• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

I was listening to a podcast yesterday with a Prince insider and he mentioned that he spoke of how Prince thought Lady Gaga was a "trailblazer." I guess he was a lot sicker than he led on. Poor guy.
J9FYc2e.gif
All that no-mix lye hair relaxer burned into his brain

Should've remembered the petroleum jelly tbh

Didn't use the pink-colored activator after rinsing to make sure it was all out lbr

An Al Sharpton Lipton meSS

lklr5.gif

Logo_zpsxuclokxd.png

ABOUT THIS GAME:
This tournament will determine the community’s all-around favorite pop album. After an open nominations round, users will vote in a series of 1v1 and 2v2 match-ups that I’ll present.

WHAT ALBUMS QUALIFY FOR NOMINATION?
Pop is an inclusive genre, and as such there are few restrictions on what can be nominated. LPs, EPs, collaborative and soundtrack albums may be considered. To eliminate redundancies, live/concert albums and “greatest hits” releases will not be counted. (No “Immaculate Collection” here, folks! Sorry!)
There are no restrictions on genre or time of release, and there will be no limits on albums per artist (if you want to nominate all 6 Beyonce albums, you can).

HOW WILL THE MATCH-UPS BE CHOSEN?
Depending on the variety of nominations I receive, I may decide to categorize rounds based on general similarities such as sub-genre, solo vs group, decade released, etc. This grouping will be up to me and the finalized categories will be announced. Individual match-ups within these groups will be completely randomized, however. My role is to format the rounds in a logical and exciting way, not to rig or skew the game in anyone’s favor.

AM I PICKING MY FAVORITES, OR THE “BEST”?
That’s a stupid fucking question and you’re an asshole for asking it! “Best” has always been code for “favorite.” Pay no mind to reviews, sales, perception, or your own reputation. Music is personal and I want to know which albums you LOVE. In other words, nominating “Ray of Light” without having listened to it makes you a silly, silly goose.

HOW DO I NOMINATE?
Click the link below, and write in your 10 favorite albums (include both artist and album title please), then click submit. You’re done.
Depending on the breadth of responses I get, I will choose a few dozen of the top-voted albums and group them if needed. Albums with only one vote will not be qualified to move forward to the voting rounds.

I’M READY TO VOTE!
Click here: http://goo.gl/forms/JsXt0TF0ypJAaeca2

Now that's actually disgusting.
tumblr_npywxrTDuG1slj24go1_400.gif

He apparently believed that people shouldn't defined by their mistakes. I can see the sentiment, but I find it hard to believe that Gaga stans and straight people have worth. Maybe I should try to be more like Prince love y'all despite your flaws.

vz181Q1.gif

In other news, I am 40 today. I need to start making my final arrangements.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I personally wasn't a fan, but I think we need to include Beauty Behind the Madness as well.

#justiceforglassheart2012

yas

speak the truth

Honestly even though I loved Beauty Behind the Madness, it had maybe three hit singles...one of which was the 50 Shades song. If we include that we should probably include Bieber's new album as well.

You're opinion is pretty much the same as me tbh lol

LEMONADE is the first Beyoncé album I keep coming back to. Self Titled didn't click for me, save a select few, and her previous efforts didn't keep me coming back for more.

LEMONADE breaks that trend as it is Beyonce's best album of course. Such a cohesive album!

I love LEMONADE, its so fucking good. I still need to listen to self-titled...I skipped that and went straight to 4...and 4 was just okay, but still better than Ariana's new album.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Looks like Smeghan's new album bombed hard.
And some people had the nerve to say that she would become a major popgirl in no time.
catfish_mhissy_thats_sad_huh.gif

Eh...she could still do well. Maybe another single will hit it for her second album, though it is pretty bad. Her first album did quite well though for a freshman one. Three Top Ten Single, One Top Forty, and one feature that was a top ten favorite as well. She's the most successful new pop act in years tbh.

MrV4ltor

Homophobia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lil Monsters
pSOUE7z.gif

Probably accurate, lbr.
See you in hell tho.
tumblr_mh1tylrS681s1szpho1_500.gif

Eh...she could still do well. Maybe another single will hit it for her second album, though it is pretty bad. Her first album did quite well though for a freshman one. Three Top Ten Single, One Top Forty, and one feature that was a top ten favorite as well. She's the most successful new pop act in years tbh.
Her 2nd album's sales alone....Yikes.
giphy.gif

rhandino

Banned
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! Let me think really hard about my Top 10 albums... Ummm, Beyonce is twice in my list along with Shakira so far!

