• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

BizzyBum

I thought a car was going to come from the background and crash into Kim's side without her realizing but the way they did it was 10x better.

Like others mentioned felt so bad for Irene. Jimmy is not a good person, he's just charismatic. They're doing a great job of making him more unlikable as the series goes on.

Can't wait for next week.

A few quotes from this week's interviews:

- Slate: Better Call Saul’s Michael McKean on Why Great Comedians Can Also Break Your Heart
Better Call Saul is, by design, a pretty slow-moving show, but this season has introduced several characters from the Breaking Bad universe, and the Chuck storyline got a major payoff in “Chicanery,” where Jimmy coaxed him into a breakdown on the witness stand. It’s an intense battle of wills between the two of them.

It was good reading. There was about 30 pages of dialogue, just dialogue, in those courtroom scenes. There was a density to stepping into that. Dan Sackheim, who directed the episode, he called me, I was in New York, and said, “We’ve got a theory of how to do this, because you have so much to do, and I’m looking for a way to not pile on so much.” He started laying it out: “If we start on the coverage of everybody else, that’ll give you more days to learn your stuff.” And I said, “Look, whatever you decide to do, it’s fine. When you roll, I’ll be ready, whistling past the graveyard.” It was kind of a nice gesture, but I really generally don’t like to think about it too much. I like to be prepared, I like to know what I’m doing, and I like to not see the goalposts. Because like I say, real life is unpredictable. You can launch into any endeavor and have a manhole cover give way underneath you. You don’t know.

So it was not daunting so much as it was invigorating. I knew my stuff and I knew the story, I deeply knew my relationship with Jimmy. The construct came script by script, and the writers have been very kind about talking about it, saying that our relationship, the relationship that Jimmy and Chuck developed in the hands of Michael and Bob, inspired them, and led them places they didn’t really suspect they were going.

They created Chuck as a person that Jimmy cares about. Saul Goodman has said goodbye to the world, in large part. For him it’s about amassing those oil drums full of money in the desert. So by the time we got to Episode 5 of Season 3, the gladiators were in the arena, but they had a very deep, very troubled relationship. If you want to boil things down, I made mama proud, Jimmy made mama laugh. What has more value? What burns Chuck? What doesn’t Jimmy understand about what burns Chuck? Because Chuck has never expressed it to Jimmy.

One of the prime movers in Chuck is his inability to talk about these things that he’s feeling. He doesn’t have anyone. When he has a couple of sessions with [Chuck’s therapist] Dr. Cruz, she’s Clea DuVall’s character, it’s the first time that we’ve seen a person that he’s completely honest with about himself. Imagine having a life where you don’t have that person. You have to hire a professional to be the person you’re honest with. That’s key with Chuck, I think.

Do you think Chuck’s ex-wife was that person for him, earlier?

Yes, but there’s a kind of formality that he had with his wife. It was kind of an aesthetic level that they had together. We don’t really know what their intimacy level was.

It seems like it was more of a deep appreciation for each other.

I think so, I think so. Their intimacy was not explored. In a different universe, I can imagine being in love with Annie Cusack; she’s this fabulous actress, a brilliant, funny woman. But the construct on the page was something very much withheld, as far as Chuck is concerned. And not it’s not just Chuck withholding, it’s also his inability to get at what’s really wonderful about Rebecca. It’s lovely, and kind of complicated.

- NY Mag: Better Call Saul’s Michael Mando on Nacho’s Self-Sacrifice
That scene with Nacho and his dad was particularly heartbreaking because his father didn’t know how ingenious Nacho actually was.

That was one of the hardest scenes I’ve shot in my career, because I couldn’t say those words without tearing up. I wasn’t as strong as Nacho, and it just broke my heart to be sitting in that kitchen and looking at pictures they put of myself as a child and my father as a younger man all over the walls. It’s that really archetypal moment where the son needs to become the father’s keeper. We’d agreed it was important that Nacho showed no tears, and that was very difficult for me. And he sacrificed himself for his father in such a noble way that his father might never know.

What was the significance of Nacho pouring out the glass of milk?

