• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

I don't remember BB terribly well, but I felt like Gale was a relatively new hire at that point. Unless it takes five years to build the lab.

Amazing episode as always.

Another possible BB reference, at the carpet store, they showed a crazy bowling pin carpet. was that the one used in the arcade Saul tried to get Walter to invest in? It seemed odd that they framed the shot to show the crazy carpet.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there's some history between the two of them. Gale received a scholarship from Gus, and I'm guessing hiring somebody to cook meth isn't a last minute decision.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I'm sure there's some history between the two of them. Gale received a scholarship from Gus, and I'm guessing hiring somebody to cook meth isn't a last minute decision.

Right now he probably has an idea for how he wants to do it. It takes time though he needs to make the basement, by the property, and finish the Hector business.

SpaceWolf

Banned
now that Jimmy is becoming Saul, he will slowly start revealing his darkside (hinted by Chuck's ex).

Remember when the first season literally ended with Jimmy walking away from a tremendous law opportunity, shortly after announcing he was never going to let his conscience get in the way again, before driving off to the tune of Smoking Purple, essentially implying he had finally made a conscious choice to become Saul...only for the writers to immediately reverse the decision and give us two more seasons of Jimmy?

Fun times.

riotous

Banned
Isn't Jesse like, 14 at this point in time?

Having Aaron Paul show up outside of the post-BB flashbacks would be absurd.

No; he'd have been 18 when the show started. We are at least a year or 2 in to the story. He's out of high school and likely dealing already.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I kinda hope we don't see Jesse or Walt.

Yeah, I get how a lot of these characters already had fairly natural connections to each other before Breaking Bad, but a character like Jesse or Hank showing up would give me Baby Boba Fett prequel vibes. It would just feel too forced and fan servicey to me.

BCS has taken place before and after breaking bad, so if done well I don't see why it can't take place during the timeline of BB too, as a kind of extra insight into the events of that time. I don't see any point in them bumping into walt while he's still in repressed science teacher mode though I agree. I wouldn't really want to see Jesse in "how do you do, fellow kids" gear either in the BCS timeline either I suppose.

NotLiquid

Anyone else find that shot of Gus talking to Tyrus on the phone to be fucking amazing?

The lighting in that shot brought forth Gus' scheming intimidation. He wasn't emoting but you could tell he was pissed. That was shot like a classic Breaking Bad moment where you couldn't tell what was going on in the guy's head.

Wow what was up with all those Breaking Bad characters and callbacks, seemed way overboard

It plays up people's nostalgia. To me it takes me out of the show. Too many call backs to Breaking Bad.

I wish they'd keep it more natural feeling, but it always feels shoehorned in.
I don't get these complaints. They aren't callbacks or nostalgia, this show is a prequel. In BB, Walt and Jesse were the new players entering into a world that was already a well-oiled machine so if we are seeing the story of Saul and Mike before Walt, it makes sense that all these characters would be present. It wouldn't make sense if we DIDN'T see all these characters in a pre-Walt state.

Lothar

Banned

I hope we do. In fact, I think we must. They're really not something that could be completely skipped over. How awkward do you think that would be for people only watching BCS? Everything is going fine, and then bam, next episode or scene, Saul is now Gene and has a new life?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope we do. In fact, I think we must. They're really not something that could be completely skipped over. How awkward do you think that would be for people only watching BCS? Everything is going fine, and then bam, next episode or scene, Saul is now Gene and has a new life?

You would still need to skip over everything unless Better Call Saul becomes the show that's happening next to Breaking Bad, which would be pretty shitty. Saul has to explain why he is on the run and hiding but we don't need Walter and Jesse to be there for that to happen.

-griffy-

Banned
Thinking about this, I'd be really damn curious to see Howard, Chuck and Kim's reaction in the immediate aftermath of Breaking Bad's conclusion, as Saul disappears from the face of the earth as a fugitive.

I could see them ending a season with Walt and Jesse connecting with Saul, and then picking up the next season jumped to post-Breaking Bad, with a news report recapping the events or something similar.

MrBadger

I think that's more likely and less confusing than them retelling the entirety of Breaking Bad from Saul's perspective. I bet we'll get a time skip at some point.

Lothar

Banned
You would still need to skip over everything unless Better Call Saul becomes the show that's happening next to Breaking Bad, which would be pretty shitty. Saul has to explain why he is on the run and hiding but we don't need Walter and Jesse to be there for that to happen.

*Saul faces the camera*
"I bet you're wondering how I ended up like this."

I think it would be pretty neat to see BCS fill in some of the gaps on BB. And it would be very uncharacteristic of the show not to show something that both would be interesting to see and that the fans would really want to see. Look at how they're clearly enjoying bringing back past BB characters. If you can't tell that Walt and Jesse will be the main event of the cameos...

Einchy

*Saul faces the camera*
"I bet you're wondering how I ended up like this."

I think it would be pretty neat to see BCS fill in some of the gaps on BB. And it would be very uncharacteristic of the show not to show something that both would be interesting to see and that the fans would really want to see. Look at how they're clearly enjoying bringing back past BB characters. If you can't tell that Walt and Jesse will be the main event of the cameos...

Sometimes it's better to serve the story and not the fans.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thinking about this, I'd be really damn curious to see Howard, Chuck and Kim's reaction in the immediate aftermath of Breaking Bad's conclusion, as Saul disappears from the face of the earth as a fugitive.

I could see them ending a season with Walt and Jesse connecting with Saul, and then picking up the next season jumped to post-Breaking Bad, with a news report recapping the events or something similar.

That would be pretty interesting. Assuming they're all still around though.

Season 4 will reveal that Kim was actually there with Saul for the entirety of Breaking Bad, she was just always hovering barely out of camera frame and they cut the scenes right before she talked

bluethree

Honestly; I got pretty hype seeing Tyrus and Lydia again. If that makes me dumb or overly susceptible to fanservice, then so be it. All the appearances make sense anyway.

Yeah it's clearly fanservice, but it's not done just for its own sake. It makes sense within the narrative and doesn't hurt the integrity of the story at all.

Einchy

What would be the harm in showing it though?

Because it would structurally be really odd.

Do we see the same scenes from Breaking Bad all over again, and then instead of following Walt, we just stay with Saul? Or does he just talk about those scenes to other characters? Do we see new scenes with them that, for whatever reason, we didn't see in Breaking Bad?

At that point it's no longer Jimmy/Saul's story but Walt's. Everything he does has to be centered around Walt just for the next scene that they talk to each other.

BCS works so well because it works so well by itself.

Top Bottom