• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

zewone

So the ladies husband from the meetings was the same guy Mike got killed?

That would be one of the dumbest storylines, if not the dumbest, if so.

That is way too convenient for a show like this.

That would be one of the dumbest storylines, if not the dumbest, if so.

That is way too convenient for a show like this.
the story of how she lost her husband makes it clear that it's not the same person at all.

Great interview by Alan Sepinwall with McKean (Chuck) and Peter Gould here http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-...ean-peter-gould-chuck-mcgill-interview-recap/
Oh, good. They finally posted it. Thanks for the link.

Peter, have you thought through yet where Chuck is during the events of Breaking Bad? Is that something you guys know?

Gould: We talk about all those questions. About where Chuck is, where Kim is. We talk about these things endlessly in the writer's room. I often say we go brick-by-brick and scene-by-scene, which is true enough, but we also can't help talking about it. So where does this go? And how did this end? We definitely talked about it a lot. We have strong theories.

Strong theories but not a definitive answer yet?

Gould: We know a lot. We asked ourselves a lot of questions at the beginning of season one, and I despaired of ever having the answers. The fundamental question of the show, which is, ”What problem does becoming Saul Goodman solve?" I never thought we'd get there, and then here we are at the end of season three, and the clouds are beginning to part. Although, there's a sadness to that, because Jimmy becoming Saul Goodman is a loss. I'm going to miss Jimmy.

I get complaints sometimes because I refer to them as two separate characters. Do you feel that they're essentially two different people?

Gould: No. Anybody who watches the show, I'm grateful to. I'm down with any interpretation. If you ask me how I think of it, I think of Jimmy McGill as being someone who is trying on a lot of hats. He tries on a lot of personas, which I think is very human. It takes a long time to figure out who you are with other people and who you are as a person, and for some of us that work never ends. I think he's an extreme example of that. He's also someone who loves pleasing other people, so he's been changing his identity especially to try to please Chuck, to try to please Kim, to try to get ahead. So I think of him as a searcher and someone who's trying to find his place in the world and trying to matter to the people who matter to him.

McKean: Imagine Jimmy becoming a filmmaker. We see him making this commercial, and you go, ”Yeah, well, I actually see this guy being kind of a gonzo, slice-of-life kind of film guy."

Gould: Absolutely.

McKean: Maybe not successful, but maybe happy. Maybe getting good. Who knows? Arthur Albert, our director of photography season one and two, was constantly pitching the, ”Jimmy goes into film and moves to LA," which I think was really just because Arthur wanted to sleep at home every night.

And how did you land on the idea that this temporary job would be where he began using the name as his public persona?

Gould: That was just sheer logic, because we had seen him use the name Saul Goodman back when he was scamming in season one. At the last minute, he's looking for another identity. He has to improvise on the spot so he doesn't ruin his law practice forever. It just made sense that the first name that he would pull out of thin air would be the one he used back when he was a scammer.

-griffy-

Banned
The lady telling the story about her husband going missing and not having that closure made Mike realize the same would be true for the family of the good samaritan he accidentally got killed. So Mike went to find the body of the good samaritan to provide closure for his family.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Oh, good. They finally posted it. Thanks for the link.

Peter, have you thought through yet where Chuck is during the events of Breaking Bad? Is that something you guys know?

VnruGbf.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The lady telling the story about her husband going missing and not having that closure made Mike realize the same would be true for the family of the good samaritan he accidentally got killed. So Mike went to find the body of the good samaritan to provide closure for his family.

Poor Drew Sharp's family.

Currently rewatching Breaking Bad. Just watched the demise of Mike again. Breaks my heart even more now with the new angle from Better Call Saul. :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah this is definitely the best season. Gus coming back was the big draw, but it's not even the best part of the season. Every major character has undergone changes, but the writers don't even knock you over the head with it. Like this here:

To me, the most important there was that the guy stuck to the agreement and paid him fair and square, unlike the two guys from the music store that backpedaled on what was agreed upon. I feel like that was much more of an eye opener for him than just the effort>$ ratio.

It's also a question of respect, the guy respected him for what he has done there and treated him almost like a genius, something he didn't get much of in normal practice. Sure there is a feeling of satisfaction in helping old people, but it doesn't come close to this. Jimmy needs this kind of recognition and this will pull him to the other side. He loves having someone there, a witness that can see how he outplays the system, it was his friend before, and then it was Kim, and from now on it might be every criminal he takes in and witnesses him work his magic.

is what the show does so well. I'm already looking forward to rewatching this show. This season also has the best episode yet in Chicanery.

Heh, didn't know that was his body, thanks

Lothar

Banned
Stopped watching this show after a few episodes this season. Slow burn was just way to slow. Did it ever get good?

It's the same speed as it always was. It's comparable to every other season. There's good emotional moments here and there, some funny scenes here and there, but it is always very very slow.

Just saw episode 5 of season 3....

Just wanna know two things because I'm ever so slightly confused now.

one....

Chuck had no pain, no issues at all while that battery WAS inside his pocket. But his illness is not fake. He really did have that attack years ago when his ex wife visited.........

Two...

The photos of Chuck's house, taken by Mike. Nobody in that courtroom asked how these photos were obtained. They kinda were made illegally I guess. Weren't they?

SpaceWolf

Banned

one....

Chuck had no pain, no issues at all while that battery WAS inside his pocket. But his illness is not fake. He really did have that attack years ago when his ex wife visited.........

Two...

The photos of Chuck's house, taken by Mike. Nobody in that courtroom asked how these photos were obtained. They kinda were made illegally I guess. Weren't they?

1) The whole case that Jimmy was making was that Chuck's condition is psychosomatic, which it is. Chuck only reacts with discomfort to electrically charged objects because he thinks they hurt him, not that they actually do. This was proved by Jimmy planting the battery on Chuck while his brother was unaware.

2) It's not illegal to take photos inside someone's house when you've been invited inside.

SliChillax

one....

Two...

Because Chuck keeps saying it's a physical condition meanwhile Jimmy showed to the court that Chuck has a mental condition. By proving that Chuck has a mental condition he proved to the court that Chuck is unstable and he lied on purpose to make his brother feel better.
As for the pics, I don't think it's illegal, those pics could have been taken when Jimmy had the keys to the house for all they know.

Yes that's it. Thank you guys. Definitely makes sense.

I assume Jimmy didn't know this all along though, right? Otherwise in all those times he went to his house he really wouldn't have had to put his phone in the mailbox and everything. So this was a gamble for Jimmy.

I assume Jimmy didn't know this all along though, right? Otherwise in all those times he went to his house he really wouldn't have had to put his phone in the mailbox and everything. So this was a gamble for Jimmy.

Of course he knew but he loved his brother enough to appease him and to make him comfortable.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Jimmy has known about the true nature of Chuck's condition for a long time. He spoke to a Doctor about Chuck's illness in Season 1, where the Doctor confirmed it was all in Chuck's head. Even before that though, I believe it's been touched on that Jimmy has had his suspicions for a number of years.*

Jimmy continuing to look after his brother and put himself to great inconvenience to do so just demonstrates Jimmy's faithfulness and loyalty for Chuck as a brother. Even though Jimmy knows it's all in Chuck's head, he's still regularly been looking after him so as to help him feel better. It's a good example of Jimmy McGill's early decency as a human being, despite his conniving, unethical ways.

Yeah it's been a while since I saw season 1. Been wanting to watch seasons 1 and 2 before 3 again but ah well.

Such a crazy thing, it actually doesn't hurt him at all but basically some kind of voice tells him it does.

As for Jimmy, yeah he's not a bad person at all but man he does some frustrating things that gets himself and others in trouble. His ways may not always be great but he sure does care about Kim and Chuck too. That's the thing in this show, Chuck does some shitty things to Jimmy but it's understandable and Jimmy does shitty things and are sometimes understandable as well. There's no good or bad guy here.

And damn man, community service AND twelve months suspended from his job just because he kicked Chuck's door down? I believe he didn't admit to destroying any personal items like the cassette. And he made everyone in that courtroom believe that he did all that because he heard Chuck was going to frame him. Seems a bit much this punishment.

SliChillax

He knew once Chuck was in the hospital and the nurse turned on the electricity in bed without Chuck knowing.

Lothar

Banned
If this is very very slow, I don't want fast.

Breaking Bad was fast. Most memorable episodes of BB would be several episodes of BCS. Take the first Saul appearance episode of BB. You get introduced to Saul, Badger gets caught, Walt and Jesse try to get Saul to help them and he doesn't, they kidnap and take him to the desert and threaten him, he comes up with a plan to have Badger walk, they go through with their plan which of course nearly fails, Saul discover that Walt is a chemistry teacher. That all happens on one episode. If the story of that episode was in this show, they might have Hank talking to Saul about Badger being the pivotal scene of a episode. Then that would be it for the week.

At the very least, it would be no shorter than 4 episodes.
-Badger getting caught and meeting Saul
-Walt and Jesse going to Saul's office and bribing him
-Walt and Jesse kidnapping Saul and Saul coming up with a plan
-The plan being carried out

These all would be guaranteed to be separate episodes.

Both are good stories but I'm really not a fan of the pacing on BCS. I know I'm in the minority on this thread though.

Wiped89

Breaking Bad was fast. Most memorable episodes of BB would be several episodes of BCS. Take the first Saul appearance episode of BB. You get introduced to Saul, Badger gets caught, Walt and Jesse try to get Saul to help them and he doesn't, they kidnap and take him to the desert and threaten him, he comes up with a plan to have Badger walk, they go through with their plan which of course nearly fails, Saul discover that Walt is a chemistry teacher. That all happens on one episode. If the story of that episode was in this show, they might have Hank talking to Saul about Badger being the pivotal scene of a episode. Then that would be it for the week.

At the very least, it would be no shorter than 4 episodes.
-Badger getting caught and meeting Saul
-Walt and Jesse going to Saul's office and bribing him
-Walt and Jesse kidnapping Saul and Saul coming up with a plan
-The plan being carried out

These all would be guaranteed to be separate episodes.

Both are good stories but I'm really not a fan of the pacing on BCS. I know I'm in the minority on this thread though.

Agree with this x1000. I like BCS but it will never be the level of BB for me because of its slowrr pace.

I love Hamlin so much, he's such a great character.
Hell, I was pro-Hamlin and argued against fan/Jimmy perception of him prior to the truth in season one even being revealed.
Not that he's always morally sound and not that his actions aren't ambiguous at times, I just love him because he's written and acted well, Patrick Fabian is the goat.

Top Bottom