• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Weird dude. Seems like he expected Heavy Rain 2 and is pissed off that he is not getting it. QD tries to implement better action scenes, but now they are pandering and not worthy of their pedigree anymore apparently. The other 50% of the game doesn't exist in his head. And he is not the only one who seems to rate the game based on expectations and not what it is.

Man, the reviews for this game are going to be absolutely worthless. Poor team though and they probably never want to make another action scene in their life, because of the shit they are going to read.

it seems like the people who have been playing it early have loved it.

but the media peeps are not loving the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Talking about performance capture :

Have they lessened the very "uncanny" look of the characters since the demo?

I found the acting better than Heavy Rain, but motion and expressions are a letdown as far as I am concerned
I'm not sure what's there to lessen. Character expressions are overall for sure the best there is right now, far better than Heavy Rain, and second maybe only to best scenes in TLOU (and of course QD's own Sorcerer demo, but that's not a fair comparison)

I know this sounds dumb but can anyone confirm what the nudity is? My wife wants to see this game but if there is weird nudity like Heavy Rain I will just hear how bumb I am for playing games like that (I am abused) (JK)

I know this sounds dumb but can anyone confirm what the nudity is? My wife wants to see this game but if there is weird nudity like Heavy Rain I will just hear how bumb I am for playing games like that (I am abused) (JK)

There is some side boob during one scene. That's it.

CHC

Just finished the demo and I think I might pick this one up at some point. Not having played this type of game for a while it was super refreshing and I legitimately felt the need to do well in the QTEs for fear of what would happen if I failed a lot. Wasn't really into the whole part where you're surrounded by SWAT and had to smash the cars (too much trial and error) but otherwise I'm very intruiged.

So the Special Edition only comes with 4 tracks, not the full one? Guess I'll gamefly this one instead of buying it from Gamestop.

Furthermore, the Special Edition will include the soundtrack comprising the four main themes from Beyond, and four exclusive making-of videos featuring Writer/Director David Cage, along with actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've searched around and didn't see anything...

I can't be the only one who thinks that this is a direct homage to Deadly Premonition right?

It right at the beginning of the demo

img_0369hgs0s.jpg

Micerider

I'm not sure what's there to lessen. Character expressions are overall for sure the best there is right now, far better than Heavy Rain, and second maybe only to best scenes in TLOU (and of course QD's own Sorcerer demo, but that's not a fair comparison)

Plastic feeling for Ellen. She is really fine otherwise. But my concern is really for the "supporting" chatacters. They are all a bit dead-eyed with stiffer expressions (in the demo a least).

It is not "bad" compared to other games, but it Impacts the immersion a bit for me.

Apeopleman

So the Special Edition only comes with 4 tracks, not the full one? Guess I'll gamefly this one instead of buying it from Gamestop.

As long as the most important tracks are there, I'll take it.

Remember, with the Gamestop pre order, you get a steelbook, 4 tracks, and a 30 minute extra part of the game for the same price.

Plastic feeling for Ellen. She is really fine otherwise. But my concern is really for the "supporting" chatacters. They are all a bit dead-eyed with stiffer expressions (in the demo a least).

It is not "bad" compared to other games, but it Impacts the immersion a bit for me.

character expressions were great in the demo.

mishakoz

So this game seems to be getting an actual advertising campaign. I've seen the "I don't know what's coming next" ad on hulu and during NFL games. Good to see, hopefully game lives up to expectations.

Banzai

The song that plays when you hover over the demo icon on the xmb is...hauntingly beautiful. Cant wait for my game to get here.

No. It comes with the full soundtrack. The description simply means it will also contain the 4 main themes. There are only 4 main themes and 12 other tracks.

This game has some really bad writing. Just watched the
party
- scene and that was hilarious. Character behaviour feels completely out of place and I couldn't stop laughing after some dialogue:
"A thong! It's just what I wanted"

LOL

This game has some really bad writing. Just watched the
party
- scene and that was hilarious. Character behaviour feels completely out of place and I couldn't stop laughing after some dialogue:
"A string! It's just what I wanted"

LOL
All this game needed to be realistic was some twerking

U-R

I must say, i played Heavy Rain with quite some reservations due to Indigo Prophecy being... so crazy. But by the end of it, even with all the writing issues, i could understand what Cage was trying to do and i found the whole experiment to be a worthy attempt.

The demo of Beyond definitely sold the game to me and my roommate: we'll get a copy whenever a decent deal pops up. My only issue is the pricing: an interactive movie should be priced between a normal DVD movie release and a game IMHO. 60-70euro (as i've seen around my city, in Italy) is definitely off the mark.

rvy

Banned
Ugh, what's wrong with the animation for stealth sections? For a game that prides itself on being immersive, it sure as shit breaks immersion when Ellen's body doesn't react properly to geometry or the laws of physics.

StuBurns

Banned
My only issue is the pricing: an interactive movie should be priced between a normal DVD movie release and a game IMHO. 60-70euro (as i've seen around my city, in Italy) is definitely off the mark.
That's kind of strange. 'DVD' movies are not the length of games. A more apt comparison would be something like the Godfather Collection Restoration Bluray, which launched at $57.99.

I must say, i played Heavy Rain with quite some reservations due to Indigo Prophecy being... so crazy. But by the end of it, even with all the writing issues, i could understand what Cage was trying to do and i found the whole experiment to be a worthy attempt.

The demo of Beyond definitely sold the game to me and my roommate: we'll get a copy whenever a decent deal pops up. My only issue is the pricing: an interactive movie should be priced between a normal DVD movie release and a game IMHO. 60-70euro (as i've seen around my city, in Italy) is definitely off the mark.

the game can't be that cheap to make so they can sell it for $30-$40. not only it look like it has high production value, they also have to make all the alternate/branching scene the game might have, and multiple ending too.

it has longer dev cycle than Uncharted games even.

U-R

ugh shut up already. EmptySpace's virtual particles are not amused.

I should add: i don't see anything bad with the concept of "interactive movie", except that most attempts at it have been terrible (and this is where in my opinions, Cage's experiments fill a worthwhile space: he seems to be slowly "nailing it").

I should add: i don't see anything bad with the concept of "interactive movie", except that most attempts at it have been terrible (and this is where in my opinions, Cage's experiments fill a worthwhile space: he seems to be slowly "nailing it").

it is a video game, not an interactive movie. the concept is closer to point-and-click adventure games.

it does not matter whether or not u-r's intentions are good in trying to define beyond, but beyond is a video game. period.

U-R

the game can't be that cheap to make so they can sell it for $30-$40. not only it look like it has high production value, they also have to make all the alternate/branching scene the game might have, and multiple ending too.

it has longer dev cycle than Uncharted games even.

From a development point of view, i fully understand the 60$ price, in both production values and time to research in user interaction. I still don't think the gaming audience toward which this kind pf production is targeted (the console owners demographics) can be expected to pay full price. That said, i may be undervaluing the replay value here, i didn't feel it in Heavy Rain, but then, Beyond may be an entirely different beast.

StuBurns

Banned
From a development point of view, i fully understand the 60$ price, in both production values and time to research in user interaction. I still don't think the gaming audience toward which this kind pf production is targeted (the console owners demographics) can be expected to pay full price. That said, i may be undervaluing the replay value here, i didn't feel it in Heavy Rain, but then, Beyond may be an entirely different beast.
Heavy Rain was a big success.

hal9001

Banned
First review up on Metacritic is a 68/100. You can tell the author's opinion on David Cage right from the getgo:

"Beyond: Two Souls is a seriously flawed experiment in interactive storytelling. Is there a game to be found? This reviewer is still looking. [Oct 2013]"

I don't care what anyone else says, I think it's a perfectly valid type of game, especially when you consider the non-linearity. I played the "Hunted" demo twice, and it unfolded quite differently the second time. I can play Uncharted 3 twenty times and I'll have the same experience every time. Which title has more "game" to it? I might argue Beyond/Heavy Rain.

If the game is bad then give valid opinions on why you think it is and don't just throw out stupid reasons like "no game to be found". Why can't the reviewer just judge and review it for what it is rather then what you want it to be based on your personal bias if or not you consider it a game. People who say that this is not a game look really ignorant and childish. There is plenty of room for all types of gaming and this type of petulant and snarky attitude from some gamers is what stops gaming from being taken seriously.

HAHAHA. I FUCKING HAVE IT!

No way I let "reviewers" sour me on something I waited 3 years for. I'm gonna beat these clowns to it. I'm going in full exploration mode and I will time my playthrough.

Let's see if this is a game or not...

If the game is bad then give valid opinions on why you think it is and don't just throw out stupid reasons like "no game to be found". Why can't the reviewer just judge and review it for what it is rather then what you want it to be based on your personal bias if or not you consider it a game. People who say that this is not a game look really ignorant and childish. There is plenty of room for all types of gaming and this type of petulant and snarky attitude from some gamers is what stops gaming from being taken seriously.

The thing is... when you usually academically critique something, you start from base assumptions and a theory of what something is, looks like, or can/should be.

If that does not align... then you already have problems. If he does not think it is a game.. and he can justify that based upon some working theory of what a game is... then power to him. He can also then not like it as a "not-game."

jimi_dini

it is a video game, not an interactive movie. the concept is closer to point-and-click adventure games.

I don't understand this at all.

Even an interactive movie, is a video game.
Was "Dragon's Lair" a video game? "7th guest"? "11th hour"? "Mad Dog McCree"? "Police Quest: SWAT"? "Star Wars: Rebel Assault"? Of course they were. They had "limited interaction" (although you could say the same thing about current shooters), but it still was interactive, thus a videogame of sorts.

People calling it an "interactive movie" and "not a videogame" make no sense. If it was a plain movie without any type of user-input, then it wouldn't be a videogame.

I guess those people are thinking: "well, I can't shoot anything in the game, at least not like in a typical shooter thus it's not a vidya gaem" smh

EDIT: sorry, I just get frustrated by reading stuff like this.

How hard is it to learn the OP and not answer to people who haven't read it? If you want to discuss whether Quantic Dream's productions are games or not, make your own thread.

misteroms

Banned
No question for me.

I'm holding a gamepad while enjoying this and not a TV Remote.

It's definitely a game, and it will be a great game for us to enjoy.

Quick observations:

-German version includes a manual
-Installation is bare-bones unfortunately
-Music in XMB and menu is changed from the demo, but still excellent
-No gamma options or audio level adjustments (weird)
-Two difficulty levels: Easy/Hard
-Hard is the same as the demo
-Easy shows you which direction you need to press during fight scenes (red arrow) and automates Aiden a lot

Gbraga

So I've searched around and didn't see anything...

I can't be the only one who thinks that this is a direct homage to Deadly Premonition right?

It right at the beginning of the demo

Shit, I thought "Deadly Premonition!" when I spotted the pic, before even reading your post. It has to be.

MMaRsu

There are some violent scenes which are better not being seen by a kid. Also the story is very (too much for me) emotional.

Huh.. it wasn't that emotional. I almost shed a tear at the ending but that's it.

What violent scenes should not be watched by kids? Kids shouldn't even play this imo because they will get bored. At least kids with a short attention span.

Lain

I wanted to put an order on amazon for this today, but then I saw the price, 64€, and I stopped myself. I guess all the deals on PC/Steam have spoiled me, but I can't see myself paying that much for a new game anymore.
I'll have to wait for a price drop or some promotion.

Top Bottom