• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

xenist

Thank god Kim finished the episode alive. I don't know if will be able to continue watching once the inevitable happens to her.

And while fuck Chuck continues to be true, what a completely miserable way to go. Thankfully Hector ate shit so at least there was one upside.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
How are you guys so sure it'll be renewed when the viewership numbers have been on the decline? I remember seeing an article with numbers and they didn't seem that much better than Hannibal when it was cancelled.

AMC renews everything it seems. Hannibal was on NBC where that matters. BB didn't have that great of ratings either honestly till the last season.

____

fWo9Exp.gif

This is what pushes Chuck over the edge.

First the court thing, then the asking him to retire, then this?

His ego wasn't prepared.

jett

D-Member
Well shit, figured it would end that way for Chuck.

I guess the Hector subplot is over, don't see the point for more Nacho business. Even the Gus/Mike stuff could be considered wrapped up. We could see no more of those plotlines and it wouldn't really matter, in relation to Breaking Bad. I wonder how S4 will be handled, and also just how many more seasons can they squeeze outta this show.

How are you guys so sure it'll be renewed when the viewership numbers have been on the decline? I remember seeing an article with numbers and they didn't seem that much better than Hannibal when it was cancelled.

BCS is in the top three cable shows of the week when DVR numbers are factored in. Sometimes its number one. It is not going anywhere until the creative team says so.

Chumley

Banned

There's no way they're going to fuck with Vince Gillian. They'll give him what he wants.

I guess the Hector subplot is over, don't see the point for more Nacho business. Even the Gus/Mike stuff could be considered wrapped up. We could see no more of those plotlines and it wouldn't really matter, in relation to Breaking Bad. I wonder how S4 will be handled, and also just how many more seasons can they squeeze outta this show.

There's plenty.

We get to see how Mike starts working directly for Gus.

We get to see how Nacho gets to be known to Saul.

We get to see what relationship Gus and Nacho form.

Yeah, you can assume a lot of this from the things we know in BB, but the fun is in the journey. Mike doesn't seem like a guy who would do the things he does in BB at this point. And Gus is clearly playing a long game that involves more that taking over a distribution route.

jett

D-Member
There's plenty.

We get to see how Mike starts working directly for Gus.

We get to see how Nacho gets to be known to Saul.

We get to see what relationship Gus and Nacho form.

Yeah, you can assume a lot of this from the things we know in BB, but the fun is in the journey. Mike doesn't seem like a guy who would do the things he does in BB at this point. And Gus is clearly playing a long game that involves more that taking over a distribution route.

Does Nacho show up in Breaking Bad? I don't remember.

Yeah I guess they could fill up the show with all kinds of stuff.

riotous

Banned

When
Walt and Jesse kidnap Saul, in the first episode where he appears, he says something like "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" (Ignacio = Nacho)

He's mentioned. In a way that maybe suggests that he's dead or in jail, and has had some dealings with Saul.

You could say the whole show is filled up with "all kinds of stuff." We could have just watched the finale and it would make sense (apart from wondering where Kim went).

The point is that the characters and plot are interesting. I want to see more of Mike and Nacho, even if it's not required by the concept of "how Jimmy became Saul."

To me, Howard is the brother Chuck always wanted. A respectable law man, who Chuck groomed and worked alongside for almost 20 years to build HHM. As a big brother figure, Chuck helped Howard become who he is, professionally.
Howard certainly was the younger brother Chuck wished Jimmy was, in nearly every single way.

And Chuck still chose to fuck him over in the end, too.

Mariolee

I don't know why but I am actually just stressed out thinking about how Jimmy and Kim will react to Chuck's suicide. While there's been crazy stuff that has happened to them, this may be the darkest.

riotous

Banned
Yeah... Kim is getting addicted to Oxys...

I hope not. While that could have been foreshadowing it also could have just been a part of Jimmy's little "mothering" routine. He feels guilty because he is why she was pushing herself so hard.

If anything, Kim will realize she was a workaholic and she'll enjoy her time off so much she'll decide to pursue something else.

Although guilt from Chuck's death + taking painkillers might lead to an addiction like you said.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I hope not. While that could have been foreshadowing it also could have just been a part of Jimmy's little "mothering" routine. He feels guilty because he is why she was pushing herself so hard.

If anything, Kim will realize she was a workaholic and she'll enjoy her time off so much she'll decide to pursue something else.

Which Kim is noticing already hence why she went to Blockbuster and got 10 movies. That rate she should get a movie pass for cheaper.

____

I think it was more his conscious than his ego.

I'd agree with that.

Just knowing who Chuck is, what he's done for HHM, what he's contributed and the years he's put in, I can only imagine the profound effect that thunderous "GTFOH old man" clap had on him.

Someone on Reddit noticed that the numbers never changed on the meter.

http://imgur.com/a/MfB4c

So, it's possible that he was imagining it all.

I noticed this too, but I took it as an indication that it was such a minuscule trickle of electricity that it was just barely spinning the wheel, but not even enough to tick the number up after all day.

Either way a strong demonstration of his neurotic obsession.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This is what pushes Chuck over the edge.

First the court thing, then the asking him to retire, then this?

His ego wasn't prepared.

This and cutting Jimmy out of his life.

When did he first come down with his affliction? Right after his marriage fell apart, yes?

I think it was more his conscious than his ego.

