• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Microsoft and Sega as publishers, which one has the better lineup of games/IPs?

Between Microsoft and Sega as publishers, which one has the better lineup of games/IPs?

• Total voters

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Microsoft has the better IPs, although that falls on the strength of owning Activision and Bethesda.

Who do I trust to do more with their IPs…?

Probably Sega, but not by much.

They’ve both done a shit job in the last 10 years.

If I'm being honest, these are probably the two publishers whose games I care about the least in the industry, at least out if the "main" ones. Like out of all you listed, I don't really care for those franchises. The lone exceptions are CoD, but that's been a dying IP for me. Seem to like a CoD entry like once every 4 years at this point. Also persona, I feel like Atlas does a good job with that IP (although I am newer to the franchise so some persona vets might disagree).

Ultimately though I vote Sega. I trust them more. Xbox in their whole existence has basically ruined devs and IPs.

Last edited:

LastBattle

Microsoft any day of the week. This is coming from a massive Sega fan bag in the day. Microsoft is on a whole other level.

Edmund

Imagine having a 10 inch dick and knowing your pre-puberty little brother has a 1 inch dick that can hardly get erect yet and you ask your friends whose dick is bigger.

This is either a thread to secretly gloat about how much IP Microsoft now owns or just an extremely stupid thread.

Last edited:

schaft0620

It's not even close.

Microsoft:
Halo
Gears
Call of Duty
Doom
Crash
Spyro
Overwatch
WoW
Starcraft
Wolfenstine
Mechassult
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Quake
Banjo
Conker
Sea of Thieves
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Starfield
Hi Fi Rush
The Evil Within
Fable
Flight Sim
Perfect Dark
Hellblade
Forza
Blinx
Physconauts
Grounded
The Outer Worlds
Killer Instinct
Age of Empires
Candy Crush
Some small little game called Minecraft

Sega:
Sonic
Outrun
Shenmue
Knights
Chu Chu Rocket
Phantasy Star
Yakuza
Sega Rally
Sega GT
Toe Jam and Earl
Altered Beast
Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi
Persona
Virtual Fighter
Streets of Rage
Shinobi
Total War
SMT
Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe
House of the Dead
Samba De Amigo
Space Channel 5

IAmRei

Sega? I even love more to sega than nintendo, if they make one console again, definetely will buy <3

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same. Although it's not just them, the biggest reason is Atlus. Where they go, I follow - ever since the PS2.
giphy.gif

MS without IP shopping would still have been somewhat competitive.

Now, I dont know what OP was thinking while making this thread.

But is thankfully redeemed cause GAF lives in a bubble.

Imagine having a 10 inch dick and knowing your pre-puberty little brother has a 1 inch dick that can hardly get erect yet and you ask your friends whose dick is bigger.

This is either a thread to secretly gloat about how much IP Microsoft now owns or just an extremely stupid thread.
Ok but… the majority are saying that the 1 inch dick is bigger?

Wulfer

This threads a joke! Two pages without Daytona USA mentioned for Sega. However, by default its Microsoft without question!

Hudo

As much as I like Sega, I have to say Microsoft without question. And it's not even close, I am afraid.

Age of Empires as a franchise alone has given me probably well over a thousand hours of fun. And still counting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As much as I like Sega, I have to say Microsoft without question. And it's not even close, I am afraid.

Age of Empires as a franchise alone has given me probably well over a thousand hours of fun. And still counting.
I spent countless hours on AoE2 back in the day but haven't played any new ones.

If I LOVED AoE2: The Conquerors, which one would you suggest I play now?

Hudo

I spent countless hours on AoE2 back in the day but haven't played any new ones.

If I LOVED AoE2: The Conquerors, which one would you suggest I play now?
I'd still recommend checking out Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. It's a very beautifully looking game and they've expanded it ever since. Lots of free updates and actually a handful of DLCs that are worth it (not all of them, tho). Bringing in new campaigns and civilizations.
You should also check out Age of Mythology: Extended Edition and the upcoming Age of Mythology: Retold (a complete remake of Age of Mythology). It's the second-best game Ensemble Studios have ever done.
After that, check out Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

Note: You can play Age of Empires 1 in the Age of Empires 2 engine with all the QoL improvements by getting the "Return of Rome" DLC. If you find that Age of Empires 1 is lacking in QoL and other RTS control standards (which is understandable).

