• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Altazor

Another great episode, damn. I think Dj Khaled's immortal words are perfecty adequate (heh) for what happened by the end of the episode: congratulations, you played yourself.

gun_haver

You're being too nice. It's slow as fuck. Maybe I'm actually watching a different show from most of GAF but these last two episodes have been mind-numbingly boring at points. I don't care for seeing every step of Mike's detective work at all on any level whatsoever.

I think that stuff is cool. It's a slow show.

Dark_castle

You're being too nice. It's slow as fuck. Maybe I'm actually watching a different show from most of GAF but these last two episodes have been mind-numbingly boring at points. I don't care for seeing every step of Mike's detective work at all on any level whatsoever.

Mike's part is slower paced, but Mike's awesome anyway so screw you.

The first half of this episode was excruciatingly slow (I don't normally say that about this show, it just stood out for me this time).

The second half more than made up for it though, whew. Chuck's planning was on another level.

BunnyBear

I think you're a mentalist to be honest. Go watch another show that massages your ADD.

This was probably my favourite episode of the show so far. The Los Pollos reveal was exciting as fuck (I only wish we hadn't been spoiled on his return) while Bob's acting through the episode was sensational. And Francesca? Oh my. The Cracker Barrel stuff was hilarious.

This is the best show on telly.

Slacker

I think that stuff is cool. It's a slow show.

Whoever said they like BCS because it doesn't seem like it was directed by an MTV director is spot on. I appreciate the deliberate pace as long as I'm interested in the characters and the story (don't confuse this for Walking Dead season 2 on the farm, which was slow without anything interesting happening). Once in a while I try stuff like "How To Get Away With Murder" and it's just too much nonsense thrown at the screen for me. BCS and Fargo are perfect.

kevin1025

Banned
There's a 4-6 minute stretch in Breaking Bad of Gus methodically taking off his suit, laying it out perfectly, putting on a hazard suit, doing it all up, and then cutting a guy's throat. It's all about the meaning of that time, the tension and the intrigue in those slow moments. Both shows are slow and take their time, and that's not a bad thing. Certain shows know how to use their time wisely, and to their advantage. A character drama showing the methodical steps of one of its main characters gave me more information about that character than an exposition scene another show would give. The Mike scenes are the equivalent of Liam Neeson saying he has a certain set of skills in Taken. One is dialogue, the other is showing and not telling. Some shows are breakneck speed, and also work that to their advantage.

The first season had an old lady taking a minute to ride down her stair seat thing.

This show has some of its best moments in the slowness of the scene.

I feel like the Mike tailing scene got deflated by the promotional stuff at the beginning. You know the end was going to be Los Pollos Hermanos, and the scene just ending there was like "Okay? That's it?"

Less a problem with the show and more the marketing behind it. But yeah, that's one of the few times the pacing of a scene in this show really stood out to me.

Saganator

Maybe you should watch CSI or Hawaii 5-0 or something.

BunnyBear

I feel like the Mike tailing scene got deflated by the promotional stuff at the beginning. You know the end was going to be Los Pollos Hermanos, and the scene just ending there was like "Okay? That's it?"

Less a problem with the show and more the marketing behind it. But yeah, that's one of the few times the pacing of a scene in this show really stood out to me.

I agree that it didn't have the same punch because we knew it was coming. As soon as they actively avoided showing the roof of the restaurant as Mike peered through the binoculars it was obvious it was a LPH.

That's got caught out hinting Gus' return last season and were forced to embrace it. I kind of wish they didn't leave the clue in the episode titles now because I don't think they'd have made it part of the season 3 marketing if nobody worked it out.

Whoever said they like BCS because it doesn't seem like it was directed by an MTV director is spot on. I appreciate the deliberate pace as long as I'm interested in the characters and the story (don't confuse this for Walking Dead season 2 on the farm, which was slow without anything interesting happening). Once in a while I try stuff like "How To Get Away With Murder" and it's just too much nonsense thrown at the screen for me. BCS and Fargo are perfect.

