• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Moaradin

I can't help but be a little excited to see new Berserk animated, regardless of the CGI. And hey the shading going on is doing wonders. The character models actually look decent. A lot better than the movie CGI to be honest.

If everything looked like this

vvqXGOM.png

I could die a happy man.

Helmholtz

That trailer didn't look as bad as I thought it would. Maybe this won't be terrible.
I guess I might be able to get used to the CGI shit...
I just hope they stay faithful to the source material.

If everything looked like this

I could die a happy man.

Puck is tied - that means it's the Count/Black swordsman arc.
It follows into the Lost Children - and right after them we see
the Knights of Holy Iron Chains for the first time.
Also having Isidro means Tower of Conviction arc.

Damn it, don't play with my feelings! I'm thingking some of it will be cut into 1 minute montage or they will cut corners in some other ways.

I just wish we will get Chapter of The Holy Demon War some day. Damn it I wanna see Berserker armour in action against Grunbeld... brb, gonna rewatch 2004's game intro

Puck is tied - that means it's the Count/Black swordsman arc.
It follows into the Lost Children - and right after them we see
the Knights of Holy Iron Chains for the first time.
Also having Isidro means Tower of Conviction arc.

Damn it, don't play with my feelings! I'm thingking some of it will be cut into 1 minute montage or they will cut corners in some other ways.

I just wish we will get Chapter of The Holy Demon War some day. Damn it I wanna see Berserker armour in action against Grunbeld... brb, gonna rewatch 2004's game intro

I'm still not sold they are really going through all the black swordsman arc. Still no glimpse of the Count? Hmm...

Also the previous anime was 25 episodes, and they adapted more or less 9-10 volumes. 10-11 volumes include All Black swordsman and Conviction arc, which means almost surely a 2 cour show. If its 24 episodes, and the end is
Griffith rebirth
, i think they might want to trim something (perhaps the Count with some flashback). A 26-28 episodes would be a relief .

Are there any must-have Berserk art books? One with sketches, paintings and such is what I'm looking for, but I read something about one that had pics of old merch that would be cool to look at.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
We could theoretically see from the very first combined, maybe the slug count, up through lost children and conviction arcs. I think it could end in the Hill of Swords before Guts and crew start on the next big leg of the journey. Also gives a huge dramatic long in the making reunion and epic cathartic battle.

frontovik

Banned
Hmm, I'm not a fan of the colour scheme for Farnese's armour. I've always imagined it to be a darker colour like royal blue, but not violet.

Moonkid

Like I said in the other thread, it's better - which isn't saying much to be honest- than the first footage we got but I'm still annoyed that they're seemingly dropping the ball on the most fundamental aspect of the adaptation, the actual animation part. But, as True Saviour said despite all this I'll probably end up watching it because it will have its virtues, flawed from the offset or not. Although I wouldn't want more Berserk on the virtue of it simply being Berserk, especially if it's done poorly, at the end of the day it'll get more people on the manga and there's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXWDTb73AeE
Farnese is cute! CUTE!

edit: the only thing I don't like so far is that goddamn Dragonslayer bends in motion in these teasers. :p

Now that I'm back from my ban - I can finally comment on the new teaser for the anime! At first I'll be honest, I hated it. I didn't like the shading effect and some of the colours looked too vibrant and off, especially for Farnese. Luckily though the teaser has grown on me. The great music helps. The fact that Crunchyroll will be streaming it and the rumour of it being 24 episodes is positive news as well. I mean honestly, this is Berserk after all, I was going to check it out regardless of how bad it might've looked.

Now that I'm back from my ban - I can finally comment on the new teaser for the anime! At first I'll be honest, I hated it. I didn't like the shading effect and some of the colours looked too vibrant and off, especially for Farnese. Luckily though the teaser has grown on me. The great music helps. The fact that Crunchyroll will be streaming it and the rumour of it being 24 episodes is positive news as well. I mean honestly, this is Berserk after all, I was going to check it out regardless of how bad it might've looked.

It's ok to be skeptical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDYzMDXiWc&

(stolen from reddit)

Veelk

Banned
I feel like only Griffith, Slan and Void were given important and cool looking designs. Conrad and Ubik got the short stick.

