• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

I sent an email of misdirection last night.

Hello,

I need to ask you about an order I placed online. The orders are for one Playstation 3 unit apiece. I noticed that it said one per order and asked my brother if he wished to purchase one for his son for Christmas. I was afraid the deal would expire within minutes, so I simply used my account twice.

I wanted to contact you to make sure this was OK. If it's against the rules, please cancel one; I'll simply let my brother purchase the one for his son. I'd rather have that happen than to get both orders cancelled because of an error on my part.

Thank you,

Brent

I think the real interesting thing to see will be if BestBuy cancels all these pre-orders and then turns around to push $1500 package deals next week. I wonder if that would get them sued.

RumFore

Banned
I just called and the lady was pretty clear they dont take online pre-orders and there "evaluating" this which makes you wonder how these links came about in the first place. I just hope the damn woman don't put it on herself to cancel my order for the good of Best Buy. She also said they will open at 12 midnight or 8AM on the 17 to take orders and tickets will be given out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WickedAngel said:
I sent an email of misdirection last night.

I think the real interesting thing to see will be if BestBuy cancels all these pre-orders and then turns around to push $1500 package deals next week. I wonder if that would get them sued.

Didn't Best Buy get some heat from bundling X360 stuff last year?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They did, and there was a decision that came down from corporate to stop that. But I think that was about the forced bundling that was going down at select b&m stores.

Wario64 said:
Didn't Best Buy get some heat from bundling X360 stuff last year?

I don't remember. I was fully expecting the website to put some ridiculous offer up though (Hi2U EBWorld and your Xbox 360 Omega Package...get the Xbox 360 you want, with thirty games you don't). Rules are different online.

JCBossman

Banned
Best Buy uses a Content management System(CMS) like alot of big websites, this CREATES automatically web pages "on the fly" from fields in a database. So for example if this was for say a DVD Movie coming out on the 17th(instead of a game console)., they would enter into various fields, Item Decricptiion, price, features, ect, all the OTHER "static" stuff like various links/banners is part of a templete that would automatically generate, along with the links/banners the system is ALSO aware of time/date, and since the system realized that it's NOT yet the 17th, it added the Pre-order button, as most items added to the system can be bought as a pre-order, except for rare exceptions like Video game consoles, but the system didn't know that.The ACTUAL order process is automated too, so these are REAL orders on a non-available video game console. Some Web Admin, was most likely getting a page ready for the 17th and went live for a test, Froggle, which searches "INSIDE" websites with Bots picked it up, and the rest is history.

Pimpwerx

JCBossman said:
Best Buy uses a Content management System(CMS) like alot of big websites, this CREATES automatically web pages "on the fly" from fields in a database. So for example if this was for say a DVD Movie coming out on the 17th(instead of a game console)., they would enter into various fields, Item Decricptiion, price, features, ect, all the OTHER "static" stuff like various links/banners is part of a templete that would automatically generate, along with the links/banners the system is ALSO aware of time/date, and since the system realized that it's NOT yet the 17th, it added the Pre-order button, as most items added to the system can be bought as a pre-order, except for rare exceptions like Video game consoles, but the system didn't know that.The ACTUAL order process is automated too, so these are REAL orders on a non-available video game console. Some Web Admin, was most likely getting a page ready for the 17th and went live for a test, Froggle, which searches "INSIDE" websites with Bots picked it up, and the rest is history.
Riiiiiight, and it took them this long to take it down, why? The amount of web traffic to that particular link would have been off the charts. If some web admin went live with the page for a test (on an item that's already causing online auction sites problems due to demand), then I don't see how it stayed up for hours like that. There are mistakes, and there are colossal errors. If this was a mistake, BB should already have cancelled all orders instead of this waiting game we have. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you've just been overly-pessimistic in spite of the actual facts of the situation. Sorry, but I'm not the only one who's seen FUD spread throughout deal threads, only to have the deals hold up. I'll wait and see, but the idea that this was all some mistake, and that BB is dragging it's feet on the Tickle Me Elmo of 2006 sound extremely unlikely. PEACE.

JCBossman said:
So...is it the disgruntled employees that enter in this information? :)

Tarazet

I just had a long conversation with a BB rep. I gave her my name, order number, and told her that I found it as a perfectly functioning link through Froogle. She told me they were investigating the matter, and would be forwarding the information I provided; she could not guarantee that I would get anything, as this was not supposed to be available until the day of launch.

