• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

The controls seem disturbingly simple.

I hope this doesn't mean the game is seriously dumbed down.
Well for a story driven game they should be simple (=intuitive). Heavy Rain wasn't simple, but that wasn't necessarily a good thing. In terms of gameplay options Beyond is pretty on-par with Heavy Rain (or rather above it because of Aiden). It just controls better.

I haven't played on the phone, My girlfriend played it on there and just asked her, she didn't notice any lag, apparently it came up occasionally saying 200ms lag so I don't know if it only displays during lag spikes? I think even as a none gamer she would have noticed that. She's not a gamer, but she enjoys games if they're right for her, it all seemed very intuitive, the combat in particular was very good, She was terrible at heavy rain combat due to the the buttons, but the swipes are common across any device, no need to memorize button layouts.

we're about 3 hours into the game at the moment, It's really....cinematic, in a good way. There are a lot of big scenes with a lot going on, it couldn't really work if it wasn't on rails, You can't do much in the game play sense but there are times when despite only doing limited actions with Jodie it feels like your in control of the whole thing, the Action scenes are a step well above anything achieved by Heavy Rain as far as game play is concerned..
Very nice thanks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just played the demo. Aiden stuff seems neat/fun and the story has an interesting premise, reallllllly didn't like the right stick stuff. Felt extremely weird and the fight scene on the subway felt like it lasted awhile mostly doing nothing.

I'm still interested to check it out atleast. Hopefully I like it more than heavy rain.

Replicant

Some people are just born without favorable faces.

Ellen Page looks like she has down syndrome.

And that's an insult to people with down syndrome.

Apologies.

She is conceited enough to search for threads dedicated to her newest interactive movie so I can see why you would feel that way.

If you're going to be a troll, at least be original instead of stealing pleasechild's lines. Also, at least pleasechild has a fun username.

Anyway, mods alerted. It's an interesting coincidence that these two are posting at the same time. With luck maybe their IP addresses will reveal a 3rd personality.

ZombyWulf

Banned
Hahaha, this has to be a coordinated troll attempt. This is not going to end well. One rule already broken pretty much.

Because it's so hard to believe that there are two people out there who don't view Ellen Page as the second coming of our lord & savior, Jesus Christ?

Odrion

Banned
In a game featuring Ellen Page and William Dafoe, it's Ellen that people want to put a paper bag over? smh.

ZombyWulf

Banned
If you're going to be a troll, at least be original instead of stealing pleasechild's lines. Also, at least pleasechild has a fun username.

Anyway, mods alerted. It's an interesting coincidence that these two are posting at the same time. With luck maybe their IP addresses will reveal a 3rd personality.

I don't even know what a pleasechild is.

Can we please still on the topic of Beyond: Two Souls?

Thanks.

Skeff

Aiden POV reminds me of Predator's targeting laser. :p

heh, I see what you mean, Aiden is really an interest control/view method, it's actually nice to see fresh ideas in a game, I don't remember anything particularly like Aiden in any other games.

Reading this thread and seeing the exact same two juniors pretty much producing most of the content is quite funny: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83829013

Coincidence right? Not coordinated at all...

Because it's so hard to believe that there are two people out there who don't view Ellen Page as the second coming of our lord & savior, Jesus Christ?
No need to insult her. If you hate her so much, just don't play the game. That means you can leave.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My main concern is will the controls be overly complex like Heavy Rain was? Its more for my father, since he really was interested in Heavy Rain and the story, but the whole bullshit insanity with how the game played at times for someone whos a non-core gamer made it impossible for him to progress.

Do hope that its been improved with this title as it looks like a potentially great story to be had.

*Edit

In short, hope the devs have a casual mode.

*Edit 2

Since while most of us core gamers here at GAF have no problems with controls in games like these, to really get out to a larger market for folks who want to enjoy the narrative its really whats necessary for a unique title like this as the same with Heavy Rain.

Skeff

My main concern is will the controls be overly complex like Heavy Rain was? Its more for my father, since he really was interested in Heavy Rain and the story, but the whole bullshit insanity with how the game played at times for someone whos a non-core gamer made it impossible for him to progress.

Do hope that its been improved with this title as it looks like a potentially great story to be had.

It's very playable on a smartphone for a non-gamer. I'd assume also very playable on DS3 aswell, Much easier than Heavy rain for people who lack familiarity with console buttons.

Also when loading the game there are two options, Gamer and non-gamer.

DukeBobby

What parts did he have trouble with? If it was the QTEs during the combat sequences, then he has no need to worry, because it's all done using the right stick now.

*Edit

In short, hope the devs have a casual mode..
Does your Dad own a smartphone or tablet? If yes, then you are set. The game features a mode where you can play the entire game just with touch controls over your phone. You can even play together with him (co-op) using a DS3. It's a casual mode and is very simple and intuitive.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What parts did he have trouble with? If it was the QTEs during the combat sequences, then he has no need to worry, because it's all done using the right stick now.

*Edit 3
Apologies I just realized I totally fucked up and misread your post thinking it was first directed towards me and not the fact my father was playing. Sorry about that. Added a strike in the bottom.

Its not myself, but my father. As was watching him play and he really was having issues with a lot of the more complex motions with heavy rain and the speed of some of the QTEs and such, since hes not familiar with the PS3 pad to the point to do quick events like that.

He really likes games for stories so he bought stuff like LA Noire later which he also got stuck in, but was hoping that Heavy Rain at the time was going to be something he could enjoy turned out not as much due to getting stuck with gameplay mechanics. As interesting as the story was. So with my short time back visiting them in the US played through whatever I could with him watching to see the story.

Its similar to me wanting to tell him about The Last of Us, though I know there will be several parts in the game that will be far too frustrating regardless of how great the narrative is. D: Which is a damned shame, since that too is another great game that deserves to be played.

It's very playable on a smartphone for a non-gamer. I'd assume also very playable on DS3 aswell, Much easier than Heavy rain for people who lack familiarity with console buttons.

Also when loading the game there are two options, Gamer and non-gamer.

Fantastic this is exactly what I wanted to know. Am glad the devs took note as to one of the issues with Heavy Rain which is what I personally think blocked out a lot of potential sales with the title itself.

Does your Dad own a smartphone or tablet? If yes, then you are set. The game features a mode where you can play the entire game just with touch controls over your phone. You can even play together with him (co-op) using a DS3. It's a casual mode and is very simple and intuitive.

Very good to hear, since he does have a smartphone and tablet.

---

Thank you for the replies guys.

Its good to hear that there are improvements made and appreciate the honest replies once again. Might let him know about the title once I read up more on it from reviews / posts here and such.

Skeff

If the QTE's are on the right stick then that'll handle great on DS3 too, definitely a nice game for casuals here.(and hardcore too)

DukeBobby

If the QTE's are on the right stick then that'll handle great on DS3 too, definitely a nice game for casuals here.(and hardcore too)

There are still button prompts during certain parts (where you have to hold down several buttons, or tap a button repeatedly), but yeah, the combat sequences are definitely more casual friendly.

Skeff

There are still button prompts during certain parts (where you have to hold down several buttons, or tap a button repeatedly), but yeah, the combat sequences are definitely more casual friendly.

Cool, I'll have to give it a go as My girlfriend as been playing as Jodie exclusively with the app.

Top Bottom