Lastly, I would also recommend checking out Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. Rise of Nations was made by Brian Reynolds (Civilization II, Alpha Centauri) and essentially is another take on the combination that has been first tried with Age of Empires: Civlization + RTS. But Rise of Nations has a much grander scale and goes a bit harder in the direction of Civilization with its mechanics. But it works.

Three

Ok but… the majority are saying that the 1 inch dick is bigger?
It has girth.

But honestly this asks which has a better lineup of games so it's all subjective on what games you like. It's not who has more IPs or more popular IPs. I can see why people vote Sega. If it were the general public though I suspect the majority would vote MS with Minecraft and COD.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
SEGA have created a ton of legendary games and series, and they have at their heart to make fun games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Same. Although it's not just them, the biggest reason is Atlus. Where they go, I follow - ever since the PS2.
I appreciate how Atlus schedules their game releases. They’re so thoughtful, planning them out for you, your children, and even your grandchildren.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd still recommend checking out Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. It's a very beautifully looking game and they've expanded it ever since. Lots of free updates and actually a handful of DLCs that are worth it (not all of them, tho). Bringing in new campaigns and civilizations.
You should also check out Age of Mythology: Extended Edition and the upcoming Age of Mythology: Retold (a complete remake of Age of Mythology). It's the second-best game Ensemble Studios have ever done.
After that, check out Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

Note: You can play Age of Empires 1 in the Age of Empires 2 engine with all the QoL improvements by getting the "Return of Rome" DLC. If you find that Age of Empires 1 is lacking in QoL and other RTS control standards (which is understandable).

Lastly, I would also recommend checking out Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. Rise of Nations was made by Brian Reynolds (Civilization II, Alpha Centauri) and essentially is another take on the combination that has been first tried with Age of Empires: Civlization + RTS. But Rise of Nations has a much grander scale and goes a bit harder in the direction of Civilization with its mechanics. But it works.
Thanks. I think I'll start with AoE2: DE then.

P.S. I remember playing Rise of Nations back in the day. It was quite fun. Me and my brother used to create this silly scenario where the other civilization just couldn't advance at all. They would just all be cutting lumber (like literally one piece of huge lumber, all. the. time), and we would start with modern-day technology, and just drop a B-52 bomb on that group of lumberjack.

We were young boys, and that used to crack us up all the time :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
But let's be clear that Sega is no big deal. If we compare Sega with Xbox from 2013 to 2024 we will see that Sega made less ambitious games than Microsoft, also Sega's best game is Bayonetta but it is with Nintendo.

If everything from Sega was in one place, I think it could stand a chance against the Xbox because Xbox has really lost its magic.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Sega? I even love more to sega than nintendo, if they make one console again, definetely will buy <3
prepare your money

I think based on guesses, that Sega will start a marketing campaign later this year announcing its return.
these are just guesses, I don't work at Sega.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Given those lists, how could folk seriously vote for Sega? 🤷

Nostalgia?

Full of sprite arcade games that had generally average ports onto old gen consoles, most of which haven’t been relevant for 25+ years.

Thats an easy one for MS.

Hero_Select

Given those lists, how could folk seriously vote for Sega? 🤷

Nostalgia?

Full of sprite arcade games that had generally average ports onto old gen consoles, most of which haven’t been relevant for 25+ years.

Thats an easy one for MS.
People here just REALLY hate Microsoft.

Pelta88

Why hasn’t that “I made this” meme been posted yet?

Op has a lot of purchased IP in the MS list to the point where the list itself becomes invalid.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As much as I love Fatlus and Yakuza it’s the one who owns Age of Empires, Doom, Forza Horizon, and Elder Scrolls.

Sega by far

I just wish they make new games in their JRPG franchises. Or better yet just make new JRPGs. Most of their JRPGs most of the time ends up being fantastic

SHA

You can't be just with Shenmue, you can't expect fair answers, but I'd say MS lineup even before xbox are better simply because of the choice I made back in the 90s, not because I only acknowledge either of them without the other, I just prefer PC/XBOX and everything that comes with it from 3rd party studios.

Last edited:

begotten

I like a little bit of what both have under their umbrella, but seriously when you look at those lists compared to Nintendo & Sony no wonder they were 3rd Placed for life.

Top Bottom