• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

I'm so glad I stumbled across the 'Best Anime Villian' thread the other week.

Thanks to all of the Griffith replies I've finally checked out everything Berserk and I'm now obsessed! I've always known about Berserk but I've always kind of just looked the other way for some reason.....not anymore! I've plowed through the anime in a few days, looked up and read every NeoGAF thread regarding Berserk, looked up figures on eBay, watched and read tons of reviews for the manga, anime and movies, watched the first movie (say what you want about the 3D and cut content - I really liked the movie and plan on watching the next two) and ordered the first manga from eBay. I can't get enough of it! O_O

I'm so glad I stumbled across the 'Best Anime Villian' thread the other week.

Thanks to all of the Griffith replies I've finally checked out everything Berserk and I'm now obsessed! I've always known about Berserk but I've always kind of just looked the other way for some reason.....not anymore! I've plowed through the anime in a few days, looked up and read every NeoGAF thread regarding Berserk, looked up figures on eBay, watched and read tons of reviews for the manga, anime and movies, watched the first movie (say what you want about the 3D and cut content - I really liked the movie and plan on watching the next two) and ordered the first manga from eBay. I can't get enough of it! O_O

Welcome, shoot me a PM if you need advice about the figures since I collect them myself specially the Figma ones.

Also the movies are trash you don't see it now because you haven't read the manga, however after you read it it will be clear to you how bad the movies are.

Welcome, shoot me a PM if you need advice about the figures since I collect them myself specially the Figma ones.

Also the movies are trash you don't see it now because you haven't read the manga, however after you read it it will be clear to you how bad the movies are.

The prices for decent ones are pretty insane. I was really close to buying one, but I think I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the offer though.

And I'll probably agree with you when it comes to the movies if/when I catch up on the manga, and that's coming from someone who always watches anime and never bothers with manga. This will be the first time I've attempted to get into manga. I can see why people who've read the manga aren't happy with the movies. They gloss over so much and don't give you much room for any character development, but I kinda like the fast pace of it since I thought the anime at times was pretty slow with not much happening quite often.

The visual upgrade is fairly nice too (even though the art-style looks off). Most times the 3D doesn't bother me, but at times it can definetely look awful. And I'm currently halfway through movie 2 - what's up with the choppy framerate/animation for the battle of Doldrey? I find that more distracting than the 3D! But yeah, I certainly wouldn't reccomend watching these movies as an introduction. They work best as bonus little extras.

EDIT: So, I just finished watching movie 2 - I'm pretty dissappinted that
Griffith and Minister Foss' plan to murder the queen
was cut out.

Aaaaaaand I've finished watching all of the movies - just have the manga to go. I thought the whole
rape
scene at the end was a bit too much in the movie. Did they have to show
Griffith actually moving up and down humping her?
I thought it kind of crossed the line from shocking to somewhat tacky.....I liked how it was handled in the anime with the music playing over it. Shocking yet still watchable without feeling overly uncomfortable. But yeah, overall I enjoyed the movies for what they were.

TopDreg

Aaaaaaand I've finished watching all of the movies - just have the manga to go. I thought the whole
rape
I thought it kind of crossed the line from shocking to somewhat tacky.....I liked how it was handled in the anime with the music playing over it. Shocking yet still watchable without feeling overly uncomfortable. But yeah, overall I enjoyed the movies for what they were.

The movie was much more faithful to the manga regarding the rape scene. It's supposed to be REALLY uncomfortable.
I did enjoy the anime more as well. Maybe it was the superior music. Movies also made some changes that I disliked greatly.

The bump of this thread made me think that a new chapter may have been announced/released. SIGH.

Dahbomb

rape
If that made you uncomfortable then you need to prepare yourself for the manga...

Helmholtz

Do we know if they plan on making more movies to adapt the rest of the manga?
I've read all the manga chapters, but I've always been more of a fan of watching anime. For instance I preferred the anime golden age stuff better than reading it in manga form.
I've stayed away from the movies so far based on all the negative impressions I've read, but if they actually adapt post-golden age stuff I think I might have to start watching.