Pimpwerx said:
Riiiiiight, and it took them this long to take it down, why? The amount of web traffic to that particular link would have been off the charts. If some web admin went live with the page for a test (on an item that's already causing online auction sites problems due to demand), then I don't see how it stayed up for hours like that. There are mistakes, and there are colossal errors. If this was a mistake, BB should already have cancelled all orders instead of this waiting game we have. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you've just been overly-pessimistic in spite of the actual facts of the situation. Sorry, but I'm not the only one who's seen FUD spread throughout deal threads, only to have the deals hold up. I'll wait and see, but the idea that this was all some mistake, and that BB is dragging it's feet on the Tickle Me Elmo of 2006 sound extremely unlikely. PEACE.

Yeah but wasn't it a Saturday night?

Pimpwerx

Littleberu said:
Yeah but wasn't it a Saturday night?
I thought the link went up last night as well, though. I thought stores updated on Sat night in advance of the Sunday papers and the new week's sales. PEACE.

Mine still says order in process. I can't wait to see the reaction from everyone if they cancel all the preorders. "THAT"S IT I"M CALLING MY LAWYER AND BEST BUY CORPORATE TOMORROW ARGFFFFSDKDFFFFFBAH!!11"

LJ11

JCBossman said:

You keep posting the same ****ing shit over and over again. We get the picture, you don't think this is going to go through.

Go solve another case Columbo.

If they were going to cancel all the orders, I'd think they would have done it by now. They're selectively cancelling them for some reason.

SterileZorro said:
Mine still says order in process. I can't wait to see the reaction from everyone if they cancel all the preorders. "THAT"S IT I"M CALLING MY LAWYER AND BEST BUY CORPORATE TOMORROW ARGFFFFSDKDFFFFFBAH!!11"

:lol :lol :lol

1st NeoGAF Class-Action lawsuit FTW!

WickedAngel said:
If they were going to cancel all the orders, I'd think they would have done it by now. They're selectively cancelling them for some reason.

I read on another site that they might be cancelling all the ones from people that maxed out their credit cards.

I unknowlingly went over the limit on my Discover card (my available credit is -$9 :lol), but I just made a quick payment, so hopefully I'll get through...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SterileZorro said:

Someone on Fatwallet is already planning to do a lawsuit because of fraud advertising on Froogle or some crap :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LJ11 said:

colombo.jpg

:lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wario64 said:
Someone on Fatwallet is already planning to do a lawsuit because of fraud advertising on Froogle or some crap :lol

That'll never fly.

Wario64 said:

Yeah, that guy is an idiot. He's been talking shit since last night about lawsuits and complaining to the media and crap. He keeps posting the same thing over and over and he bolds all his posts...annoying.

cvxfreak

LJ11 said:
You keep posting the same ****ing shit over and over again. We get the picture, you don't think this is going to go through.

This doesn't even prove his argument earlier about our information and Best Buy's security getting compromised.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
MaverickX9 said:
Yeah, that guy is an idiot. He's been talking shit since last night about lawsuits and complaining to the media and crap. He keeps posting the same thing over and over and he bolds all his posts...annoying.
Sounds like FatWallet. Everything about that message board is pretty much terrible. I used to browse for the deals but I couldn't handle it anymore. "I'MMA BUY ME 40 OF THESE HERE GAMES FOR $8 EACH TO SELL FOR $10 ON EBAY! AREN'T I A CLEVER BUSINESSMAN?"

Anyway, I hope y'all (who aren't buying it to hawk on eBay) have your orders go through.

JCBossman

Banned
LJ11 said:

I HOPE EVERYONE get's their system!....EXCEPT LJ11:)

LJ11

Wario64 said:
I dont see what makes this article more significant than any other people reporting their CSR calls.

Exactly. Everything is still up in the air depending on who you speak to.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
edit- oops :lol

Az987

all good things
Hrm... I preordered uhm... a few...

I hope they go through but its weird how they charge your CC the full amount for a preorder.

Tarazet

Incidentally, is anyone else's order highlighted in red? Mine has been since I placed it, and so is the preorder for RR7, Genji and Untold Legends.

sangreal

sonarrat said:
Incidentally, is anyone else's order highlighted in red? Mine has been since I placed it, and so is the preorder for RR7, Genji and Untold Legends.

That is just the 'visited link' color

Top Bottom