Exactly. Jett, go watch a Michael Bay movie, I'm sure they have lots of explosions and witty rejoinders to sate your thirst for in-your-face bullshittery.

____

Nah, man that's where the gold is.

A few quotes out of this week's interviews:

- EW: Better Call Saul creators on the return of multiple Breaking Bad characters
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What can you say about the level of s— that Jimmy is in at the end of this episode?

VINCE GILLIGAN: Jimmy is in deep doo-doo. Jimmy is entering a world of pain as Walter Sobchak would say in The Big Lebowski.

PETER GOULD: We’ve seen that Jimmy is an expert guide to the criminal justice system, but he’s about to enter it in a very different way.

GILLIGAN: And I think he can’t believe it. At the end of this episode, he can’t believe the depths that his brother would sink to. Having said that, if you look at it on a slightly larger scale — these two brothers, it’s been a bit Spy vs. Spy with these two. These guys have been out to get each other for a while now, and it does look to be about ready to erupt in all-out war.

Jimmy is so devastated by that betrayal, as you can see in his conversations with both Kim and Chuck.
GILLIGAN: Absolutely. Jimmy is caught flat-footed. Just in shock here at the level of betrayal that his brother seems capable of.

GOULD: Because Chuck really used Jimmy’s empathy and care against him. I think it takes Chuck by surprise. I think Chuck is expecting Jimmy to scheme against him. He doesn’t understand how incredibly hurt Jimmy is, and that is what you see at the end of episode 2 — Jimmy is thrown into a rage that Chuck wasn’t even expecting because Chuck doesn’t understand how he’s damaged his brother.
What happens now with Mike? Would you call it game of chess? Cat and mouse? All analogies are welcome.

GILLIGAN: To me, you have one guy playing chess and one guy playing checkers here, when I talk about Jimmy and Gus Fring. When it comes to the guy waiting outside in the car, when it comes to Mike Ehrmantraut, I think yeah, we’ve got a pretty interesting chess match going on here.

GOULD: Of course, at the very end of the episode, Mike finds out he’s been checkmated, and then we’ll wait for episode 3 to find out what that means — because Mike discovers that gas cap with the tracker in it, and this drop phone in the middle of the road. So he has a choice at that point. He knows he’s been made, he could turn around and he could try to disappear again, but he has to stay. And I think there’s a wonderful moment that Vince directed when he decides to pick up that phone because he cannot let this go, no matter how dangerous it might be.

GILLIGAN: I think Mike is to be forgiven for losing this — if you think of a chess match — because he played wonderfully, but he’s up against the master. He’s up against a character of both series who is arguably the smartest guy who we’ve ever seen in this universe. I’m reluctantly including Walter White [Bryan Cranston] in that estimation. Walter White, I think, is a close second in brilliance to Gustavo Fring, but it’s no shame in being a close second or third to that guy. He’s just so overpoweringly brilliant.

- YahooTV: ‘Better Call Saul’ Postmortem: Vince Gilligan on Getting Gus Fring’s Return Just Right
He’s here. And now that Gustavo Fring has revealed himself in the Saul universe, we know by the end of “Witness” that Mike has finally met someone who is as formidable as he is. Now Mike’s facing an opponent on his level.

This is the most capable man in this universe meeting the other most capable man in this universe, and I couldn’t agree more. I was lucky enough to get to direct that episode, and having the first episode where Giancarlo Esposito comes back and once again plays the role of Gus Fring was very exciting. It was exciting for me. It was exciting for the crew. It was just great to see him suited up and on the Los Pollos Hermanos set once more. I felt a great weight of responsibility on me to reintroduce this character in the most dramatically interesting way possible.

I thought long and hard about, how are we first going to lay eyes on this guy? And I had a lot of help from my editor, Kelly Dixon. I had a shot that you see in the episode, but I intended to use a lot more of it and have Gus basically appear from the background walking to the foreground, and you’d see his entire face. The first time he shows up, he’s busing tables and cleaning tabletops, and I was originally going to let it run in the edit so that he walks right into frame and you see his face very completely. My editor, Kelly, cut it a different way.

When I first saw it, I was like, “What are you doing? You need to see his face.” She said, “I like just hinting at him here, and then having him move through frame, and then you wait a couple minutes more, and then Jimmy is reaching in the trash can, and then you’ve got that great reveal there in the footage where Jimmy jerks his arm out of the trash can and there is Gus Fring. I think that’s your big moment. That’s your million dollar shot. Don’t dilute it with this previous moment.”

I was like, “No, I’m the boss,” and I threw a little tantrum, but then I got over it, and I said, “Wait a minute, Kelly’s right.” I give great credit to her. I love the way he is revealed, and it took a village to make that work.

- EW: Giancarlo Esposito breaks down Gus' first scene, what's next
“He completely knows what Jimmy is doing and is just relaxed and calm about it, because before anyone even walks in the door, Gus sees what’s going on,” Esposito tells EW. “It’s not really worry about Jimmy. Gus is smart enough to know that Jimmy has just brought someone else here. … That scene establishes Gus’ tentacles and what he knows. And I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew that they were coming before they came. His awareness that something is about to happen — because he’s been having his guys track Mike for a while — is clear, so in a way the audience is catching up, after Gus made certain moves already. We haven’t seen the moves that Gus has made to be able to research what Mike is doing and who he is, but he’s had time to suss that out. And I like the fact that they throw back in the feeling of Breaking Bad, Gus knowing, thus complicating the story, especially for Saul Goodman. You know [Gus] is going to meet Mike, and you know that’s going to have to happen soon, but how will he next meet Saul Goodman is the interesting question.”

- Daily Beast: ‘Better Call Saul’ Breaks Bad: Creators on Gus Fring’s Return and the Specter of Walter White
When I spoke to Giancarlo Esposito, he told me you guys started dropping hints in the episode titles before you actually approached him about coming back. So how did that work?

Vince: [Laughing] That was the dumbest thing we ever did.

Peter: You’re picking at a raw wound there, Matt. It really was not our finest hour. We had the brilliant—I say “brilliant” in quotation marks—idea, because we started realizing as the season went on, you know, Gus Fring feels like he’s going to be a presence, for all the reasons that Vince just said. And we had this brilliant idea to encode the titles so that if you took the first letter of each title and season two and you scrambled the letters around, you’d get the phrase “FRING’S BACK.” And we thought—and again, not our finest hour—I think our plan was to announce sometime between the seasons, maybe towards the beginning of season three, “Hey, there’s something hidden in the titles.” Thinking that no one would have found anything before then. But of course, as you know, we were completely wrong and we did something which, and this is why I’m embarrassed about it, for two reasons: the first reason is we underestimated our audience, which is something we try never to do, and the other reason is we put these clues into the show before we had even spoken to Giancarlo. Not smart producing, I’d say.

Vince: No, no, it was not. And Giancarlo, god bless him, he and his manager could have really held us over a barrel. But he’s an artist first and all that really mattered to him was making sure that this character that he had played so wonderfully on Breaking Bad would continue in the proper fashion. That we wouldn’t suddenly, you know, make the character dumb or goofy or make him the butt of jokes or somehow lessen him or lessen the memory of how wonderful he was on the previous series. And his concern was, as a good caretaker, as someone who wanted to continue to shepherd that character in the right direction and make him all he could be. That was his primary concern, not money or whatever kind of deal he could make.

Peter: Thank God.

Mariolee

I thought long and hard about, how are we first going to lay eyes on this guy? And I had a lot of help from my editor, Kelly Dixon. I had a shot that you see in the episode, but I intended to use a lot more of it and have Gus basically appear from the background walking to the foreground, and you’d see his entire face. The first time he shows up, he’s busing tables and cleaning tabletops, and I was originally going to let it run in the edit so that he walks right into frame and you see his face very completely. My editor, Kelly, cut it a different way.

