• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
*Saul faces the camera*
"I bet you're wondering how I ended up like this."

I think it would be pretty neat to see BCS fill in some of the gaps on BB. And it would be very uncharacteristic of the show not to show something that both would be interesting to see and that the fans would really want to see. Look at how they're clearly enjoying bringing back past BB characters. If you can't tell that Walt and Jesse will be the main event of the cameos...

"My name is Saul Goodman, and I'm the fastest con-man alive..."

If they eventually do a full post-BB season I could see the cold opens being flashbacks to the people he knew as Jimmy McGill reacting to events throughout Breaking Bad.

Assuming these people haven't met gruesome fates by that point.

Dark_castle

I'm conflicted about cameos and fanservice. On one hand I loved most BB characters and wouldn't mind at all to learn bit more about them pre-BB. On the other hand, I'm still more into BCS core characters at this time and I'm concerned more cameos might distract things.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't get these complaints. They aren't callbacks or nostalgia, this show is a prequel. In BB, Walt and Jesse were the new players entering into a world that was already a well-oiled machine so if we are seeing the story of Saul and Mike before Walt, it makes sense that all these characters would be present. It wouldn't make sense if we DIDN'T see all these characters in a pre-Walt state.
That's where I stand too. If that Lydia shot was intended as an one-off cameo it would be cheap as shit, but I'm pretty sure they are planning to continue using her and that was just an introductory scene that wouldn't feel out of place even without BB.

Like you said, these people were all involved before, so as long as they're used to service the story it's fine by me. This episode had a bit more of that than what we're used to, but I have faith they won't go crazy with callbacks for no reason.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah it's clearly fanservice, but it's not done just for its own sake. It makes sense within the narrative and doesn't hurt the integrity of the story at all.
For sure. For me the only thing is the cameos now linger on the faces simply because they are returning characters. It's like the show is giving its BB fanbase a not-so-subtle wink and nod. And with Gus, he was THE face of season 3 promos. They even created a few LPH viral videos.

So while I agree the characters insertions largely make sense within the BCS narrative, and I personally have no problem with it, I'd find it difficult to believe that it can't be at least partly attributed to AMC given the BB honeypot and BCS's ever-declining* ratings.

*so sad. It's a brilliant show. Hopefully all the people who bailed start coming back as we see more elements from the BB world.

Vince and company will only bring back characters from bb into the show only if it makes sense in the narrative. Last season they decided against having a Marie cameo because it would take away focus from the scene.

Jubern

Am I the one expecting poor Howard to turn up dead next ep? I felt that the discussion about whether he was apt to drive and the sound of his car leaving were REALLY ominous.

Would be a tragic end for a character that got the short end of the stick for the entire series, i can totally see them going for it.

Sunster

Am I the one expecting poor Howard to turn up dead next ep? I felt that the discussion about whether he was apt to drive and the sound of his car leaving were REALLY ominous.

Would be a tragic end for a character that got the short end of the stick for the entire series, i can totally see them going for it.

yea I thought he'd walk off a bridge or something.

DJMicLuv

Wasn't it mentioned that Tuco had just been sent down for 6 months during this episode? When Nacho was meeting with Hector near the end. Wouldn't that make this episode about 6 months before BB starts?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
"It is I, a big enough fan of a show that was on for 5 seasons to watch a prequel based on a minor character for anothe 3+ seasons AND talk about it at length on the Internet, unable to discern the difference between "fan service" and "dot connecting" because I am too smart and wise to enjoy something as simple and mundane as a 'cameo.'

And now I need to tell GAF."

/extremely British sniff

/logs into NeoGAF.com

Wasn't it mentioned that Tuco had just been sent down for 6 months during this episode? When Nacho was meeting with Hector near the end. Wouldn't that make this episode about 6 months before BB starts?

I do believe Hector was upset that Tuco got himself in trouble which may lead to a longer stay in prison.

Socreges

Banned
"It is I, a big enough fan of a show that was on for 5 seasons to watch a prequel based on a minor character for anothe 3+ seasons AND talk about it at length on the Internet, unable to discern the difference between "fan service" and "dot connecting" because I am too smart and wise to enjoy something as simple and mundane as a 'cameo.'

And now I need to tell GAF."

/extremely British sniff

/logs into NeoGAF.com
"It is I, PantherLotus, incapable of directly addressing people or their specific points, and so I passive aggressively and patronizingly construct this straw man that you see before you now.

Nevertheless my snobbery will be adjoined with sufficient self-awareness so as to deter any saltiness my way.

I hope I am successful."

/💋

I love the show. And I think fan service is OK.

Servbot24

Banned
My word this show is so good! Did not expect so many BB cameos but they are doing it very well. The only issue with it is that it can make the world seem to small. Since all the guys in BB are also the guys in BCS it seems like the drug network is not that big. Just a nitpick - overall this season is blowing me away.

I'm conflicted about cameos and fanservice. On one hand I loved most BB characters and wouldn't mind at all to learn bit more about them pre-BB. On the other hand, I'm still more into BCS core characters at this time and I'm concerned more cameos might distract things.

It's not just "cameos" though. Breaking Bad had a plot that BCS is required to adhere to. They can't just pretend that Lydia never existed or something.

BunnyBear

I'm not really getting the complaints about the fan-service. I mean, it's exactly the same world and all these characters are going to interact considering the varying stories of BB and BCS take place in what is quite a small city.

It would be weird NOT to have ongoing cameos from well-established characters as we draw closer to the BB timeline, surely? Perhaps not quite yet, but it would be strange NOT to see Walt and Jesse and Badger at some point in future scenes. And a Hank cameo would just make sense now.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not really getting the complaints about the fan-service. I mean, it's exactly the same world and all these characters are going to interact considering the varying stories of BB and BCS take place in what is quite a small city.

It would be weird NOT to have ongoing cameos from well-established characters and we draw closer to the BB timeline, surely? Perhaps not quite yet, but it would be strange NOT to see Walt and Jesse and Badger at some point in future scenes. And a Hank cameo would just make sense now.

I don't think there's any reason we need to see Walt and Jesse. At the point they meet Saul they're still nobodies, they're just bumbling around.

Hank makes more sense for sure. He definitely never met Gus or Mike before BB, but from his first scene with Saul it seemed like they were familiar.

It's not just "cameos" though. Breaking Bad had a plot that BCS is required to adhere to. They can't just pretend that Lydia never existed or something.

This. It's one thing for them to be cheeky with the reveal of a BB character, but it would make much less sense if Lydia wasn't heavily involved in Gus' rise. She's going to be a regular character on this show most likely.

Socreges

Banned

It would be weird NOT to have ongoing cameos from well-established characters as we draw closer to the BB timeline, surely? Perhaps not quite yet, but it would be strange NOT to see Walt and Jesse and Badger at some point in future scenes. And a Hank cameo would just make sense now.
Yes please.

How connected was Hank during BB S1? Was he involved with drug enforcement and gangs? Can't remember what his career path was.

Wow. That ending. I wasn't expecting that at all. It's so low key but totally naturally and fit perfectly. The showrunners really know how to subvert expectations and deliver the key moments in a satisfying but unexpected way.

But at the same time, while that was handled masterfully, Gus continues to be typical Breaking Bad Zero on-the-nose shit. The laundromat? It was "neat", but so unnecessary. Pure fanservice with little effort imo.

I teared up at the Mike scene though. Something about it really hit me. Mike is a guy whose only reason to live on is to see his daughter-in-law and grand daughter happy. He's old, he has had enough of life mostly, but he wants to do all he can for them. I think that really informs his change from a slightly morally righteous man to a full out mob fixer. Because he'll do anything for them, and his own sense of justice, integrity, or honor means nothing in the end if it means they can be happy when he's gone. :(

Mike to me is basically Walt if Walt didn't eventually begin to make it about himself and not his family. Which is why we like Mike but by the end of BB we dislike Walt.

I don't think there's any reason we need to see Walt and Jesse. At the point they meet Saul they're still nobodies, they're just bumbling around.

Hank makes more sense for sure. He definitely never met Gus or Mike before BB, but from his first scene with Saul it seemed like they were familiar.
Agreed on both counts. And I'm in the camp that likes the interweaving of the old and new -- but it just doesn't make sense to have Walt and Jesse appear based on where they first encounter Saul in BB (with Saul in BAU mode as a criminal lawyer).

Kadin

How closely do you guys look at the actors and notice if they've aged much since this is obviously set before BB? I don't see it happen very often but I did notice it this week with Tyrus (Ray Campbell). He was a good bit thinner in BB but maybe the weight he shows now he in theory lost?

I try not to worry about stuff like this because there's not a lot they can do about it, but it doesn't keep me from noticing it here and there.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
How closely do you guys look at the actors and notice if they've aged much since this is obviously set before BB? I don't see it happen very often but I did notice it this week with Tyrus (Ray Campbell). He was a good bit thinner in BB but maybe the weight he shows now he in theory lost?

I try not to worry about stuff like this because there's not a lot they can do about it, but it doesn't keep me from noticing it here and there.

Biggest one for me was the flashbacks from late in BB where Jesse looked nothing like his young self.

Weight from years prior can be explained away.

Kadin

Biggest one for me was the flashbacks from late in BB where Jesse looked nothing like his young self.

Weight from years prior can be explained away.
Yeah when he was making the wood box and also when they flashed back to him and Walt cooking in the motor home, both of those stood out how different Jesse looked.

SickBoy

I don't think he's ages badly, but there is something about Giancarlo Esposito today that really makes me notice this. Maybe it's just me... whatever it is, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Nyx

Great episode again and I loved all the BB chars appearing. How can people complain about that? It's a prequel show after all.

Kadin

I don't think he's ages badly, but there is something about Giancarlo Esposito today that really makes me notice this. Maybe it's just me... whatever it is, I can't quite put my finger on it.
I saw it too. I'm not sure if it's the color of his hair has slightly changed or his hairline has receded a bit, but it's something up there - for me at least.

ElRenoRaven

Just got done with the episode. I have to say I never saw Saul coming into existence that way. It's actually really fitting I guess. Now to see where we go from here. This show always manages to surprise me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Was it established if Mike's daughter-in-law was either incorrect about hearing gunshots or if she was lying about it just so he would pay for her rent in a new neighborhood?

Christ on a bike. I loved that episode, so so good! Lots of nice wee call outs for fans of BB and seeing how Saul came to be was just awesome.

It really is a consistently great show.

iirate

Was it established if Mike's daughter-in-law was either incorrect about hearing gunshots or if she was lying about it just so he would pay for her rent in a new neighborhood?

My understanding is that she was lying, trying to manipulate his guilt from Matty's death and the love of his granddaughter. He knows, she knows he knows, but he keeps going along with it for the aforementioned reasons. I also feel like a part of her is doing this because she doesn't completely forgive him for his role in Matty's death.

A lot of this is up to interpretation, but I just did my third viewing of s1 and my second of s2 and this is where I'm at regarding their relationship.

Einchy

My understanding is that she was lying, trying to manipulate his guilt from Matty's death and the love of his granddaughter. He knows, she knows he knows, but he keeps going along with it for the aforementioned reasons. I also feel like a part of her is doing this because she doesn't completely forgive him for his role in Matty's death.

A lot of this is up to interpretation, but I just did my third viewing of s1 and my second of s2 and this is where I'm at regarding their relationship.

This is what I remember, too.

I ask because my mom is currently watching season 2, and I saw the scene with the gunshots, which made me remember this week's episode where she got him to build them a playground. Which normally wouldn't really be a big deal, but I remember her pulling the same shit in season 2. I just didn't remember if it was left ambiguous.

Monocle

People who complain about fanservice just because it exists are ridiculous. Criticize it when the writers pass up a great opportunity to improve the plot and go for a cheap fanservicey moment instead. Otherwise, accept that they would be dumb as hell not to draw from the rich world that Breaking Bad already established.

BCS is closely intermeshed with BB. Its whole premise is to follow an integral supporting character from BB. Several of BCS's supporting characters are also prominent supporting characters in BB.

If you were hoping for a prequel to BB that pretends BB doesn't exist, then, uhh... recalibrate your expectations? The connections and cameos are part of the package deal of getting to see Saul's origin story.

I don't know how some of you can post on gaf in real time while watching this show, and divide your attention.
They think they can mutitask, but what they're actually doing is performing several tasks badly.

There's a scene afterwards showing Mike surveilling outside her place overnight to verify her claims. The "gunshots" were just the paperboy delivering newspaper.

It's not outright stated, but it's implied that Stacey is unknowingly suffering from PTSD due to her husband's death, causing her paranoia. Mike, being a war vet, probably realizes this after hearing her claim that the stucco on the wall was hit by bullets.

Personally, I don't think she was trying to con him for money. However, even if she were, Mike will probably feign ignorance anyways because the bottom line is Kaylee's well-being.

iirate

I don't know how some of you can post on gaf in real time while watching this show, and divide your attention.

I don't either. This is my favorite show and I only get 10 new episodes a year, so I give the show my undivided attention when it's on.

There's a scene afterwards showing Mike surveilling outside her place overnight to verify her claims. The "gunshots" were just the paperboy delivering newspaper.

It's not outright stated, but it's implied that Stacey is unknowingly suffering from PTSD due to her husband's death, causing her paranoia. Mike, being a war vet, probably realizes this after hearing her claim that the stucco on the wall was hit by bullets.

Personally, I don't think she was trying to con him for money. However, even if she were, Mike will probably feign ignorance anyways because the bottom line is Kaylee's well-being.

I hadn't thought about this, but I could see this being the intent. I don't like it as much because I appreciate the context my reading gives to scenes like the one we got this week (as well as some others), but it makes sense.

Kadin

He took Walt on a ride along to bust a meth dealer in one of the first episodes.
Which is where he saw Jesse which started them out on their path together. So in essence, all of what Walt and Jesse became and did can be blamed on Hank...

duckroll

Which is where he saw Jesse which started them out on their path together. So in essence, all of what Walt and Jesse became and did can be blamed on Hank...

No, Walt wanted to go on a stake out because he saw the news report on his birthday and got curious about it. Once again, people try to pin things on other characters but the ultimate responsibility goes back to Walt!!!!!!

This is what I remember, too.

I ask because my mom is currently watching season 2, and I saw the scene with the gunshots, which made me remember this week's episode where she got him to build them a playground. Which normally wouldn't really be a big deal, but I remember her pulling the same shit in season 2. I just didn't remember if it was left ambiguous.

I hadn't thought about this, but I could see this being the intent. I don't like it as much because I appreciate the context my reading gives to scenes like the one we got this week (as well as some others), but it makes sense.

Somewhat uncomfortable that the first reading some people have of a grieving widow struggling to bring a young daughter alone is that she's some manipulative woman taking advantage of someone's kindness. She genuinely respects Mike a lot and feels she can count on him. She doesn't seem to have any other family she can count on, and she knows deep down that her husband was killed because of corruption in the police force. It's a shit situation.

gun_haver

Sure he looks a little bit older, but I think it's mainly just that his hair is longer than it was in BB. He had a fairly tight buzz cut in BB but in BC his hair is long enough you can see the curls. He always had some grey, but it's more noticeable because his hair is longer, so I guess it makes him look different/older.

I don't think it's really distracting though. Aaron Paul would be, because he aged a lot just through the course of Breaking Bad, so they'd have to do some work to make Jesse look younger, might not even be possible.

Mike always looked old, he probably looks older now than I realise (haven't watched BB in a while), but it is pretty subtle just cos Johnathan Banks has 0 hair. Bob Odenkirk on the other hand looked like shit compared to what he looks like in BCS, so even if he has a few more wrinkles, he looks better/has much more hair, so you can kind of buy that he is 10 years younger or whatever it is.

Just one of those things overall, you've got to suspend your disbelief.

Einchy

No, Walt wanted to go on a stake out because he saw the news report on his birthday and got curious about it. Once again, people try to pin things on other characters but the ultimate responsibility goes back to Walt!!!!!!
Somewhat uncomfortable that the first reading some people have of a grieving widow struggling to bring a young daughter alone is that she's some manipulative woman taking advantage of someone's kindness. She genuinely respects Mike a lot and feels she can count on him. She doesn't seem to have any other family she can count on, and she knows deep down that her husband was killed because of corruption in the police force. It's a shit situation.

Can't it be both?

Been awhile since I seen season 2, so I might be misremembering, but I remember her coming off super sketchy in the scene where they find her new house cus it was obvious Mike couldn't pay for it with his tollbooth job.

Started to feel like she was taking advantage of him.

Top Bottom