• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Saty

#KudosChuck

Jimmy falling to a trap like a noob.
This is BB all over again where viewers defended Walter as the 'good guy' and how he was supporting his family and this and that and how they hated Skyler for trying to get in the way of his drug-dealing.

Not sure why all the secrecy though. If Chuck was biding his time until Jimmy came to steal the tape then why does Harold need to park way far and sneak to the house?
Also lame that Chuck's plan hinged on Ernesto fumbling the player while changing batteries and accidentally playing the tape. Like common. Just have Harold have that talk with Kim?

Sane_Man

#KudosChuck

This is BB all over again where viewers defended Walter as the 'good guy' and how he was supporting his family and this and that and how they hated Skyler for trying to get in the way of his drug-dealing.

Not sure why all the secrecy though. If Chuck was biding his time until Jimmy came to steal the tape then why does Harold need to park way far and sneak to the house?
Also lame that Chuck's plan hinged on Ernesto fumbling the player while changing batteries and accidentally playing the tape. Like common. Just have Harold have that talk with Kim?

1. He wanted to make sure Jimmy didn't see Harold in case it panicked him and he didn't try and steal the tape.

2. If you change the batteries on something it's natural to check that they're good and the device worked. Naturally Ernesto would play the device and he'd paused it at the perfect moment.

GTI Guy

1. He wanted to make sure Jimmy didn't see Harold in case it panicked him and he didn't try and steal the tape.

2. If you change the batteries on something it's natural to check that they're good and the device worked. Naturally Ernesto would play the device and he'd paused it at the perfect moment.

Actually, he probably pressed the play button, on those old style tape recorders it's a manual switch. So he pressed it, flipped it over, had him put in the batteries. Once the batteries were put in, it started playing. I don't think Ernesto had any intention of testing the batteries.

Saty

I mean sure, but even Chuck expected Jimmy to act at night. It seems like a needless complication\overdoing it.

Same for the tape. Why bother to set-up the scenario he did when he easily could have asked Harold to tell Kim and get the same result?

Same for the tape. Why bother to set-up the scenario he did when he easily could have asked Harold to tell Kim and get the same result?

I'm assuming he wanted it to be genuine. Kim's not stupid. She, or Jimmy, might have realized what was happening if Ernesto hadn't given the message. He needed them to know, without them realizing why he needed that.

bYadfTa.jpg

They should really cast Harry Hamlin at some point for maximum confusion.

jesu

I mean sure, but even Chuck expected Jimmy to act at night. It seems like a needless complication\overdoing it.

Hugo didn't agree with this plan.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I like that Harrison is the voice of reason in some ways this season. Trying to get Chuck to step back from that ledge, my friend. I'm sure Jimmy getting over on the firm doesn't sit well with him either, but he's not going on "Officers of the court!" rants.

Saty

Hugo didn't agree with this plan.

Howard is financing the P.I.'s (and following Chuck's instructions), so he definitely agrees with the plan.

I'm assuming he wanted it to be genuine. Kim's not stupid. She, or Jimmy, might have realized what was happening if Ernesto hadn't given the message. He needed them to know, without them realizing why he needed that.

I don't see how it being Ernesto or Howard would change the outcome or make Kim and Jimmy realize anything. It's a moot point. Jimmy was acting in a fit of rage and didn't think it through. He was going to barge into Chuck's house no matter who told Kim.

Blackhead

Redarse
I mean sure, but even Chuck expected Jimmy to act at night. It seems like a needless complicationoverdoing it.

Chuck expected Ernesto to tell Jimmy not Kim; I doubt he wanted her to know. Kim correctly analyzed the implications of the tape and can't up with correct plan of action: DO NOTHING (it's still Chuck's move). But of course Jimmy ignored her advice yet again

I like that Harrison is the voice of reason in some ways this season. Trying to get Chuck to step back from that ledge, my friend. I'm sure Jimmy getting over on the firm doesn't sit well with him either, but he's not going on "Officers of the court!" rants.

It cracks me up at all the stuff Hanzo had to do while Chuck's plan was going on. Seeing him jump the wall was hilarious.

RedStep

Yeah, my loyalties keep flipping on Hogarth. Villain, Ally, Villain, Ally.

I don't even know if I hope that Hoggoth makes it to the BB era. So confused!

KarmaCow

Is that Odenkirk interview on the last page watchable? Title says massive spoiler.

It's a clip from the Tonight Show, I doubt it's seriously a massive spoiler and not a joke. I would watch it to check for you but Jimmy Fallon interviews are annoying to watch.

Mistle

Holy shit.

I only just realized that the woman Jimmy hires to man the phones at his firm is the same woman who works as his assistant as Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad.

Probably already pointed out, but she's so much more lively and energetic in this, in comparison to how she came across in Breaking Bad. Working for Saul must have really destroyed her soul.

haha. i love how long it takes walt to realise she's not talking about the door. and the shot of him crawling in/out. so good.

Saty

Chuck expected Ernesto to tell Jimmy not Kim; I doubt he wanted her to know. Kim correctly analyzed the implications of the tape and can't up with correct plan of action: DO NOTHING (it's still Chuck's move). But of course Jimmy ignored her advice yet again

The point is it doesn't matter. Chuck needed Jimmy to know he got the tape so he could catch him on the act of stealing it. How that info got to Jimmy doesn't matter and it's needless complication to set it up that Ernesto finds out 'accidentally' when he could have used Howard.

Why was Hernando at Chuck's just before Jimmy came round?
He wasn't into what was going on.
Of course he was into what's going on. He came to Chuck because keeping the bodyguards 24\7 was adding up financially. So he *was* paying for them and part of Chuck's plan. Chuck and Howard agreed to keep the private investigators only at night to reduce the cost of this plan.

UrbanRats

#KudosChuck

As someone who was team Skyler in BB, i dont think this situation is comparable.
Skyler was a victim 100%, Walt was a well meaning asshole at best, a monster at worse.

In BCS, both Jimmy and Chuck occupy a much greyer moral space.

nampad

Just watched the episode. I always hated Chuck and hope Jimmy gets to fuck him over hard, worse than the Mesa Verde deal.

Jimmy fell for Chuck's trap like a rookie though, he should have known better. Hoped that Jimmy would have had a better plan to outsmart Chuck again, which would have been more interesting than the ending we got.

The Mike stuff is boring so far.

Naw. Play button was already pressed... he turned it upside down so Ernesto would not see. Once the batteries were plugged in it started playing.

Im sure tape recorders dont work that way but its what I thought of.

duckroll

Caught up on the first two episodes. Did Mike really just leave his car there all taken apart? What an ass! Lol.

But does Gus' people not know that he swapped the bug onto another car to begin with? I don't get why Mike thought the plan wouldn't have any loopholes.

Jimmy is fucking dumb and if he doesn't have his collapse this season it's going to be really draggy. Dude fails at everything!

Veelk

Banned
Caught up on the first two episodes. Did Mike really just leave his car there all taken apart? What an ass! Lol.

But does Gus' people not know that he swapped the bug onto another car to begin with? I don't get why Mike thought the plan wouldn't have any loopholes.

Jimmy is fucking dumb and if he doesn't have his collapse this season it's going to be really draggy. Dude fails at everything!

Both cars were bugged. He left the tracker of Car A in the junkyard where he took it apart, and found the second tracker in Car B.

Then he ordered his own, so that was Tracker C, which is the one he swapped with Tracker B. Tracker A is long gone.

Sunster

Chuck is so.... He seriously doesn't want Jimmy to succeed. Even if slipping Jimmy days never happened and Jimmy never broke a law or scammed anyone I bet he'd be the same insecure Chuck. No wonder his wife left him and he lives in a cave.

duckroll

Oh I didn't catch that both cars were bugged. I guess that makes sense. Somehow I thought he took the cap back with him and placed in his other car and they didn't realize it was swapped. I'm dumb!

Chuck is so.... He seriously doesn't want Jimmy to succeed. Even if slipping Jimmy days never happened and Jimmy never broke a law or scammed anyone I bet he'd be the same insecure Chuck. No wonder his wife left him and he lives in a cave.

I don't agree with this. While what Chuck does is pretty reprehensible from a moral perspective of trust and good faith, I feel that a lot of what Chuck is, is a result of Jimmy being Jimmy. We're not talking about a kid who told a few fibs. He's a career criminal who is a grown man, and Chuck has seen him fall back into that hole his whole life. I believe he genuinely wants to help Jimmy but his idea of "helping" is that at some point if you spare the rod you spoil the child. He feels Jimmy is spoilt and broken, and has to be fixed. It's not that Chuck cannot stand to see Jimmy succeed, it is that he cannot stand to see Jimmy succeed off the back of improper means, because to him that would be the wrong lesson in life. But Jimmy can only find success for himself through improper means because that's the sort of person he is, and that sort of progression fits him best. Chuck cannot accept that, and it's not so much an insecurity as a stubborn mentality of moral high ground. It's also worth noting that Chuck is also literally mentally ill, even if it doesn't affect his cognition.

Chuck might act like an asshole a lot of the time, but that doesn't excuse Jimmy for being what he is. He's not a good person, and he should be responsible for his own actions. Chuck being a dick about it doesn't make Jimmy right, nor should his success in crime be celebrated like an entitlement he has earned. He's a cheater, and while cheaters can get ahead in this world, are we really supposed to feel great for it?

Sunster

Oh I didn't catch that both cars were bugged. I guess that makes sense. Somehow I thought he took the cap back with him and placed in his other car and they didn't realize it was swapped. I'm dumb!