When I first saw it, I was like, “What are you doing? You need to see his face.” She said, “I like just hinting at him here, and then having him move through frame, and then you wait a couple minutes more, and then Jimmy is reaching in the trash can, and then you’ve got that great reveal there in the footage where Jimmy jerks his arm out of the trash can and there is Gus Fring. I think that’s your big moment. That’s your million dollar shot. Don’t dilute it with this previous moment.”

I was like, “No, I’m the boss,” and I threw a little tantrum, but then I got over it, and I said, “Wait a minute, Kelly’s right.” I give great credit to her. I love the way he is revealed, and it took a village to make that work.

Wow huge props to Kelly. I thought the way they revealed him in this episode was perfect, and to think that Gilligan was actually against that is insane to me.

Wow huge props to Kelly. I thought the way they revealed him in this episode was perfect, and to think that Gilligan was actually against that is insane to me.

Yep, the way you see him bussing tables in the background while Jimmy is just staring at the backpack was so great.

Gus is such an amazing character.

oatmeal

Banned
Can we talk about Chuck's alien thumb for a second?

LowCMXH.png

He wasn't available for that day of shooting so they brought in Megan Fox to do the hand work.

rekameohs

Banned
Frankly I thought the Mike stuff was pretty weak this episode. The Breaking Bad fanservice show that we all wanted is eating into the excellent Jimmy / Kim / Chuck drama that we didn't know would be as great as it is. That being said, what's there is still good, and getting more play out of such a great show as Breaking Bad is fun, but I wish there was more with the main lead, since we literally know that the whole Gus / Hector subplot cannot intersect with him much at all.

I would say that the Mike slow-burn would've totally been worth the payoff if the marketing didn't shove Gus down our throats before the season, though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Mikes stuff has been my favorite so far, I'd almost not care if he turned into the main character.

[edit]

Also not really seeing how these two episodes were slow when the plot moved along so much. Two episodes in and Saul found out about the tape and walked right into Chucks plan. With mike he found the tracer, Los Pollos Hermanos, we saw Gus and they found out Mike knew about the tracer.

That's a lot of stuff for he first two episodes.

This show is doing bad?
The show is doing fine. The live ratings are down this season, but ratings across the board are down with all of the time-shifting that goes on these days. AMC will continue to renew the show as long as Gilligan & Gould want to make it because of the solid ratings, critical acclaim, awards, and fan base that it's built up. The creators are going to get as much time as they want to finish the series, and most guesses are that they'll do ~5 seasons of BCS.

hydruxo

Another great episode, damn. I think Dj Khaled's immortal words are perfecty adequate (heh) for what happened by the end of the episode: congratulations, you played yourself.

I look forward to seeing how Jimmy (inevitably) gets out of this situation. It should be really interesting.

What's the tune Chuck is humming or whistling at the beginning of the episode? It sounded familiar, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

HardRojo

Holy shit that ending! The Saul Goodman takeover starts now! And man I fucking loved the way they revealed Gus. I was giggling like a little girl when they showed him sweeping out of focus. Goddamn Gilligan you are a brilliant fucker! That was amazing, the whole thing gave me chills.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
First half of the episode was a tad slow. We're getting a lot of these investigative scenes that have almost no dialogue. When they're bunched together, you start to feel the time.

I love the assistant's intro scene. Her telling Jimmy "It's a little crooked..." was so good. And the tape rolling technique that Chuck taught Jimmy being the final straw, never saw that coming. The tape is actually coming into play way earlier than I expected. And Ernie has a pretty nice whip for such a quiet unassuming guy.

That last scene was glorious. Chuck totally played Jimmy, but Jimmy just busting in took him by surprise.

Yeah, and the upward trajectory until the deep fall at the end.

Couple that with the depressed W crashing down from on high. Kim is being dragged down with him. The whole gimme a dollar thing, her playing along with Jimmy's con for Mesa Verde since last season, on top of her already showed penchant to follow along with Jimmy's small time swindling at the hotel bar and the downtown one. Not to mention that the outcome of this case also dictates her own career given her connection, in a way she'll have to break her integrity in order to maintain it. I fear that it's not Kim who destroys Jimmy at the end of this, but Jimmy who destroys Kim by getting her to sink to his level in the course of defending this coming case. Kim will be the one gunned down in Chuck's crossfire as Jimmy watches helplessly, and I think that's what's ultimately gonna put Jimmy over the edge into Saul territory by the end of this run.

And Ernie has a pretty nice whip for such a quiet unassuming guy.

I thought the same thing. Shit, dude's got a bangin car for being on a paralegal's salary.

I'm very curious to see if it loses some magic from Gilligan leaving.

I assume you just mean in the director's chair for these two episodes? Plenty of great episodes across BB and BCS that he wasn't behind the camera for. Let's not forget Ozymandias :p

Agreed on Gilligan for bringing something above and beyond each time he's in there though. A whole season of just him directing would be a dream, but I totally understand why someone wouldn't want to risk a burnout that way, plus as others said collaboration to keep things fresh is a good thing.

I assume you just mean in the director's chair for these two episodes?
Lengthy behind the scenes piece in Variety:

- ‘Better Call Saul’s’ ‘Breaking’ Point: How It’s Gearing Up for Gus Fring
Gould took on the mantle of sole showrunner this season, after Gilligan stepped back mid-run to focus on his HBO limited series about cult leader Jim Jones. But the season still bears Gilligan’s handiwork; he co-wrote the first episode with Gould, and he directed the first two hours.

“Obviously he’s still very much part of the show, but it’s a different experience after having worked together side-by-side for 10 years,” says Gould.

Though this transition was planned since the show’s debut, Gilligan admits he misses being part of the day-to-day. “Stepping away has been kind of tough on me,” he says. “The plan is for me to come back as soon as I’m done [with the HBO series], at least for the final season.”

No one is yet setting a date for that final season; the show is an important one for both the studio and the network. And talks have yet to be settled even for a fourth-season renewal (season three’s greenlight came halfway through season two). “But with every step, every episode, every actor, we move toward an end game,” Gilligan says.

Charlie Collier isn’t concerned: The president of AMC, who also oversaw the series finale of “Breaking Bad,” believes the creative crossover won’t negatively impact “Saul.”

“The show already stands on its own two feet in so many different ways,” says Collier. “And yet what makes it such an impressive needle to be threading is that we all know right down to the very last stitch how exactly it’s going to end. So to not have this incredible new world crossover with the familiar old world wouldn’t be authentic.”

Time is indeed elastic in the hands of these creatives; the events of “Breaking Bad” spanned less than a year, but unspooled over the course of five seasons.
Much more via the link.

riotous

Banned
The show is doing fine. The live ratings are down this season, but ratings across the board are down with all of the time-shifting that goes on these days. AMC will continue to renew the show as long as Gilligan & Gould want to make it because of the solid ratings, critical acclaim, awards, and fan base that it's built up. The creators are going to get as much time as they want to finish the series, and most guesses are that they'll do ~5 seasons of BCS.

Thanks; was waiting for you to reply, couldn't really find anything googling.

RangerX

Banned
Brilliant episode and continues to be the best show of the last few years imo. Man I really am not looking forward to the almost inevitable shit storm Kim is going to get caught up in. She's such a lovable character. Chuck really played Jimmy. He's such a prick. Jimmy looked so broken in that last shot. I really feel for the guy.

I'm just saying, this could have been a good time to pull off a Hermione...
giphy.gif

Of course that can also be seen as assault but hey Fuck Chuck.

”No wonder Rebecca left you! What took her so long?"
Damn I'm sorry but...
giphy.gif

What a great, great episode. Not a super fan of Mike's storyline (Mike is fine but it ties too much into BB and thus is dragged by the far lesser show) - but anything with Kim/Chuck/Jimmy is solid gold.

I have to say I don't think what they are going to put on him is *that bad*. Ok, he broke into his brother apartment, and ruins his desk, but I wouldn't say he is threatening towards Chuck. A bit of property destruction is all. Nothing to really worry him - I guess though it might be enough for him to be disbarred, which I guess is what chuck was going for?

Ploid 3.0

I like how he was using the tape technique his brother taught him in that one scene where he was taking off the painting tape from the wall. This show's attention to the little things is so good.

BB's season 1 to 3 are good but 4 and 5 were amazing, partially also because of Gus Fring. Now that Gus has also started coming to BCS, it's going to be a close call. But even without Gus, BCS also already has a very, very strong core characters with excellent acting. And Kim Wexler is a far better female lead than Skyler.
Nope.
Skyler was amazing and remains so.

What a great, great episode. Not a super fan of Mike's storyline (Mike is fine but it ties too much into BB and thus is dragged by the far lesser show) - but anything with Kim/Chuck/Jimmy is solid gold.

I have to say I don't think what they are going to put on him is *that bad*. Ok, he broke into his brother apartment, and ruins his desk, but I wouldn't say he is threatening towards Chuck. A bit of property destruction is all. Nothing to really worry him - I guess though it might be enough for him to be disbarred, which I guess is what chuck was going for?

Thats kinda interesting because to me most of the Chuck/Kim/Jimmy stuff is a drag and I absolutely love all the Mike stuff, so probably a good thing the show keeps the stuff mixed pretty well. I didn't like episode 1 of this season but loved this episode, but then again Gus was my absolute favorite character on Breaking Bad so... yeah.

Interestingly the show streams now on amazon in 4K, its unfortunately not part of amazon prime so $24.99 for the HD season pass and I'm not sure if they are upscaling a 1080p source into 4k or if they are actually getting 4k input (and if so... how? from where?) but it looks fantastic.

Holy shit that ending! The Saul Goodman takeover starts now! And man I fucking loved the way they revealed Gus. I was giggling like a little girl when they showed him sweeping out of focus. Goddamn Gilligan you are a brilliant fucker! That was amazing, the whole thing gave me chills.

Seriously, him going to jail is a very good reason for a name change.

Also, it explains why he works out of a strip mall.

Also: the previews made it look like Chuck didn't fully understand the consequences of his actions. Is his goal to make Jimmy confess in front of a jury, or does he just want him to "go to his room" for a little while?

zewone

Interestingly the show streams now on amazon in 4K, its unfortunately not part of amazon prime so $24.99 for the HD season pass and I'm not sure if they are upscaling a 1080p source into 4k or if they are actually getting 4k input (and if so... how? from where?) but it looks fantastic.

It's 4K on Netflix as well.

Breaking Bad was one of the first shows on Netflix available in 4K.

I think they've been shooting with a high resolution camera for some time.

Kyzer

Banned

lol seriously

hes even more conniving than jimmy. I actually fully expect him to go rogue and teach jimmy a thing or two about how to con correctly

Seriously, him going to jail is a very good reason for a name change.

Also, it explains why he works out of a strip mall.

I expect Kim to die, and thats why she wasnt in Breaking Bad, and also why Saul has no problem being a fuck ever again

riotous

Banned
I like how he was using the tape technique his brother taught him in that one scene where he was taking off the painting tape from the wall. This show's attention to the little things is so good.

Yeah and I think that's where he came to the realization that his brother didn't just tape him, but played him. He made the connection that his brother magically "got better" and didn't need to live in his tin foil palace right after the incident. The technique he was using led to the eureka moment.

You can see the moment where Chuck mentally blocks out Jimmy's pain because Chuck got the authority back.

Also: I did not think that my opinion of Harry Hamlin could go lower, but it did. He clearly was not okay with this plan, and yet goes along with it because it is what Chuck wants. Guy is a fucking lawyer and he goes along with a revenge plan? And bullshit if Chuck tries to give Jimmy a speech about how he's doing this for Jimmy's own good. This is Chuck "putting Jimmy in his place", pure and simple. He's probably planning to drop all charges if Jimmy agrees to be under his supervision or something.

Top Bottom