• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

bluethree

And just like the creators of Better Call Saul have crafted some incredible film about Jimmy's life despite that life never having existed in any way shape or form during the production of Breaking Bad, I'm sure that the creators of Better Call Saul can think of a thousand different ways for Kim and Chuck to exist in the Breaking Bad timeline.

Yep, I'm amazed (though not surprised, given the talent involved) that they've managed to create such a compelling drama about a joke character in the original series who they didn't put much thought into at first.

Here's a hint: When Breaking Bad was on the air, Kim didn't exist. Literally no one on earth had any idea whatsoever that someone named Kim Wexler was around, or had anything to do with Saul. Saul also did not know who Kim was or whether she ever existed.

That's because Kim is a fictional character, just like Saul / Jimmy.

And just like the creators of Better Call Saul have crafted some incredible film about Jimmy's life despite that life never having existed in any way shape or form during the production of Breaking Bad, I'm sure that the creators of Better Call Saul can think of a thousand different ways for Kim and Chuck to exist in the Breaking Bad timeline.

Maybe one or both or neither is dead. But I'd be pretty disappointed if that's the case. Seems like a pretty boring way for things to go.

Oh cool the most obvious reason.

Maybe people want to discuss this as a plot device instead of resorting to the obvious.

Clydefrog

Jimmy did the same thing to Chuck in court that Chuck's ex did in the dinner scene, lol. Dat hidden phone.

McKean was amazing in this ep

rekameohs

Banned
What happens to Kim is she opens a laser tag arena, you may remember it
The Laser Tag owner that Saul tries to push on Walt is "Danny".

Daniel_Wormald_Cobbler.jpg

This guy's name is "Daniel Wormald". Believe.

I just want some more Mark Proksch in this show.

Frost_Ace

I have to say the Huell bit kind of reminded me of Ace Attorney, which is kinda what I wanted this show to be like.

I need moar trial episodes.

Zomba13

My thoughts on how stuff will end up is that Kim just leaves Jimmy and all his law bending and chicanery because he either goes too far or just doesn't really stay straight and she will then end up bumping into Jimmy/Saul/whatever his name is now in the present.

Chuck is totally going to die though, and Jimmy will feel super guilty about it and maybe end up doubling down on the dirty law practices thinking it's all he's ever good for.

Watching this episode again made me realize something. When Chuck said "it's one year after Magna Carta!!", he had the address wrong afterall. It's 1261, not 1216. I wonder if Howard will correct him in the next episode.

numble

Watching this episode again made me realize something. When Chuck said "it's one year after Magna Carta!!", he had the address wrong afterall. It's 1261, not 1216. I wonder if Howard will correct him in the next episode.

He is saying he didn't read the files wrong, they all said 1216, so that is why the application is for 1216. If he made a mistake/typo, it would be because the files all said 1261 but he accidentally wrote 1216 because he was being careless.

Farmboy

But she doesn't even get mentioned in BB and Saul doesn't try to reconnect with her. Not even a phone call. Seems pretty unrealistic imo.

They addressed this in Talking Bad, with Vince Gillian suggesting that since you never see Saul go home in BB, who knows? Kim might be waiting there.

It's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, and I don't think anyone really believes Saul and Kim will be a couple in BB (and in response Chris Hardwicke says he'd prefer the George Lucas method of inserting Kim into BB digitally). But it certainly suggests that 'character x doesn't appear in BB and must therefore be dead' isn't something the showrunners believe or adhere to.

_Rob_

I do wonder whether now Chuck will realise his issue is mental and not physical, perhaps that will lead him to want to mend things with Jimmy? Personally though, I feel they're beyond that point now, Jimmy could perhaps forgive but I don't think Chuck has that ability.

numble

I just realized we're just at episode 5, there's still so much story left to tell.

[edit]

Is it true that when Chuck goes on his rant and he says he knew the number, that he actually says the number Jimmy wrote down, and not the real address?

Of course his point is it is the number that Jimmy wrote down.

The con is that the file said 1261 all along, but he typed 1216 on the application because he was being careless. Chuck is claiming that he typed 1216 on the application because that is what the file said.

Is it true that when Chuck goes on his rant and he says he knew the number, that he actually says the number Jimmy wrote down, and not the real address?

Well he's arguing that all the documents said the wrong number because Jimmy switched them. He's arguing that it wasn't a mistake, but rather he was going off doctored documents.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'll have to re-watch the scene again but the post I read made it seem like Chuck was so off-balance during his rant that he said the wrong number.

He is saying he didn't read the files wrong, they all said 1216, so that is why the application is for 1216. If he made a mistake/typo, it would be because the files all said 1261 but he accidentally wrote 1216 because he was being careless.

I don't think Chuck would ever admit to making a mistake. Plus he's not the type to be careless, which is why he believed Jimmy forged the documents in the first place.

Here's what Chuck said in his meltdown:
I knew he swapped those numbers. I knew it was 1216. One after Magna Carta, as if I could ever make such a mistake. Never! Never!

To me, it sounds like he believes 1216 is the correct number when it is not.

numble

I don't think Chuck would ever admit to making a mistake. Plus he's not the type to be careless, which is why he believed Jimmy forged the documents in the first place.

He believes 1216 is the number that was in the file, and he is correct because Jimmy changed it to 1216. If he says he knew the file said 1261, but he wrote 1216 anyway, that would mean he admitted to making a mistake.

rekameohs

Banned
I just realized we're just at episode 5, there's still so much story left to tell.

[edit]

Yes, Chuck says 1216; Jimmy changed it to 1216 when it is actually 1261. Chuck knew that the document said 1216 (i.e. that Jimmy changed it from the correct number) when he wrote the address for the hearing from that. Because of the Magna Carta thing, he knows the document didn't say 1261. It's not like Chuck is wrong.

Veelk

Banned

No, he means that he knew it was 1216 on the paperwork, which is to say he correctly referenced the address as was written and didn't make a typo. Numbles explanation is correct, he's just saying it weird because he's very flustered at the moment.

Think about it like this: Why would he believe that it's 1216 when Jimmy already admitted that he switched 1261 to 1216?

pieface

I'm currently rewatching BB and have just been introduced to Saul and it's..... weird.

Seeing how his character ends up after knowing him from BCS is just plain strange, they're two very different people.

TM94

Man the flashback at the start of this episode is the first time I've felt sorry for Chuck.

Having had struggles with mental health in the past and present, I know what it's like to just hide away and pretend everything's fine in front of your friends and family. And also not tell them the truth when it's clear you're struggling.

Amazing episode.

I'm currently rewatching BB and have just been introduced to Saul and it's..... weird.

Seeing how his character ends up after knowing him from BCS is just plain strange, they're two very different people.

Yeah, in BB he is basically a funny side character. He starts looking more like Jimmy in the very last season, but with all the character development In BCS I have a hard time thinking of them as the same person at this point.

I swear I saw that beginning flashback from season 1 or 2 before. I was convinced I was watching an older ep, esp when I saw Kim in the hall with those clients.

Anyway, I figured out I was watching the correct episode and damn what a show.

pigeon

Banned

I was thinking the same thing. Jimmy has a long way to go before becoming the guy who casually says "why not just kill him in prison?"

Daffy Duck

I swear I saw that beginning flashback from season 1 or 2 before. I was convinced I was watching an older ep, esp when I saw Kim in the hall with those clients.

Anyway, I figured out I was watching the correct episode and damn what a show.

Hahahah, you too huh?

Both me and my GF did the exact same thing, I even fast forwarded to make sure I wasn't watching an old episode by mistake.

Lothar

Banned

They still have so far to go to get Jimmy to Saul where he's suggesting that Badger be murdered in the 1st episode.

This is why it's a strong possibility that Kim dies. Jimmy has to get a lot colder.

Podcast highlights from this week's installment:

- The majority of the episode is in the courtroom, so they went to great lengths in terms of camera angles and lighting to make it a more vibrant, diverse location. It's rather plain at face value, so they had to use some other techniques to spice it up and keep it interesting. They tried to clearly delineate what time of day it was from the light, and they used three cameras in most scenes (particularly the end) to capture everything from the actors. There isn't a lot of camera movement aside from pulling in on Chuck's face during his rant at the end.
- The intro scene with the flashback dinner at Chuck's was primarily lit with candlelight. They used the new Panasonic camera again (previously used on the night time scenes during the first two episodes) to capture the dark scenes.
- They switched techniques during Chuck's breakdown in the kitchen, and they used a hand cranked film camera here. I think it's the first time they've shot on film for BCS. They used the hand crank so that they could shoot some images of Chuck and the hand crank it in reverse to add a double or triple image of him freaking out on top of it. If you watch the sequence again, there's images of him ghosted over the main image during his episode. You can even see him throw the phone in a faint image before he throws the phone.
- They noted that they've used a lot of techniques over the last three seasons to portray Chuck's episodes (multiple images here, Go Pro cameras, etc...) and that they'll let the director make decisions about how to do it.
- There is something in the episode titles this season, but they said it's not a spoiler to mention it. I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that. They constantly make fun of themselves for the "Frings Back" from last season (noting that it was a bad idea and far too easy to solve in the internet age), and they said they'll never do anything like that again.
- Odenkirk has very little dialog in this episode until he cross examines Chuck. They were impressed with his ability to work mostly in reactions since he's typically a big talker on the show.

Paraphrased a few things best I could.

- Warming Glow: The Movie That Inspired The ‘Best Episode Ever’ Of ‘Better Call Saul’
- AMC Q&A: Rhea Seehorn (Kim Wexler)
Q: Last season, Kim wanted to know as little as possible about Jimmy‘s dealings with Chuck. Why do you think she decides to go all-in on helping Jimmy this season?

A: It isn’t that there’s no conviction in her saying “I don’t want any part of that” before. It’s that the elements keep moving. One is that she’s now complicit. [She’s] not only complicit in keeping Mesa Verde — because she could have protected Jimmy, but still recused herself of the case and not taken the check — but she’s keeping it for her own ambitions as well. That is changing the way she’s looking at not just any specific dealings with Chuck, but also her vision of “Does moral and immoral actually equal the same thing as legal and illegal?” They don’t. They have no place in the court room, but I think that’s something that’s very hard for Kim to grapple with. You could argue that she deserves to keep Mesa Verde, but there is no “deserve” in a court of law.

In addition, another moving part is her love and respect and care and concern for Jimmy, but now it’s to protect both of them. I think the third moving part is the way she sees there’s no more black and white… I think Kim has had her eyes opened to what a terrible person [Chuck] is. He is absolutely overcome by petty resentment, jealousy, ego and self-righteousness. [When] we see Kim stand up to him in Season 2… [Chuck’s] self-righteousness… and the lengths he’s willing to go to take people down and act god-like in the world sets her off. She doesn’t feel as guilty as maybe she once would have about making this man have to face his consequences as well.
Q: Kim and Hamlin have had a conflicted relationship. What was it like to get him in Kim’s crosshairs on the witness stand?

A: So much fun! Patrick Fabian and I adore each other, and we love doing scenes together. We knew that was a wonderful moment. [Hamlin] takes it quite personally that she left, and she takes it quite personally that he knocked her down to doc review when she was deserving of a case. They’re not talking about it, but there did seem to be – at least at one time – a very real respect for each other, if not admiration. So, where is that?

Patrick and I had some great talks when we were rehearsing that scene. We talked about the idea that they both still feel they are in the right. They both have valid points about why they think the other person sold out or went down the wrong path. Hamlin’s looking at Kim thinking, “I thought you were much smarter and better than to hitch your wagon to someone like Jimmy.” And she’s looking at him thinking, “How about you in your continuing charade of not acting like you have an unsound person at the head of your company?” He’s covering for Chuck left and right. Kim is aware that to some extent Hamlin can no longer pretend that he doesn’t know Chuck’s personal vendetta against Jimmy clouds his judgment about what to do about Jimmy. But [Kim and Hamlin] would never be caught looking emotional or unprepared or like they’re having a personal argument in front of these judges and lawyers. Everything is subtext and we had so much fun getting to have that moment.
More via the link.

Top Bottom