• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindoc

Silverman said:
We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.
<---

I'm mad. But some of the alternatives (Ryan Gosling and Matthew Goode) were even worse so thankfully it's not a terrible choice.

This is just gonna look awkward though, but I should hope he takes a look at the script.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay so I just woke up.

Looked on facebook, saw a "Ben Affleck is Batman and Everyone loses their mind" Joker pic

Thought it was a stupid joke of some kind

read GAF...

Want to go back to bed now

What the hell is going on?

I went to sleep in a world where Ben Affleck wasn't Batman only to wake up in a twilight zone inspired hell where the opposite is true.

Well atleast Ben';s parents are proud of him
ben-affleck-south-park.jpg

He's been a wack actor in everything though, his brother was much better.

Though he does have the look for the part, and it doesn't take much chops to pull off Bruce Wayne/Batman so it's fine. It's gonna be really distracting though unless they give him major screentime to allow us to get accustomed to it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You know what i hope this movie has more than anything else? Lenses over batman's eyes. Seriously the makeup and being able to see the eyes is just lame.

Lenses and voice altering tech (that changes his voice to Kevin Conroy!) please.

Ben Affleck will make a great Batman and Bruce Wayne.

I get why people would be hesitant, but I'm a little surprised by the vitriol. Modern Affleck is not the Affleck we grew up with. Dude's grown a lot as an actor. And of all the actors that have played Bats, this guy actually has the most Batman-like physique before production even begins. I guess everyone just thinks of Daredevil. And the fact this casting just seems so "Hollywood," as opposed to the surprise castings of Cavil, Bale, Ledger, Hardy, and such.

I don't know if this is good news, but it's not a death sentence.

hal9001

Banned
iovQARDU6PC4d.gif

Wow this was unexpected. A bit of an overreaction from some people though. You never know he might turn out to be a really good Batman.

I really really wish the studio would boot Snyder and Goyer and let Affleck take over the whole project and bring in his own writer. Don't make the same mistake Marvel did with the Norton Hulk movie.

Sean

Banned
While I admit my initial reaction was WTF, I think Ben Affleck will be fine in the role. He's really turned his career around in a major way these past couple of years and as proven that he's a capable actor and director.

The real worry here should be the writer and director.

D.Lo

It's bad because now it will be like 10 years until we get a good Superman OR Batman.
Just like Spiderman, they're digging in with their terrible decisions and we're stuck with Spidershit for at least a decade.
Marvel and even to a lesser extent Fox now look like GENIUSES compared to WB and Sony.

I will now be 40 before I get to see another great interpretation of Superman or Spiderman on the screen, because the current ones are flawed to their core.

I do not understand how they do not just give this shit to Bruce Timm to produce.

It's bad because now it will be like 10 years until we get a good Superman OR Batman.
Just like Spiderman, they're digging in with their terrible decisions and we're stuck with Spidershit for at least a decade.
Marvel and even to a lesser extent Fox now look like GENIUSES compared to WB and Sony.

I do not understand how they do not just give this shit to Bruce Timm to produce.

Ten years from now they will hire some then hip new 20 year olds to play batman and supes and people will be even more furious

Marvel's definitely done a huge turnaround for me

I'm really glad with the talent they chose for Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. WB/DC is kind of digging themselves in a hole unless they decide to allow their universe to expand beyond Goyer's lame ass.

SteveWD40

Well, pre: The Town I would have been even more shocked, but now I can sort of see him at least having the physicality.

What I don't get is why?

They could have got someone far cheaper, they don't need a big name to get people to come and see a Batman / Superman film.

Affleck has carved a nice niche as an actor director in the vain of Eastwood and Clooney, critical acclaim, making your own movies etc... He doesn't need this.

It would have been a good platform to launch someone like Richard Armitage.

Oh and Affleck was turned off superhero flicks by Daredevil I thought?

Edit: not sure if it's been mentioned, but remember when that Batman/Superman film was getting thrown around and they had Jude Law as Superman and Colin Farrell as Batman?...yeah, this is better.

Maximus.

I think this is a good decision, but I feel the bigger concern is Goyer and Snyder. Affleck has really turned his career around compared to his troubled past :p

Grant Heslov to follow after Affleck as the next Batman?

Edit: I'd love to see a shot of all the previous Batman actors standing together. Val and Keaton would look the worst, especially next to Bale, Clooney and Affleck.

movies-oscars-argo-grant-heslov-ben-affleck-george-clooney.jpg

Clevinger

What I don't get is why?

They could have got someone far cheaper, they don't need a big name to get people to come and see a Batman / Superman film.

Affleck has carved a nice niche as an actor director in the vain of Eastwood and Clooney, critical acclaim, making your own movies etc... He doesn't need this.

There were those rumors they wanted him to direct the Justice League movie, right? Maybe this is a way to get him to do it and hopefully it's a way to get Snyder and Goyer to eventually fuck off from the franchise.

On the flip side, he probably wants to take a break from smaller movies and dive into that blockbuster cash for a while.

ReiGun

There were those rumors they wanted him to direct the Justice League movie, right? Maybe this is a way to get him to do it and hopefully it's a way to get Snyder and Goyer to eventually fuck off from the franchise.
I really think this is it. Not only that, but I imagine he's going to have bit of creative pull in the production of Superman/Batman as well.

SteveWD40

On the flip side, he probably wants to take a break from smaller movies and dive into that blockbuster cash for a while.

Perhaps yeah, as much cash as he already has he probably spends it as quick as he earns it, like many people in that life.

What I find funny is that despite Batman and Robin, I think most fans would openly welcome Clooney as a DKR type old cynical Bats. I feel, similarly, Affleck has matured a lot since his Daredevil days.

Perhaps he'll ghost direct a few scenes in MoS 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom