• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There's been zero progress for Guts since the misadventure with the Sea God.

Although, you might wanna read the newer chapters - getting our first look into Falconia has been with the years of build up.

There's been zero progress for Guts since the misadventure with the Sea God.

Although, you might wanna read the newer chapters - getting our first look into Falconia has been with the years of build up.

:<

i.... will avoid for now. i still remember the last time i gave it a chance i just ended up wanting to reread volume 1 to 17ish.

falconia doesnt really... grab my interest.... sigh.

Moaradin

Started reading this manga almost a year ago and I just got caught up last night. Loved it from beginning to end. I heard stories of the infamous boat, but it isn't so bad when you can read years worth of material in a few days. Lol.

The Fantasia arc has a lot of potential and it seems like Guts and crew will finally reach Elfheim soon? Although who knows how long that will actually take with Berserk's release schedule. Also the latest chapter with
Rickert slapping the shit out of Griffith
was awesome.

Fjordson

I'm on volume 5 right now. I fucking love it so far. Have volume 6 already but I'm going to place a big order on In Stock probably tomorrow because I'm flying through these.

Frog-fu

Banned
Heya.

Was banned for a week and had plenty of time to waste so I started reading the manga. Was pretty much hooked immediately. I'm 25 volumes in and am loving it.

A few random notes
  • Guts was such a dick upon his introduction but he seemed to mellow out real quick
  • Puck is da real MVP
  • Griffith is a cunt
  • Whoever said big swords are lame is a fucking liar
  • The art and attention to detail is stupidly good, just mindblowingly so, to the point I can't even guess how long even a single panel takes to create, the greatest example from the top off my head are the trolls, just wtf, so damn good
  • Griffith is a cunt
  • I really hope Casca recovers, but I don't think it's going to happen, which is a shame
  • Isidiro AKA Mini Guts is either going to die young or grow up to be a monster
  • I didn't quite realise how old Berserk is and how long it's been running, which, while awesome, makes me anxious for when I finally catch up
  • Griffith is a cunt
  • Skull Knight or whatever his name is is a badass of epic proportions, second only to Guts himself
  • I wonder if and how Guts will achieve vengeance - powerful as he is, he's still human and the 5 Angels still wreck him like nothing where I'm currently at
  • Griffith is a cunt
  • I predict Guts might lose his current crew ala Eclipse and descend into darkness all over again, I kind of want that to happen, but I've grown fond of Farnese, Serpico and Isidiro, so I kind of don't

Moaradin

I think the anime is mostly superior to the movies in most areas, except for the third movie. i thought that one did the Eclipse better.

Both pale in comparison to the manga though.

LaneDS

and forget the anime series ever existed (except the movies they're pretty good)

And then remember the anime, because it's also pretty awesome.

Do all of that in the above order and then add in anger once you're all caught up and you're set.

FootballFan

I want to get around to reading the manga but it seems like most people are just angry with it for some reason lol.

I feel like I should wait until it is done before I start reading.

Loved the anime though.

Edit
Also, the movies look absolutely dreadful(the art is yuck imo)

Dugna

And then remember the anime, because it's also pretty awesome.

Do all of that in the above order and then add in anger once you're all caught up and you're set.

This must be opposite day.

Manga > Anime >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Movies.

I think the anime is mostly superior to the movies in most areas, except for the third movie. i thought that one did the Eclipse better.

Both pale in comparison to the manga though.

How the heck is the anime series better then the movies? The movies are pretty detailed and show most of the known series in far less time then the anime.

Moaradin

How the heck is the anime series better then the movies? The movies are pretty detailed and show most of the known series in far less time then the anime.

The movies feel like they are just going scene to scene without any of the proper build up and character development needed to make anything matter.

Dugna

The movies feel like they are just going scene to scene without any of the proper build up and character development needed to make anything matter.

But there wasn't much character build up for the Band of the Hawk outside of Griffith and Guts in the manga either....

They're not detailed at all. They play like a greatest hits reel with no buildup and the feelings about what you're watching never have any time to land. At least the anime didn't have breakneck pacing that ruined like every story beat.

Dugna

They're not detailed at all. They play like a greatest hits reel with no buildup and the feelings about what you're watching never have any time to land. At least the anime didn't have breakneck pacing that ruined like every story beat.

I reread the manga from the beginning and the movies didn't miss much from the beginning till the eclipse.

Dugna

Except time to breathe or to actually have any feelings about what you're watching.

Except the movies got longer and longer as they went on...and will probably be very long by the time the series ends. The whole point of the movies was to adapt the manga fully and it has done a pretty good job so far from what I think.

Except the movies got longer and longer as they went on...and will probably be very long by the time the series ends. The whole point of the movies was to adapt the manga fully and it has done a pretty good job so far from what I think.

A good adaptation isn't just hitting all of the requisite plot points with no regard for pacing. The anime isn't all that faithful of an adaption but it's ultimately much better because it can actually evoke the feelings that it's supposed to. I felt nothing at all watching the movies, it was just a bunch of stuff happening in sequence. I also didn't think the movies improved significantly over their span, and there's no indication that they'll ever make more. It's probably for the best that they don't.

f0lken

I know I am in the minority but after reading all available chapters of the manga I'd say that obviously the manga is the best Berserk available, but I liked the movies waaaaaaaaay better than the anime

Dahbomb

God damn it every time this thread gets bumped I get hyped...

The movies are fine standalone, they just move at too fast of a pace like mentioned and skip over some stuff (the CG gets better with each movie, the 1st movie has some scenes that are damn near unwatchable). If you watched the anime then there is no real reason to watch the movies aside from a few Skull Knight scenes.

The manga is the "definitive" version of Berserk though, without question.

I also didn't think the movies improved significantly over their span, and there's no indication that they'll ever make more. It's probably for the best that they don't.
They should make as much Berserk media as they can. I can never have enough of Berserk. I would love for them to animate the Blackswordsman and Retribution arcs in movie format provided they don't skip over as much stuff and the CG is more controlled.

And the movies did get better. 3rd was better than the 2nd which was better than the 1st.

I haven't seen the movies, but if there's anything that I'm certain the anime does better it's the music. Susumu Hirasawa is brilliant. Apparently Miura is a big fan of Hirasawa, and specifically requested him to do the score for the anime.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Man, the movies are so disappointing if you read the manga, so much shit gets skipped over, it doesnt help that the first movie actually is of lower quality because they skip so much, for instance pretty much every comedic scene in the manga is removed in the movie.

LaneDS

Man, the movies are so disappointing if you read the manga, so much shit gets skipped over, it doesnt help that the first movie actually is of lower quality because they skip so much, for instance pretty much every comedic scene in the manga is removed in the movie.

I felt otherwise. Having read the manga and seen the anime (multiple times for both) I was able to enjoy the movies even if it speeds through the content. Felt like they handled some of the big moments really well and enjoyed seeing it animated again. Definitely prefer the anime and would never ever suggest someone watches the movies without already knowing the series (which on their own makes them kind of terrible I think).

Great thread !

But there wasn't much character build up for the Band of the Hawk outside of Griffith and Guts in the manga either....

WTF ????

Most of the Band of Falcon don't even exist in the movies. They don't have lines. They cut characters.Guts childhood. Night Raid. Queen. Foss. Assassinations of the court of Midland , Bonfire of Dreams. Wyald. Guts existence when he leaves the Band. All gone.They cut and change so much stuff , many for no reason whatsoever. Watching the movies , it becomes impossible to even understand character's motivations . A 4 year war campaign looks like 4 months. Even in the Eclipse they make shit up.

The films are a barrage of events , all wrapped under montages and scenes without any sense of direction nor pace. At least the anime has a great music and tries to build the character's relationships. It's not even comparable how much more faithful it is than the movies.

Zodd has 3 minutes before the entire Eclipse !

Quick rant:

I just HATE it when the primary lure of a story is completely ignored. Gatsu wants to fight the five finger gods and after all these years of the manga and anime he fights absolutely NO ONE. And he wanted to kill Griffith, yet I see the psycho just chilling in a garden the last few chapters. Why doesn't Gatsu just dash straight for him the second he see's him? He's done that for lesser foes.

And having one or two 18-page issues a year doesn't help. I just ignore the thing till it 'suddenly' pops up somewhere (like it did here) to read something new.

*sings Let It Go in head*

He has decided that protecting Casca is more important than his revenge. That's like half the story.

I want to get around to reading the manga but it seems like most people are just angry with it for some reason lol.

You'll grow old waiting. The "angriness" comes for the huge gap between releases in the last few years. This started in 1989 , and until a few years ago the releases were slow but steady. Not now.He got involved with other projects (fucking Idolmaster !!!!) , maybe felt tired writing the same thing (me speculating) and every episode released is fantastically drawn , which takes a lot of time.

Frog-fu

Banned

Looks like I made the right decision to read the manga first. I'm sure I'll be able to fill in the gaps and enjoy the movies once I get around to watching them.

Great thread !

WTF ????

Most of the Band of Falcon don't even exist in the movies. They don't have lines. They cut characters.Guts childhood. Night Raid. Queen. Foss. Assassinations of the court of Midland , Bonfire of Dreams. Wyald. Guts existence when he leaves the Band. All gone.They cut and change so much stuff , many for no reason whatsoever. Watching the movies , it becomes impossible to even understand character's motivations . A 4 year war campaign looks like 4 months. Even in the Eclipse they make shit up.

The films are a barrage of events , all wrapped under montages and scenes without any sense of direction nor pace. At least the anime has a great music and tries to build the character's relationships. It's not even comparable how much more faithful it is than the movies.
Wow

I'm afraid to even watch them now. The CG killed any interest, but now I'm starting to wonder what substance the first two movies even have. I fear for the Retribution and Hawk of the Millennium arcs.

Fjordson

Volume 5 down. The manga is good brehs.

of course I'll be done soon and complaining about the slow progress like everyone else, but whatever.

Wow

I'm afraid to even watch them now. The CG killed any interest, but now I'm starting to wonder what substance the first two movies even have. I fear for the Retribution and Hawk of the Millennium arcs.

Do not watch the movies, not only they skipped mind boggling important stuff but most of the stuff shown didn't even happened like that,

EX:

Gut's face when not kneeling to the King the movie got it totally wrong, they made him be like he was defiant when in reality he just didn't give a fuck about the King nor protocols.

Griffith sex scene with Charlot was cringe-worthy the movie made it look like a consensual love scene, pathetic.

these and many more subtleties are totally lost in the movies.
I am actually happy the guys who made this movie didn't get to continue to animate Berserk, I shiver thinking about all the bastardizing they would have done to the other arcs.

pje122

I'm "angry" with it because it never ends. I stopped reading in 2007 because I eventually hit a wall and the new issues came out so slowly and sporadically.

Mumei

Loved the anime though.

Edit
Also, the movies look absolutely dreadful(the art is yuck imo)

I think the wait is fine if it's not the only thing you read.

Top Bottom