• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

You know with Ben Affleck now as Batman and him having such a close relationship with Warner Bros in regard this is own films he's really in a position to offer suggestions in regard to the script and how something is directed. This could potentially be a a significant positive for those that have concerns regarding both Snyder and Goyer. Are they going to ignore the Oscar award winning director that could potentially go on to direct a Batman film and in turn make their own film look worse by comparison if they ignore his input. He's a director and writer himself and he might not want to step on their toes but if he does feel the need (why wouldn't he if something really stands out to him as not working or there could be a better way) to say something, being an actor, director, and comic book nerd himself (I believe this has been the case) would they really be in the position to not to listen?

That's a good point and I wouldn't be surprised if his contract had some kind of script rewrite clause in it.

Darn, you stole my ace.

Was gonna go with Christian Bale, Conroy and
Peter Weller.

I thought Bruce Greenwood was pretty good too

KaBv2aJ.jpg
lol would honestly be a worthwhile reboot if he did the accent

Calcium

Banned
Wow, I really don't get the fan backlash on this one. The dude has made some bad movies sure, but he's been pretty damn impressive lately. I thought he was great in Argo and The Town. It'll be a different Batman than we're used to, but after three movies of Christian Bale straining his voice to sound like a badass I'm all for a different direction.

iamblades

Wow, I really don't get the fan backlash on this one. The dude has made some bad movies sure, but he's been pretty damn impressive lately. I thought he was great in Argo and The Town. It'll be a different Batman than we're used to, but after three movies of Christian Bale straining his voice to sound like a badass I'm all for a different direction.

^^

Everyone knows superhero movies(that aren't Iron Man) are carried by their villians, not the heroes anyway. Bale may be a better actor than Affleck, but you wouldn't know it from watching his Batman movies. Bale is basically the worst part of those movies.

It's kind of a surprising move, given that they don't really need an A list name for batman and Affleck has had so much success directing that he doesn't really need a starring role like this, but it makes a whole lot more sense if it's part of an overall deal that includes him directing.

Affleck's bad movies were never because he was a bad actor, even if he is no Daniel Day Lewis, he is perfectly serviceable for a summer blockbuster.

hirokazu

I think he'll be fine. Anyway, he can't be worse than Superman vs. Batman as a whole is going to be, nor will his presence make the movie any worse than was going to be. I'll still look forward to it regardless.

You're all just a bunch on whiny pansies.

tino

Banned
Ben Affleck is a better director than Joss Whedon

The best director working today with most Best Director Oscar awards couldn't direct a Hulk movie for shit. The fact that Ben Afflect can direct a good thriller doesn't mean he can direct a much larger scaled action fantasy movie.

People in this thread don't understand there are specialization in movie directing.

The best director working today with most Best Director Oscar awards couldn't direct a Hulk movie for shit. The fact that Ben Afflect can direct a good thriller doesn't mean he can direct a much larger scaled action fantasy movie.

People in this thread don't understand there are specialization in movie directing.
Make it a crime film.

He can direct a crime film.

Weird that you'd namecheck Ang Lee in post arguing that Directors are specialized talents.

The guy who directed

Eat Drink Man Woman
Ride With the Devil
Hulk
Life of Pi
The Ice Storm
Brokeback Mountain
Sense and Sensibility

is almost exactly the OPPOSITE of what you're arguing for.

Directors don't have to be limited by the genre they first achieve success in. And many aren't. You using Ang Lee to posit that Directors NEED to be confined to the skill set you first recognize them for tells me you need to tinker with that theory a little more. Watch a few more movies. Make note of a few more directors.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I said a whole lot of "just wait. You have no idea." when ledger was cast as joker.

i have nothing for you here

Jetman

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how the selection process for this went down. I mean did Affleck actually have to put the costume on, give Snyder and the WB execs the Batman voice and show them something that impressed them? Or was this selection made off of a few phone calls and given to him because of the 'star power' and media curiosity he'd bring to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom