• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

While Lilly fits the definition of waifu, I see Jodie as someone I can identify with despite the difference in sexes, so the two characters are different. Lilly provided me with comfort thanks to her virtual company, while Jodie's story was more about trusting yourself and being strong even if you're alone.

Who's Lilly?

netguy503

the videos got taken down. im pretty pissed off. at least i know its hell of short now. should be able to plat it in a week for a full refund at gamestop toward a PS4 game

While Lilly fits the definition of waifu, I see Jodie as someone I can identify with despite the difference in sexes, so the two characters are different. Lilly provided me with comfort thanks to her virtual company, while Jodie's story was more about trusting yourself and being strong even if you're alone.

More emotional. Heavy Rain had four main characters and the story took place in the span of a few days (save for the prologue). Beyond follows one character for fifteen years and you get to know her deepest feelings, her joys and sorrows. I didn't feel much empathy for Ethan Mars but Jodie is one of the most interesting and human main characters ever (thanks to Ellen Page's great acting).

I don't expect everybody else to pick it up as their GOTY, though. GTA V just came out and is breaking records (even though it did nothing for me) and Beyond worked for me on a personal level so much I could overlook whatever flaws it had (in gameplay or writing).

My question was sort of made in jest, but glad to hear that the narrative manages to be emotionally rewarding overall. The game has got a TON of endings though, do you feel as though you got a "good ending?" or rather, do you feel as though it resolves in a satisfying manner?

Leeness

No reviews shall sway me!

I'm super excited for this. Will play once on my own from release day to the weekend and then co-op with my sister :D

Who's Lilly?

She's a romanceable character from Katawa Shoujo - a free visual novel made by 4chan that is actually great (I'm not even kidding). Reading it and following Lilly's path (out of four playable paths) gave me an incredible lot of feels and changed my life for the better.

Fight scenes: Right analogue stick instead of up,down,square,X for example. Interaction: Simple moves with the right stick instead of up,down,shake to drink orange juice. It's more like Fahrenheit now, except that the right stick stuff works better than Simon Says during fights.

Fantastic, I felt Fahrenheit had perfect controls (sans the crazy QTEs, especially towards the end), so this is very good news.

Wait, the complexity of the QTE has been reduced...can you go into more detail about this.

Well, the fights in Heavy Rain had button prompts, while Beyond had those slow-motion sequences. Also, while Heavy Rain had several QTEs when you had to press four or five buttons at the same time, I can only remember a couple of those from Beyond.

Gbraga

She's a romanceable character from Katawa Shoujo - a free visual novel made by 4chan that is actually great (I'm not even kidding). Reading it and following Lilly's path (out of four playable paths) gave me an incredible lot of feels and changed my life for the better.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out.

DukeBobby

I remember the
Mad Jack
scene in Heavy Rain where you had to hold down like 8 buttons at once. I don't think I ever managed to do it successfully.

Thank God there's no more of that.

Necrovex

I remember the
Mad Jack
scene in Heavy Rain where you had to hold down like 8 buttons at once. I don't think I ever managed to do it successfully.

I got through that scene, but I used my tongue to hold down a button. It was so bloody awkward.

Lilly is the best.

I remember the
Mad Jack

That stuff was ingenious though. It was supposed to be nigh-on impossible, because whatever the character was going through was really difficult to overcome.

Besides, failing Norman's sequence at that particular part makes the whole scene ten times better anyway.

I remember the
Mad Jack

I did it with my chin. But honestly you should fail at that, because the fight scene is pretty intense. It might be manipulative, but the initial failure makes it more intense, because you think this might be your last chance (well it is).

Yeah, that's true. The fight scene was hilarious.
The car part was pretty intense. The fight itself was hilarious though yeah. Especially Jayden's death sequences. In one of them he literally dies from a kick to the balls lol

My question was sort of made in jest, but glad to hear that the narrative manages to be emotionally rewarding overall. The game has got a TON of endings though, do you feel as though you got a "good ending?" or rather, do you feel as though it resolves in a satisfying manner?

