• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just won WB a best picture Oscar, after making them serious coin with both The Town and Argo. It was likely a series of discussions. I doubt there's a suit yet.

DrBo42

Ben Affleck is Batman? Coach? I don't think we survived that crash.

I'll save my judgment for the first trailer

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how the selection process for this went down. I mean did Affleck actually have to put the costume on, give Snyder and the WB execs the Batman voice and show them something that impressed them? Or was this selection made off of a few phone calls and given to him because of the 'star power' and media curiosity he'd bring to this?

Hollywood mega agents & dumbfuck movie execs. Need I say any more?

Jetman

He just won WB a best picture Oscar, after making them serious coin with both The Town and Argo. It was likely a series of discussions. I doubt there's a suit yet.

I really hope it isn't a case of clout, who you know contact wise, and a "good ole boy" system that got him this role.
I've seen a lot of movies with Affleck in them over the years. A Lot. A few were alright. A whole lot weren't. At least one where he played the role of a vigilante/ Batman-like superhero that was horrible.
I'm all for giving the guy a chance....you know what.....? No, I'm not. This is fucking Batman. Better yet a Batman Vs. Superman movie that I've been excited to see since I saw the Batman animated series and Superman Animated Series team-up back in the day. If they chose him just based on who he is and his directing ability ( and he's not directing this he's ACTING in it) then to hell with WB and this movie. Seriously.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how the selection process for this went down. I mean did Affleck actually have to put the costume on, give Snyder and the WB execs the Batman voice and show them something that impressed them? Or was this selection made off of a few phone calls and given to him because of the 'star power' and media curiosity he'd bring to this?

Depends. It would have been over a series of meetings. He could have woman suit or part of a suit. Probably read a few lines with the Henry. No way was he simply cast because of his status.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bale's voice was not his own; That Batman (and Bane) voice you heard in those movies were synthesized in post production. That's Nolan. Bale can create characters.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I think they did end up cleaning banes voice in parts though.

Jetman

Depends. It would have been over a series of meetings. He could have woman suit or part of a suit. Probably read a few lines with the Henry. No way was he simply cast because of his status.

I'd love for this to be true. But based on what I've seen of his acting abilities (yes, I've seen The Town, no, I haven't seen Argo yet but it'd have to be completely phenomenal to convince me otherwise) I think the odds of it are slim. Until I hear further details of a selection process, who almost got the part and why they didn't, etc. etc. I don't think I'll feel safe that he can pull this off yet. I want to hear someone on the inside say " Yes, he nailed the performance he gave us to the wall. He owned it! We made the right choice!" until then I don't think I'll feel good about him.

Smash88

Banned
Going through the first couple of pages of this thread, it reminds me exactly of similar threads when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker.

I'm say we all save our judgements until the movie comes out and then go from there.

Arment

I read it years ago and will search again. As a stage actor , I know there's no way you work a scene for six hours a day making that sound without losing your voice or even risking surgery. I'm almost positive that it is synthesized

Here

Though much of the voice effect is Bale's own doing, under the guidance of director Christopher Nolan and supervising sound editor Richard King, the frequency of his Batman voice was modulated to exaggerate the effect.

Critics and fans have noticed.

Jetman

No one bitched about ledgers acting iirc. They simply thought he was miscast. People don't have faith in Ben as an actor. Different scenarios.

Exactly. I hadn't seen Ledger in between 10-20 (? i dont want to IMDB it) box office movies that were far less than stellar AND I'd never seen a movie where Ledger actually played a homicidal super villain role prior to Dark Knight. That's not the case with Affleck. He has played a superhero before and he has sucked at it.

Mariolee

No one bitched about ledgers acting iirc. They simply thought he was miscast. People don't have faith in Ben as an actor. Different scenarios.

You remember wrong.

How do you miscast a good actor? If they're good then they'll play the role well. If you think someone is miscast, then that is a criticism/bitch of their acting ability.

Jetman

OK then, fair point. So do you think Ben Affleck is as far removed from the character of Batman as Richard Dreyfuss is from Captain America?

How about Brad Pitt? Not a horrible actor but not good for Batman role. How about Tom Hanks? Edward Norton? and shit, these are actually good actors.

Atruvius

tumblr_mrzu9tniJP1r2kbs0o1_500.jpg

JESUS CHRIST ....People ,if you are easily fooled ,by a Great Photoshop editing.

You might deserve a ASS movie in the making.

My OWN Personal opinion about Ben Affleck is that his real life demeanor is to silly and loose for this role.

He's not dark enough for the character role.

His voice and intimidation attitude have to be on point ,some thing Ben doesn't have on his Best acting days.

We have to be more Concerned about the Character , cause if I was the Creator and DC I'll be shit mad about some of the content that got pushed out in the past years.

Plain and Simple we have to get this right!!!

Did you know that there is this cool thing called acting and a person acting is called an actor? These actors act a character who can greatly differ from the actor's real life persona, pretty cool don't you think. Eg. Bryan Cranston isn't actually this evil killing drug lord Walter White, he's just acting a sociopath. In real life Cranston seems to be a pretty nice guy but by acting he can become the bad guy.

v1oz

Lol ha ha did anyone watch Dare Devil? Ben Affleck is not a super hero, doesn't look or move like one and is definitely not imposing enough on screen. He's better suited to other roles.

tino

Banned
Weird that you'd namecheck Ang Lee in post arguing that Directors are specialized talents.

The guy who directed

Eat Drink Man Woman
Ride With the Devil
Hulk
Life of Pi
The Ice Storm
Brokeback Mountain
Sense and Sensibility

is almost exactly the OPPOSITE of what you're arguing for.

Directors don't have to be limited by the genre they first achieve success in. And many aren't. You using Ang Lee to posit that Directors NEED to be confined to the skill set you first recognize them for tells me you need to tinker with that theory a little more. Watch a few more movies. Make note of a few more directors.

You missed the best CTHD and the crap Lust Caution.

Ang Iee's Idol is Howard Hawks and he wanted to be as versatile as Hwaks. He kind of failed that goal though. I would not trust Ang Lee with a Fast and Furious movie or Bond movie. Now Howard Hawks, I would trust him with a Bond movie.

Ang Lee's *good* movies are much more similar than you think. They all have interesting exotic backdrop with characters mostly with restraint emotions, sometimes have problem communicating. My favorite out of this "Ang Lee genre" is Sense and Sensibility.

Ben Affleck hasn't proved beyond small thrillers. Now he may be a good director for Justice League simply because its just a lame rip off movie, nobody has high expectation,besides the comic book people who are easy to pleased.

zoukka

A very logical and probably a very successful choice if I may say. Sure he's done some shit movies, but most superhero casts consist of b-tier actors anyway.

tino

Banned
The whole movie was mind-numbingly stupid.

Its also quite ignorant of the country and people of Iran. I would not surprise if Ben Affleck didn't even go to Iran once.

It's big love song to Hollywood, plus a CIA kisser. On top of that, casually skip over all the Canadians hardworks.

Look George Clooney has been doing this kind of work for years, but he would not go for this low hanging fruit just to get a cheap nomination out of it.

Solo

I thought Bale pulled off the best Wayne in terms of fighting, namely when he disarms the thugs in TDK.

He was stiff as shit in TDK. That opening scene is laughable due to how stiff, slow, and mechanical Batman moves when disabling those thugs in the parking garage.

Angry Fork

Snyder/goyer as writer/director is much worse for this project than Affleck as Batman. I don't think Affleck would be a good Batman, he's too famous and obvious but I don't think he's a terrible actor. Snyder/goyer however are responsible for Man of Steel, which was really bad. So I'm not too bothered by this news as the movie is not going to be a serious one, it will likely be worse than MoS, and just filled with a bunch of 'epic' moments.

It is really funny seeing the internet go ape shit over this though.

v1oz

He was stiff as shit in TDK. That opening scene is laughable due to how stiff, slow, and mechanical Batman moves when disabling those thugs in the parking garage.

Well the Batman suit he wears is exactly built for combat. The Chris Nolan Batman movies weren't known for their fight choreography.

Blader

I think the worst thing about this news is what it means for Affleck's other directing gigs: Live by Night delayed, and The Stand and Tell No One both dropped completely. Really too bad.

