• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So... absolute no humility then, huh? People are gonna prejudge this just like every other fucking thing? As if Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, and almost every other superhero all never happened?

Sojgat

So... absolute no humility then, huh? People are gonna prejudge this just like every other fucking thing? As if Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, and almost every other superhero all never happened?

Ben Affleck has everything and it's not faaaaaiiiiiiiirr :(

*sobs*

Atruvius

POI.jpg

Jim Caviezel is already playing Batman but just with out cape and the mask in Person of Interest.

The last Affleck movie I saw was Paycheck and I thought he was pretty good in it. And he kind of looks brucewaney these days. I won't knock him till I see him in the suit. http://www.imdb.com/rg/s/1/media/rm3576341248/nm0000255

eastmen

Banned
Can't believe my first comment is gonna be on this.

No more Legendary or Jeff Robinov. How do you appease (Ben Affleck) the new golden boy? Give him their prized possession (Batman).

Edit - I see it's not my first post but I (extremely very) rarely post so...

Ben Affleck...

I've seen people say that "people hated the Heath Ledger too" casting in comparison to this, "and look how that turned out". Heath Ledger was a far less proven, or rather "known" is more like it, commodity than Ben Affleck.

As you can see by the reactions all over the internet, Ben Affleck carries far more baggage than Heath Ledger does, no matter how wildly the reaction was at the time of Heath's casting and first image as the Joker.

Affleck has rebuilt his image as a "DIRECTOR", via "DIRECTING"; not acting, and damn sure not via acting in tentpole franchise movies. Just like I said above this was all to appease a guy who was a Robinov loyalist.

Keys to the kingdom.

Affleck has acted in every one of his directed movies I believe. he was great in the town and argo .

royalan

I think what's making it hard for me to grasp Ben Affleck has Batman when I was a lot more open to the idea of someone like Heath Ledger as Joker is the fact that even though Heath hadn't played a character as complex as someone like Nolan's Joker, if you followed Heath at all you knew he was a passionate actor and the fact that he hadn't played a role like Joker before gave you nothing to compare his potential performance to. For all intents and purposes, Heath Ledger was a blank slate.

But with Affleck, we've seen him not only play a brooding Superhero before (at which he was terrible), but we've seen him play other serious, brooding-type characters to get a sense of what he would be like as Batman. And, personally, I've just never been able to buy Affleck's performance in a role requiring any sort of depth and angst. Great director and writer, but as an actor he has Ryan Reynold's Syndrome - he just can't push past the slightly goofy dudebro vibe no matter what role he's playing.

Christina Bale, despite his ridiculous Batman voice, played both sides of Bruce Wayne well (the tormented crime fighter and philandering playboy billionaire). Bale is the kind of guy you can picture wearing a crisp, tailored suit and being above it all.

Ben Affleck, on the other hand, seems like the kind of guy who'd settle for a suit from Men's Warehouse and eat hotdogs during break. I think he could nail the playboy aspect of Wayne, but not the other side of him.

I dunno, I'm just not expecting much based on what we've seen of his work.

Shinta

Banned

It's okay to make an educated guess, and to discuss it. Affleck has a huge list of movies he's been in, and you can go through any and all of them and point out any roles you think might be slightly similar to Batman. Roles that show Affleck as a tough, intimidating character in any way. Roles where other characters fear him.

If he winds up nailing it, I'll be happy to eat crow. Only in very rare occasions does an actor truly pull out some new style for a role that he's never, ever done, after doing dozens of movies that all have similar styles. Tom Cruise nailing Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, and Health Ledger as Joker are really the main times I saw actors really prove everyone wrong to that degree. It doesn't happen every day.

Mariolee

Ben Affleck is weird with his choices. First, he's offered the role to direct the new Justice League movie and possibly star in it. He rejects it. WB halts the Justice League film, gives him a Superman/Batman film. He doesn't direct, he just stars.

I don't understand. If the problem was directing, I'm sure he could've opted out and just starred in the JL film. Did it seem like a mess to him? Did watching Man of Steel give Affleck the confidence that this next one will be good?

Averon

Just found out about this. Really don't know what to think.

Can Affleck pull off Bruce Wayne? Maybe. Batman? I really have my doubts.

Videoneon

AHAHAHAH.

What a disaster. loooooool

I liked Daredevil too.

I hated Daredevil. Ben Affleck doesn't seem to have the ability to pull off intimidating.

shh, no optimism or patience

only ridicule now

I'm not upset, but I am pretty surprised. I sorta had the idea that he was finished with these blockbuster types of things, and was going to stay in his George Clooney lane. Guess not.

Vice

He's gotten better at playing competent tough guys recently. A pretty good choice. Hopefully he gets to help with more aspects of the film.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's okay to make an educated guess, and to discuss it. Affleck has a huge list of movies he's been in, and you can go through any and all of them and point out any roles you think might be slightly similar to Batman. Roles that show Affleck as a tough, intimidating character in any way. Roles where other characters fear him.

