• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

I am cautiously optimistic. If for the mere fact that I truly believe that Kevin Smith could influence Affleck in how he portrays this role.

Kevin eat, smokes, sleeps and shits Batman. If anyone is good to have as a friend for a role such as this its him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I am cautiously optimistic. If for the mere fact that I truly believe that Kevin Smith could influence Affleck in how he portrays this role.

Kevin eat, smokes, sleeps and shits Batman. If anyone is good to have as a friend for a role such as this its him.

True, but he also ate, smoked, slept, shat and wrote Daredevil. How did that work out?

Yazus

iUdrZs6dqLTkP.jpg

Kaladin

I can see Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne easily, but as Batman? I don't know if I have seen him be that kind of a dark and serious character.

I'll probably check it out once it drops on bluray, but the fact that so many die hard Superman fans thought the movie was shit is telling.

Maybe. I mean, I'm about as far from a Superman die hard fan as you can get and it's the first time I've ever given a shit about anything Superman related. I've always found the property to be cool or whatever, but none of the movies really ever did anything for me, including the Donner movies. I've just always thought that Superman movies should have a pretty basic/easy story, decent characters, a villain that poses a physical match for him, and a lot of fast paced, flashy action. That was Man of Steel in a nutshell IMO.

So yeah I suppose my viewpoint on it is very shallow. I can acknowledge that. But I had a lot of fun with it.

Also in my defense this has been the most putrid summer for popcorn movies since 2008 (which had only TDK and not a goddamn thing else).

Your post needs a reboot.

jett

D-Member
Sleeping on it, I suppose it's not that awful. It's not like Man Of Steel raised any bars or anything, anyway. I guess I'm going with low expectations. It's definitely going to be Ben Affleck in a suit, though. He just has that Clooney thing going on where he's unable to disappear into his roles.

Solo's new Green Lantern.

aw sheeeeeit

jett

D-Member
So many mentions of Daredevil in here (as a strike against Affleck/reason why he shouldn't have been cast as Batman).....are you guys for fucking real?

Daredevil was a mediocre (critically and financially) popcorn movie he starred in 10 years ago. NO ONE (outside of internet forum posters) thinks of Daredevil when they think of Ben Affleck. They think of the 2007 onwards, career-rehabilitated, critical darling Ben Affleck who just won Best Picture and is now one of the more powerful figures in Hollywood.

He's a critical darling because of his directorial skills, it has noting to do with his acting. Even you would admit he's the weak link in both Argo and The Town. Although honestly he wasn't bad in either, but he's not particularly good either.

Also in my defense this has been the most putrid summer for popcorn movies since 2008 (which had only TDK and not a goddamn thing else).

You've hereby been expelled from the Speed Racer Fan Club!

regardless of who the actor would have been, it does not change the fact that Zach Snyder is the director.
So the movie will suck no matter what

vio

I never though of him as Batman but i think he is ok. We should be more worried about script and movie editing/pace.

I can see Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne easily, but as Batman? I don't know if I have seen him be that kind of a dark and serious character.

He doesn't look too bad in the cowl, but the rest is all wrong. He just gives off this lightweight 'regular American dude' vibe. No real gravitas or weight.

jett

D-Member
I never though of him as Batman but i think he is ok. We should be more worried about script and movie editing/pace.

Oh, we don't have to worry about that at all. We already know it's going to suck ass in those departments. DAT GOYER+SNYDER SCRIPT.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My initial reaction to this was negative but after reading a bunch of this thread I've come to the conclusion this is the best possible decision they could have made.

Solo

He's a critical darling because of his directorial skills, it has noting to do with his acting. Even you would admit he's the weak link in both Argo and The Town. Although honestly he wasn't bad in either, but he's not particularly good either.

I actually thought he was really good in The Town. In Argo he was just serviceable. But loved him in The Town.

Hope he casts Rebecca Hall in something again in the future.

I was thinking 300, Sucker Punch and Watchmen, chief. I haven't had the pleasure of MoS yet.

Sorry. Pretty fun flick, and the first Zack Snyder movie I've enjoyed since Dawn of the Dead. I loathed 300 and Watchmen.

Legend of the Guardians was just weird. Didn't see Sucker Punch; I have no desire to do that to myself.

vio

regardless of who the actor would have been, it does not change the fact that Zach Snyder is the director.
So the movie will suck no matter what

It`s difficult to say who`s fault is for MOS problems. Zack, Goyer or Warner Bros? Movie looks like result of too many people with different opinions being involved.

300, Watchmen and Dawn of The Dead are good movies. They are far from being sucky. MOS is quite a mess but it is also a good blockbuster movie. It is not Batman Begins or TDK, but it comes very close to TDKR. In MOS he showed again great sense for visuals and action scenes. And on top of that, he managed to pull a good performance out of Henry Cavill which is great achievement in my opinion.

The Cowboy

6 months ago I would have been annoyed, but after actually seeing MoS - having Ben Affleck as Batman in the same universe as that movie can't make it any worse.

Do I think he will be a good Batman? - not really, do I care after MoS - not really.

Vestal

He doesn't look too bad in the cowl, but the rest is all wrong. He just gives off this lightweight 'regular American dude' vibe. No real gravitas or weight.
you could make that same case for Keaton before he was Batman and he pulled it off with flying colors.

It`s difficult to say who`s fault is for MOS problems. Zack, Goyer or Warner Bros? Movie looks like result of too many people with different opinions being involved.

300, Watchmen and Dawn of The Dead are good movies. They are far from being sucky. MOS is quite a mess but it is also a good blockbuster movie. It is not Batman Begins or TDK, but it comes very close to TDKR. In MOS he showed again great sense for visuals and action scenes. And on top of that, he managed to pull a good performance out of Henry Cavill which is great achievement in my opinion.

Yeah, well, whoever's fault it is, all three are back for this movie, so it's not promising.

Anyway, maybe this will lead to a Batman movie written and directed by Affleck. That'd be pretty good.

I hope his Batman also has Argo bangs... like, over the cowl.
Seriously though, its also time for the cowl to have short ears. Maybe that will be part of the TDKR influence this movie seems to want to run with.

vio

Oh, we don't have to worry about that at all. We already know it's going to suck ass in those departments. DAT GOYER+SNYDER SCRIPT.

Goyer`s writing is very poor and he gets too much credit for Batman trilogy. He is nothing without Nolan Brothers. But anyway, going somewhat off topic now.

Of course, Internet doesn't seem to understand what "acting" means and just believe his persona will be just like the one of a previous, totally unrelated movie.

Guys, it's not like doing a Batman is difficulty. You just have to be serious, broody, and shit.

Jarnet87

movie is going to be a sh*t show. Synder directing which means he'll just focus on the dark blue/grey/brown visuals while the execs will hire any writer to do a paint by numbers super hero script. Then because it's 2 heroes, we'll get double the crap. 2 villains, 2 love interests, 2 comic reliefs. This will be a disasterpiece for the ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom