• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Plum

Anyone else think that Hamlin tresspassing to get to Chuck's house will get brought back up later on? I mean, for how adamant about Chuck is about not breaking the law it's weird for him to ask someone to do such a thing. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

_Nemo

In my opinion the greatest amplification of Chuck being a fuckbag was in that flashback where he lied to Jimmy about his mom not saying anything just because she called out "Jimmy" instead of his name. That tells so much about his resentment towards Jimmy, and shows what a petty insecure cunt Chuck is.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This show has become shockingly excellent. I liked the first season and the second quite a bit, but this new one's on a whole new level.

This season is to see how slow they can pace this show and still have people watch.

I don't get this. Things have been moving relatively quickly the past two episodes.

Were people expecting Mike to officially be Gus's cleaner by the end of S3E2?

In my opinion the greatest amplification of Chuck being a fuckbag was in that flashback where he lied to Jimmy about his mom not saying anything just because she called out "Jimmy" instead of his name. That tells so much about his resentment towards Jimmy, and shows what a petty insecure cunt Chuck is.

I always thought there were two ways to read that scene:

a) Chuck is jealous that Jimmy is so undeservedly favored by everyone, including his own mother.

b) Chuck is trying to spare Jimmy's guilt after he left the hospital to go get a sandwich, during which time his mother called out his name before dying.

Knowing everything else we know about Chuck, I lean towards a). But still, a bit of that ambiguity is there.

I don't get this. Things have been moving relatively quickly the past two episodes.

Were people expecting Mike to officially be Gus's cleaner by the end of S3E2?

a) Chuck is jealous that Jimmy is so undeservedly favored by everyone, including his own mother.

b) Chuck is trying to spare Jimmy's guilt after he left the hospital to go get a sandwich, during which time his mother called out his name before dying.

Knowing everything else we know about Chuck, I lean towards a). But still, a bit of that ambiguity is there.

Spare Jimmy's feeling my ass. Chuck was stunned hid mother called for Jimmy before dying and hurt by it so he hid it.

Knowing how careful Gus is, he wouldn't risk the guy even whispering anything to him at the table, watched or not. I bet he swept up the transmitter. It's the type of extra carefulness I see him doing everyday regardless of how safe he thinks he is. It's how he can stay in the shadows for as long as he has.

UrbanRats

Kind of disappointing to see Slipping Jimmy be so fucking clumsy in his tailing.
Other than that, that final scene was hard to watch.

Kalor

That was a great episode. Mike's nighttime tailing was good, especially with the number of great looking shots that it had. Jimmys quiet sadness over finding out about the tape along with realising that he was using the tape technique from the last episode made that scene heartbreaking. I wasn't expecting things to escalate this quickly so I'm curious where the series goes from here.

Izuna

Banned
Chuck is essentially a spiteful prick that is the reason why Jimmy can't become the guy he is working hard to be.

Jimmy is like Othello.

#FuckChuck

I don't know if it has been brought up yet or not, but now Jesse' line of "You need a criminal lawyer" has another meaning entirely.

Chuck is essentially a spiteful prick that is the reason why Jimmy can't become the guy he is working hard to be.

Jimmy is like Othello.

fffffffffffffffffffffff

TB14

Decided to wait and watch both episodes back to back last night. Show's still as excellent as ever

Definitely A. Chuck can't stand the thought of people liking Jimmy, because all he can see is the bad in him. We've seen it with their mother, Kim, even his own wife. He believes the only reason anyone does like Jimmy is because they've been conned into it and views it as his duty to protect them by "exposing" Jimmy or keeping him down. To him, everything he's done is right and justifiable

Also, lots of great shots this episode.
dIWY2qw.png
They talked about this shot on the podcast. When they were setting up, the camera moved out of focus and they noticed that it brought up the lights in the background really nicely, so Gilligan had them shoot 30-40 seconds of it. Later, they pulled back into focus for the action in the foreground, then they spliced the two shots together as an effect.

Izuna

Banned
They talked about this shot on the podcast. When they were setting up, the camera moved out of focus and they noticed that it brought up the lights in the background really nicely, so Gilligan had them shoot 30-40 seconds of it. Later, they pulled back into focus for the action in the foreground, then they spliced the two shots together as an effect.

This shot, I swear to god, had me sitting up with my mouth open.

"What the hell is that?"

It was like looking at something from National Geographic.

It makes for a good optical illusion.

Blastoise

Banned

I could tell it was not a natural shot. Very beautiful.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Gotta love those happy lil' accidents.

Daffy Duck

Had strong GTA V vibes from that scene, it was a gorgeous shot.

Ladekabel

I love watching Mike Ehrmanntraut doing Mike Ehrmanntraut shit but the
watching him tailing someone for ten minutes was boring even for the Los Pollos Hernanos reveal. Everything went on way too long.
Otherwise loved the episode. Fuck Chuck.

UrbanRats

Decided to wait and watch both episodes back to back last night. Show's still as excellent as ever

Definitely A. Chuck can't stand the thought of people liking Jimmy, because all he can see is the bad in him. We've seen it with their mother, Kim, even his own wife. He believes the only reason anyone does like Jimmy is because they've been conned into it and views it as his duty to protect them by "exposing" Jimmy or keeping him down. To him, everything he's done is right and justifiable
Chuck is a prick about it, but I would say it also comes from people failing to acknowledge the good in him, while making such a public display of Jimmy's.

Chuck is the ant type of person, and people in his life obviously took that for granted, which sucks.
Paradoxically, Jimmy is one of the few who really would externalize that appreciation if he gave him the chance.

Mike was hired to assassinate that guy but just before he could he heard his car horn going off. When he got back to the car there was something wedged onto the horn to keep it going and a note on his window saying 'dont'. He drives off not making the kill.

edit* ah yes thanks 'Lord of Castamere' I forgot he wasnt hired to kill that guy at the end it was of his own volition.

I believe whats going on with gus and mike now is what will lead to what ever Gus does to ruin Hecktor. will interesting to find out.

Mike was hired to assassinate Tuco Salamanca by Nacho in fear that soon Tuco will fly off the rails and kill Nacho, but Mike changed the plan to get Tuco thrown in jail instead, by getting him to steal from, and fight Mike, while police came. This worked, but Hector Salamanca, Tucos uncle (bell wheelchair guy from Breaking Bad), came to Mike and told him to confess that the gun found at the scene was his, so that Tuco would get off, Mike refused. So later the Cousins from Breaking bad, also nephews of Hector, show up to threaten Mike. He then goes to a sit down with Hector, who threatens his granddaughter, but agrees to Mikes terms. Mike recants his statement that the gun wasn't Tucos, with Jimmys help. Charges are not pressed on Mike, and are dropped or lowered on Tuco. Mike retaliates by disrupting a money transport, but is dismayed to find out that it did nothing except get an innocent killed. Mike decides to kill Hector, either to protect his granddaughter, or to get revenge for the person that died, or anger. It's not really specified from what I remember. Nacho keeps blocking the shot. The driver that he didn't kill in the money transport is murdered. He hears the horn, goes back and finds the 'Don't' note. Begin Season 3.

That's about everything that happened to Mike last season, that's relevant to this season. I doubt the squat cobblers will matter much.

Thanks guys.

Alpende

Oh shit Mike
Oh shit Jimmy

Lots of big things happened in this episode, it felt more like a midseason one than the second.

Also, lots of great shots this episode.

dIWY2qw.png

Here's some cool ones that stood out to me.

Their DP uses DOF beautifully.

I loved that shot. It looks like a miniature.

I loved that shot. It looks like a miniature.

Yeah its a cool technique also used in photography. People might use a tilt shift lens to achieve it. basically when you apply a shallow depth of field to a large scene where it would be hard to produce. It tricks you into thinking its a minature because shallow depth of fields like that are what you associate with smaller things. Its pretty cool. see random google search for an example below
508525463_7cf70b8e6b_b.jpg

Knowing how careful Gus is, he wouldn't risk the guy even whispering anything to him at the table, watched or not. I bet he swept up the transmitter. It's the type of extra carefulness I see him doing everyday regardless of how safe he thinks he is. It's how he can stay in the shadows for as long as he has.

No, Gus totally swept it up. Notice how the transmitter didn't move until Victor left Pollos with it. Gus had it and made Victor take it to take Mike away from Pollos.

The transmitter was delivered to Los Pollos the first time Mike was watching it (after the night of tailing the guy).

Mike sent Jimmy to find out what else was in the bag.

Lothar

Banned
Oh wow I'd forgotten all about this. Amazing. The contrast between the BCS and BB Francescas is so good.

Great actress. I love these shows.

I wonder if Francesca is the only one in the series of Breaking Bad to laugh at Walt's tough guy routine.

"But you know where he is, don't you? I need a number." - In Walt voice
*laughs*

Even at the end of the show, Walt still has Saul scared. (Until he starts coughing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM_5_vQ7nek

Top Bottom