Uthred

Dont know if I'd agree with his conclusion that it isnt a good staff listing, it could be better but Ben-to, while a bit low budget, had really great fight scenes (and an amusing premise). Co-writing Psycho Pass would count as pretty good in my book. I also liked the character designers other work. The real worry I suppose is the animation production. However they did do a bit more than "some mechs for a Macross movie", they did Resident Evil:Damnation and SRW:OG: Divine Wars. Its been a while but I recall RE:D looking decent (though the budgets likely wildly different).

Edit: Nevermind, watched the trailer, ugh

I feel like only Griffith, Slan and Void were given important and cool looking designs. Conrad and Ubik got the short stick.

Well, while I agree, keep in mind that these line is for articulated figures and there isn't much that they could have done in that department to Conrad and Ubik due to their sizes and designs, they could of course increase the detail and better paint to compensate for these 2 but that will be getting into statue territory.

Veelk

Banned
Well, while I agree, keep in mind that these line is for articulated figures and there isn't much that they could have done in that department to Conrad and Ubik due to their sizes and designs, they could of course increase the detail and better paint to compensate for these 2 but that will be getting into statue territory.
Oh, I just meant in terms of their creativity. Like, in the way that Miura designed them. They are both bald glob men, one in squid form and the other in... What the fuck even is Conrad? Whatever. And honestly, Slan could be better too. She's just a naked woman with bat wings and a corset. Miura is capable of better than that.

They all have detail in their rendering that Miura gives to everyone of course, so I'm not saying they look totally horrible, but I feel like Griffith and Void are the only ones who got that special care in design to make sure they look cool, and their mostly the ones who are given narrative importance.

Maybe it's just because he designed them when he was starting out. Comparatively, I think Griffiths neo Hawks all have much more interesting designs, especially in their apostle forms.

Conrad and Ubik are so bland looking that I can never remember their names. I can almost guarantee you I'll forget Conrad and Ubik's names tomorrow and I don't even know which is which. Though I will forever call Slan "Rated X Morrigan."

HStallion

The Godhand are based mostly on the cenobites from the Hellraiser movies which is super obvious with Voids design and Slan also looks familiar to the one female cenobite in the first couple of Hellraiser movies.

Conrad is so useless. Has he even done something of note besides hanging with rats?

Have any of them done anything besides Slan and Griffith? The rest have only appeared on a couple of occasions and mostly together. Slan has been by far the most active as we saw an outline of her at the cultists orgy and of course when she directly confronted Guts.

HStallion

Void seems to be to Skull Knight what Femto is to Guts. I'm not sure we'll see the backstory between those two at this point but one would hope so.

Yeah but he hasn't really "done" anything in the story by himself. He usually shows up with the other Godhand when a behelit summons them but we haven't seen any major interaction with other characters outside of that. Slann seem's the most direct when it comes to interacting with Guts and others, with Conrad loving to spit up rats but we haven't seen anything like that from Void.

Moonkid

Anyone playing Dark Souls 3 here? I wasn't really loving Undead Settlement but it was neat seeing our favorite crazy minister turn up.

HStallion

I know Miura almost never does interviews but I would love someone to ask him about the Dark Souls/Bloodborne games and see if he is aware of them. Would be cool to hear his take on them and how much of an influence his art and story has had on those games.

HStallion

Only in Japan, I think.

So we are supposed to be getting new chapters again starting in the Summer. I don't believe the next young animal has any mention of Berserk so that leaves maybe 1 to 2 possible chances for May. I don't expect we will see anything until June at earliest though I'm not sure if Summer starts later or earlier for Japan.

So we are supposed to be getting new chapters again starting in the Summer. I don't believe the next young animal has any mention of Berserk so that leaves maybe 1 to 2 possible chances for May. I don't expect we will see anything until June at earliest though I'm not sure if Summer starts later or earlier for Japan.
The only manga-related release date we have so far is volume 38. Hopefully, new chapters aren't far off either.

Josue

I gotta admit it's weird seeing Puck and the rest of the characters not in Golden Age in so much color.

You guys think the show will start from chapter 1, or just continue off from the ending of the Golden Age arc without using any flashback/timeskips?

I gotta admit it's weird seeing Puck and the rest of the characters not in Golden Age in so much color.

You guys think the show will start from chapter 1, or just continue off from the ending of the Golden Age arc without using any flashback/timeskips?

I'm still very hesitant that we will see the first volumes so perhaps some flashbacks to explain why Puck is with Guts.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
good thing I decided to read the last two chapters now, instead of back in december. Summer is around the corner.

New manga chapters AND an animated series

94f.png

we made it, fam. Berserk overload, my body is ready.

Top Bottom