• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Beyond is currently trending ahead of GTA V on GameStop's best selling list. Doesn't say much, but at least it looks like it will sell decently.

Also, Quantic Dream has crazy fans in Russia. From the executive producer:

BVvB1IiIMAASPNr.jpg

Would totally buy.

Beyond is currently trending ahead of GTA V on GameStop's best selling list. Doesn't say much, but at least it looks like it will sell decently.

Also, Quantic Dream has crazy fans in Russia. From the executive producer:

BVvB1IiIMAASPNr.jpg

Would totally buy.

Reminds me of the Bernard Werber fans in Russia:

tatou2.jpg

Pretty much what I expected. Reviewers probably won't have any middle ground, either they like it or they hate it.

Even the Russians don't like David Cage.

EDIT: Just a joke, by the way.
Well, he never visits them and doesn't have a twitter account. De Fondaumiere is pretty much the only interaction they have with the company, so it's only fair to use his head instead :D

AlphaK

I definitely don't care about reviews when it comes to this game in particular. People will have their own agendas when it comes to David Cage and these type of "interactive adventure" games in general.

I played the demo and that's all i need to know that i'll probably enjoy it.

PureGone

Banned
I definitely don't care about reviews when it comes to this game in particular. People will have their own agendas when it comes to David Cage and these type of "interactive adventure" games in general.

Some reviewers wont care if the game is good or not. They just want to take a "stand" against these types of games for some stupid reason or another. Also with the David Cage hate going up since heavy rain i can see a lot of reviewers taking points off just cause they dont like the guy. or want to cater to popular opinion

hohoXD123

Expected Polygon review:

"This game filled me with so many emotions that I went into the foetal position and cried for a week straight. But it has QTE.

3/10"

Yep, we'll see some 9-10s, but also some 5-6s.

Should be very interesting.
Yup. Unfortunately what AlphaK said will probably also come into play for a bit. I expect some of the reviews to read like a review of David Cage instead of the game. "Cage thinks... Cage does...." through the entire review. I'm already scared how many results using STRG+F using 'Cage' is going to produce on some of them.

Doesn't look like Jim Sterling will be giving it a good review....:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/385744867319496704
He is not going to go below a 7 unless the game really dropped the ball. Trust me. He likes the games more than he admits on twitter.

exactly. some reviewers just hate on cage, therefore their perception of the game has already been tainted regardless of whether or not the game is good. they lament the staleness of the gaming industry today yet when something like beyond comes along they just make fun of it. these are the same peeps who would say, "you don't need high polygons and a high budget to convey emotions." all while giving titanfall some 60+ awards during e3. these reviewers praise gta5 and its "vision of of american culture through sarcasm" while everyone and their grandmothers know the people who buy and play gta5 look forward to the immature humour, explosions and violence. the same reviewers who shit on the "gameplay" on a story-focused game don't do the same on the story of a gameplay-focused game.

on the same note, devs who make fun of cage and his vision are the ones releasing the same old tired games. no wonder indies are the future, because in the aaa space, gamers won't find anything like beyond.

PureGone

Banned
Since they hired writers for their next gen projects, cage should pretend he is one of those writers, use a pseudonym for the games he writes and watch as the review averages start to suddenly increase and complaints about writing goes down.

Is anyone else going to play through the chapters in chronological order on their second playthrough?
You can do that?

The chapters are not in the chronological order?

Since they hired writers for their next gen projects, cage should pretend he is one of those writers, use a pseudonym for the games he writes and watch as the review averages start to suddenly increase and complaints about writing goes down.

But David Cage already is a pseudonym.

LordJim

exactly. some reviewers just hate on cage, therefore their perception of the game has already been tainted regardless of whether or not the game is good. they lament the staleness of the gaming industry today yet when something like beyond comes along they just make fun of it. these are the same peeps who would say, "you don't need high polygons and a high budget to convey emotions." all while giving titanfall some 60+ awards during e3. these reviewers praise gta5 and its "vision of of american culture through sarcasm" while everyone and their grandmothers know the people who buy and play gta5 look forward to the immature humour, explosions and violence. the same reviewers who shit on the "gameplay" on a story-focused game don't do the same on the story of a gameplay-focused game.

on the same note, devs who make fun of cage and his vision are the ones releasing the same old tired games. no wonder indies are the future, because in the aaa space, gamers won't find anything like beyond.

The possibility that the writing and characterization is just crap regardless of genre and vision, like the last 2 games and people will focus on that instead of just being predujiced is unlikely, eh?
Also, Beyond is nothing original in structure and way the game advances.
Just higher production values than usual.

Have we heard anything about DLC for this game?
Only the pre-order DLC (which is 30 minutes long and looks badass). Probably nothing more, because they don't want to break promises like they did with the Heavy Rain DLC.

Looks like the shower scene has made it on to Youtube.
And? How graphic is it? "Ellen Page censored™" as expected?

Is anyone else going to play through the chapters in chronological order on their second playthrough?
Me. Going to be annoying to switch back to the chapter screen each time, but at least it is sorted chronologically in there. But honestly they should have built in a NG+ mode with the option to just play them all in chronological order (looks like they didn't).

DieH@rd

Banned
The story plays out non-chronologically, but I imagine you can choose to play the chapters in order using the chapter select when you've finished the game.

Yes, in one of the Youtube videos, someone manually went and selected "Hunted" chapter [train sequence". There were ~20 chapters on screen.

PureGone

Banned
Going to go to gamestop now and ask a friend if he can get my pre order copy soonner. He told me they already got the games

The possibility that the writing and characterization is just crap regardless of genre and vision, like the last 2 games and people will focus on that instead of just being predujiced is unlikely, eh?
In the gaming space? I don't know another game that tells its story in the Beyond structure. It's certainly original. When you take movies into account then it is not very original no. Still hasn't been done very often.

Yes, in one of the Youtube videos, someone manually went and selected "Hunted" chapter [train sequence". There were ~20 chapters on screen.
But I'm pretty sure that afterwards the game continues non-chronologically again.

right...because where have we seen a character who was coping with his marriage fallout after his son's death? a cop stuck between his duties and his addiction? or a killer with
daddy issues
?

the type of stories in games we see today are the same old hero from a village who has something special inside him therefore he goes on an adventure to save the kingdom/country/planet/galaxy. people suddenly become so critical of how "crappy" the writing and characters are in cage's games all while playing the same characters and story setups year-in and year-out.

"beyond is nothing original" oh yes the same old ammunition by reviewers which they don't seem to remember when reviewing things like gta5 or some other highly-anticipated aaa title. just plain hypocrites. people who say "beyond is nothing original" act as if the overwhelmingly majority of games out try something new all the time.

right...because where have we seen a character who was coping with his marriage fallout after his son's death? a cop stuck between his duties and his addiction? or a killer with
daddy issues
?

the type of stories in games we see today are the same old hero from a village who has something special inside him therefore he goes on an adventure to save the kingdom/country/planet/galaxy. people suddenly become so critical of how "crappy" the writing and characters are in cage's games all while playing the same characters and story setups year-in and year-out.

"beyond is nothing original" oh yes the same old ammunition by reviewers which they don't seem to remember when reviewing things like gta5 or some other highly-anticipated aaa title. just plain hypocrites. people who say "beyond is nothing original" act as if the overwhelmingly majority of games out try something new all the time.
Good post. I don't care what kind of gameplay you have, just give me some original and interesting stories (I forgave Deadly Premonition for all its technical issues because its story was unique and emotional). Think outside the box. Creators have to challenge their fans, not satisfy them with the sequels and classic stories they ask for. Defeat people's expectations. Always be one idea ahead of everyone.

DukeBobby

Hmm, I'm still not sold on the idea of a non-chronological narrative in this game. Cage has enough problems writing a chronological story, so this could be a recipe for disaster.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

PureGone

Banned

Wow you already played AND beat the game.

Hmm, I'm still not sold on the idea of a non-chronological narrative in this game. Cage has enough problems writing a chronological story, so this could be a recipe for disaster.

It can work. Watch Irreversible or Pulp Fiction. Great films.

DukeBobby

It can work. Watch Irreversible or Pulp Fiction. Great films.

Yes, but those films were written by highly accomplished screenwriters, which is something that David Cage isn't, despite how much I enjoy his games.

EDIT:

He wrote it chronologically first and then decided how to mix it up. At least everyone I talked to loved this aspect of the game, even if they hated some other things about it. Apparently it makes things pretty exciting and tense. It is certainly ambitious for Cage's level, but I'm pretty intrigued by it to say the least.

Ah, that alleviates my worries a little.

He wrote it chronologically first and then decided how to mix it up. At least everyone I talked to loved this aspect of the game, even if they hated some other things about it. Apparently it makes things pretty exciting and tense. It is certainly ambitious for Cage's level, but I'm pretty intrigued by it to say the least.

PureGone

Banned
According to my friend the game has a digital manual and a around 3gb data download. I only have 500 mb free space left...

He also said the soundtrack is amazing

EDIT:

3GB install not download.

Bawahahhahahah. To people who finished it, how many chapters are there?

According to my friend the game has a digital manual and a around 3gb data download. I only have 500 mb free space left...

3GB is mandatory install not download.

Cheap ass Sony. The Heavy Rain manual was amazing. Oh well, not that this type of game needs it really.

Is the 3GB a patch? If so, probably the pre-order DLC. You just download an activation code to unlock it later on, which is like 3 MB. They did the same for Heavy Rain with the Taxidermist.

EDIT:
Install? That's pretty reasonable. Expected more.

Top Bottom