• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piichan

Banned
When I saw PantherLotus' pic I was all like, yeah yeah I know, it's the same hot dog place from Breaking Bad. Then I clicked the spoiler box.

:O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ro4bzr3.jpg

Hahaha nice.

VAD

I wonder how they do it, Kim becomes more and more alive the more we see her story unfold. Major kudos to Rhea Seehorn for bringing this character to life. That scene when she cries of happiness for snatching Mesa Verde was so beautiful and makes Chuck more of an asshole when he ultimately trashes her effort. I love how she fluctuates between being a straight arrow and being more like Jimmy.
Another thought, this series is a great tale of entrepreneurship, it encapsulates the struggle of taking risks, leaving your job, finding prospects, losing them, pivoting and balancing all of this with you personal life. It's really brilliant. This and Silicon Valley should be required viewing to every aspiring entrepreneur.

Alpende

I loved the opening scene, that long shot was amazing.

I wonder what Mike's plans are and what the consequences are gonna be from Jimmy's document forging. It'll probably backfire on Kim in some way :(

Staab

Ro4bzr3.jpg

OH man... That's crafty !

See now, what I don't really get is that those are all official documents FROM Mesa Verde (or sent to Mesa Verde) - and not by HHM- meaning that those being tampered with will be easily provable by HHM.
They were given to them by Mesa Verde after all.
So if HHM drafts up documents for Mesa Verde using the false expansion address and it lands them in some trouble (which it obviously will, since that's Jimmy's plan), I don't see how it will reflect badly on them at all...
Won't they just be able to say: "Well, look, these are the paper you gave us for reference on the expansion" and be done with it ?
I'm sure Mesa Verde will be in trouble for it but that's about it... I don't see how it impacts their relation with HHM.

Grinchy

Banned
^I'm no lawyer and I don't fully understand it, but they did spell it out for us. Chuck says something like, "Even the smallest infraction can have large consequences in this sector." I'm paraphrasing, but Chuck's own argument for why they should stay with HHM was because HHM is experienced and wouldn't make a small mistake that could have large consequences. Then, they are immediately going to make a small mistake that could have large consequences.

^I'm no lawyer and I don't fully understand it, but they did spell it out for us. Chuck says something like, "Even the smallest infraction can have large consequences in this sector." I'm paraphrasing, but Chuck's own argument for why they should stay with HHM was because HHM is experienced and wouldn't make a small mistake that could have large consequences. Then, they are immediately going to make a small mistake that could have large consequences.

HHM will probably fire their young associate, the one they always used for proofreading Jimmy's stuff, before they discover the fraud.

I don't understand the significance of the number and the restaurant location's street number. Aren't the numbers Jimmy flipped on the bank paperwork for a Scottsdale, AZ addy and not a place in ABQ? Maybe I'm just missing something...

SuperfireCorman

Neo Member
I don't understand the significance of the number and the restaurant location's street number. Aren't the numbers Jimmy flipped on the bank paperwork for a Scottsdale, AZ addy and not a place in ABQ? Maybe I'm just missing something...

Nope, you're definitely correct, the flipped address is in Scottsdale. Unless they drove 6+ hours to eat at that hot dog stand, the number is probably just an homage to the real place featured in Breaking Bad and now Saul.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- the significance of the street number thing is that we don't know yet. could just be a wink from VG, or it could be a hint that Jimmy has bigger plans.

-- other than the address, the significance is that the hot dog joint or whatever it is featured in this episode with Jimmy and Kim is the same place Jesse bought his gun back in the BB world.

There's probably no real point to the address 1216, other than VG's nod to the audience who is paying attention and knows they (we) have finding easter eggs.

I think someone said something similar a page or so back, but I think there's something about Kim we don't know and it will actually at least partly be a fuck up by her that makes Jimmy slip into Saul

See now, what I don't really get is that those are all official documents FROM Mesa Verde (or sent to Mesa Verde) - and not by HHM- meaning that those being tampered with will be easily provable by HHM.
They were given to them by Mesa Verde after all.
So if HHM drafts up documents for Mesa Verde using the false expansion address and it lands them in some trouble (which it obviously will, since that's Jimmy's plan), I don't see how it will reflect badly on them at all...
Won't they just be able to say: "Well, look, these are the paper you gave us for reference on the expansion" and be done with it ?
I'm sure Mesa Verde will be in trouble for it but that's about it... I don't see how it impacts their relation with HHM.

That in turn creates the turmoil between Mesa and HHM, who fucked it up and how? Mesa can turn around and say, "Here's our electronic files, when we printed them, they were correct. You got them and now they aren't." Each can blame the other, which may be enough to cause a rift. At that point, the only one who could possibly figure out it was Jimmy is Chuck. And maybe he does. Maybe that realization and whatever Chuck does in response is what drives forth the final transformation into Saul. We'll see.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- yes I absolutely believe we'll learn more about Kim which will play into the ultimate separation from Jimmy / Saul we see in BB. (no I don't buy the 'maybe Kim just never showed up in BB but she was with him the whole time' theory). I'm operating under the assumption that she moved to ABQ to get away from a self-fulfilling prophecy about sheep and wolves, and either already identifying as a wolf or being the child of a wolf, has dedicated her life to doing things 'the right way.' I do think it would be interesting for her character to discover she's actually this super evil / unscrupulous / underhanded person hiding under everything. But I super doubt it.

-- I'm pretty sure the only way Jimmy gets caught on that Mesa Verde thing is if he tells Kim and brags about 'getting them back', which has to have a 90% probability in this world.

-- there's a theory on reddit right now that suggests we've been getting hints about a larger Saul Goodman reveal over the past couple episodes and that he's planning his big coming out party with that commercial he's been editing. I ... believe it.

Vlad

Speaking of Huell. How long till we get him and Bill Burr's character?

Well, it's possible that we won't get either of them. We didn't see either of them until the fourth season of BB, and we know that he didn't hire Huel until he was threatened by Mike in "Full Measure".

Of course, it is always possible that he knew both of them beforehand as clients (defending Huell for pickpocketing, for example).

I think Jimmy is fukt. Here's my take:

He shouldn't have messed with the mesa verde docs. What I believe will happen is that mesa verde will flip a shit and come crawling back to Kim after finding out the wrong address. Howard and Chuck however will start sharpening their knives at HHM for anyone who was responsible for the supposed fuckup. They will however find out that the documents in their computers are actually 1261, and Chuck immediately suspects Jimmy of wrong doing. HHM will sue WM, and Jimmy will be found guilty and disbarred to practice in the state of New Mexico. This is when he will create a new identity of a certain Saul Goodman. Obtain a new license and open a new practice.

There is no way this ends up as a good ending for Kim. She will be devastated. Either she jumps off a bridge like she said she would a few episodes ago, or she will go back to HHM or some other law firm. In any case her reputation is tarnished forever.

He shouldn't have messed with the mesa verde docs. What I believe will happen is that mesa verde will flip a shit and come crawling back to Kim after finding out the wrong address. Howard and Chuck however will start sharpening their knives at HHM for anyone who was responsible for the supposed fuckup. They will however find out that the documents in their computers are actually 1261, and Chuck immediately suspects Jimmy of wrong doing. HHM will sue WM, and Jimmy will be found guilty and disbarred to practice in the state of New Mexico. This is when he will create a new identity of a certain Saul Goodman. Obtain a new license and open a new practice.

There is no way this ends up as a good ending for Kim. She will be devastated. Either she jumps off a bridge like she said she would a few episodes ago, or she will go back to HHM or some other law firm. In any case her reputation is tarnished forever.

The show is set in 2002, I seriously doubt all of those records are digitized as you expect.

A name change is not a cure for getting disbarred. You just can't get a new name and "licence" and rejoin the bar.

Besides enough people know his face in ABQ that even gaining a new identity (and undertaking his legal degree for the second time!) that he wouldn't be able to practice there.

The show is set in 2002, I seriously doubt all of those records are digitized as you expect.
I dont think so. I think computers were pretty common back in 2002 and have been part of corporations since early 90's (office space!).

In any case, I do think it's very easy for HHM to perform an audit trail, computers or not.

A name change is not a cure for getting disbarred. You just can't get a new name and "licence" and rejoin the bar.

Besides enough people know his face in ABQ that even gaining a new identity (and undertaking his legal degree for the second time!) that he wouldn't be able to practice there.
But it's Slippin' Jimmy from Cicero. You can trust him to find sneaky ways to get on the bar again. I'm sure it wont be easy. But he will find a way and that way leads through Better Call Saul.

Veelk

Banned
Some of those documents were from Mesa Verde. Assuming they have a copy of even one of the documents they sent (which is pretty likely), they can verify that the one HHM has is not the one they sent.

But it's Slippin' Jimmy from Cicero. You can trust him to find sneaky ways to get on the bar again. I'm sure it wont be easy. But he will find a way and that way leads through Better Call Saul.

It was implied in flashback scene that he took the Bar exam in NM.

His degree in Breaking Bad has "Saul Goodman" written on it, but universities update name changes on testamurs very often.

edit: Curiously his testamur say he was received a Master of Arts which is not a law degree.

5d631f1115a3532cd84e9637cfffba41.jpg

I dont think so. I think computers were pretty common back in 2002 and have been part of corporations since early 90's (office space!).

In any case, I do think it's very easy for HHM to perform an audit trail, computers or not.

They have zero proof Jimmy was involved. Certainly not enough for Jimmy to be disbarred. HHM have already infringed several attorney risk management practices by storing active files away from the firm's premises.

Kim may figure it out for herself eventually, but that will be the extent of Jimmy's punishment.

They have zero proof Jimmy was involved. Certainly not enough for Jimmy to be disbarred. HHM have already infringed several attorney risk management practices by storing active files away from the firm's premises.

Kim may figure it out for herself eventually, but that will be the extent of Jimmy's punishment.
Yeah there's no hard evidence. It's all based on Chuck's word. Chuck and Kim would definitely find out, but Chuck is a smart dude. He knows Jimmy was there the night he was knocked out. But yeah you're right, they cant blame Jimmy without implicating themselves for storing client docs in an unsecure place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom