• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

#38 Western realise when
Depends on Japanese release date. If they try to tie it in with the new anime in July, we'd likely get it late 2016/early 2017.

Like Moonkid just said, yes, there is more Falconia stuff in volume 38. In fact, almost all of volume 38 is focused on it. The introduction to Falconia is one of the highlights of the whole story so far for me. The art is just stunning. Seeing how amazing it looks was definitely worth the wait. You've got some really good stuff coming up!
I'm waiting for the book, but after that I'll have to catch up when available. We may not get volume 39 until 2022.

Got this from redbubble.com today:

s61z6Oa.jpg

frontovik

Banned
I should rewatch it actually, it's certainly a classic..

Does anyone know the title of the music track that plays during the Siege of Doldrey?
Specifically when Guts and the Band of the Hawk were waiting for the charge of the Purple Rhino Knights, and Guts was grinning at the thought of the perfect execution of Griffith's plan.

One day, someone will do a Berserk anime justice and focus on the Tower of Conviction and Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc.

Does anyone know the title of the music track that plays during the Siege of Doldrey?
Specifically when Guts and the Band of the Hawk were waiting for the charge of the Purple Rhino Knights, and Guts was grinning at the thought of the perfection execution of Griffith's plan.

Murder?

The soundtrack is short enough that you should find what you're looking for in no time.

Well, I'm done with 37. Finally the Sea God chapter ends, and we got an unexpected, but delightful Guts' past chapter. Seriously, it's probably one of the best parts of the manga in a while. I miss the focus on characters lately; not that the action is bad, but it gets dull. Then it concludes with a Falconia tease, and now I'm done until volume 38 gets localized.

I really hope it releases this year. I'm in the mood for an anime rewatch, so I may do that next.

Well, I'm done with 37. Finally the Sea God chapter ends, and we got an unexpected, but delightful Guts' past chapter. Seriously, it's probably one of the best parts of the manga in a while. I miss the focus on characters lately; not that the action is bad, but it gets dull. Then it concludes with a Falconia tease, and now I'm done until volume 38 gets localized.

I really hope it releases this year. I'm in the mood for an anime rewatch, so I may do that next.

I can't believe you're going to wait for the official Dark Horse release of volume 38 instead of just reading the chapters now. After that last chapter from volume 37 I thought for sure you'd continue reading. I tried so hard to stop after volume 37 and wait for the next volume from Dark Horse, but I just couldn't do it. I caved in. I needed more Falconia goodness!

I can't believe you're going to wait for the official Dark Horse release of volume 38 instead of just reading the chapters now. After that last chapter from volume 37 I thought for sure you'd continue reading. I tried so hard to stop after volume 37 and wait for the next volume from Dark Horse, but I just couldn't do it. I caved in. I needed more Falconia goodness!

Meh, I have still not read even 37. :V No rush.

Dark Horse translation is excellent, and I'd rather experience all manga physically, so I'll wait. I will not be waiting for 39, though.

Guy at reddit made a nice summary
Okay, so this is a really fucking weird staff.

Director: Shin Itagaki (The only thing he's been doing recently is 7 seasons of Teekyu. Did Ben-to a few years back too)

Series Compostion: Makoto Fukami (Co-wrote Psycho Pass scripts with Gen Urobuchi. Wrote 6 episodes of Yuri Yuri S3. Not much else)

Series Composition Co-operation: Takashi Yamashita (Almost zero professional experience writing anything)

Character Designer: Hisashi Abe (Chobits, Devil May Cry, Wolverine. Not much recent work)

Music: Shiro Sagisu (Did the music for the Berserk movies)

Animation Production: GEMBA (CG Studio. Did a few mechs for a Macross movie once. Not good. Not even close to good.)

Animation Production: millepensee (Literally has only ever made Teekyu)

Production: LIDEN Films (Shouldn't matter to us at all. They're not animation production, they're just there to make sure production doesn't absolutely collapse and make sure they're not spending all of their money.)

Short form, this isn't a good staff listing and from the looks of it, it will be entirely CGI.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4bgfbj/berserk_2016_anime_staff_and_cast_announced/#imdone

39rQHWW.jpg

The cover for volume 38 has finally been revealed! It's what I thought it was going to be (see post number 2,823), but the bigger news is that it's coming out in Japan on June 24th! Guts being on the cover is pretty cool I guess, but I would have preferred Rickert or Griffith on the cover considering what happens in this volume - if you've read the chapters already you know exactly what I'm talking about! Anyway, I can't wait to pick it up. It's a fantastic volume!

