• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Haven't much less notable shows been renewed on AMC? I don't know much about the TV business, but it seems hard to imagine they'd cancel a show by Vince Gilligan, especially considering how Breaking Bad itself didn't get into the full viewership swing itself until its fifth season or so.

Yep. Halt & Catch Fire is gonna make it to Season 4. Turn: Washington's​ Spies also, making it to Season 4. And those shows are generally ignored by critics and in the ratings. If AMC was tightening their belt, I feel like Into the Badlands and Preacher would be out the door before Better Call Saul.

riotous

Banned
You're the expert here and I respect your perspective, but it's worrying nonetheless. To me it seems that Sony/AMC are waiting until the end of the season and will decide whether to sign off on 4 after a careful examination of how it performed in the ratings this season, which inexplicably is not good.

Say what you will but they greenlit S3 halfway through S2. For it to take this long means there's consternation in the ranks.

Or tbey could be working out tbe details of contracts.

_Nemo

lol I fucking LOVED Howard this episode. He was done taking everyone's shit and finally gave ppl a reality check. He's a bro.

Jimmy has finally crossed the line for me. I understood everything he had to do (even if it wasn't moral), but taking advantage of old women just so he could get his payout and disregarding the fallout.

Also, funny that Chuck is still playing that fake healing card considering his reaction after Howard left was anything but feeling better.

jonezer4

You're the expert here and I respect your perspective, but it's worrying nonetheless. To me it seems that Sony/AMC are waiting until the end of the season and will decide whether to sign off on 4 after a careful examination of how it performed in the ratings this season, which inexplicably is not good.

Say what you will but they greenlit S3 halfway through S2. For it to take this long means there's consternation in the ranks.

I suspect they're waiting to get final numbers before deciding whether or not they'll mandate S4 is the final season.

Final seasons, when announced and planned, for critically acclaimed TV shows, are generally ratings monsters. Look at Better Call Saul's predecessor. It would be shortsighted to cancel the show outright and leave that money/exposure on the table.

its one thing to kill a person
it's one thing to have a person live in fear

But it's a complete other thing to strip a person of everyone that they love being with, to slowly strangle their relationships with other people, until they're nothing but a husk, sitting alone.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man I fucking LOVE watching Jimmy work. Master manipulator. Favorite part of the episode. Ending was predictable but still packed the punch with that final shot.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Of course. Even if he's fake-nice to the elderly, at least he's not hurting them and was still looking out for their best interests (so long as it served his, sure) despite being manipulative. This time, he actively harmed Irene, and felt absolutely no remorse or guilt about it -- he was even buying booze to celebrate his "win".

Just like after his win with Chuck. Kim even foreshadowed this with her comment to her friend. They tore down a sick and elderly man. Then Jimmy tore down an elderly woman.

riotous

Banned
I found it all a little hokey to be honest; relied on Irene being completely witless and almost child-like simple, and her friends being completely petty.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just like after his win with Chuck. Kim even foreshadowed this with her comment to her friend. They tore down a sick and elderly man. Then Jimmy tore down an elderly woman.
It's far worse. Chuck was a jerk, and actively harmed Jimmy before and screwed him over many times. That old lady was 100% innocent and a total sweetheart.

#teamIrene :(

Just finished watching the latest episode, and honestly, fuck Jimmy. What a shit thing to do to that woman. I'm glad his punk ass is working at a Cinnabon. And poor Kim. She overworked herself. Hope she can bounce back.

It's going to be weird just watching Saul fuck people over and be a sleaze for an entire season, assuming there is another season. They'll be able to ramp up the stakes as he does shadier things I'm guessing, but it will be odd not having someone to root for. Really came to like Jimmy but those days are gone now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Better Call Saul's ratings are about on par with Breaking Bad's first two seasons' ratings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Breaking_Bad_episodes

Why is everyone worrying?
Not even comparable. AMC was just getting into drama at that point. It's a totally different network now.

That said, I wouldn't be worried about S4. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement of two more seasons and that's it. We'll see.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
While I agree that Jimmy's actions were despicable, is not one person going to stand up and call out those old ladies for turning on their friend so easily?

KarmaCow

While I agree that Jimmy's actions were despicable, is not one person going to stand up and call out those old ladies for turning on their friend so easily?

It was pretty dumb that seemingly none of them talked to her about settling. They gave her the cold shoulder immediately.

Ploid 3.0

I was freaking out when the car started to roll towards the oil thing. I knew something like that might happen. I was expecting her to just try to drive out after putting the wood in front of the tire. Then she wrecks at the end :( Poor Kim.

Poor Preacher, there was so much hype around it and then it kinda all just fizzled.

Sometimes being an awful show will do that to you. Then again, sometimes you're an awful show and you're Walking Dead and a massive hit, so who knows?

That said, I wouldn't be worried about S4. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement of two more seasons and that's it. We'll see.

Yeah I think two more seasons, or one large order (14-16 episodes) airing over two years MM/BB style, is the most we'll get out of the show which is fine by me. BCS is great but I'm always glad to see a show end before it starts to diminish in quality.

Veelk

Banned
Question: Has any critic of substance written about the difference of fan reaction to Kim Wexler and Skyler White.

I don't feel there is much to write about. There is a massive difference both regarding how their characters are positioned in the story and how they are written. But most importantly, the culture is different for how female characters are perceived these days. Atleast a little.

While I'm sure that wasn't your intention, I feel like many people would frame that kind of exploration as a vindication. "See? This is a female character I like, so I wasn't being sexist when I called Skyler a nagging bitch!"

Edit: Well, I take that back. There is an honest exploration to be done with regards to how Kim is written vs how Skyler was. The most significant aspect of that being how Kim is in charge of her own life and career path, meaning she can be largely unconcerned with Jimmy fucking shit up unless she wants to be. Meanwhile, Skyler was a pregnant full time stay at home mom whose been married to walt for some 20 odd years. Their relationship is by its very nature more co-dependent than Kim and Jimmy's and Skyler simply cannot ignore Walt's misadventures the way Kim is free to. That is a compare and contrast worth exploring. But then again, that has little to do with fan reaction so much as exploring the writing itself, so it might not be what your looking for, but that's what I'd look into.

I don't feel there is much to write about. There is a massive difference both regarding how their characters are positioned in the story and how they are written. But most importantly, the culture is different for how female characters are perceived these days. Atleast a little.

While I'm sure that wasn't your intention, I feel like many people would frame that kind of exploration as a vindication. "See? This is a female character I like, so I wasn't being sexist when I called Skyler a nagging bitch!"

No, I really mean no intention in my question other than I wonder if someone wrote about the differences and similarities to the main female characters in each show and how the fans are reacting. Definitely not trying to excuse the people who hated Skyler (because those people were mostly loons and asses).

Veelk

Banned
No, I really mean no intention in my question other than I wonder if someone wrote about the differences and similarities to the main female characters in each show and how the fans are reacting. Definitely not trying to excuse the people who hated Skyler (because those people were mostly loons and asses).

Well, not that I know of. Ask Cornballer, he keeps up to date on stuff written about this show.

rekameohs

Banned
Question: Has any critic of substance written about the difference of fan reaction to Kim Wexler and Skyler White.
The biggest hurdle that they created with Skyler was characterizing her in the early part of the show, especially Season 1, as an antagonist to Walt. The whole pilot is meant for the audience to sympathize with Walt, and part of that was making Skyler so emasculating.

They then in the later seasons (effectively, in my opinion), they attempt to morph her into a sympathetic victim. Part of the show's mission statement is to change the audience's perception of a character: in this show, just take a look at Howard, and at Chuck, and now at Jimmy. But a lot of people couldn't get over how Skyler seemed at first, and whether that tells you there's a fundamental issue about the way people react to women - fictional or otherwise - then feel free to think that. I do think that there is some element of that in a chunk of the fan base, yes.

not that Jimmy was ever an avatar of honesty and goodness, but holy shit, i cannot remember the last time i was so pissed watching something. heartless monster.

Veelk

Banned
The biggest hurdle that they created with Skyler was characterizing her in the early part of the show, especially Season 1, as an antagonist to Walt. The whole pilot is meant for the audience to sympathize with Walt, and part of that was making Skyler so emasculating.

They then in the later seasons (effectively, in my opinion), they attempt to morph her into a sympathetic victim. Part of the show's mission statement is to change the audience's perception of a character: in this show, just take a look at Howard, and at Chuck, and now at Jimmy. But a lot of people couldn't get over how Skyler seemed at first, and whether that tells you there's a fundamental issue about the way people react to women - fictional or otherwise - then feel free to think that. I do think that there is some element of that in a chunk of the fan base, yes.

I would say that even Season 1 people weren't reasonable with Skyler.

The only reason Skyler is an 'antagonist' is because Walt pre-emptively made her one by the fact that he lies to her, and her finding out about the lies (even before she finds out about the drug making) means that they are at odds.

Not to mention that her 'emasculating' isn't anything like that at all. She never diminishes Walt intentionally and works to do a lot to ensure his happiness. Like the whole birthday party thing, she goes out of her way to do for him. He's got self esteem issues and some things she does can be controlling or unintentionally annoying, but those are just human failings. She was always working from a place of good intent. I noticed this back when I watched the first episode of Fargo, and that series has a nagging wife character that truly engaged in passive aggression and demeaning wordplay. Skyler never did any of that. From episode 1, she only ever wanted the best for Walt. Walt's problem is that he just wanted money and to have a sense of control over his life. But she wasn't never the one who took that away from him.

gun_haver

People can justify Skylar's character all they want but I think it's pretty obvious she was created as a caricature and primarily as a foil for Walt's activities, which is the central thrust of the show, so they (perhaps unwittingly) set things up for people to not like her and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with her being a woman, but of course many people as very simple and stupid about these kinds of things so you got comments like 'nagging bitch'. It's best to ignore voices from the sewer. Early on she simply represents the product of Walt's frustrated ambition. People forget how broad of a character she was in S1, because she shifted a lot towards being more intelligent and capable, and not just a clueless, judgmental suburbanite.

I'd say the transition never really fully worked, I mean she was more interesting later, but it always felt like they were trying to salvage what was really a fairly one dimensional character. Same with Marie, except with Marie they just dropped all of her storylines that didn't involve Hank. See, nobody hates Marie, because she barely existed for most of the show.

Breaking Bad wasn't about the women in the story. That is how it was designed.

Kim's in a different league, character wise. She's got her own entire thing going on and her relationship with Jimmy has never been the sole focus of her character, she's multi-faceted and has her own story going on at the same time. You could easily replace Jimmy from her story and replace it with some other instigating events, and most of her character would remain intact, because she's got her own motivations. She's the co-lead of the show along with Jimmy and Mike.

I think what I'm trying to say here is - you don't need to defend Skylar or else be doing a disservice to women in fiction. Skylar was poorly written at the beginning and positioned in such a way that yes she is an 'antagonist' to the show's plot going ahead. This is what the writers chose to do. As the show went on, they kind of realised they got that wrong and her character changed, but she could only be salvaged as a character so far. Breaking Bad isn't perfect, y'know?

Veelk

Banned
I think what I'm trying to say here is - you don't need to defend Skylar or else be doing a disservice to women in fiction. Skylar was poorly written at the beginning and positioned in such a way that yes she is an 'antagonist' to the show's plot going ahead. This is what the writers chose to do. As the show went on, they kind of realised they got that wrong and her character changed, but she could only be salvaged as a character so far. Breaking Bad isn't perfect, y'know?

I don't want to get too deep into this debate because I haven't seen the first season of BB in years and I don't feel like talking BB too much in this thread anyway.

But from what I remember, I disagree completely. Writers faults, if they have them, tend to be ubiquitous throughout the show. You can either write a compelling character or you can't, and they wouldn't have been able to write Walt well if they couldn't write his most significant relationship well. Which is why "Just kill off X character" never actually fixes show's problems. Because it's never the characters, it's the writers.

Her arc is definitely slower than Walts since she's kept in the dark most of the game and is a side character (if a significant one) to Walt's major character status, but she still came off as a fully realized human being to me with her own mindset and mentality that both played off Walt in different ways. That's good character writing.

Knew that was gonna happen with Kim with how hard she was working but goddamn at that cut. Jimmy is a desperate asshole. Chuck is gonna get fucked.

gun_haver

I don't want to get too deep into this debate because I haven't seen the first season of BB in years and I don't feel like talking BB too much in this thread anyway.

But from what I remember, I disagree completely. Writers faults, if they have them, tend to be ubiquitous throughout the show. You can either write a compelling character or you can't, and they wouldn't have been able to write Walt well if they couldn't write his most significant relationship well. Which is why "Just kill off X character" never actually fixes show's problems. Because it's never the characters, it's the writers.

Her arc is definitely slower than Walts since she's kept in the dark most of the game and is a side character (if a significant one) to Walt's major character status, but she still came off as a fully realized human being to me with her own mindset and mentality that both played off Walt in different ways. That's good character writing.

Yeah I don't wanna side track into it too much either, I suppose this was just a latent thought I had since Breaking Bad finished. I rewatched S1 and was kinda surprised by how broad some of it is, and that includes Skylar, but also other parts. It does get better quite quickly, though.

Anyway, you disagree, no problem!

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah I don't wanna side track into it too much either, I suppose this was just a latent thought I had since Breaking Bad finished. I rewatched S1 and was kinda surprised by how broad some of it is, and that includes Skylar, but also other parts. It does get better quite quickly, though.

Anyway, you disagree, no problem!
One of my few problems with Breaking Bad is the characterization of all the non-Walt characters in Season 1. They are very thin. But pretty much immediately in Season 2, it gets much better! (Hank's panic attacks, Jesse and Jane, etc.)

Top Bottom