In other news, I am 40 today. I need to start making my final arrangements.
4nuKNqr.gif

I want too say that I hope you have more years in front of you and that the best things are to come but you are already dead in gay years
cry.gif

j/k of course, Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy the celebrations =3

rhandino

Banned
What about albums that come in 2 parts like Oral Fixation (Shakira) or the 20/20 Experience (Godstin Timberlake)? Do we put them as 1 single album or is valid to put them separate?

rhandino

Banned
cry.gif

Sorry Oral Fixation Vol. 2 but in between you, Vol 1 and Donde Estan Los Ladrones there is no contest and I need to put Vulnicura in my list.

Selecting only 10 is hard, why are my faves releasing so much quality? T_T

MANUELF

Banned
All ready with my submits, only submitted one album per artist and half of them were spanish albums
Gloria Trevi, La Quinta Estación, La Oreja de Van Gogh, Ha-Ash and one of my past faves Shakira

Koodo

Banned
Formation still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> else
You can't help but realize this song prolapsed every other girl in the game after witnessing it live.

Especially Spotify Frih and that loose bottom from Toronto. Life gave them lemons.

cnFySAX.gif

When are the nominations closing?

If I see that we have a lot of popular submissions (i.e. enough to start a tourney) then I'll set a date. I don't anticipate taking longer than a week though.

Make sure to participate sistren! Three albums are pulling way ahead of the pack and there are several surprising snubs atm. Click here and submit your faves. :)

llehuty

I managed to reduce to 5 the number of asian pop albums I nominated. And yes, I'm well aware that that nominations will go nowhere.

Still, really curious to see which ones are going to be the finalists.

And happy birthday rbd!

Soulscribe is it ok if I can do the list this weekend?

Also, you should do a thread about this in OT... Think it would be best to spread the appeal?

Happy Birthday Rob!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Not quite?

One's an undersized classic, one's a juicy blockbuster, and one gives us all the feels.

So vague!

Hmm... Undersized, you say? I'm going to go with The Fame Monster. For the feels, I'll say 21. And for a blockbuster...perhaps something by Beyoncé, early Britney Spears, or Mariah.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
-_-

Also, can you do BEST OF albums?

Nope.

WHAT ALBUMS QUALIFY FOR NOMINATION?
Pop is an inclusive genre, and as such there are few restrictions on what can be nominated. LPs, EPs, collaborative and soundtrack albums may be considered. To eliminate redundancies, live/concert albums and “greatest hits” releases will not be counted. (No “Immaculate Collection” here, folks! Sorry!)

-_-

Also, can you do BEST OF albums?

No Best Of's, Greatest Hits, or Immaculate Collections. They sort of carry an automatic advantage coz they're more of an artist showcase than anything else.

(To the sis who nominated the Immaculate Collection, I feel you but you're down one vote. If you PM me the other 9 you entered I'll let you add a 10th!)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, it's only pop albums? Boring.

Eh, the post also says that there are no restrictions on genre, so I think you can do whatever you want.

There are no restrictions on genre or time of release, and there will be no limits on albums per artist (if you want to nominate all 6 Beyonce albums, you can).

MrV4ltor

I just slipped and fell in the shower and I'm blaming it on the new 5th Harmony album which I was listening to.
Let me delete it.

if adele is anywhere on the nominations....i'm going to lose iT

Only one of her albums, but it's nowhere near the top rn.

RE: Undersized classic
(The Fame Monster)
, a juicy blockbuster
(Lemonade)
and one that gives us all the feels
(E-MO-TION)
. I'm a bad riddler because I lost my virginity while Batman Forever played in the next room.

Only one of her albums, but it's nowhere near the top rn.

RE: Undersized classic
(The Fame Monster)
, a juicy blockbuster
(Lemonade)
and one that gives us all the feels
(E-MO-TION)
. I'm a bad riddler because I lost my virginity while Batman Forever played in the next room.
Where the FUCK are UV and BTD???

I'm going to have to turn into Touchdown now

Top Bottom