As for the anime, the cast/staff list doesn't mean much to me since I don't recognise most of the names and what they've previously worked on. From what I've heard from other people it's not looking very promising. Though it's great to see that the original narrator is back. That's a plus. Also, here's a new pic of Guts from the anime. He looks good. And lastly, it looks like a box-set of the movie trilogy will be out in Japan on June 22nd.

39rQHWW.jpg

The cover for volume 38 has finally been revealed! It's what I thought it was going to be (see post number 2,823), but the bigger news is that it's coming out in Japan on June 24th! Guts being on the cover is pretty cool I guess, but I would have preferred Rickert or Griffith on the cover considering what happens in this volume - if you've read the chapters already you know exactly what I'm talking about! Anyway, I can't wait to pick it up. It's a fantastic volume!

As for the anime, the cast/staff list doesn't mean much to me since I don't recognise most of the names and what they've previously worked on. From what I've heard from other people it's not looking very promising. Though it's great to see that the original narrator is back. That's a plus. Also, here's a new pic of Guts from the anime. He looks good. And lastly, it looks like a box-set of the movie trilogy will be out in Japan on June 22nd.
Cool there's also Puck in that picture. I hope they do a good job on Serpico and the other Holy Chain Knights.

Veelk

Banned
How exactly old is Guts? He didn't start visibly aging I think till the Berserker armor started exhausting the shit out of his body. He should still look sort of youthful during the black swordsman arc.

Hard to say. I think he joined the Hawks at 15. He stayed with them for a year to 3 years, then left for 2 years, then the eclipse happened and he was off on his own for 2 more years, then he started his JRPG team, and I'm not sure how long he's been going on like that.

That said, regardless of his age, it's hardly a surprise being hunted by demons day and night would stress a guy out.

Hard to say. I think he joined the Hawks at 15. He stayed with them for a year to 3 years, then left for 2 years, then the eclipse happened and he was off on his own for 2 more years, then he started his JRPG team, and I'm not sure how long he's been going on like that.

That said, regardless of his age, it's hardly a surprise being hunted by demons day and night would stress a guy out.
He must drink a fuck ton of coffee. "I haven't slept for weeks, but once again I have to swing this massive fucking sword that weighs more than 3 people with one arm." "Look at this fucking huge gaping monstrosity with a phallus just about everywhere! I have to don my mystical armor that sucks the life out of me and brings my murderous urges to the surface. Quick Schierke be my mobile psychologist so I don't fucking massacre everybody with my latent sexual rage cause I can't have sex with Casca anymore."

frontovik

Banned
That sure is one ugly Guts. I have no enthusiasm for this anime, even though it will finally cover an arc that is not Golden Age :<

You would look 40 too if you were set for sacrifice, haunted by ghosts, fought demonic hordes, and wore a suit of armor that ate you.

poor guy lol
Not to mention having a Tsundere ex best friend that got pissed off at you because you didn't want to be his property anymore.

Exactly as I thought. Volume 38 not too far now.

Kind of disappointed in that cover art.

Isn't Guts 20? How much time has passed since the eclipse? Because I think he was 18 when that happened, then went apostle hunting for two years.

You would look 40 too if you were set for sacrifice, haunted by ghosts, fought demonic hordes, and wore a suit of armor that ate you.

poor guy lol

Miura conveys really well how worn off he is. In that image, he just looks like he smoked 3 packs per day during 10 years.

At least it seems he is using the right armor.

Ace just lost a while to that website, hadn't seen it before cheers!

No worries. It's a pretty good website. It took me ages to pick just one t-shirt, but I'm really happy with the one I got.

So are those scarecrows in 38? Is that volume mostly Falconia?

Yeah, they will be. Even if they continue to go with only 9 chapters per volume they'll still be in the very last chapter.

And yes, volume 38 is mostly all Falconia. It'll be focused on Falconia for every chapter except for 1 or 2 at the end.

It could be worse...(even more considering its a tv show). The shading is still ugly as fuck.

As long as its respectfully adapted, without cutting stuff and with a normal pace, its always going to have its virtues. Shame about the dogshit style of animation.

Top Bottom