If he winds up nailing it, I'll be happy to eat crow. Only in very rare occasions does an actor truly pull out some new style for a role that he's never, ever done, after doing dozens of movies that all have similar styles. Tom Cruise nailing Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, and Health Ledger as Joker are really the main times I saw actors really prove everyone wrong to that degree. It doesn't happen every day.

Give me a role pre-1989 where Michael Keaton showed that he could've been Batman. Beetlejuice? Multiplicity? How bout Mr. Mom?

Shinta

Banned
Give me a role pre-1989 where Michael Keaton showed that he could've been Batman. Beetlejuice? Multiplicity? How bout Mr. Mom?

I don't think Keaton was a good Batman, and his acting in that movie was pretty in line with his previous roles. The movie was okay at the time because of Tim Burton, and the car. Going back though, it's hard to watch. I'd say Nicholson carried the movie really.

BadAss2961

I think what's making it hard for me to grasp Ben Affleck has Batman when I was a lot more open to the idea of someone like Heath Ledger as Joker is the fact that even though Heath hadn't played a character as complex as someone like Nolan's Joker, if you followed Heath at all you knew he was a passionate actor and the fact that he hadn't played a role like Joker before gave you nothing to compare his potential performance to. For all intents and purposes, Heath Ledger was a blank slate.

But with Affleck, we've seen him not only play a brooding Superhero before (at which he was terrible), but we've seen him play other serious, brooding-type characters to get a sense of what he would be like as Batman. And, personally, I've just never been able to buy Affleck's performance in a role requiring any sort of depth and angst. Great director and writer, but as an actor he has Ryan Reynold's Syndrome - he just can't push past the slightly goofy dudebro vibe no matter what role he's playing.

Christina Bale, despite his ridiculous Batman voice, played both sides of Bruce Wayne well (the tormented crime fighter and philandering playboy billionaire). Bale is the kind of guy you can picture wearing a crisp, tailored suit and being above it all.

Ben Affleck, on the other hand, seems like the kind of guy who'd settle for a suit from Men's Warehouse and eat hotdogs during break. I think he could nail the playboy aspect of Wayne, but not the other side of him.

I dunno, I'm just not expecting much based on what we've seen of his work.
Good points. Can't argue with any of that.

I'd like to think Ben is aware that he has something to prove though. An impressive Batman would complete this new and improved image he's built for himself.

Liamario

Banned
A lot of over exaggerating here folks to be fair. He's certainly not anyone I would have considered for the role, but he definitely could surprise. It's not like they cast Orlando bloom or something.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't think Keaton was a good Batman, and his acting in that movie was pretty in line with his previous roles. The movie was okay at the time because of Tim Burton, and the car. Going back though, it's hard to watch. I'd say Nicholson carried the movie really.

Keaton was a pretty fucking intimidating Batman compared to what you'd seen in his previous work. And did The Town and Argo not happen? Are people seriously going to judge an actor based on a shitty 10 year old superhero movie that he was not the sole or even biggest problem in?

Shinta

Banned
Keaton was a pretty fucking intimidating Batman compared to what you'd seen in his previous work. And did The Town and Argo not happen? Are people seriously going to judge an actor based on a shitty 10 year old superhero movie that he was not the sole or even biggest problem in?

I saw Argo a week ago. He's a family man and a vulnerable CIA agent that plays the role of reassuring comforter to people who are scared out of their minds so they can walk through an airport. The movie was okay, and he was fine in it. I just don't see how it's relevant to Batman.

I haven't seen The Town yet. And I didnt mention Daredevil at all.

FlyFaster

I just read this via huffington post. Very sad for Batman as a series now.

I think this is possibly the worst casting decision ever. Ben Affleck is not tough.

I did not anticipate this at all but, strangely enough, am okay with it. Affleck has the capacity for good acting, but just rarely seems to really tap into it.

For example:
220px-Changing_Lanes_poster.JPG

I think the potential is there. Whether or not we get it, that's another story...

spats

I recognized the name but had to google him to remember what he looked like. He's a bit forgettable. Get George Clooney back instead or something.

rakhir

I really wanted badass Batman... I don't know Affleck has the chops to play one. As previously was said, Caviezel would be fantastic, but to be honest we now have 22 hours of him playing Batman on television every year instead, so we win anyway.

And I like Affleck in pretty much everything he does lately, but the guy has a brilliant career as a director, why do something like this?

After having a few hours to think about this, I think it's gonna work out.

Not a fan of Affleck in particular, but I think he should be able to do a decent Bruce, so it really comes down to his Batman voice.

I have faith in Snyder, the cast, and especially the crew to deliver on this. I think the hype train just got a little more powerful come to think of it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

It's not like he has ever been crap in a superhero franchise bef-- oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom