• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

imgur-2h7lo.gif

Platoon was a weird film.

about 1 and a half hour.
Yeah that's nothing. I mean I haven't played the game yet, but you have a long way to go.
I doubt the game is able to hold up this speed for the rest of the duration, so it eventually has to settle down. It's probably just a fast paced beginning, because people complained so much about Heavy Rain. If you aren't invested about 4 hours in then I would start to get a little bit worried.

xillyriax

For those that have it already, do you want a short list (either here or PM) of the trophies? A list being things I can remember.

LordJim

right...because where have we seen a character who was coping with his marriage fallout after his son's death? a cop stuck between his duties and his addiction? or a killer with
daddy issues
?

the type of stories in games we see today are the same old hero from a village who has something special inside him therefore he goes on an adventure to save the kingdom/country/planet/galaxy. people suddenly become so critical of how "crappy" the writing and characters are in cage's games all while playing the same characters and story setups year-in and year-out.

"beyond is nothing original" oh yes the same old ammunition by reviewers which they don't seem to remember when reviewing things like gta5 or some other highly-anticipated aaa title. just plain hypocrites. people who say "beyond is nothing original" act as if the overwhelmingly majority of games out try something new all the time.

1) You look at a very limited bubble if you consider your outline prevalent in most games released today. And yes, everything you mentioned has been covered. Just in adventure games throughout the years. I can already mention adventure games in recent years that cover certain themes Beyond focuses on much better.
2)Playing said other games, even if they had the writing quality you mentioned, does not mean people like it. Engaging gameplay is many times the reason to disregard shitty or minimal plot and characterization
3) Overwhelming majority beating a dead horse still does not make Beyond unique. And just being unique does not make it good in the first place.

1) You look at a very limited bubble if you consider your outline prevalent in most games released today. And yes, everything you mentioned has been covered. Just in adventure games throughout the years. I can already mention adventure games in recent years that cover certain themes Beyond focuses on much better.
2)Playing said other games, even if they had the writing quality you mentioned, does not mean people like it. Engaging gameplay is many times the reason to disregard shitty or minimal plot and characterization
3) Overwhelming majority beating a dead horse still does not make Beyond unique. And just being unique does not make it good in the first place.

1) oh please. the same argument can be said about every title there is. the point being, no triple a game is doing it, because no publisher is willing to risk that kind of concept using $20+ million of budget. now what, budget does not matter? it does. that is why gamers like lordjim and EmptySpace can have gta5 and tlou and all the other triple a titles the way they are because of production values, which is not there on indie games no matter how much their themes are supposedly superior. the fact that beyond exists in the triple a space, is actually getting hype and care, is something worth celebrating.
2) but people overlook and disregard it. why? because that is not the focus of the games, in the same vein that beyond and heavy rain do not focus on combos but people somehow do not care and just constantly shit on the "oh it is qte fest" crap.

3) oh please, beyond is unique. the only other game right now which does the same things as beyond is walking dead. lordjim can list all the indie games on steam but that same logic would render everything else to be not unique. bring up lucasarts games from 20 years ago is a cop-out because 20 years ago and now are two very different landscapes. the gaming landscape right now is not covered by platformers and point-and-click adventure games. games like dear esther are not unique, but no one shits on it or calls it out but suddenly "oh beyond isn't unique"? no one cares. the whole point is not whether or not the themes have been done before, it is the concept and the vision of the game of pushing narrative-based games into a larger audience and having as large a production values as the other video games. why should quantic dream stop with their vision just because some people think other games have done it better or some other crap? and why shouldn't audience get this kind of experience from a premium title and instead should just look at 20-year-old games or games made by two people without any proper soundtrack or graphics rendering systems or complex camera work?

Skeff

What other game can I play Time-split co-op with a controller and a phone?

Just checking quickly how we are doing in terms of hype compared to Heavy Rain.

It took the Heavy Rain OT 4 days and 12 hours to reach 700 posts.
It took us 2 days and 21 hours to reach the same goal.

I consider this an acceptable improvement :D

DukeBobby

Just checking quickly how we are doing in terms of hype compared to Heavy Rain.

It took the Heavy Rain OT 4 days and 12 hours to reach 700 posts.
It took us 2 days and 21 hours to reach the same goal.

I consider this an acceptable improvement :D

If it wasn't for us two, this thread would have far less posts.

If it wasn't for us two, this thread would have far less posts.

Only 3 pages less lol

But yeah I tell myself that you can't think this way. The Heavy Rain OT probably had some more active posters as well. Also not forgetting that the game had a shitload of positive reviews in its back weeks before the release. We are hyping with nothing here :D I imagine if the Beyond reviews are similar positive to Heavy Rain (which they likely won't be) this thread would pick up steam immediately.

How does the game compare to Heavy Rain? Coming from someone who hated it just to give you a frame of reference, though Beyond visually and VA-wise for obvious reasons seems to already fix some of the issues I had with HR. Mean more story-wise, without spoilers obviously.

How long is this game suppose to be?
Took one Gaffer 12 hours. Another one beat it in "more than 8 hours", although isn't sure how much more. Gameplay lead says it is between 10-15 hours depending on playstyle and choices.

How does the game compare to Heavy Rain? Coming from someone who hated it just to give you a frame of reference, though Beyond visually and VA-wise for obvious reasons seems to already fix some of the issues I had with HR. Mean more story-wise, without spoilers obviously.
Well then you are asking the only impossible question. Very few people have actually beat it yet and those who have can't talk about it in detail. So far everyone is saying that the story is good, although that doesn't have to mean much.

We can talk about everything else though (graphics, sound, music, gameplay, VA). The answer is everything is a notable step-up from Heavy Rain. If that's enough for you I can't say. Better play the demo.

PureGone

Banned
Done playing for the day, not sure what to think about. Definitely worth playing though, ill probably beat it tomorrow.

If you were otherwise okay with the style of game Heavy Rain presented and the way your button inputs influenced the character's actions on-screen, I think it's definitely worth giving it a shot from the sound of things. They improved just about everything with Beyond based on the previews I've read and first-hand accounts from people playing it now. The voice acting for example, is LEAGUES ahead of Cage's previous efforts.

I'm particularly happy that the screen tearing that was present in Heavy Rain is gone now.

Done playing for the day, not sure what to think about. Definitely worth playing though, ill probably beat it tomorrow.
So you are about 4 hours in? That's where it gets interesting, because the preview coverage ends there. So at least I have no clue how the story goes from there for the remaining 6 hours or so.

Well then you are asking the only impossible question. Very few people have actually beat it yet and those who have can't talk about it in detail. So far everyone is saying that the story is good, although that doesn't have to mean much.

We can talk about everything else though (graphics, sound, music, gameplay, VA). The answer is everything is a notable step-up from Heavy Rain. If that's enough for you I can't say. Better play the demo.
I'm guessing I'm asking more or less if Beyond right from the start feels like a notably superior narrative experience compared to Quantic Dreams' earlier stuff regardless of your thoughts on those games. The ending should obviously factor into that, but that isn't my only issue with HR with a longshot so it's not like that should be the only deciding factor for me personally on whether Beyond is better written than HR.

I'm not really able to get my hands on the demo yet at the moment either. I can overlook typical rough spots in a game like this if the overall story is strong (there's a few visual-novel style DS games I loved with zero voice-acting and static drawings which'll be the closest things you'll get to cutscenes), which in HR's case I really felt it wasn't.

If you were otherwise okay with the style of game Heavy Rain presented and the way your button inputs influenced the character's actions on-screen, I think it's definitely worth giving it a shot from the sound of things. They improved just about everything with Beyond based on the previews I've read and first-hand accounts from people playing it now. The voice acting for example, is LEAGUES ahead of Cage's previous efforts.

I'm particularly happy that the screen tearing that was present in Heavy Rain is gone now.
Yeah, I'm not really bothered that HR was rather minimalist gameplay-wise so to say, so Beyond continuing that style of design isn't a deal breaker at all for me. While not my core complaint with HR, I know it's pretty much a given Beyond's going to have a vastly better VA cast.

I'm guessing I'm asking more or less if Beyond right from the start feels like a notably superior narrative experience compared to Quantic Dreams' earlier stuff regardless of your thoughts on those games. The ending should obviously factor into that, but that isn't my only issue with HR with a longshot so it's not like that should be the only deciding factor for me personally on whether Beyond is better written than HR.

I'm not really able to get my hands on the demo yet at the moment either. I can overlook typical rough spots in a game like this if the overall story is strong (there's a few visual-novel style DS games I loved with zero voice-acting and static drawings which'll be the closest things you'll get to cutscenes), which in HR's case I really felt it wasn't.
Well, one thing I can say for sure. Nothing in the first hour of Beyond comes close to Press X to Jason. It's way less clumsy. However, Fahrenheit started out pretty good as well, so I can't say how it compares to that.

PureGone

Banned
So you are about 4 hours in? That's where it gets interesting, because the preview coverage ends there. So at least I have no clue how the story goes from there for the remaining 6 hours or so.

I'm at the part they showed off that the film festival earlier this year, don't know how far in that is.

jwk94

is the tv commercial the same as the trailer in the demo?

Good thing then that I just listened without watching. The TV commercial has seriously more spoilers than the Tribeca trailer?

The only trailer I've seen is the one at the end of the demo. Honestly, I wasn't interested in this game until I played the demo. The commercial itself wasn't spoilery until they end where they showed something that I'm guessing has a big role in the plot.

The only trailer I've seen is the one at the end of the demo. Honestly, I wasn't interested in this game until I played the demo. The commercial itself wasn't spoilery until they end where they showed something that I'm guessing has a big role in the plot.
So the trailer you watched at the end of the demo wasn't as spoilery as the TV commercial? Really glad I didn't watch it then.

Carl

Just played the demo. I gave in to temptation. I've avoided most media surrounding the game since it was announced and HOLY FUCK that demo was pretty intense. So beautiful. Ellen does a great job, and the controls are much better than in Heavy Rain.

Also, terrorising people as Aiden is too much fun. I want the game in my grubby mitts right now.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah that's nothing. I mean I haven't played the game yet, but you have a long way to go.
I doubt the game is able to hold up this speed for the rest of the duration, so it eventually has to settle down. It's probably just a fast paced beginning, because people complained so much about Heavy Rain. If you aren't invested about 4 hours in then I would start to get a little bit worried.

just to inform you pace being 5 hours in is still nonstop and I'm glued to the screen.

that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers.

just to inform you pace being 5 hours in is still nonstop and I'm glued to the screen.

that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers.
But you don't seem to say that as a negative thing. So as long as the game can back the pace up with good stuff I don't see any problem. Sounds pretty impressive though. However, I was also pretty glued to Heavy Rain even if nothing exciting happened lol

ViciousDS

Banned
But you don't seem to say that as a negative thing. So as long as the game can back the pace up with good stuff I don't see any problem. Sounds pretty impressive though. However, I was also pretty glued to Heavy Rain even if nothing exciting happened lol

oh no far from negative in fact it's amazing to see such amazing acting and screenplay unfold that just constantly goes....... it's more planned out this time because
you actually jump around the timeline so they always alternate a nice relax scene before putting you back on you toes again...... it's way better than heavy rain.

oh no far from negative in fact it's amazing to see such amazing acting and screenplay unfold that just constantly goes....... it's more planned out this time because
you actually jump around the timeline so they always alternate a nice relax scene before putting you back on you toes again...... it's way better than heavy rain.
Excellent. Actually a pretty clever way to control the pacing.

Leeness

People talking about the TV commercial...

Yeah, I just saw it and there seemed like there were things in there that I hadn't seen before and that looked pretty spoilery. To me at least.

The shot at the end of the TV trailer, I could speculate a lot about it. Haha.

tookhster

I can't wait for this game, being a huge fan of Heavy Rain. I know it wasn't for everyone but I felt it was perfect for me.

The only thing I don't like about this game is how the PR handled how much of the game they've shown. There is just so much footage from different parts of the game in trailers, events like the Tribeca Film Festival (Almost two hours of footage), TV Spots, gameplay vids, etc., that I kinda feel spoiled even though I'm not. I avoided watching some of the most recent videos, but the earlier ones were hard-to-miss, like what they showed during the PS4(I think) reveal. And during the "premiere" of the game, they opened up with the first 40 minutes of the game.....really?(I skipped it) I know I'm not being forced to watch it, but the overflow of released content really ruins some of the experience, I think.

I just hope there's more to the game that's already been shown. Besides that, I can't wait to pick up my sexy steelbook along with the soundtrack on Tuesday.

I was picked to try out the Beyond 2 Souls demo in an event by IGN. Apparently it'll be a different build than the demo, and I'll give my impressions later.

Event is starting pretty late due to logistic issues though. In any case I think I'll preorder the game anyway.

synce

People talking about the TV commercial...

Yeah, I just saw it and there seemed like there were things in there that I hadn't seen before and that looked pretty spoilery. To me at least.

The shot at the end of the TV trailer, I could speculate a lot about it. Haha.

I learned to avoid trailers/commercials a good while ago... TLOU commercial was ultra spoilerish too. Every time I saw it come on I had to rush to the remote lol

Beyond commercial spoilers:
The part where you see the face in the sky was one of the biggest WTF moments in the game for me, and the part with Jodie overlooking the city was epic too
Both moments would've lost their impact had I saw them in the commercial first

Leeness

I learned to avoid trailers/commercials a good while ago... TLOU commercial was ultra spoilerish too. Every time I saw it come on I had to rush to the remote lol

Beyond commercial spoilers:
The part where you see the face in the sky was one of the biggest WTF moments in the game for me, and the part with Jodie overlooking the city was epic too
Both moments would've lost their impact had I saw them in the commercial first

What is it? :O

No wait, don't tell me. :(

Great game so far. Have no clue how far I am, but I am at the
Navajo part
. Only complaint I have are the controls where you have to press the right stick in a direction to avoid getting hit. It seems kind of confusing often times to know which direction they want you to press.

RE_Player

Navajo part
. Only complaint I have are the controls where you have to press the right stick in a direction to avoid getting hit. It seems kind of confusing often times to know which direction they want you to press.

All I want to know is how is Willem Dafoe so far?

ClearData

It seems like the buzz is pretty good around this game? Maybe it'll be a sleeper hit. I really liked Heavy Rain but I'm basically torn between this and Batman AO for October's game budget. I really like that Gamestop steelbook case and after missing out on the Wind Waker HD limited edition I am mulling over a preorder tomorrow. What say you fellow Gaffers? Should I wait for the reviews or make the jump?

jwk94

It seems like the buzz is pretty good around this game? Maybe it'll be a sleeper hit. I really liked Heavy Rain but I'm basically torn between this and Batman AO for October's game budget. I really like that Gamestop steelbook case and after missing out on the Wind Waker HD limited edition I am mulling over a preorder tomorrow. What say you fellow Gaffers? Should I wait for the reviews or make the jump?
Jump! Just make sure that Aiden protects you first. ;)

LordCanti

I had to give in to temptation and turn on easy mode. The frustration of
not really knowing which way I needed to move the right thumb stick
was driving me absolutely crazy.

squall23

Watching some videos and seeing some screenshots makes think that this is what it would be like if a Jojo character didn't have complete control of his/her stand.

PureGone

Banned
I'm going to be really mad if the game gets points taken off for the difficult fight scenes, they are a little hard because my reaction time sucks but points shouldn't be taken off for that because there's a easy mode and an even easier iphone mode for people that find it too difficult.

Also for all the people judging the game by the demo scene. Every scene in this is feels different and unique, if you didn't like the demo one, there's a pretty good chance you will like some of the others. With that said I have a feeling the word "inconsistent" will be thrown around a lot come review day.

Navajo part

I had to give in to temptation and turn on easy mode. The frustration of
not really knowing which way I needed to move the right thumb stick
was driving me absolutely crazy.
It's very simple. You have a lot of time to watch her movement, don't be hectic and press a direction immediately, you will be punished most of the time. You have like 3 seconds each time. And there are some general rules that make it very easy to figure out the right direction:

-There are only 4 possible directions. Up, down, right, left

-It's only up when the camera is behind Jodie and she attempts to hit/block somebody in front of her (only during combat, outside of combat you sometimes have to press up to jump over stuff for example, but it's really easy to figure out since jumping is always up and dodge is always down)

-It's only down when her arms/hands are going down to hit/block or if she attempts to duck. If you are not sure, don't press anything and watch her movement a little bit longer. It always becomes quickly apparent if she is doing a downwards move or not

-In ALL other cases it is either left or right (mostly indicated by the camera being sideways from Jodie). You always press into the direction of Jodie's opponent, never away from them. Just follow along her foot/arm movement and you are fine. Left/right is used the most, so going with left/right in case you are not sure is most of the time correct

i did the train level already, and 2 level after that
If you are still at that point, then you are only about 1/3 into the story I think.

Top Bottom