Do we know if they plan on making more movies to adapt the rest of the manga?
I've read all the manga chapters, but I've always been more of a fan of watching anime. For instance I preferred the anime golden age stuff better than reading it in manga form.
I've stayed away from the movies so far based on all the negative impressions I've read, but if they actually adapt post-golden age stuff I think I might have to start watching.

just a few cameos at the end. berserk and hunter x hunter man. wtf my two favorite mangas are so damn slow :(

Dahbomb

Last I heard they were still planning to make more although the next arc would've been the Lost Children arc.

There were hints of continuation in the movies all over. Farnesse, Serpico, Puck were all shown plus the Blackswordsman teaser.

There were already images floating around of post Eclipse scenes:

131451-berserk01_super-450x298.jpg

131453-berserk03_super-450x298.jpg

Siegcram

We will never get any more anime/movies if Miura doesn't pick up the pace. Which means we will never get any more anime or movies.

The fact that we will all die without seeing the end of this incredible manga makes me even more depressed. I would trade some of the detailed art for better pacing anyday.

Nibel

There is tons of Berserk material; they have enough stuff to fill several anime seasons with it.

In my opinion, the issue seems to be that it is a Seinen manga that is a) very long and b) difficult to put out there since it would have to be shown in the evening or midnight and afaik viewer numbers for most of these animes aren't too hot. Also, most people who purchase anime DVDs and Blu-rays would have to be on board as well, but if you look at what sells the most there.. well let's say Berserk doesn't quite fit the bill.

I'd be happy enough if Miura would just finish the manga, heck I'd be happy with a regular book with no drawings at this point. A perfect Berserk anime that captures the feeling of the manga and had good production values will forever be a pipedream.

dan2026

I hated how the movies were the Golden Age arc again. We've already seen that! Animate some other arcs for fuck sake!

That and they cut out Wyald (again)

Siegcram

The issue isn't the absence of potential material, but that further adaptation wouldn't go anywhere. It would be a waste of money for whoever tried.

The Golden Age arc works because it's a) a fairly self-contained story and b) is easily the most known and recognizable portion of Berserk. Same as with JoJo and Stardust Crusaders.

Everything from there on out is Miura essentially treading water and moving the main storyline at a glacial pace. As long as there isn't any major plot advancement ( I've given up hope for an actual ending) and a somewhat regular release schedule, Berserk will remain dead. Nobody's gonna do a Lost Children or Inquisition adaptation for the lulz.

The issue isn't the absence of potential material, but that further adaptation wouldn't go anywhere. It would be a waste of money for whoever tried.

That didn't stop Madhouse with HxH 11.
I think a full Berserk TV adaptation is possible. You see a lot of old manga series getting adaptations recently like Parasyte and JoJo. There's another one announced recently I forgot. Oh, it was Ushio and Tora.
Unfortunately they will probably continue with the movies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Everything from there on out is Miura essentially treading water and moving the main storyline at a glacial pace. As long as there isn't any major plot advancement ( I've given up hope for an actual ending) and a somewhat regular release schedule, Berserk will remain dead. Nobody's gonna do a Lost Children or Inquisition adaptation for the lulz.
The funny thing is that I think if an anime adaptation does one of the later arcs well, it could drum up enough interest in the series to push the author to actually continue things.

What the hell is he even doing?

The funny thing is that I think if an anime adaptation does one of the later arcs well, it could drum up enough interest in the series to push the author to actually continue things.

Miura is of course busy drawing beautiful art for his acclaimed dark fantasy series Gigantomahkia

Eeehh, HxH actually had a good ending point. It built towards a goal and it reached that goal, everything after that (the current manga arc) is a new, different goal.

Berserk has nothing like that.

You're right on that front.