You forgot the nightclub fight

Nightclub is one of the better fight scenes because of the atmosphere of the thing: Batman very quickly making his way to Maroni, tossing guys left and right, going in and out of vision because of the strobe lights. I thought it worked.

also, for all this talk about how Snyder can finally do Batman fight scenes justice, the action in Man of Steel was really not all that good. Clark/Faora fight in Smallville was fantastic, but that was only a couple minutes. The other hour and a half of fighting was just mind-numbing.

akira28

I was intrugued with the idea of a young and crazy Joker. I expected a lot of youthful exuberance and vigor.

I don't want this dude to be Batman. He should have been Green Lantern or something. Something will happen. Something will prevent this. I know.

Maybe a World War 3.

Batman is more than just some growling dude in a suit and cape, skulking around in the dark. He's more than preptime. He's more than some trained assassin that has a no-kill code. I don't think Affleck can work up to display the maturity and confidence and the arrogance necessary to play the Batman. Maybe he could have been Dickbat, but he...he doesn't have it in him. Maybe he'll do a passable job. We've been accepting those since Val Kilmer, and redifining what a passing grade means with each attempt. But this is just dashing the potential away before any thing even gets started.

Sort of like how Keaton had to comically move his entire body to look anywhere but straight ahead. But of course nobody wants to remember that.

Blader

Its also quite ignorant of the country and people of Iran. I would not surprise if Ben Affleck didn't even go to Iran once.

It's big love song to Hollywood, plus a CIA kisser. On top of that, casually skip over all the Canadians hardworks.

Look George Clooney has been doing this kind of work for years, but he would not go for this low hanging fruit just to get a cheap nomination out of it.

Did we watch the same movie? It absolutely addresses the situation in Iran and the Canadians efforts.

If it opened with just an angry mob and no context given, then you'd have a point. But that's not what happened.

You missed the best CTHD and the crap Lust Caution.

Ang Iee's Idol is Howard Hawks and he wanted to be as versatile as Hwaks. He kind of failed that goal though. I would not trust Ang Lee with a Fast and Furious movie or Bond movie. Now Howard Hawks, I would trust him with a Bond movie.

I figured Crouching Tiger was a given :)

I don't understand how you can look at that resume and think Lee couldn't handle a Bond movie.

Directing is a skillset that allows for multiple genres. It doesn't HAVE to be a specialized thing, and for many directors, it isn't at all.

Just because you haven't seen a director do something, doesn't mean they can't do it.

Lotta people thought Spielberg couldn't handle a political thriller. And then he did Munich.
Lotta people thought Scorsese couldn't do a costume drama. Then he did Age of Innocence.
Lotta people thought Chris Nolan couldn't do a Batman movie.

Anyone watch Iron Giant and think that guy would go on to direct the best Superhero movie ever made, which just so happens to ALSO be a love letter to James Bond movies?

There's so much that goes into directing that if a director sticks with a genre, it's more likely that it's less a ceiling they hit, and more that they just WANT to stay in that genre, not that they couldn't break out of it.

Clevinger

Man. Ben cannot catch a break. even people like Jeri Ryan are mocking the idea

Yeah, I bet he's real broken up about landing a lead role in a blockbuster and possibly directing a sequel. If only he could be in some shitty procedural on TV like Jeri Ryan. Poor guy.

Toxi

Banned

Agreed on all accounts.

Most of the characters are bland, especially the embassy escapees; how am I supposed to feel anything towards them when the only one with a personality is a bit of a jackass? It's clear that I'm supposed to sympathize with them because "they're American", yet I barely know anything about them. As is, I can only care about them because Ben Affleck's character cares about them. And I get that the Iranian government are supposed to come across as fearsome, but the movie makes them look like idiots.

And yes, I'm treating them like characters and not real people, but that's because half of Argo is pure fiction, a bunch of shit that Hollywood and Americans are supposed to cheer at instead of question. Argo is bad because it's a work of fiction masquerading as a retelling of history, so it fails in both regards.

Did we watch the same movie? It absolutely addresses the situation in Iran and the Canadians efforts.

If it opened with just an angry mob and no context given, then you'd have a point. But that's not what happened.
Bullshit. Affleck even basically apologized.

The intro is lazy because the rest of the movie does not match the intro's narrative. It's like, "These are the reasons why the Iranian Revolution happened, we're trying to give a balanced perspective, now let's just have the Iranians become a bunch of buffoons for the next two hours." It's shoddy film-making because it makes the intro feel out-of-place, even when it's supposed to give vital background information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom