• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haxan

Banned
Judging by comments, I have a feeling that I'm going to be alone on this, but I'm not feeling Mike's story nearly as much as I am Jimmy's. It's done well and all, but I just feel like it's disconnected from the better part of the show.

Arkeband

Banned
My predictions:

Hector doesn't suspect Mike, but Mike is going to perpetuate the conflict. Remember, this is Mike "No Half Measures" Ehrmantraut, who just learned that a good Samaritan died due to his stunt. I assume he eventually crosses paths with Gus, and Hector is left crippled as a result of this escalation.

As far as Chuck,
I think he dies.
The writing is on the wall, the drama is too good. Jimmy and Kim are in the most precarious position, this will throw things into so much disarray and leave everyone with so much guilt.

I cannot wait for episode 10. Last night's episode elevated this series to new heights for me.

Judging by comments, I have a feeling that I'm going to be alone on this, but I'm not feeling Mike's story nearly as much as I am Jimmy's. It's done well and all, but I just feel like it's disconnected from the better part of the show.

They're two parallel paths that will converge again. Consider why Jimmy recommends Mike's skillset to Walter in BB, they're nowhere near that level yet. (does Jimmy even know that Mike is a hitman?)

I like them equally (Mike is in the slowest Grand Theft Auto game of all time and I fucking love it) but they are completely two unconnected shows.

Incredible episode for both protagonists... How many seasons will this have?
I think I heard them say about four or five seasons at the most. One thing I like about this and breaking bad is that the creators seem to have a finite story arc in mind, which makes for a much better overall story in my opinion.

My predictions

As far as Chuck,
I think he dies.
The writing is on the wall, the drama is too good. Jimmy and Kim are in the most precarious position, this will throw things into so much disarray and leave everyone with so much ?
Nah. Chuck is the perfect foil for Jimmy; VG's not gonna toss him under a bus just yet. Their relationship is like Androcles and the Lion gone wrong.

typist

If Chuck is dead or permanently disabled or something then the next episode might be the last. Kim would rightly blame Jimmy and cut him out of her life. It would parallel the end of Breaking Bad where Walt gets Hank killed and then loses everything.

So I'm guessing Chuck is just temporarily hurt - hell the bump on the head might even cure his condition. Then next season we could get a more active Chuck competing with Jimmy in court cases or something. Great episode in any case, amazing writing.

If Chuck is dead or permanently disabled or something then the next episode might be the last. Kim would rightly blame Jimmy and cut him out of her life. It would parallel the end of Breaking Bad where Walt gets Hank killed and then loses everything.

So I'm guessing Chuck is just temporarily hurt - hell the bump on the head might even cure his condition. Then next season we could get a more active Chuck competing with Jimmy in court cases or something. Great episode in any case, amazing writing.

Never thought of the bolded possibility...

Yeah, I thought Kim's little speech to Jimmy in bed is kind of foreshadowing Chuck vs Jimmy in court next season, so I'm on team Slippin Chuck ain't dead.

Great idea about the bump curing Chuck though

masud

Banned
I still think the driver seeing that car is gonna complicate things for Mike. The way they framed the shot where the driver notices the car makes it obvious.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Another fantastic episode. Jimmy's "evolution" is so well done. Both him and Chuck are excellent flawed characters.

I was legit shook with that ending. Hope Chuck turns out alright, especially from a storytelling perspective. Him either dying or being cured by that would be too much I think, especially with how understated the show has been. We'll see.

Surfinn

One of the best episodes yet.

The scene at Chuck's place with Jimmy and Kim was incredible. Kim is an excellently written character.

I'm hooked, well done, AMC.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I stopped hating Howard until he started fucking with Kim.

No one puts Kim in the basement.

No one fucks with the Kim.

ElRenoRaven

I stopped hating Howard until he started fucking with Kim.

No one puts Kim in the basement.

No one fucks with the Kim.

Damn right. All Hail Queen Kim! She's seriously one of the best parts of the show. I love watching her and Jimmy interact. Such a well written character.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
They hit gold with Rhea Seehorn. The way she plays the character is a huge part of why she's so endearing.

edit: tbh that goes fot the whole cast as far as hitting gold.

I still think the driver seeing that car is gonna complicate things for Mike. The way they framed the shot where the driver notices the car makes it obvious.

I think you're reading the wrong message from the shot. He saw the hidden car and immediately knew he was fucked. Mike wouldn't be so careless.

I don't think it was even Mike's car though. Maybe I have a shit memory but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his actual car - I'm pretty confident it was at least a different color than the one he drove later in the episode.

I was excited because we were on the verge of chuck.gif 2.0, and then he hit his head.

hsWxre3.gif

At least Chuck remembered to ground himself

This got me.

Surfinn

They hit gold with Rhea Seehorn. The way she plays the character is a huge part of why she's so endearing.

edit: tbh that goes fot the whole cast as far as hitting gold.

When the show first started, I didn't care for her much. Love her now, that was an incredible scene at Chuck's.