Siegcram

That didn't stop Madhouse with HxH 11.
I think a full Berserk TV adaptation is possible. You see a lot of old manga series getting adaptations recently like Parasyte and JoJo. There's another one announced recently I forgot. Oh, it was Ushio and Tora.
Unfortunately they will probably continue with the movies.
Again, those a self-contained stories/arcs (admittedly I'm not familiar with your last example) people can follow and care about.

HxH arguably had an ending. Berserk does as well. Unfortunately it's the eclipse.

The rest of the stories just don't work if you don't have a big picture. And even if you tried you couldn't show half of the stuff anyways because of censoring.

Speaking of, has anybody here played the PS2 Berserk game? I've heard it's actually pretty good. Didn't Miura write the story for it and everything?

It was legit awesome. The gameplay was very solid and satisfying. It also had voiced scenes from stuff beyond the anime that was absolutely awesome (I remember following along with printed translations from GameFAQs... ahh good times).

And the intro was out of this world, I still regularly listen to the intro song "Signs". I can't believe how long it's been. I'd love to see a PS4 remaster (a new game would be nice too), but yeah I'm not expecting much.

RangerBAD

<Insert Idolm@ster joke here.>

He probably either doesn't have any more ideas or he's a huge perfectionist. Actually, maybe it's both.

It was legit awesome. The gameplay was very solid and satisfying. It also had voiced scenes from stuff beyond the anime that was absolutely awesome (I remember following along with printed translations from GameFAQs... ahh good times).

And the intro was out of this world, I still regularly listen to the intro song "Signs". I can't believe how long it's been. I'd love to see a PS4 remaster (a new game would be nice too), but yeah I'm not expecting much.

The cut scenes of the game were great. The gameplay itself sometimes was a little boring. Slashing trolls endlessly after a while gets somewhat boring.

I actually preferred the Dreamcast version.

Never read berserk or watched the anime, but I am considering jumping in. How is the Dark Horse Comics localization? Is it unedited/uncensored? I don't really mind some censorship, as long as it is properly done. What I despise is poorly edited panels that disturbs the storytelling. I might order the 10 first volumes based on the feedback here.

Also, does anyone know if Dark Horse has released or plan to release a box set?

Siegcram

Never read berserk or watched the anime, but I am considering jumping in. How is the Dark Horse Comics localization? Is it unedited/uncensored? I don't really mind some censorship, as long as it is properly done. What I despise is poorly edited panels that disturbs the storytelling. I might order the 10 first volumes based on the feedback here.

Dark Horse localization is excellent. Check Instocktrades for deals.

Given we're at 37 volumes and counting (albeit veeeeerry slowly) a box set hasn't been released (that I'm aware of).

Prototype

They are amazing. I have almost all of them.

Fjordson

I'm just now going through the series with them and they're fantastic.

They're still presented in right to left format so I'm assuming they stray true to the original in that regard and the localization is really well-written.

Fjordson

Sounds great! I will pick up a couple of volumes off amazon the next time I order something.
You won't regret it.

I think that goes for any western manga release handled by Dark Horse actually. They do a really nice job based on all the series I've read through them.

dani_dc

I hated how the movies were the Golden Age arc again. We've already seen that! Animate some other arcs for fuck sake!

That and they cut out Wyald (again)

And yet I'm still waiting for an actually good adaptation of the Golden ag arc.

No point doing the rest until you get a team capable of doing a good work with the start.
Again, those a self-contained stories/arcs (admittedly I'm not familiar with your last example) people can follow and care about.

HxH arguably had an ending. Berserk does as well. Unfortunately it's the eclipse.

The rest of the stories just don't work if you don't have a big picture. And even if you tried you couldn't show half of the stuff anyways because of censoring.

The inquisition arc ending is as much of an ending as the eclipse, not much of an ending at all but it concludes the current story arc. From there on it's admittedly harder to find a place to stop.

Top Bottom