• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron

afleck is 6'4 and if you throw him in the gym for 6 months he will be jacked . He is already in good shape

ben_affleck2.jpg

iSsRiG4IGFP8Q.gif

Parch

There were a lot more people who hated Daredevil than liked it. A LOT MORE.

I'm stunned that Affleck would even be considered for the role. Terrible, risky choice.

megamerican

It's pretty surprising. Especially right after a Best Picture win. He's a talented director, but seriously hit or miss as an actor. I would have to say he seems too naturally smug for the Batman role. We'll see though. I was impressed with him in Hollywoodland and The Town.

There were a lot more people who hated Daredevil than liked it. A LOT MORE.

I'm stunned that Affleck would even be considered for the role. Terrible, risky choice.

Since Daredevil he's become an award winning actor and director, reinvented his entire image and become the darling of Hollywood. I think that's on their mind more than a movie from 10 years ago. It's not risky at all. He's a pretty big name, who is generally become well liked. It's a lot less risky than Bale or Keaton were.

Avinexus

I can't wait simply for the aftermath. Some people hated Christian Bale's version, its going to be the end of the world with Affleck's version.

Can't believe my first comment is gonna be on this.

No more Legendary or Jeff Robinov. How do you appease (Ben Affleck) the new golden boy? Give him their prized possession (Batman).

Edit - I see it's not my first post but I (extremely very) rarely post so...

Ben Affleck...

I've seen people say that "people hated the Heath Ledger too" casting in comparison to this, "and look how that turned out". Heath Ledger was a far less proven, or rather "known" is more like it, commodity than Ben Affleck.

As you can see by the reactions all over the internet, Ben Affleck carries far more baggage than Heath Ledger does, no matter how wildly the reaction was at the time of Heath's casting and first image as the Joker.

Affleck has rebuilt his image as a "DIRECTOR", via "DIRECTING"; not acting, and damn sure not via acting in tentpole franchise movies. Just like I said above this was all to appease a guy who was a Robinov loyalist.

Keys to the kingdom.

megamerican

Yeah folks let's keep in mind here that Keaton was such an unpopular choice that they had to cobble footage together in an impromptu trailer over a year before release just to quell the bad publicity about his casting.

Shinta

Banned
if the "aftermath"= two $1 billion grossing movies I'm sure WB will be okay with it. Those "some people" were a vocal minority.

We're not talking about finances. The movie will be a success, and he's fine in that capacity.

We're talking about whether or not it's the best artistic choice, or whether or not it fits the character well.

BadAss2961

I picture Affleck as a calm, generically voiced, safe Batman that doesn't embarrass himself in the role, but doesn't impress the fanboys or the mainstream either. I can't imagine him as imposing or intimidating, so badass Batman is probably out.

One bright side to this is they could've done a lot worse. Some of the names brought up over the past few weeks were fucking scary.

We're not talking about finances. The movie will be a success, and he's fine in that capacity.

We're talking about whether or not it's the best artistic choice, or whether or not it fits the character well.

If people go to see it over and over to the tune of a $1 billion gross, then how is it not the best choice? The consumers voted with their wallets.

Shinta

Banned
I picture Affleck as a calm, generically voiced, safe Batman that doesn't embarrass himself in the role, but doesn't impress the fanboys or the mainstream either. I can't imagine him as imposing or intimidating, so badass Batman is probably out.

Exactly. I think he's almost going to be the comic relief. More like Downey Jr.'s Iron Man. Running from the invincible Superman, hilarity ensues.

does Affleck even lift

This is like discussing popes in an interim period between social upheaval popes

Coins

Banned
What the fuck is happening in the world? Nine Inch Nails releases a shit song and Affleck is Batman?

Fuck, just shoot me.

BadAss2961

Exactly. I think he's almost going to be the comic relief. More like Downey Jr.'s Iron Man. Running from the invincible Superman, hilarity ensues.
Oh god no. The last thing Batman should ever be in a serious movie is comic relief. It's not gonna be that bad.

Ben's gonna do alright, I just don't see him nailing any aspect of Batman. I'm more pissed about all the hype left on the table with Bale not returning than this casting.

My first reaction was disappointment but then I remembered Chris Evens being cast as Captain America. I think the situations are similar beyond the whole "played a super hero before" thing, except Affleck had rehabilitated his image before this wheras I think being Steve Rogers is what did that for Evans.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I feel really alienated from nerd rage explosions like this these days.

He's not an amazing choice or an amazing actor, but he does good work. It's not like there were any stunning performances in Man of Steel.

In the tradition of Christian Bale, I hope Affleck uses a separate voice for Batman when he puts the cowl on...

...and I hope that voice is a thick Boston accent, with no explanation.

Make it happen, WB, make it happen.

Dany

Banned
I feel really alienated from nerd rage explosions like this these days.

He's not an amazing choice or an amazing actor, but he does good work. It's not like there were any stunning performances in Man of Steel.
Like seriously. This thread is crazy.

mrhGB

Banned
When I think of bad ass I don't think of Affleck. He's a big name but completely wrong for the part IMO. I guess we'll see if he can pull it off.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
But Affleck can direct...

Honest answers. Who would you guys have wanted to play Batman?
Jensen Ackles, but I've been pushing for him since the other thread.

Ben Affleck just seems so out of left field, and it seems an odd choice when they basically could've cast anyone they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom