• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

DukeBobby

I watched the first 60 minutes on youtube because I'm still not convinced. Yeah it didn't help, won't buy it. Seems way more linear than Heavy Rain + I'm not thrilled by the beginning of the game.
I can't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything.

The first 2/3 of Heavy Rain was linear as hell. It also wasn't very exciting at the beginning either.

The first 2/3 of Heavy Rain was linear as hell. It also wasn't very exciting at the beginning either.

And a lot of other games aren't exactly exciting the first hour or so. Persona 4 is a book for the first 4 hours almost.

Edit: to each their own though, but I hope anyone basing their opinion on a demo or the first hour of this game may give it a shot down the road when it comes down in price or perhaps even rent it.

I watched the first 60 minutes on youtube because I'm still not convinced. Yeah it didn't help, won't buy it. Seems way more linear than Heavy Rain + I'm not thrilled by the beginning of the game.
I can't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything.
It's your choice, but honestly I would wait for the reviews before writing it off completely. The first 60 minutes of The Last of Us are pretty much just "press forward to walk" and nothing else. The actual beginning of the game after the prologue is honestly pretty bad IMO compared to the rest of the (amazing) game.

Also, I don't want to spoil anything either, but there are definitely some scenes in Beyond that are going to be more open (likely even more open than Heavy Rain was).

Pro

1375564185548vfjq0.gif

Sold

I liked Heavy Rain. Except the part where I had to wash the woman's naked body. I was playing in front of my fiancee and she was like what the fuck are you playing.

Hopefully no sudsy Ellen Page boobs in this.

Has David Cage ever made a game that didn't include a gratuitous shower scene?

And, of course, the one time I want to see digital boobies he denies me the pleasure.

It's only gratuitious if you think that somehow a shower is something inappropriate to have on screen.

By the way, the last time the French made a movie with boobs during a shower scene, it won an Oscar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm surprised about the smartphone controls, that Sony would allow that as an input - not being a licensed peripheral etc. good though.

I liked Heavy Rain. Except the part where I had to wash the woman's naked body. I was playing in front of my fiancee and she was like what the fuck are you playing.

Hopefully no sudsy Ellen Page boobs in this.
Shower scene is optional. Just stay away from bathrooms and you should be safe :D

BigDug13

I only find it gratuitous because it seems like he does it just to appeal to young boys.

I don't get this mentality. Does all nudity only appeal to "young boys"? Is that why shows like Californication, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Orange is the new Black, etc have nudity in them?

I'm 39 and I like boobs.

Willem Dafoe shower scene confirmed?
I would hope so? Or maybe that's where the plot turns to shit this time. The story jumps through endless hoops to justify Aiden turning into a man, just that you can have a male shower scene before the game is over. Clearly, shower scenes are a higher priority on his list than a plot that makes sense.

I think this is the first time in years that I'll be purchasing a game from Gamestop. I need that Special Edition. The fact that it's priced the same as the standard is what really reeled me in.

Loved Heavy Rain despite some flaws. I know what I'm getting into with this game, and it appears to be a nice step up from Cage's previous games. I can't believe it's out next week.

Get excite!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's only not gratuitious if it happens as randomly with male as with female characters ...
In the very first scene of Heavy Rain you had to walk the guy into the shower. The similar scene with the girl was even optional.

I only find it gratuitous because it seems like he does it just to appeal to young boys.
It's more like that he's french and it's No Big Deal™ over there. I've seen shower soap commercials in Europe with more nudity on daytime tv than you'd see in Cage's games.

Kolma

Dammit, if only the game was 16.9. I hate those black bars even more now.

Seriously though, I wonder if they modelled the rest of the nude characters like they did in Heavy Rain: NSFW

Can't take any chances, we need 16:10
Also I'm sure the models will pop up online at some point
*Points @ Vanille in FFXIII*

Skeff

I have been playing this with My girlfriend, she has been playing as Jodie with her phone and I've been Aiden on DS3, its been absolutely great, one of the best co-op gaming experiences we've had, great fun so far.

It seems like Heavy Rain but better in every way and Co-op and using a phone as a controller.

The Combat system is very interesting on the phone, I expect similar experiences with DS4 touchpad, Games like this and the touchpad could really bring casuals from phone to console.

I have been playing this with My girlfriend, she has been playing as Jodie with her phone and I've been Aiden on DS3, its been absolutely great, one of the best co-op gaming experiences we've had, great fun so far.

It seems like Heavy Rain but better in every way and Co-op and using a phone as a controller.

The Combat system is very interesting on the phone, I expect similar experiences with DS4 touchpad, Games like this and the touchpad could really bring casuals from phone to console.
So latency is fine with the phone? What is your playtime so far? Impressions sound great dude. I imagined that the swipe controls would feel really natural to a non-gamer.

Skeff

So latency is fine with the phone? What is your playtime so far? Impressions sound great dude. I imagined that the swipe controls would feel really natural to a non-gamer.

I haven't played on the phone, My girlfriend played it on there and just asked her, she didn't notice any lag, apparently it came up occasionally saying 200ms lag so I don't know if it only displays during lag spikes? I think even as a none gamer she would have noticed that. She's not a gamer, but she enjoys games if they're right for her, it all seemed very intuitive, the combat in particular was very good, She was terrible at heavy rain combat due to the the buttons, but the swipes are common across any device, no need to memorize button layouts.

we're about 3 hours into the game at the moment, It's really....cinematic, in a good way. There are a lot of big scenes with a lot going on, it couldn't really work if it wasn't on rails, You can't do much in the game play sense but there are times when despite only doing limited actions with Jodie it feels like your in control of the whole thing, the Action scenes are a step well above anything achieved by Heavy Rain as far as game play is concerned.

Anyone who has the game how is the story? I loved the story for Indego Proph, and Heavy Rain.

3 hours in, seems good story, but I can't really say much...sorry I don't want to spoil anything, I'll let you know my opinion on the story more after I've finished it as I can't really come to a conclusion just yet.

Top Bottom