I think you mean conscience </Chuck>

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
When
Walt and Jesse kidnap Saul, in the first episode where he appears, he says something like "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" (Ignacio = Nacho)

That's pushing it. At the time they had no idea they would ever do a prequel. Nacho doesn't appear in Breaking Bad.

riotous

Banned
That's pushing it. At the time they had no idea they would ever do a prequel. Nacho doesn't appear in Breaking Bad.

Peter Gould pretty much confirmed it:

Well, we know his name is Ignacio, and that’s a name Saul drops in his very first appearance in this universe.

Peter Gould: You’re so right. We’ve laid down our marker that these guys are going to have more to do with each other.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-...like-saul-goodman-but-we-love-jimmy-mcgill/2/

Ithil

I must give a special shoutout to the show's composer for the superb music while Chuck was tearing apart his house.

big ander

I can't imagine anybody thinking Chuck's death was unearned or cheap. Beyond what's already been said about losing literally everything he values, Dr. Cruz straight-up tells him that this recovery is going to be a long and difficult process, that he shouldn't turn every light on and go on frequent excursions and have a big party right away--that he needs to do little things but back off and ask her for help if he starts to feel out of his depth and relapses. Instead Chuck repeatedly goes to the office and makes a show of being able to be near lights and turns on his electricity and uses tools.
Let's get some early morbid predictions for next season(assuming there is a next season). I'm afraid Kim might get addicted to painkillers. That scene with the pills was too specific for my liking. She'll feel guilty about Chuck, for sure, the question is how will she outlet that guilt.
Kim's reaction to her crash made me optimistic, funnily enough. I'm genuinely starting to think she will get out of Better Call Saul alive and healthy.

After the crash she realizes that Jimmy is more important to her, and that she's been working hard as a lawyer for years to distract from the fact that she lost track of her passion for the law some time ago. Unlike the brothers McGill, Kim seems sincerely dedicated to reevaluating her life. I think she can pull it off.

ajpw

so who was the actress that played the girl he talked to when he confessed all?
I recognise her from previous seasons i think. been trying to find her name with no success

Ill just assume the Netflix deal will get one more season out of it.

Not sure I want it to go on longer then that.

Fatalah

so who was the actress that played the girl he talked to when he confessed all?
I recognise her from previous seasons i think. been trying to find her name with no success

Last season. She works at the fancy law firm Jimmy left behind -- the lawyer who did everything 'by the book'.

Kadayi

Banned
When

Interesting. Hopefully, that means he's still technically alive in the series mythology. The presumption is given he's a new character that by the series end he's probably dead, but mayhap Nacho will escape events.
That does, of course, open up the possibility that potentially he might uncover Saul in the present day.

CHC

I would be happy if Season 4 was the final season, and in some ways, analogous to BB Season 5. You've just dealt with the major conflicts, now you deal with starting something new (Saul Goodman's career) and have a smaller conflict that is introduced and resolved in one arc.

Overall I was a little tepid on this finale. It all felt a bit sudden and yet anticlimactic. I'm not sure what I was expected but most everything that happened I was like "OK, yeah" rather and "ohhhhhh shit."

Sethista

I think the progression and relapse of chucks illness in this episode showed that it truly has his relationship with his family, specially jimmy, at the center of it.

As soon as he said what he said to jimmy, that he didnt matter, he relapse, on overdrive. and as he was looking for that last source of electricity, poking holes in the wall, I thought that the source is inside chuck, his guilty is causing it. So no matter how may holes he poked, he would always feel it. and I think he figured that out by the end.

Necron

What an absolutely sad way to end this season. That flashback at the beginning - I should have seen it coming. :(

Chuck's last words to Jimmy are so cruel...

big ander

Yea as soon as the flashback happened Chuck's death felt inevitable. Of course that was already on the front of my mind:
I could see Chuck having some sort of accident tonight. especially with the title being "Lantern". as I'm rewatching "Chicanery" Jimmy makes an effort to point out Chuck having a lantern on top of newspapers...

iirate

I'm wondering if this finale laid the groundwork for the final seasons in a way we haven't seen before. I feel like s4 will be the falling out w/Kim and I used to think that Jimmy would be too far gone and Kim would cut ties, but now I think he might end up "Sandpiper"ing her after realizing how toxic he is to her.

The rest of the past timeline could be Jimmy realizing his fate as Chuck laid out, and the future timeline might be where he finally rejects that fate and redeems himself(whether that be through reconciliation with Kim or through other means).

Also, I think I'm in love with Nacho. He had better take a bigger role from now on.

big ander

I'm wondering if this finale laid the groundwork for the final seasons in a way we haven't seen before. I feel like s4 will be the falling out w/Kim and I used to think that Jimmy would be too far gone and Kim would cut ties, but now I think he might end up "Sandpiper"ing her after realizing how toxic he is to her.

The rest of the past timeline could be Jimmy realizing his fate as Chuck laid out, and the future timeline might be where he finally rejects that fate and redeems himself(whether that be through reconciliation with Kim or through other means).

Also, I think I'm in love with Nacho. He had better take a bigger role from now on.

Ooh I hadn't thought of this but now it seems the most likely path forward to me. Jimmy's going to sacrifice his relationship with Kim because he'll think it will push her away from him in order to prevent his destructive tendencies from dragging her down.

then that could easily open it up to seeing something involving her and Cinnabon Gene

SpaceWolf

Banned
Amazing episode. Best of the series for me.

Frustratingly my Dad refuses to believe anyone could have predicted Chuck dying in a lantern related manner, which others and myself have been calling all season based on all the foreshadowing.

Top Bottom