I’m so happy you asked. That’s something we found during rehearsal and I was hoping they would keep it in. To me, it represents the good son, the essence of the character. Milk is innocence, and the pouring out in the sink is the innocence fading. The act of quietly taking it and putting it into the sink, what it really represents is that despite having strong-armed my father and breaking his heart, I will still keep a clean house, I am still my father’s son, and I will still do the house chores, even after he’s kicked me out.

- EW: Better Call Saul creator: 'This is the worst thing I’ve ever seen Jimmy do'
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: That car crash was rather disturbing. What exactly happened? Kim has definitely been overwhelmed and under-rested, taking on another case on short deadline in addition to Mesa Verde. Has she bitten off more than she can chew to help keep up her business with Jimmy, maybe even both sides?

PETER GOULD: Anybody who’s worked really hard, and most people have, when you burn the candle at both ends, if you’re not sleeping, it can be genuinely dangerous. In a lot of ways, sleep-deprived driving is as bad as drunk driving. Little PSA for you there. [Laughs.] And she has been burning the candle at both ends. Kim has always been a hard worker, and that’s something I admire about her. She has hustle, she has focus, and she cares deeply about getting her work done right. And we saw that all the way through the seasons, but this season, she’s taken that to a place that may not be healthy, and that comes to climax in that car accident.

Of course, if you think back to episode 7, there’s that moment before Kim goes into Mesa Verde where she realizes that she’s a little bit early, so she sets her alarm and wants to try to take a catnap and then the five minutes goes by in an instant. That seemed to me to be a precursor to this. We’ve seen that even when she was just working at Mesa Verde, she’s working as hard as she can possibly can — maybe harder than she should be. I don’t know if you’re familiar with that old story about John Henry, who was the man who could lay rails better than anyone else. Then the machine came and raced him, and he beat the machine, but then he died. [Laughs.] Kim has a little touch of John Henry there. She’s doing a job that probably a whole office full of lawyers should be doing — and she’s doing it by itself. And she can do it, but now she takes on this extra thing in episode 8 — she took it on, maybe because of what’s going on with Jimmy, maybe for reasons of her own. I think it’s a little bit for us to decide, and maybe we’ll learn more about that in episode 10.

She gets out of the car, but she appears to have hurt her arm pretty badly. Exactly how injured is she?

We had an option that we considered — and if it had been a different TV show, we might have taken — which was to have the crash and then not show her getting out of the car. There’s a phrase that we used to use in the Breaking Bad writers’ room, and we use in the Better Call Saul writers’ room, and it’s something we try to avoid. We call it schmuck bait, but basically, it means leaving the audience to believe that something enormous has happened to get them to keep watching past the commercial or to the next episode, and then taking it off the table as soon as you get back. We really try to play fair with the audience. The question in my mind is: How badly is Kim hurt? And also what does this mean? What caused the car accident? And what is she going to take out of all of this?
- Variety: Michael Mando Talks Nacho’s Big Moments in ‘Better Call Saul’ S3
These two tense scenes. It makes me wonder how much longer Nacho has for this world.

The thing that really fascinates me about this character is that I don’t think he cares anymore to ask himself that question. I think in the first two seasons, we saw someone who was — especially in Season 2, desperately trying to stay alive and to stay afloat and to continue his ascension. In this season, I think he’s really made a choice. He knows that he could potentially die, and he’s okay with that. What’s great about a character like that is he has made higher moral choices that go beyond his desire to survive. [Nacho’s story] is a very tragic story about a young man who has made a decision, at the time, thinking that he was going to make something of himself. It’s about someone who wants to be somebody in this world. It’s sad because at a young age, he thought the only way he could do that was to do what the people who had the most money around him were doing. He gets caught up in a struggle between light and darkness that ultimately starts eating at him and threatens to take everything that is good in his life away from him. He has to commit himself to darkness and sort of drown whatever good he has and become a monster that he’s trying to avoid in order to save the part of light that he still has, which is his father. There’s an element of Greek tragedy there, where it’s very fatalistic. You become the thing you’re trying to avoid in order to save the thing you wish you were.

That’s very beautiful.

Thank you. I’ve always felt it was like someone being lowered into this dark cave and who walks in very slowly and says, “I’m just going to pick the gold coins that don’t have any stains of blood on them.” As he gets deeper and deeper into the cave and picks more gold, he looks down at his hands, and he realizes that he’s knee-deep in blood. He can’t recognize how he got here.

- Forbes interview: 'Better Call Saul' Writer Gordon Smith On Jimmy McGill Kicking A Puppy
In the most recent Insider Podcast Kelley Dixon suggested that in Episode 308 when Jimmy is threatening to sue the Community Service Supervisor, it was the beginnings of Saul Goodman. Bob Odenkirk stopped by and he disagreed--he said that was still still Slippin' Jimmy. But to me, this episode felt different. It seemed like we're seeing Saul, who's fully aware of the collateral damage, but doing it anyway. 

Jimmy’s turning corners slowly, but this is a definitive one. Early on, in season 1, when he first goes to Sandpiper Crossing,  the audience thought that Saul's going to take advantage of these little old ladies. He’s developing marks for a future con. We said, “Saul would do that, but Jimmy wouldn’t.”

It's come back to that. We're seeing him put the screws to them, using all his skills not for good, but for evil against this defenseless, harmless woman who just wants to make her way in the world. She has low aspirations: to have friends, to hang out at her home, play with her cats and do chair yoga.

It’s not just the one victim. Jimmy/Saul poisons the whole community.

It’s a scorched earth policy toward all those people. You see what the ultimate in a con game really is, the ability to persuade people. It’s kind of awful, to see him use his silver tongue for these purposes. At least for me it was.

We’ve spent three years building Jimmy up to where we're really on his side. And you spent so much of that capital in one episode. He’s going after little old ladies, the softest possible target. We know there needs to be an arc to get from Jimmy to Saul, but why this way and why now? He could have been playing a con on some criminals the way Walter White did.

He could have gone after drug dealers, or someone who’s a combatant, but that doesn’t seem as big a change, does it? It doesn’t seem as unscrupulous. If he cons someone like that, has he really changed? Have we seen something fundamental harden in him? This? It’s like kicking a puppy.

Do you worry about how much goodwill you’ll have lost?

Unfortunately, I think that’s a place where our hands are somewhat tied. We still have a long way to go still.  Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad seems fairly dead inside. There’s not a lot of spark of Jimmy. A little in his charisma and his derring do. That sweetness we see in Jimmy seems not just gone but long gone in Saul. We had to start pushing him in that direction and see what are the steps that get him there. What are his  intentions? He’s hurting the little old ladies, emotionally, but they’re going to get their settlement, they’re going to get money out of it
Much more via the links.

Plum

Everyone but Howard is at their worst in this episode. Jimmy was a cunt, Chuck's a cunt, Kim's work ethic is a cunt, Mike's signed the cunt contract on the dotted line, it's tough to watch! Can't wait for next week!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Damn that was bad Jimmy. I feel sorry for the old lady.
WTF happened Kim blacked out?

I actually fell asleep while driving once and it's just like that... you are awake driving then you're somewhere else, no recolection of actually falling asleep, it's like if you jumped instantly into a different point in time.

Thanks the gods I did not crash like her tho...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Kim would've probably been fine if it wasn't for Jimmy, since she had to take on the second client to help him, she initially didn't even think about doing that work.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone but Howard is at their worst in this episode. Jimmy was a cunt, Chuck's a cunt, Kim's work ethic is a cunt, Mike's signed the cunt contract on the dotted line, it's tough to watch! Can't wait for next week!

Even Howard was basically forcing Chuck into retirement this episode.

Einchy

It's the responsible thing to do. I have my issues with Howard, but he was treating Chuck with respect. Chuck just doesn't want to admit that hes' damaged goods.

Yeah, Howard has been the biggest bro for the past 3 seasons, but this it too much, he can't keep bending over for Chuck since it's putting everyone in an awful situation.

Birbo

Another great episode. Poor Irene! Poor Kim! Poor Nacho!

Had to rewind Kim's crash as I'd looked away from the TV for a brief second right as it happened. Such a great cut too.

Nacho's scene really touched me. Trying to be a good son.

I wonder, what happens to the case if Irene were to die? Sure all that stress can't be good for an elderly woman and it's a pretty safe bet Jimmy doesn't get a million dollars.

Don't want it to end next week. Season has gone by too fast.

sneaky sneaky
AxiBOd4.jpg

1a1926c721fa0f5e92860a285813618a.jpg

While we were watching, my wife pointed out that the Crazy 8 stores were not around when this show takes place..

riotous

Banned
That's what I thought....

I assume we are going to see that happen at some point.

And if they do, you KNOW they are going to stick his karaoke in there as well.

Yeah he could show up any time; I'm unsure if they established when Gale graduated college; he seems older than a recent grad so possible he's already working or nearing graduation. But with it being ~5 years until BB it would also possibly be soon that he is getting the scholarship.

After reading that Michael Mando quote above-- would Nacho just try to straight up kill Hector if the pill stunt doesn't work? Give his life to save his dad?

He's gotta know that his dad isn't going to follow his advice.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just watched the episode.

Wow. Jimmy has officially crossed over into monster territory for me now. Not even joking, that was genuinely grotesque. The character has lost practically all likeability points with me.

Predicted Kim was going to crash the car for a while now, just glad it seems she wasn't grievously injured.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
general thoughts, predictions:

-- maybe it's actually nacho's dad that puts Hector in the wheelchair? i'm wondering if papa goes nuts and starts firing on hector or something. 'please don't do anything stupid' keeps echoing in my head.

-- disagree entirely with the suggestion that this manipulating old people thing is either out of character or as far as jimmy's slip into saul should go. as another poster said, we're talking about the iconic sleazy lawyer here. face-on-a-park-bench sleaze.

-- what i would point out is that this first real vile slip immediately follows his severed relationship with Chuck, his suspension from the bar, and an immediate need for cash after failing with his ad business. yeah it's gross and dirty but 1) we are talking about a ton of money here and 2) is it really that much sleazier than his fake matlock-esque put-on he does with the elderly in the first place?

-- i would also note the parallel of Jimmy and Chuck, with Chuck lashing out at HHM 'wait until you see me as an enemy' ringing out as we learn that BOTH Jimmy and Chuck are entitled pricks incapable of walking away from mistakes they've made. They both keep doubling down. And down the moral rabbit hole they go. I suspect Chuck is going to flame out in a big, big way.

-- the entire kim thing is interesting, because her oil work follows right on the heels of kinda blowing up at her friend that works for her client. on one hand she's going after clients she should know she can't handle by herself, she's overworked but she's doing it to herself, she needs/wants money presumably to make jimmy's suspension ($$) easier to handle. On the other i'm starting to think she's going to have a major breakdown after this wreck and perhaps remove herself from Jimmy's orbit. Whether that's a hard reset back to Kansas with a strong 'I don't want to see you anymore' or a set of increasingly poor decisions that get her in trouble, killed, or otherwise I don't know. I am fairly certain that whatever happens, Kim will be removed from Jimmy's life and that will cause his final decent into sleazebag Saul.

If you're not ready for that -- Chuck's descent into madness, Kim's removal from Jimmy's life, Jimmy's final descent and depraved acts of criminal lawyering -- I'm not sure you should watch for the rest of the show.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
is it really that much sleazier than his fake matlock-esque put-on he does with the elderly in the first place?
Of course. Even if he's fake-nice to the elderly, at least he's not hurting them and was still looking out for their best interests (so long as it served his, sure) despite being manipulative. This time, he actively harmed Irene, and felt absolutely no remorse or guilt about it -- he was even buying booze to celebrate his "win".

mxgt

Banned
That cut at the end was perfection, damn.

Jimmy is now officially in unlikable scumbag territory for me now, I felt so fucking bad for Irene in this ep.

Veelk

Banned
-- what i would point out is that this first real vile slip immediately follows his severed relationship with Chuck, his suspension from the bar, and an immediate need for cash after failing with his ad business. yeah it's gross and dirty but 1) we are talking about a ton of money here and 2) is it really that much sleazier than his fake matlock-esque put-on he does with the elderly in the first place?

Yes. The persona Jimmy puts on is fake in the sense that it doesn't convey his actual personality, but he was legitimately working as their real lawyer and looking out for their interests (because at the time they were his interests as well, but still)

This is different as it's Jimmy poisoning an innocent old lady's social sphere by spreading false rumors about her. He's ruining her relationships, which aren't just going to be fixed once he gets what he wants.

Of course. Even if he's fake-nice to the elderly, at least he's not hurting them and was still looking out for their best interests (so long as it served his, sure) despite being manipulative. This time, he actively harmed Irene, and felt absolutely no remorse or guilt about it -- he was even buying booze to celebrate his "win".

While I agree with most of this, I do think he felt guilt about how he was doing things. He kept giving her looks and making faces that indicated guilt. His celebration, and his insistence that someone celebrate with him, is him trying to force himself to see this as a positive achievement instead of...well, what it is.

That's how I interpret it anyway. It feels like he's now trying his best to kill his conscience.

And it should be noted that as sleazy as he was, he never quite fully killed it off, not even in Breaking Bad. He was angry and resentful at the start of Season 5 that he gave Walt poison and wouldn't have done so if he knew it was for a child, for example.

Edit:

Look at his face when he finally gets to celebrating his scheme:

He doesn't look very satisfied to me.

Felt so sorry for the old lady :(

It's terrifying to me this still hasn't been renewed, going to be devastated if it is cancelled. Easily one of my favourite shows. The pacing, acting and cinematography are all brilliant.

Dosia

Felt so sorry for the old lady :(

It's terrifying to me this still hasn't been renewed, going to be devastated if it is cancelled. Easily one of my favourite shows. The pacing, acting and cinematography are all brilliant.

No kidding. It better get renewed.

Einchy

I wasn't worried about it getting renewed but season 3 got announced 5 episode into season 2, and the ratings have been lower than 2's all season, so...I dunno...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Goddamn, what a rollercoaster of an episode. My heart was in my throat at that ending. Perfect editing work. I like how it was slightly similar to how they did Kim taking a 5 minutes nap in a previous episode.

The Irene situation is the first time I found Jimmy to be truly despicable, probably because there was nothing "fun" about his antics for me as a viewer in this instance. There was always something engaging about the bad shit he pulled before that would get me on board as a spectator, but not this time. That's clearly deliberate though, obviously. It was bound to happen as it's the whole premise of the show.

riotous

Banned
I wasn't worried about it getting renewed but season 3 got announced 5 episode into season 2, and the ratings have been lower than 2's all season, so...I dunno...

Shows with worse ratings have been renewed by AMC; even with the ratings tumble this Season 3 of BCS is still pretty close to Preacher Season 1, and Preacher must be a much higher budget show.

But yeah hard not to be nervous considering the lack of announcement.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Plus in making one old lady cry, he made a lot of other old ladies happy by getting their money to them.

My only issue with that is they were already happy. They had their chair yoga group and seemed pretty content. Jimmy upset them to put pressure on Irene. Even before the Sandpiper case they weren't upset, they didn't even know they were getting screwed.

BizzyBum

This is the best show on TV right now, it's mind boggling the ratings are low.

Haven't much less notable shows been renewed on AMC? I don't know much about the TV business, but it seems hard to imagine they'd cancel a show by Vince Gilligan, especially considering how Breaking Bad itself didn't get into the full viewership swing itself until its fifth season or so.

this is the first time i really hated jimmy with the fury of a thousands suns, it broke my heart
when the old lady broke into tears

also at the end of the day Howard seems like the victim of both brothers, i hope he wins in the end. dude is solid

BunnyBear

It's going to be fine. Don't worry about it.

You're the expert here and I respect your perspective, but it's worrying nonetheless. To me it seems that Sony/AMC are waiting until the end of the season and will decide whether to sign off on 4 after a careful examination of how it performed in the ratings this season, which inexplicably is not good.

Say what you will but they greenlit S3 halfway through S2. For it to take this long means there's consternation in the ranks.

Even Howard was basically forcing Chuck into retirement this episode.

Because Chuck needs to lay his old ass down and chill out before he starts complaining about clothing infetterance and strips naked in a courtroom.

And Howard looked so happy for his friend when he saw the letter too smh. He was setting up a great celebration for his bro and then got stabbed in the back like that. Shameful.

But man was it was great to see him chew Jimmy out. Howard ain't taking anyone's shit anymore!

Top Bottom