• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Lydia! It's only a shame we won't get to see her die in this show.

Possibly my most hated character in the BB universe. There are worse people, but not a lot worse.

Brandwin

Why did Nacho stand over the pill? Is he going to try and poison Hector? Turn his back on him since he is trying to force his dad into the business?

Does anyone else get those creepy miracle water commercials from the fraudulent televangelist guy while watch BCS?

Yes! Peter Popoff. I had not seen that nut in years. I did buy some of the water just to be on the safe side. Hopefully I get a check in the mail soon.

Dark_castle

giphy.gif

This will get some use during E3.

Ubisoft conference here we go!

NotLiquid

Honestly that commercial just reaffirms why Jimmy probably should've pursued a job in advertising. He's a great lawyer but it almost feels like his interests lie more in marketing. I'm not sure why no one's brought this up during the entire series, although I guess at this point other than just the advantage of his liberal exploitation of the law his main motive moved from "I wanna make Chuck proud" to "I wanna make Chuck annoyed".

zewone

Wow what was up with all those Breaking Bad characters and callbacks, seemed way overboard
It plays up people's nostalgia. To me it takes me out of the show. Too many call backs to Breaking Bad.

I wish they'd keep it more natural feeling, but it always feels shoehorned in.

TVexperto

It plays up people's nostalgia. To me it takes me out of the show. Too many call backs to Breaking Bad.

I agree, the reviewer of AVclub described it perfectly:

That’s more fan service than we’ve gotten on this show in a long time, maybe ever. And the dump feels more like ticking boxes than we’re used to from BCS. It’s especially jarring given that Huell’s introduction last week barely rippled the surface of “Chicanery” —a perfect entry. The trick in a prequel series like this is to drop in the elements that lead us toward the predetermined outcome without pulling us out of our investment in the new stories and characters, the ones this series is about. Admittedly, that’s a high degree of difficulty. You’re going to splash some of those dives.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm glad they undersold the Saul reveal.

Doing the "It's all good man" and the wheels turning in his head moment would have been cheese.

Edit

Agree about the BB callbacks. They're distracting. Gus sitting back to reveal Lydia, a character anyone who didn't watch BB would be like "the fuck was that?"

It's the unfortunate reality of writing a prequel I guess.

Doing the "It's all good man" and the wheels turning in his head moment would have been cheese.

Edit

Agree about the BB callbacks. They're distracting. Gus sitting back to reveal Lydia, a character anyone who didn't watch BB would be like "the fuck was that?"

I have the opposite reaction. For me, it gets me excited with anticipation for how things will play out and what we will learn about these relationships and characters. And in general I like the breaking bad world, so I like the parts that are about fleshing out that world as much as I am enjoying following Jimmy and Kim and Chuck.

And for someone who doesn't know breaking bad, it would just be, for now, the introduction of a new supporting character. Nothing that would rise to the level of outright confusion or bewilderment as you describe it. :)

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Why did Nacho stand over the pill? Is he going to try and poison Hector? Turn his back on him since he is trying to force his dad into the business?

Yes! Peter Popoff. I had not seen that nut in years. I did buy some of the water just to be on the safe side. Hopefully I get a check in the mail soon.

Maybe find out what type of pill it is. Realizing it is medicine maybe switching it out with bullshit. Making his condition faster and what it is like in BB.

Waiting for the talk about chili pepper in meth. That is when I go oh shit.

I take the callback like so: After last week, this was bound to be a slower episode, setting up the next phase of things. Those episodes may have some nice moments, but they aren't meaty. Doing a couple of BB references in the episode is a way to give it a little more oomph for the fans.

Besides, other than the Lydia/laundry sequence, what was gratuitous? We've already seen Krazy-8, and he's a vital part here (plus, I always forget that he's the guy in breaking bad, since I've never rewatched it and that was Season 1). Gus setting up the laundry is likely to kick off the split between him and the cartel, so that's significant-- and it also parallels Hector setting up his own new front. The two bosses planning their next steps.

Altazor

Solid episode but I felt this was the first time an episode felt overtly "fanservice-y" during this season. It was like "hey, remember Tyrus? Hey, remember the Laundromat? Hey, remember Lydia? Pepperidge Farm remembers!"

As for the ending... I can't quite read the expression on Kim's face. I don't think it's entirely positive, however. I mean, compare it to her expression when she saw "Gimme Jimmy!" at the end of last season - she was beaming there. Now... I dunno. Maybe she feels there's something wrong but she can't quite say what. And her "that guy has a lot of energy" is the typical "I have nothing positive to say but I have to, so let's make up something quick!" sort of line people use.

Saganator

I think Kim's reaction to the commercial was good. I got the notion that her gears started turning in her head, she's gonna come up with something for Saul Goodman. I wouldn't be surprised if Kim encourages Jimmy to go full on Saul Goodman to corner the cheap sleezy lawyer market.

I think Kim's reaction to the commercial was good. I got the notion that her gears started turning in her head, she's gonna come up with something for Saul Goodman. I wouldn't be surprised if Kim encourages Jimmy to go full on Saul Goodman to corner the cheap sleezy lawyer market.
I read it as Kim thinking "who have I got myself attached to? Were Rebecca and Chuck right?" But I can see it being something else, too.

Moff

the moment he said he had to make a new commercial I knew we'd witness the birth of saul goodmann

very fillery episode, though, not a lot happened

If that were the case, it'd have been earlier in the season, and/or in promos.
Yeah, I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from to be honest. It completely makes sense that Tyrus would be working for Gus, as would Victor. And in fact, Tyrus was introduced 2 episodes ago by voice. And in none of those scenes do they play it up like it's a big deal or anything. And the same thing goes for Lydia and the laundromat. Lydia would be the person that he works through to get the location, because as we know they have been working together for sometime in the breaking bad series. It also gives the show a location other than the restaurant for things to happen with Gus. It all works very well and sensibly.

The only instance in the series that has felt too fan servicy to me was the twins, and even then they had a role to play .

barik

Honestly; I got pretty hype seeing Tyrus and Lydia again. If that makes me dumb or overly susceptible to fanservice, then so be it. All the appearances make sense anyway.

He has a good sense of humor about Chuck. With a Mr. Show shout-out too! Looks good with the beard.

"Most beloved character on television right now."

What a down'-to-earth guy. Knowing that Harry Shearer can be kind of an snide asshole on talk shows and such, I thought maybe McKean would be too. Nice to see he isn't.

Trakan

Really took me out of the show when Saul and Mike showed up.

samn

Edit

I watched BB and I barely remember Lydia. 'Oh, her!'

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Edit

I think it works both ways.

If you're a BB fan, than it's a fun callout to what will one day happen and it's a reminder that with each day, Jimmy gets closer to Saul, and one of these days Walter is going to come crashing into that office and nothing will ever be the same.

Likewise, if you're just a fan of BCS and haven't seen BB, it's another lil' mystery about what Gus is all about and what the laundromat or who that woman is.

Chuck's Ex touched on something really important this episode that we glossed over;
Jimmy is not 100% good, he has a darkside too.

I know lots of you will side all the way with Jimmy but don't forget that in his first episode in BB, he did not hesitate with the suggestion of "shanking" Badger to Walt & Jesse; Walt paused but Jesse quickly said "no shanking!"

Plum

Not a bad episode but not a great one either, though after last week I wasn't expecting much more. The Saul Goodman reveal was made obvious but I liked it nonetheless. Whilst the guy's an ass I'm glad they're not just completely ruining Chuck as a person.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Chuck's Ex touched on something really important this episode that we glossed over;

I know lots of you will side all the way with Jimmy but don't forget that in his first episode in BB, he did not hesitate with the suggestion of "shanking" Badger to Walt & Jessie; Walt paused but Jessie quickly said "no shanking!"

Definitely. I wonder how they'll get Jimmy to that point. The show has sorta veered off in a direction I wouldn't have expected while watching Season 1. Back then you could see more hints of the "criminal lawyer" aspect of his character. Jimmy right now isn't above an elaborate con but he also doesn't have the stomach for anything serious.

I also just realized that Saul Goodman was born off camera (for us, the viewer) but also born on camera for the purpose of Jimmy's commercial.

giphy.gif

Christhor

I know lots of you will side all the way with Jimmy but don't forget that in his first episode in BB, he did not hesitate with the suggestion of "shanking" Badger to Walt & Jessie; Walt paused but Jessie quickly said "no shanking!"

Is there something wrong with shanking Badger?

Just a question, didnt Jimmy mention the Saul Goodman "S'all good man" name when he was talking with somebody in Season 1 or 2? I seem to remember this pretty vividly.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think the year off from law is going to get him heavily involved with what Mike is doing. It'll be what bridges Jimmy the Conman with Saul "let's just kill the guy because it's simpler" Goodman. Jimmy isn't a Saint but he's no killer, at least not yet.

Just a question, didnt Jimmy mention the Saul Goodman "S'all good man" name when he was talking with somebody in Season 1 or 2? I seem to remember this pretty vividly.

Yeah I remember that too, I think when he was in Cicero with his old friend. I was confused because people were like this was the first time the name was mentioned in the show, but it's more like the character first appeared today.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
While we're at it, give me some Gale Boetticher. I don't care if it doesn't make narratively or chronologically sense – just do it!

Plum

I think the year off from law is going to get him heavily involved with what Mike is doing. It'll be what bridges Jimmy the Conman with Saul "let's just kill the guy because it's simpler" Goodman. Jimmy isn't a Saint but he's no killer, at least not yet.

Yep, I can't imagine he's going to be able to pull the whole ad thing off for an entire year. Though to be honest I'd just like Mike and Saul's storylines to converge a bit more especially now Gus is in.

Top Bottom