• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Amazing episode. Best of the series for me.

Frustratingly my Dad refuses to believe anyone could have predicted Chuck dying in a lantern related manner, which others and myself have been calling all season based on all the foreshadowing.

It was so deliberate at times I had begun assuming it was misdirection. Although most people were assuming it would have been purely accidental.

They have been foreshadowing all season about the lantern on the newspapers. I've always thought his death would've been accidental. To see his demise in such a dramatic faction is quite bittersweet actually. When he told Jimmy "You've never meant that much to me", it is the final catalyst that made Chuck realize deep down he's all alone. He burned all the bridges, from his friend, his career, to his family.

I'm a bit disappointed at the absence of Mike, although the backshot of Kim in her PJs did help make things better. Your welcome

From reddit:
bonus scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQpVA6gMh0
apparently, you get it by answering questions on bcsbingo.com

I didn't consciously pick up on any foreshadowing earlier in the season, but I must've observed it through osmosis or subconsciously or something, because as soon as I knew the title of the episode and saw the flashback intro I knew where we were going.

rekameohs

Banned
It was so deliberate at times I had begun assuming it was misdirection. Although most people were assuming it would have been purely accidental.

Yeah, I was even saying as much at the start of the episode.

Chuck burning down his house seems too obvious, but they're really laying on the foreshadowing

But I was not expecting it to be a suicide. You have to be truly gone to choose such a horrific way to go.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What an episode, what a season. I'm officially in camp BCS > BrBa now. I was already around mid-season, but they capped it off so perfectly.

Patrick Fabian was incredible the entire season, but this finale felt like the culmination of his arc. Him basically giving a 3 mil handout to Chuck, humiliating as fuck.

I also love Erin and was really glad to see her return here. Please be back in the next seasons.

So s4 hasn't been formally announced yet? I know this show isn't going anywhere but I want to be sure

Maybe they want to renew the final two seasons at once? Could be why it's taking longer.. or they might pull a split extended final season thing

Daffy Duck

Fantastic finale and a great season.

Gutted it's over.

I wonder how they start season 4:
A) fast forward to his suspension being early over and him finding his criminal lawyer niche
B) carry on where we left off in the morning after the ending scene

Story-wise, I'd feel content getting 1 more season of pre-Breaking Bad story and then 1 final season of all post-Breaking Bad story. That'd be ideal, I think.

They have been foreshadowing all season about the lantern on the newspapers. I've always thought his death would've been accidental. To see his demise in such a dramatic faction is quite bittersweet actually. When he told Jimmy "You've never meant that much to me", it is the final catalyst that made Chuck realize deep down he's all alone. He burned all the bridges, from his friend, his career, to his family.

I'm a bit disappointed at the absence of Mike, although the backshot of Kim in her PJs did help make things better. Your welcome

From reddit:
bonus scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQpVA6gMh0
apparently, you get it by answering questions on bcsbingo.com
Damn at that no picnic bonus scene... :-(

Rymuth

- That face on Jimmy when Chuck told him off....my god, Bob Odenkirk is phenomenal.

- I really don't understand why Hector Salamanca is perpetually angry. So much misfortune would be avoided if he stopped trying to wipe his dick off everyone's face....waitaminnit...Hector is Walt!

- That last shot....fuuuuuck >_>

Metroxed

I liked this last episode and I have been loving the entire show so far, but I do have one issue that bothers me.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before (they probably have), but as a native Spanish speaker it is very jarring to hear some of the supposedly "native" Spanish spoken on this show. Breaking Bad had the exact same issue. Gus is supposed to be Chilean but he (the actor) is obviously not a native speaker and his Spanish is not convincing at all; he has the accent of someone who has just learned Spanish. Nowhere close to Chilean Spanish. Other characters are definitely played by native speakers, but I think some of the major Spanish-speaking characters are played by actors who do not really speak Spanish: Gus is the most noticeable but others had this issue as well. Nacho speaks very well most of the time but every now and then you can tell he is not native either.