IronRinn

Thanks for those pics. I really thought it was the same car and wondered how he could have been so careless (or written that way). Glad to see that was not the case.

Yeah, I thought Kim's little speech to Jimmy in bed is kind of foreshadowing Chuck vs Jimmy in court next season, so I'm on team Slippin Chuck ain't dead.
The only way Chuck will go up against Jimmy in Court is if Chuck is called to be a witness in a professional misconduct hearing against Jimmy. Chuck is not a prosecutor and probably hasn't set foot in court for years and years.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- Howard Hamlin is easily the most underrated character in the show. He's so opaque, but just enough character slips through those eyes at just the right moment that we see he's complex and has a bunch of different motivations, not the least of which is using Chuck but only at arm's length. Don't be surprised if we learn Hamlin is some secret mastermind manipulating Chuck for a while.

-- If Chuck was dead, they would've shown it. I can't recall any ambiguity on dead characters in this ABQ universe basically ever. The number of directions they could go with him here is what's really interesting. Perhaps his internal clock or whatever it is clicks into gear and he loses his electromagnetic allergy. Or perhaps this is the moment Hamlin was waiting for to oust him (and his share). Perhaps this sends Chuck into crazy weird lawyer overdrive and CHUCK is the one that soils the McGill name under which Jimmy has to escape? Who knows, now.

-- I would buy my own last theory there a bit more if Jimmy wasn't so obviously prepping to unveil the Saul Goodman persona with this commercial.

-- The car Mike used for the heist was a rental and was bright blue. It was a similar model, perhaps the same, as his real car, which is black. Not surprised people are confused.

-- Will admit I didn't expect the big arc for Mike would be how hard he still needs to learn 'no half measures.' And boy do we have a long way to go before he's ruthlessly offing bad dudes from here, where he literally cannot pull the trigger. What has to go wrong in his life for him to become that person? We already know his daughter in law and granddaughter survive, so ... ?

-- I do kinda buy the idea that Ernesto -- a darker skinned Hispanic character -- is related to Gustavo Fring. Perhaps that's what FRINGS BACK (the first letter of every show this season) means? Not Gus but Ernesto? (my understanding is that Gus is/was gay so I don't know that Ernesto would be his son, but who knows)

-- Everybody noticed Kim's wonderful moment standing up to Chuck, knowing full well he was right about Jimmy. So she's fully committed to Jimmy now. The best part of this is that she's adopting no half measures and gently prompting Jimmy to clean up his mess.

-- Did everyone notice how Jimmy was bathed in light in that scene, like he was holy and using her to project his innocence? That was funny.

-- I do kinda buy the idea that Ernesto -- a darker skinned Hispanic character -- is related to Gustavo Fring. Perhaps that's what FRINGS BACK (the first letter of every show this season) means? Not Gus but Ernesto? (my understanding is that Gus is/was gay so I don't know that Ernesto would be his son, but who knows)

This would suck infinitely.

This show is going to explode when Gus hits the scene.

My memory of BB is fuzzy. Had Gus been in business a long time at that point? I think his lab was brand new, and Gale had only started cooking for him.

wait what you mean the letters are scrambled? because it don't spell that bruh

Holy shit.

wait what you mean the letters are scrambled? because it don't spell that bruh

Yep, scrambled:

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch
Bali Hai’i
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

My memory of BB is fuzzy. Had Gus been in business a long time at that point? I think his lab was brand new, and Gale had only started cooking for him.

Los Pollos Hermanos was operating for at least 20 years so yes. He may not have expanded in ABQ yet or hooked-up with Madrigal.

Holy shit.
Come on, now. Ernesto was a low-level grunt. He didn't exactly strike me as Chilean, either.

--
-- Will admit I didn't expect the big arc for Mike would be how hard he still needs to learn 'no half measures.' And boy do we have a long way to go before he's ruthlessly offing bad dudes from here, where he literally cannot pull the trigger. What has to go wrong in his life for him to become that person? We already know his daughter in law and granddaughter survive, so ... ?

I think that we're already moving towards that with his absolute devastation at essentially being responsible for the death of the innocent "good Samaritan" who was murdered for no reason by the cartel. I really liked that scene as you could see just how much it hurt Mike to hear about that. He had thought he managed to get back at Hector, but instead he vastly underestimated how ruthless and cold Hector was in dealing with any problems. I'm assuming from here on out Mike sees that if he wants his actions to have any success or lasting impact he needs to fully with them (no half measures).

Arkeband

Banned
10. Klick
9. Nailed
8. Fifi
7. Inflatable
6. Bali Ha'i
5. Rebecca
4. Gloves Off
3. Amarillo
2. Cobbler
1. Switch

S C A G R B I F N K
F R I N G S B A C K

Huh, weird. I bet this is a coincidence, that's a pretty lame anagram.

edit: beaten like Tuco's henchman

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn what an episode. My favorite moment was actually when Kim told Jimmy to go cover his bases. Dark side showing.

Rhea Seehorn is so amazing this season. Have to say this is the first time I've seen her in anything, any other shows/series where she's this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom