• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just gonna go ahead and guess that Kim's look was not one of pleasant surprise. All you dudes out there, if you've seen that look before you'll never forget it. It usually comes before a breakup. It's a mix of disappointment and disgust, who-are-you-even and what-was-i-thinking.

I've seen that look. I think we've seen the seeds for Kim's departure ... which has me rethinking Saul's/Gene's ending in Omaha.

SiteSeer

Just gonna go ahead and guess that Kim's look was not one of pleasant surprise. All you dudes out there, if you've seen that look before you'll never forget it. It usually comes before a breakup. It's a mix of disappointment and disgust, who-are-you-even and what-was-i-thinking.

I've seen that look. I think we've seen the seeds for Kim's departure ... which has me rethinking Saul's/Gene's ending in Omaha.

i'm gonna go 180 and say she liked what she saw. she couldn't take her eyes off the tv, commented that he had a lot of energy. jimmy played it off like whatever i'm-gonna-sip-my-beer, but she was digging it. i don't know how they break up but its not because its saul.

Lothar

Banned

Actually I think she was turned on.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

She's fine with him breaking the law but will leave because he's energetic in a commercial? I don't see it.

Veelk

Banned
i'm gonna go 180 and say she liked what she saw. she couldn't take her eyes off the tv, commented that he had a lot of energy. jimmy played it off like whatever i'm-gonna-sip-my-beer, but she was digging it. i don't know how they break up but its not because its saul.

I think it's too early to start speculating on what will drive them apart since they currently are good to each other and we don't know the future status of their relationship. But this...

giphy.gif

...is not an "I dig it" face.

Einchy

I think that's more of a 'you look like a damn fool and now I have to pretend to like it' face.

[edit]

Jimmy knew she wasn't going to like it, that's why he was so embarrassed to show her.

Yeah, Kim was honestly taken off-guard, but I think more due to the name change than anything. I think the "that guy has a lot of energy" comment was positive, though, as in "I'd like to see more of that from you".

Veelk

Banned
What in that video would make her want to leave him after all the legally and morally questionable things he has done so far?

No one said anything about her leaving him over the tape.

I honestly don't see whats so wrong with the tape that it bothers her so much. But I can read basic body language. And it can't be an embarassment issue because they're close enough that she would laugh with him at his silliness if that were the case. Like, he made a bad commercial, why would either of them give a shit.

So, I don't know why, but whatever it is, she looks straight up uncomfortable.

Damaniel

Banned
Remember in Breaking Bad when Crazy 8, tied up in the basement, told Walt that his father/uncle was the one from the crazy furniture commercials? Were those made through Saul?

Probably not. Walt said he remembered them from back when he bought a bassinet for Walt Jr, which would have been years before any of the BCS timeline.

Einchy

No one said anything about her leaving him over the tape.

Which is the person I was replying to.

KarmaCow

What in that video would make her want to leave him after all the legally and morally questionable things he has done so far?

It's nothing specific to that video but contrast it to the closing statement she gave at the beginning of the episode. Saul Goodman is not that person.

Veelk

Banned
Which is the person I was replying to.

I guess, though even the person your quoting says it's the seeds for Kim's departure rather than the cause of. I mean, yeah, he mentions it's the look that usually comes before the break up, but I thought he was just saying that was the look of Kim just having a massive doubt introduced in her mind.

But yeah, I still don't really see what she finds in that tape so objectionable.

Einchy

It's nothing specific to that video but contrast it to the closing statement she gave at the beginning of the episode. Saul Goodman is not that person.

How exactly does she know what Saul will turn out to be from that commercial? Unless she saw Breaking Bad, there's nothing about Jimmy being "energetic" that would lead her to believe he will one day be helping out the Cartel and other criminal organizations.

And that speech had a hint of BS to it and both Kim and Jimmy know it, while she does believe he is a good person at heart, she made him sound like a "saint", which they joke about.

KarmaCow

How exactly does she know what Saul will turn out to be from that commercial? Unless she saw Breaking Bad, there's nothing about Jimmy being "energetic" that would lead her to believe he will one day be helping out the Cartel and other criminal organizations.

And that speech had a hint of BS to it and both Kim and Jimmy know it, while she does believe he is a good person at heart, she made him sound like a "saint", which they joke about.

I don't think that reaction was Kim making plans to get out right then and there but rather she's worried about what could happen since he managed to slip into that persona so quickly. I doubt she expects the full extent what Jimmy turns into but she knows what he's done before this and how much he enjoys pulling off scams. Despite this, she also believes that he capable of more than that. So yea, the closing statement is an exaggeration but it's based on something she believes to be true, what Jimmy could be.

edit: maybe I'm reading too much into that but reaction is definitely of dismay, so this is what I extrapolate from that

Veelk

Banned
The thing is, if the way he preyed on the sympathy didn't phase her for the Sandpiper commercial or his masquerading heroism with the billboard incident, why would him pulling a salesman routine over some commercial airtime set off alarm bells.

It's just an odd character moment and I'm not sure why it happened like that.

DeathPeak

Can we assume the playground that Mike is going to help build is the same playground he watches his grand daughter play at in Breaking Bad?

I figured the gears were turning in her head to somehow use "Saul Goodman" as a loophole out of the year suspension.
This was my read of it too. Almost like the hesitation in her face was indicative of doubt that she'd even consider it? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is the one to get this rolling

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lydia! Didn't expect to see her again.

There must be some major film nerds on the writing staff. Figured that since Season 1 with all the movie references Jimmy made. But then they heap on all the editing and filming jokes they put in whenever Jimmy talks about his commercials. I love it.

I've suspected for awhile that Hector's stroke would come into play in a big way, and not be 100% natural. Either someone would exasperate it or outright cause it. It wouldn't even be that hard to do now that Nacho knows Hector is sick. He just has to get him really worked up (which isn't hard) and keep his pills away, or replace them with sugar.

Rymuth

My LOL-worthy moment came from hearing Tuco being, well, Tuco in prison. My sympathy to the guards and inmates. He's not trapped in there with them, they're the ones trapped in there with him!

Hamlin is spineles. He's a complete tool. I have no doubt that he considers himself Chuck's friend, but he's also a pushover.

He's not spineless. Everything he does is for the wellbeing of the firm. He only cares Chuck enough to protect the firm. We don't really know how he truly feels about Chuck as he always hide his emotions.

Wow didn't expect to see Lydia again. I read that it's only a cameo and she will not appear in future episodes this season.

I'm not sure how Chuck's arc will continue now. He calling his doctor from S1 seems like he's accepted his mental illness and is trying to look for help, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just part of his elaborate revenge plan against Jimmy.

Star wipe is the best wipes.

Einchy

I've not disliked Hamlin ever since we found out it was Chuck who was fucking over Jimmy. Dude is A-OK in my book.

He's not spineless. Everything he does is for the wellbeing of the firm. He only cares Chuck enough to protect the firm. We don't really know how he truly feels about Chuck as he always hide his emotions.
I think this is overly harsh. Given how Chuck's meltdown on the stand was bound to get out and hurt HHM's reputation, I was fully expecting Howard to begin the process of forcing Chuck into retirement in that visit.

duckroll

Wow. That ending. I wasn't expecting that at all. It's so low key but totally naturally and fit perfectly. The showrunners really know how to subvert expectations and deliver the key moments in a satisfying but unexpected way.

But at the same time, while that was handled masterfully, Gus continues to be typical Breaking Bad Zero on-the-nose shit. The laundromat? It was "neat", but so unnecessary. Pure fanservice with little effort imo.

I teared up at the Mike scene though. Something about it really hit me. Mike is a guy whose only reason to live on is to see his daughter-in-law and grand daughter happy. He's old, he has had enough of life mostly, but he wants to do all he can for them. I think that really informs his change from a slightly morally righteous man to a full out mob fixer. Because he'll do anything for them, and his own sense of justice, integrity, or honor means nothing in the end if it means they can be happy when he's gone. :(

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Was it just me or Kim actually looked horney as hell after watching that commercial lamo

There must be some major film nerds on the writing staff. Figured that since Season 1 with all the movie references Jimmy made. But then they heap on all the editing and filming jokes they put in whenever Jimmy talks about his commercials. I love it.

Yeah, on the podcast they always talk about how they love writing the commercial gang and how their scenes are full of subtle "inside baseball" kind of humor.

For example, in the second season when they make the infamous Davis and Main spot at the old lady's house, Jimmy wants a cheesy pan in shot and the kid with glasses tells him there's not enough room. In the final commercial Jimmy apparently gets what he wants by mounting the camera on her stair lift. On the podcast they talk about how this probably goes over most viewers heads, but anyone in show business would probably spot it and get a chuckle out of it right away.

IronRinn

Remember in Breaking Bad when Crazy 8, tied up in the basement, told Walt that his father/uncle was the one from the crazy furniture commercials? Were those made through Saul?
Woooooow, I did not remember that at all. Nice catch.

Does anyone else get those creepy miracle water commercials from the fraudulent televangelist guy while watch BCS?
Yep. Even after James Randi exposed him, Peter Popoff managed to come back. More miraculous then the water, for sure.

BunnyBear

Jimmy's line about the producer never having seen so many star wipes in a row was fucking hilarious. One of my favourites.

Great episode. The show is about to pump the gas pedal now.

Top Bottom