• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Zemm

Playing now. Picked up an copy early here in LA.

- Man, that writing stings sometimes. Particularly the teenage party. Won't go into details, but while the general consensus is that 'kids will be kids', Cage forces the narrative into cartoon territory here. Some might argue that the cruelty is reminiscent of something like Carrie, but made absurd because it lacks either nuance or any kind of real rising tension. Sad. Could've been a great scene.

haha yes. This part was absolutely hilarious but it clearly was meant to be taken seriously.

From the impressions it seems like Cage took a big step towards perfecting his formula with this game.
I'm still having second thoughts but I'm really intrigued by the story and I enjoyed HR.
Got the special edition for 32 pounds at amazon.uk so I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth.

How would people that have finished it rate the story and acting on a 1-10 scale or whatever?

DukeBobby

I don't know why you would play Beyond for something other than the story. I've found the story satisfying but it depends on your tastes.

Strangely enough, I enjoyed Heavy Rain for its gameplay, and I expect it will be the same with Beyond.

As a huge adventure game fan, I loved exploring the various environments and interacting with everything. I want more teeth brushing and orange juice drinking. I loved that shit!! The attention to detail in Quantic Dream's games is superb.

The quiet moments in Heavy Rain were my favourite parts of the game, especially the ones with very little dialogue. If there's plenty of that in Beyond, I'll be satisfied.

Strangely enough, I enjoyed Heavy Rain for its gameplay, and I expect it will be the same with Beyond.

As a huge adventure game fan, I loved exploring the various environments and interacting with everything. I want more teeth brushing and orange juice drinking. I loved that shit!! The attention to detail in Quantic Dream's games is superb.

The quiet moments in Heavy Rain were my favourite parts of the game, especially the ones with very little dialogue. If there's plenty of that in Beyond, I'll be satisfied.

Lulz. I always felt like there was some kind of spiritual link to the Shenmue games when I played QD's games

I won't rate the story but the acting is a 10/10. It's the best I've ever seen and a huge step up from Heavy Rain.
Wow, most impressive. The acting in the TriBeCa footage seemed very solid to me, and the mocap fidelity, VERY impressive (especially the little things like flitting eye movements). I remember Page stating that it was the most demanding role of her career; glad to hear she delivered

Not surprised to hear this based on what I've seen but still good to know. So you think the acting is better than in TLOU?

You didn't like the story?

The acting (along with the amazing performance capture) is better than The Last of Us.

I liked the story but since it's quite original, some people will like it and some will hate it. Others will feel indifferent to it.

The Last of Us was directed with a very 'safe' style. While being a post-apocalyptic story with zombies, the look and feel was quite sober. I think they went for some kind of minimalistic, almost documentary-like style (I would dare to say 'Oscar bait').

Beyond: Two Souls retains David Cage's style, in the sense that it has spectacular moments (I don't like the word 'epic' but some scenes are epic indeed) and the story is supernatural to an extent (I don't think that's a spoiler, as the very existence of Aiden is supernatural). Some people might consider the epic action + weird, supernatural story + non-linear narrative as being over-the-top (I've heard the same complaint about Heavy Rain and for Fahrenheit as well, even though I haven't played it) and not as 'focused' as The Last of Us (Beyond's style feels less over-the-top than Heavy Rain, though).

However, while The Last of Us might be superior in terms of style, I think it lacks in substance. It pretty much boils down to classic zombie + post-apocalyptic tropes, a bit of The Road, a bit of Walking Dead and a bit of other things. It's a nice story, very well told, but it didn't leave me thinking nor did it move me emotionally (even in the end when Ellie almost died, I was like 'meh, whatever'). It didn't have Jodie Holmes.

haha yes. This part was absolutely hilarious but it clearly was meant to be taken seriously.
I wouldn't be too sure. Heavy Rain/Fahrenheit have some scenes too that sit halfway between serious and hilarious. Cage has a strange humour.

From the impressions it seems like Cage took a big step towards perfecting his formula with this game.
I'm still having second thoughts but I'm really intrigued by the story and I enjoyed HR.
Got the special edition for 32 pounds at amazon.uk so I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth.

How would people that have finished it rate the story and acting on a 1-10 scale or whatever?
You shouldn't ask for story ratings. It comes down to personal taste a lot. Computer loved the story, but it affected him on a personal level, so he won't rate it. You will get 10/10, but probably also 3/10 responses. Not really worth anything, you have to see for yourself.

Fabrik

Banned
I didn't like the chase sequence in the demo but I have to say watching the beginning of a walkthrough on Youtube, the story seems very interesting. It's fun to spook people.

Yeah, the intro to Heavy Rain didn't bother me one bit. I loved shaving, drinking juice, sitting in the garden for 10 minutes or finishing a painting. This type of interaction is not boring to me at all.

I wouldn't be too sure. Heavy Rain/Fahrenheit have some scenes too that sit halfway between serious and hilarious. Cage has a strange humour.

You shouldn't ask for story ratings. It comes down to personal taste a lot. Computer loved the story, but it affected him on a personal level, so he won't rate it. You will get 10/10, but probably also 3/10 responses. Not really worth anything, you have to see for yourself.

I shouldn't ask for opinions on story? Sorry but I don't see your logic here. Of course I'll get different answers from different people, that's what opinions are. It applies to stories the same as it does to everything else. Just curious to hear people's impressions.

Dragon

Banned
The acting (along with the amazing performance capture) is better than The Last of Us.

I liked the story but since it's quite original, some people will like it and some will hate it. Others will feel indifferent to it.

The Last of Us was directed with a very 'safe' style. While being a post-apocalyptic story with zombies, the look and feel was quite sober. I think they went for some kind of minimalistic, almost documentary-like style (I would dare to say 'Oscar bait').

Beyond: Two Souls retains David Cage's style, in the sense that it has spectacular moments (I don't like the word 'epic' but some scenes are epic indeed) and the story is supernatural to an extent (I don't think that's a spoiler, as the very existence of Aiden is supernatural). Some people might consider the epic action + weird, supernatural story + non-linear narrative as being over-the-top (I've heard the same complaint about Heavy Rain and for Fahrenheit as well, even though I haven't played it) and not as 'focused' as The Last of Us (Beyond's style feels less over-the-top than Heavy Rain, though).

However, while The Last of Us might be superior in terms of style, I think it lacks in substance. It pretty much boils down to classic zombie + post-apocalyptic tropes, a bit of The Road, a bit of Walking Dead and a bit of other things. It's a nice story, very well told, but it didn't leave me thinking nor did it move me emotionally (even in the end when Ellie almost died, I was like 'meh, whatever'). It didn't have Jodie Holmes.

Since you and I tend to have different opinions on games I'm glad to see this. Makes not buying the game right away vindicated :)

DukeBobby

Yeah, the intro to Heavy Rain didn't bother me one bit. I loved shaving, drinking juice, sitting in the garden for 10 minutes or finishing a painting. This type of interaction is not boring to me at all.

Yep, I loved that stuff.

One of my main issues with The Walking Dead was that every area felt cramped, and there wasn't really anything I could interact with, unless it was something that advanced the story. Sure, the story and characters were great, but I just didn't find it very fun to play.

Looks like we had very different experiences with TLOU. Someone playing through that game and not caring about Ellie is something I can't comprehend. Thanks for your impressions.

I shouldn't ask for opinions on story? Sorry but I don't see your logic here. Of course I'll get different answers from different people, that's what opinions are. It applies to stories the same as it does to everything else. Just curious to hear people's impressions.
Yeah I just think a story score is pretty useless, because you can't go into detail without spoiling. So you will either get "10/10 good story - it affected me", "5/10 didn't care for it" or "2/10 awful writing".

I mean it doesn't help you one bit, because you don't know the reasons without spoiling yourself. It might be alright to get some kind of overview, but honestly it will probably leave you more confused than before, since it is hard to grasp how people can find a story great and terrible at the same time.

Asking for opinions is great, but assigning a score to them is not really a good idea for the most part IMO.

Yep, I loved that stuff.

One of my main issues with The Walking Dead was that every area felt cramped, and there wasn't really anything I could interact with, unless it was something that advanced the story. Sure, the story and characters were great, but I just didn't find it very fun to play.
Honestly I was less than impressed with Walking Dead's game design. Heavy Rain is far ahead of that. The writing in TWD is much better obviously, but I'm really tired of zombies. So even if it wasn't an important point, it still kinda annoyed me a bit. Also it allows them to throw you into tense moments easily without much effort, so while the writing was much better, I don't like comparing them. Heavy Rain is a harder story to pull off.

UrbanRats

That was actually the good stuff.
The shit stuff was
the ridiculous chase on the roof with the Benny Hill SWAT, or the Villa shootout with Shelby.
This is not taking into consideration bad writing or plot holes or anything like that, just from a pure pacing/gameplay point of view.

I don't buy a game like that to have set pieces i can find done much better in Uncharted, and they were ridiculously out of place, given the context of the story.

DukeBobby

The shit stuff was
the ridiculous chase on the roof with the Benny Hill SWAT, or the Villa shootout with Shelby.
This is not taking into consideration bad writing or plot holes or anything like that, just from a pure pacing/gameplay point of view.

I don't buy a game like that to have set pieces i can find done much better in Uncharted, and they were ridiculously out of place, given the context of the story.

I agree, the action sequences in Heavy Rain were definitely the weakest parts of the game (although, as I mentioned earlier, I loved the Mad Jack chapter).

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed the 'Hunted' chapter in the Beyond demo, so I'm glad the action scenes are more enjoyable this time around.

The shit stuff was

These two scenes were pretty poor, but I still enjoyed them, because of tension. I was rooting for Ethan, so I was pretty much glued to the screen looking for the next prompt. I didn't even care what was going on, Ethan should just escape. So it didn't bother me that much. The Shelby scene was obviously hilarious and a nice homage to over-the-top action films while revealing something rather unpleasant.

Since the action scenes are much more competent in Beyond and serve as a nice distraction from the calm scenes, I don't really care about them. Maybe there are 1-2 too many, but I don't think it will bother me. And they stack up quite well to something like Uncharted this time :D

Yeah I just think a story score is pretty useless, because you can't go into detail without spoiling. So you will either get "10/10 good story - it affected me", "5/10 didn't care for it" or "2/10 awful writing".

I mean it doesn't help you one bit, because you don't know the reasons withoIut spoiling yourself. It might be alright to get some kind of overview, but honestly it will probably leave you more confused than before, since it is hard to grasp how people can find a story great and terrible at the same time.

Asking for opinions is great, but assigning a score to them is not really a good idea for the most part IMO.

I know what you're saying but since I don't want spoilers these superficial impressions will have to do for now. This game is all about story so I just want to know if people think it delivered or not. If there's a consensus that it's bad I'd be worried since the game doesn't have much else going for it.

If there's a consensus that it's bad I'd be worried since the game doesn't have much else going for it.
Yeah, you probably won't get that for a David Cage game, unless he really dropped the ball. No such thing as a "consensus" in this thread :D
So far it looks like it is 50/50 (but slightly in favour), similar to Heavy Rain. Since you liked that one at least a little bit I'm sure you will get enjoyment out of Beyond.

But you should get ready for some very unpleasant reviews. Many reviewers don't like Cage and what his games represent. Also some won't enjoy the story, just like here. Like Computer said, some other factors like religion might even come into play.

I know what you're saying but since I don't want spoilers these superficial impressions will have to do for now. This game is all about story so I just want to know if people think it delivered or not. If there's a consensus that it's bad I'd be worried since the game doesn't have much else going for it.

David Cage had the idea of Beyond after losing someone who was close to him. Since he's an atheist, he wanted to imagine what would happen after someone dies in a different way than the main religions. By that, I don't think he meant 'I have a super theory to explain death and I'll explain it in a video game', he just imagined an interesting yet fictional interpretation.

If that is the main goal of Beyond, I think he's succeeded. The game does provide an interesting enough answer.

David Cage had the idea of Beyond after losing someone who was close to him. Since he's an atheist, he wanted to imagine what would happen after someone dies in a different way than the main religions, through a work of fiction.

If that is the main goal of Beyond, I think he's succeeded. The game does provide an interesting answer. By that I don't mean that Cage came up with a super theory that would rationally explain the afterlife, just that his fictional version of the afterlife is pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm interested in that particular aspect.

Page is a great actress, I was impressed with what I've seen in the mo-cap footage, specially that scene where she calls him out on an inconsistency in the dialogue, that really shows that she took the job seriously.

Firefoxxx

Neo Member
I won't rate the story but the acting is a 10/10. It's the best I've ever seen and a huge step up from Heavy Rain.

I can't quiet agree with this. Although the graphics are absolutely jaw-dropping at times, I think the face-graphics/animations are missing something. Compared to TLOU they are more stiff f.e.

Although that's not the fault of the actors, it does influence the perception. I just wish the faces had the graphics from Crysis and animations from LA Noire... Well, maybe for PS4. ;)

Just finished the 'game' btw. It was good. Would give it a 8/10. I think my sister, who was watching me playing, enjoyed it much more than me ('Why do you stop playing?'/'Go play that game!'). That is something no other game has ever achieved. :)

I can't quiet agree with this. Although the graphics are absolutely jaw-dropping at times, I think the face-graphics/animations are missing something. Compared to TLOU they are more stiff f.e.

Although that's not the fault of the actors, it does influence the perception. I just wish the faces had the graphics from Crysis and animations from LA Noire... Well, maybe for PS4. ;)

Just finished the 'game' btw. It was good. Would give it a 8/10. I think my sister, who was watching me playing, enjoyed it much more than me ('Why do you stop playing?'/'Go play that game!'). That is something no other game has ever achieved. :)

The only time my wife ever stopped to pay attention to a game I was playing was HR. I thought that was interesting.

DukeBobby

Well there's nothing sad about using your tongue to make sure Nahman gets his fix :D

s7miCcC.gif

Odrion

Banned

I don't know if you can call a David Cage story original, as they are the same tropes and elements rearranged.

When was the last David Cage game to not have supernatural elements ? Or hell, a childhood flashback even? :p

I guess it's original compared to the rest of videogames though.

Sorian

Banned

Dat subtle stab

Stop that

The only time my wife ever stopped to pay attention to a game I was playing was HR. I thought that was interesting.
Play Beyond with her. She can use her phone :D

I don't know if you can call a David Cage story original, as they are the same tropes and elements rearranged.

When was the last David Cage game to not have supernatural elements ? Or hell, a childhood flashback even? :p

I guess it's original compared to the rest of videogames though.
He definitely re-uses some tropes. I haven't played Beyond yet, but I'm sure it will have some original ideas.

Awesome scene. Really worth it to not kill the religious dude just for this moment.

Micerider

Talking about performance capture :

Have they lessened the very "uncanny" look of the characters since the demo?

I found the acting better than Heavy Rain, but motion and expressions are a letdown as far as I am concerned.

Curious about the gameplay as well. It was HR's weak spot for me, but I prefered the implementation they had in Beyond's demo.

It is really beyond me why they don't release a PSN-version (yet?) and also still haven't released Heavy Rain on PSN.

I don't get that either. You'd at least expect first party titles to be available on the online store day 1, but nope. Same crap with Gran Turismo 6, no DD version (or at least not at launch).

Sotha_Sil

I'm curious to see how the reviews will go on this one.

There seems to be a lot of haters of Cage out there in the media. May sway reviewers towards the negative.

First review up on Metacritic is a 68/100. You can tell the author's opinion on David Cage right from the getgo:

Beyond: Two Souls is a seriously flawed experiment in interactive storytelling. Is there a game to be found? This reviewer is still looking. [Oct 2013]

I don't care what anyone else says, I think it's a perfectly valid type of game, especially when you consider the non-linearity. I played the "Hunted" demo twice, and it unfolded quite differently the second time. I can play Uncharted 3 twenty times and I'll have the same experience every time. Which title has more "game" to it? I might argue Beyond/Heavy Rain.

DukeBobby

First review up on Metacritic is a 68/100. You can tell the author's opinion on David Cage right from the getgo:

I don't care what anyone else says, I think it's a perfectly valid type of game, especially when you consider the non-linearity. I played the "Hunted" demo twice, and it unfolded quite differently the second time. I can play Uncharted 3 twenty times and I'll have the same experience every time. Which title has more "game" to it? I might argue Beyond/Heavy Rain.

Yeah, I saw this review earlier. I was going to post it, but then I saw the excerpt and decided not to bother.

Ridiculous.

Heavy Rain is quite possibly my favorite ps3 title next to uncharted 2, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Plus I'm a huge fan of both actors. Been a page fan since Juno and always been a huge fan of Dafoe's work. The fact that an awesome looking game combines the two is pretty exciting.

Yeah, I saw this review earlier. I was going to post it, but then I saw the excerpt and decided not to bother.

Ridiculous.

This is primarily why reviews are useless in my opinion. They are nothing more than the opinion of someone else no better or less equipped than yourself to judge the quality of a game, or even what you'll enjoy, so I hate when a certain bias against a particular kind of game has a huge impact on how fairly they review the game. I much rather find out for myself. The focus on metacritics are hurting the industry, imo. In my opinion, if you were interested in this game up to this point, or excited about it based on everything you saw, don't let a review stop you.

Acting 9 or 10. Story 6. Writing 5.

for what it's worth, arstechnica isn't going to give the game a glowing review, it seems.
Weird dude. Seems like he expected Heavy Rain 2 and is pissed off that he is not getting it. QD tries to implement better action scenes, but now they are pandering and not worthy of their pedigree anymore apparently. The other 50% of the game doesn't exist in his head. And he is not the only one who seems to rate the game based on expectations and not what it is.

Man, the reviews for this game are going to be absolutely worthless. Poor team though and they probably never want to make another action scene in their life, because of the shit they are going to read.

How old is your sister?

I'm wondering if I should play it with my kid.

On another note, does anyone know what language option each region/version will have? Is it too much to expect that every version will have English voices considering the big names they got to voice it?

pushBAK

Probly been stated, but I really appreciate how Aiden works. These beautiful environments can no be fully explored in incredible detail, not the mention the actions you can carry out. Superb work, and great last hurrah for the PS3.

Top Bottom