I know this won't affect most watchers - especially if they don't speak Spanish - but it has always personally bothered me, since the days of Breaking Bad.

BHK3

Banned
I liked this last episode and I have been loving the entire show so far, but I do have one issue that bothers me.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before (they probably have), but as a native Spanish speaker it is very jarring to hear some of the supposedly "native" Spanish spoken on this show. Breaking Bad had the exact same issue. Gus is supposed to be Chilean but he (the actor) is obviously not a native speaker and his Spanish is not convincing at all; he has the accent of someone who has just learned Spanish. Nowhere close to Chilean Spanish. Other characters are definitely played by native speakers, but I think some of the major Spanish-speaking characters are played by actors who do not really speak Spanish: Gus is the most noticeable but others had this issue as well. Nacho speaks very well most of the time but every now and then you can tell he is not native either.

I know this won't affect most watchers - especially if they don't speak Spanish - but it has always personally bothered me, since the days of Breaking Bad.

It's like this for most TV. I really like The Man in The High Castle, but there's very little japanese spoken in that outside like 2-3 because those are the only native ones.

riotous

Banned
Gustavo sounding like a second year high school Spanish student has been remarked on a lot; I believe a few others have stood out too.

Even as someone who doesn't speak a lick of Spanish it can be a little distracting but I just kind of try to ignore it.

- I really don't understand why Hector Salamanca is perpetually angry. So much misfortune would be avoided if he stopped trying to wipe his dick off everyone's face....waitaminnit...Hector is Walt!

because he has a huge ego and he can't get over the fact that he lost his distribution to a man he views as vastly inferior. He still thinks he's the big boss in the Cartel.

Yeah you just have to accept it (native speaker here also). Here's my order from worst to best:

1. Tio Salamanca - just terrible - and his fake Spanish accent is also bad
2. Gus - Some minor moments where it doesn't sound terrible, and overall better than Tio, but not convincing at all
3. Nacho - Just some minor weird moments that betray he's not a native speaker. Could be believable as perhaps the son of a native speaker who didn't quite pick up the language

And as far as I'm aware, here are the native speakers:

1. Nachos dad
2. Don Eladio
3. Juan Bolsa

Is that it? Any others?

Dai101

Banned

To be fair. Is Gus genuinelly spoke with a chilean accent spanish and lingo even us native spanish speakers would need subtitles.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
One of the saddest season finales I've watched in recent times.

Chuck was a character that wanted to do things right, no matter how skewed his views might be and how affected by his brother he was. Seeing a mentally ill person who always tried to keep things in order and was actually working into recognizing his condition and getting better to break down in loneliness like that, completely give up after destroying his own home and resort to suicide by fire is profoundly upsetting. Kudos to the show for managing to make me feel like this without resorting to cheap tricks. In lesser hands, such a development could have been hokey.

The opinion a brother holds of you is a powerful thing. Congratulations to the writers for using it as a driving force through these seasons the way they did. I'll miss Michael McKean on the show, he always added a lot into making BCS what it is.

If there's anything to look forward is how this will hit Jimmy. Even if he doesn't know it was a suicide, he saw Chuck in his final moments while the house was intact, the lights were on and music was playing, so he'll likely know something went wrong. As much as Chuck helped congealing the worst of Jimmy into "Saul", Jimmy also had a hand into ultimately breaking Chuck with the shaming in court and the rising of the premiums, which was the catalyst for his final situation with Howard at HHM. Inadvertently or not, one brother kept hurting the other until the end. Like they keep saying on the podcast, BCS truly is a tragedy.

pr0cs

Man what top tier television. Absolutely heart breaking including the 'no picnic' scene. I love TV that doesn't insult viewers intelligence or have no impact if you miss an episode. I think bcs is consistently better than brba in pretty much everything it does.
I am crossing fingers and toes that they announce the next season renewal and they can continue to put forth such wicked content that they did this season.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The thing with Howard was interesting too in the sense that Chuck wasn't counting on him playing that hand. He went there sure that after the meeting he'd have work to do either way – by staying in the firm or by working on the lawsuit against it. Turned out he had to leave with absolutely nothing, with no one but Howard knowing about it. It really is sad how lonely and unloved he was in his final moments, and with nothing to strive for.

That was a pretty devastating episode and about as bleak as anything that Breaking Bad ever did.

If this show continues on its current upward trajectory then it could actually end up equaling BB although they ate two different shows doing different things with the same cast. Its amazing.

Iceman

Can we all just stand up for a moment a give a round of applause?

That sandpiper setup at the beginning of the season... I just couldn't see the where that was headed. But it paid off in a big way in the finale. Bridges (
and big brothers
) burned. Great that Erin was brought back. And that bonus scene (no picnic) - so sweet and sad.

Veelk

Banned
It was kind of funny to see Erin's confused reactions to Jimmy's compliments. She has no idea how he's scummy enough to manipulate the elderly for a million dollars, but noble enough to give that money up to make them feel better.

Kahoona

Anybody else think Kim may get addicted to pain pills next season? They seemed to allude to it when Jimmy gave her a choice between Ibuprofen and the "good" stuff, and Kim says "always the good stuff".

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Anybody else think Kim may get addicted to pain pills next season? They seemed to allude to it when Jimmy gave her a choice between Ibuprofen and the "good" stuff, and Kim says "always the good stuff".

I don't think so. She is in pain and just got out of the hospital of course she wants the good stuff. I would say the same thing.

Yes. As others have said, that scene is too specific to be meaningless so it's definitely a possibility the writers are hinting at. I hope it's not though, I really like Kim.

Kahoona

Yes. As others have said, that scene is too specific to be meaningless so it's definitely a possibility the writers are hinting at. I hope it's not though, I really like Kim.

There has to be something that separates her from Jimmy eventually though. A heroin overdose makes sense to me.

God I hope they don't do a drug addiction story with her.

Fuck, 10 straight episodes of people arguing if it's really Jimmy's fault or not.

fuck

BunnyBear

As usual, you're going off the rails and becoming petulant over a TV show. You have this incredibly irritating tone where your interpretation of characters is the only right one, and that anyone who doesn't agree is a child or dumb. I'd tell you to try and dial it back, but I know you won't. I don't agree with your worldview at all.

Exactly. Irritating is an understatement. You just gotta learn to scroll past sometimes.

Anyway, incredible television. It's one of those shows I pause every so often to take stock and check how long is left because it's so damn good and I want to savour every moment. Watching BCS is a pleasure.

I await the season 4 announcement with nerves. Ya'll can say what you like, but it's unusual for a show not to be renewed for another season by the time of its final episode.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
There has to be something that separates her from Jimmy eventually though. A heroin overdose makes sense to me.

Career path? Howard might look for another partner and sees Kim rising. Jimmy/Saul losing it and bailing out criminals. Kim can say fuck it and even move home.

Saul goes to Ohama for a reason and Kim is from that area.

rekameohs

Banned
V4FoGHt.jpg

"The Adventures of Mabel" was on the desk with the lantern when Chuck committed suicide.

Exactly. Irritating is an understatement. You just gotta learn to scroll past sometimes
I really don't understand the level of irritation here. While I often disagree with Veelk, he's certainly easy to discuss things with, he tries to be clear in his writing, and on multiple occasions that I've witnessed he's amended or changed his perspective based on discussion or new developments. Generally speaking the ones who take the conversation in a negative direction are those responding to some point he made that they completely disagree with. Along with their disagreement they introduce some strange anger or vitriol...
I get why the podcast was 2 hours this week. I'm only 15 minutes in so far but wow Bob really rambles.
He DOES! :-(

BunnyBear

I'm pleasantly surprised not a single person here mentioned how good Rhea looked in her PJs. It was all over Reddit in a good-natured way.

She's 45 years old. She's stunning.

Top Bottom