I don't agree with this. While what Chuck does is pretty reprehensible from a moral perspective of trust and good faith, I feel that a lot of what Chuck is, is a result of Jimmy being Jimmy. We're not talking about a kid who told a few fibs. He's a career criminal who is a grown man, and Chuck has seen him fall back into that hole his whole life. I believe he genuinely wants to help Jimmy but his idea of "helping" is that at some point if you spare the rod you spoil the child. He feels Jimmy is spoilt and broken, and has to be fixed. It's not that Chuck cannot stand to see Jimmy succeed, it is that he cannot stand to see Jimmy succeed off the back of improper means, because to him that would be the wrong lesson in life. But Jimmy can only find success for himself through improper means because that's the sort of person he is, and that sort of progression fits him best. Chuck cannot accept that, and it's not so much an insecurity as a stubborn mentality of moral high ground. It's also worth noting that Chuck is also literally mentally ill, even if it doesn't affect his cognition.

Chuck might act like an asshole a lot of the time, but that doesn't excuse Jimmy for being what he is. He's not a good person, and he should be responsible for his own actions. Chuck being a dick about it doesn't make Jimmy right, nor should his success in crime be celebrated like an entitlement he has earned. He's a cheater, and while cheaters can get ahead in this world, are we really supposed to feel great for it?

I agree but it's hard for me to hate Jimmy when it's his show lol. I have to always remind myself that he's a sucky person. I didn't hate Walt until after I completed BB. I can only hate Pablo Escobar while I watch Narcos because he is a legit terrorist.

but I think if Jimmy were legit, the jealousy would be there. Chuck couldn't do his whole superiority routine so I bet he wouldn't even talk to Jimmy.

Trakan

I might agree with you if he didn't lie to Jimmy about his mother on her deathbed. Even if he can't stand the criminal Jimmy has become, you don't lie to your brother about your Mother's last words. Also when Jimmy tried to get legit and get a law degree (albeit from a less credible source) all Chuck did was scoff and look down on him.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
add me in #FUCKCHUCK group too

and hot damn, Gus is fucking smartass. This season is so slow and yet thrilling lol

I agree but it's hard for me to hate Jimmy when it's his show lol. I have to always remind myself that he's a sucky person. I didn't hate Walt until after I completed BB. I can only hate Pablo Escobar while I watch Narcos because he is a legit terrorist.

It's important to remember that Jimmy, every season, compromised his morals further and further.

duckroll

I might agree with you if he didn't lie to Jimmy about his mother on her deathbed. Even if he can't stand the criminal Jimmy has become, you don't lie to your brother about your Mother's last words. Also when Jimmy tried to get legit and get a law degree (albeit from a less credible source) all Chuck did was scoff and look down on him.

But I never said Chuck was a good person or that his attitude didn't have disgusting results. In fact, I said he was morally reprehensible and did not act in good faith. As a family member he is an awful person. What I'm saying is, part of what he is, is a result of who Jimmy is. I disagree with the theory that if Jimmy wasn't a crook he would still hate him. I instead subscribe to the belief that Jimmy being a crook is what "broke" Chuck as a good family member.

He wishes his brother was like him, capable and straight, someone he can be proud of without reservations. His hangup is that he is ashamed of Jimmy, and it's a selfish notion because he sees Jimmy, being family, as an extension of himself, a part of his reputation. Jimmy being the way he is shames Chuck and is something he has to constantly disguise or excuse away.

His problem with Jimmy's law degree is that it's a lame shortcut. Chuck wants people to do it right or not do it at all, especially when he feels what that person does reflects on him. His standard for Jimmy is the standard he sets for himself. It's unreasonable and not helpful, but that's who Chuck is. I don't feel that there is much indication in the characterization of Chuck that he is insecure or jealous of anything Jimmy is. Resentful yes, but for the reasons I described.

Chuck's always had a God Complex, though. It's just 100x easier for him to assert the kind of authority he thinks he has because Jimmy himself is compromised.

dani_dc

Howard is financing the P.I.'s (and following Chuck's instructions), so he definitely agrees with the plan.

I don't think he necessary agrees with the plan, he was just indulging with Chuck since he wants to keep Chuck happy.

Howard doesn't has the strongest of personalities.

duckroll

I don't think he necessary agrees with the plan, he was just indulging with Chuck since he wants to keep Chuck happy.

Howard doesn't has the strongest of personalities.

Remember in Season 1 when everyone thought that Howard was the classic asshole rich guy trying to keep the little guy down, because it was so easy to believe what Jimmy believed? Remember how it felt like he was a cartoon villain out to cheat Chuck and destroy Jimmy's career?

The reality turned out to be so much more disgusting. Howard is probably the most moral guy at HHM, constantly caught between a nonsensical family feud. I honestly feel bad for the guy.

Remember in Season 1 when everyone thought that Howard was the classic asshole rich guy trying to keep the little guy down, because it was so easy to believe what Jimmy believed? Remember how it felt like he was a cartoon villain out to cheat Chuck and destroy Jimmy's career?

The reality turned out to be so much more disgusting. Howard is probably the most moral guy at HHM, constantly caught between a nonsensical family feud. I honestly feel bad for the guy.

Yep, the show is amazing at playing with your expectations.

Top Bottom