• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Kinyou

It's the inconsistency between the releases that's mostly annoying right now. I just hope he eventually manages to get back on a regular schedule.

In 2007 Miura explained the break was due to him drawing soldiers (all of them) , without computer aids.

Maybe he's just drawing more soldiers.

Frog-fu

Banned
I love how many people are getting into Berserk currently. I guess it's because of the anime villains thread?

I've had it on my radar for years and read bits here and there without context. I got into it now cause I was banned for a week and figured I might as well. Moving on to D.Gray-Man next, or maybe Area D.

I've still got 13 volumes or Berserk to catch up on though.

FootballFan

Stick to the manga brethen.

The anime is good though, but the cliffhanger will kill you at the end.

Anime spoilers

when i finished the last episode, I went back to the first episode, which is set after the last episode. My issue with this, is that I continue to watch from that point. I finish it all the way through to the end again, and then repeat. It's a never ending cycle.

I need to get my hands on the manga hahah

Nibel

Anime spoilers

when i finished the last episode, I went back to the first episode, which is set after the last episode. My issue with this, is that I continue to watch from that point. I finish it all the way through to the end again, and then repeat. It's a never ending cycle.

I need to get my hands on the manga hahah

Holy moly, lol

Dude, go read the manga asap - it will connect those two arcs and goes muuuuuuuuuuuuch further than the anime.

Probably the best manga of all time, at least to me.

Fjordson

I'm not even sure what exactly caused me to pick up the manga. I've been wanting to get into manga more for a while (haven't really read much) but straight up availability limits what you can read sometimes in English. Was nice to see Dark Horse had every Berserk volume readily available at places like Amazon or InStockTrades, and I've heard a lot about it, so yeah.

FootballFan

Holy moly, lol

Dude, go read the manga asap - it will connect those two arcs and goes muuuuuuuuuuuuch further than the anime.

Probably the best manga of all time, at least to me.

Hahaha I know right.

I will do it one day! But each volume is around $24 here lol. So it will be some time until I'm caught up with everyone and get on this boat you all seem to be on haha.

I love how many people are getting into Berserk currently. I guess it's because of the anime villains thread?
It helped. It's been on my mind for a while, and I bought the first two anime DVDs a few years ago. I'm just watching them now, and I'm really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I have yet to get the remaining DVDs, so I've got two episodes left for now. I hate that my local FYE closed. I could probably find the rest there, easily.

I plan on reading it too, but I want to finish the anime first.

Jarnet87

The anime ends and then the epic manga continues from there.

though, honestly you might as well just start with the manga from the start.

I like the anime and think its a great introduction to Berserk. It takes you through The Golden Age and yes it leaves you saying wtf is this ending! But if it hooks you its an easy transition to start reading the manga from that point in the story or go back and reread a couple volumes.

Moaradin

I'd only recommend starting from the beginning of the manga. Trying to start off from where the anime ends seems like it would be confusing.

Considering the hardest part of Berserk to read is the opening volumes, starting with the anime is not a bad plan at all.

I know I almost quit Berserk when I was reading the first arc with the girl and the old man. It seemed like some drek 90s shit. I came back years later and kicked myself for not pushing forward. The art and storytelling got ridiculously better and I appreciated the initial arc more with the golden age context.

Fjordson

I enjoyed the first handful of Berserk volumes. They just throw you right in and the world is so bleak, it's crazy. The arc with The Count ends a little suddenly, but it was still alright.

Golden Age arc is pretty damn cool so far, though.

How long has the current hiatus gone on for now? I'm on volume 30 and getting anxious.

We are currently on the second longest hiatus ever, last chapter was published on 09/26/14 longest hiatus was 67 weeks from 12/28/12 to 04/11/14

But I am confident that he's working hard on Berserk right now so whenever this hiatus ends we'll be hopefully be getting a few consecutive chapters.

We are currently on the second longest hiatus ever, last chapter was published on 09/26/14 longest hiatus was 67 weeks from 12/28/12 to 04/11/14

But I am confident that he's working hard on Berserk right now so whenever this hiatus ends we'll be hopefully be getting a few consecutive chapters.

This right here folks is when true denial sets in

Frog-fu

Banned
Right, I just finished reading volume 34.

If I wasn't sure before, I am now, Miura is hands down the greatest artists amongst all manga-ka.

I just can't fucking TAKE how detailed his art is. It's simply not reasonable. No wonder it takes him forever to put out new chapters. EVERY page and every panel is just so damn detailed. How many assistants must this guy have? It's simply ridiculous.

UrbanRats

If I wasn't sure before, I am now, Miura is hands down the greatest artists amongst all manga-ka.

I just can't fucking TAKE how detailed his art is. It's simply not reasonable. No wonder it takes him forever to put out new chapters. EVERY page and every panel is just so damn detailed. How many assistants must this guy have? It's simply ridiculous.

Having many assistants i'm sure helps, but yeah, it's pretty crazy.

hehe 34 is sublime it just makes you realize how these foes are out of Gut's league, Guts need another upgrade pronto
also
Skull Knight screwing up was priceless

Having many assistants i'm sure helps, but yeah, it's pretty crazy.

He only has 4 or 6 assistants as far as I know that he changes regularly, all the intrincated work and attention to detail is all his, a fine craft he has mastered throughout all these years.

Dahbomb

There is hardly any volume of Berserk that doesn't feature amazing art. Maybe some of the earlier volumes but even then it was really good stuff.

I missed a complete Berserk dvd set on eBay by just a few dollars. Then I discovered a Remastered version was released a few years ago, and now I can't find it for less than $100. How I hate secondhand anime prices these days.

Dennis

Banned
The difference in the quality of the artwork between the early chapters and the later is staggering.

Also, this has to be the most glacial manga ever. So much filler all through the series interrupted by staggeringly good parts like The Eclipse.

I missed a complete Berserk dvd set on eBay by just a few dollars. Then I discovered a Remastered version was released a few years ago, and now I can't find it for less than $100. How I hate secondhand anime prices these days.

I swear I got my DVD set for like £20? though I wouldnt be surprised if its just a really decent bootleg. Saying that this must have been 5 years ago so errr

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I remember the first time I noticed the quality of the art jump, I believe it was a timeskip within the goldenage arc, showing guts on a horse with his helmet on, I think it was the first time we saw him at a full adult age since the beginning of the manga, and then he was drawn doing a action for his sword and I remember just looking at the art quality for it and how defined gut's muscles were.

Nakho

The difference in the quality of the artwork between the early chapters and the later is staggering.

Also, this has to be the most glacial manga ever. So much filler all through the series interrupted by staggeringly good parts like The Eclipse.

Huh? I don't remember much filler... IMO everything in the manga is relevant, even if only for world-building.

Filler content is the stuff put into adaptations to "fill in" time. I think that's obvious and everyone knows that. Being in the original source material kind of excludes something from being filler status..

To be fair there are plenty of manga that stretch things out so it lasts longer, Attack on Titan is the modern prime example of that. But that is different from filler.

Guys I just wanted to point out that the manga continues in August 2014.

:(

we-have-to-go-back.gif

Top Bottom