Whether you get a 'good' ending or a 'not so good' ending depends both on your choices and your own point of view but I can't go into detail because that would be a HUGE spoiler. However, I can say that I was satisfied with the ending I got and it gave me the sense of closure that I desired.

In fact, it's a good thing that the last couple hours are so good because the game does have minor pacing issues, in my opinion (a couple chapters could have been shorter). However, you finish the game on such a high note that it doesn't matter anymore.

By the way, the main technical issues are:

• The camera (it's semi-free: There are fixed angles but you can sort of move the camera around), which makes it hard to see where you're moving sometimes, and
  • Controlling Jodie. She's sometimes too slow (it's never really necessary to run anyway so I guess that's why they didn't make it an option to run) and turning around can be a pain when you're close to an obstacle. You can be 50 cm away from a table yet it stops you from going forward so you have to make a U-turn or something. Thankfully the tank controls from Heavy Rain are gone, though.

Also, the framerate slows down at times and there are texture pop-ins (similar to Mass Effect 1 but not as frequent) but I'm really nitpicking.

Ah nice just preordered at local gamestop to lock in the special edition, wasnt too late.

Demo sold me, I thought Heavy Rain was an excellent innovative game but the core gameplay didnt appeal to me - beyond had a nice feeling combat system with the slow mo, so I think this time I'll be able to finish it.

Man, its been a great year for PS3 with TLOU, Dragons Crown, GTA V (best version by a ton, I have both versions), Xillia, and now this.

Fantastic, I felt Fahrenheit had perfect controls (sans the crazy QTEs, especially towards the end), so this is very good news.
Actually from what we heard so far Beyond is pretty much a combination of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. That's a love letter to us, but reviewers won't like it. Screw them. Beyond even has stealth sections like Fahrenheit, but they are actually decent. Can't wait to play.

I didn't think it was hilarious. Quite the opposite, I was shitting myself.
I loved the fight. The fight music was funny though. Originally this was the song used during the car part, when Jayden turns the radio on (I'm 100% serious): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7j2buc4EDk
They should have used that to make the scene perfect. Cage is a genius.

Actually from what we heard so far Beyond is pretty much a combination of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. That's a love letter to us, but reviewers won't like it. Screw them. Beyond even has stealth scenes like Fahrenheit, but they are actually decent. Can't wait to play.

I wasn't interested in the stealth scenes. They were justified by the story but I did feel like they were there to satisfy stealth games fans and they just slowed me down. The game focuses so much on story that when a long action sequence happens it feels like a disappointment. Those were my least favorite parts in Beyond. If that's what it takes for people not to call it a 'movie', whatever.

Whether you get a 'good' ending or a 'not so good' ending depends both on your choices and your own point of view but I can't go into detail because that would be a HUGE spoiler. However, I can say that I was satisfied with the ending I got and it gave me the sense of closure that I desired.

In fact, it's a good thing that the last couple hours are so good because the game does have minor pacing issues, in my opinion (a couple chapters could have been shorter). However, you finish the game on such a high note that it doesn't matter anymore.

By the way, the main technical issues are:

• The camera (it's semi-free: There are fixed angles but you can sort of move the camera around), which makes it hard to see where you're moving sometimes, and
  • Controlling Jodie. She's sometimes too slow (it's never really necessary to run anyway so I guess that's why they didn't make it an option to run) and turning around can be a pain when you're close to an obstacle. You can be 50 cm away from a table yet it stops you from going forward so you have to make a U-turn or something. Thankfully the tank controls from Heavy Rain are gone, though.

Also, the framerate slows down at times and there are texture pop-ins (similar to Mass Effect 1 but not as frequent) but I'm really nitpicking.

Good to hear. I trust your opinion on the matter. With the insane number of endings, I was wondering whether the quality between them would have suffered or whether there was any meaningful variation between a good chunk of them. I still can't get over Cage's comment of "something special happens when you die," and am very curious to see where he takes the story. Are there any "making of" segments on the disc when you complete the game? I'm a real sucker for that type of stuff

Well, the fights in Heavy Rain had button prompts, while Beyond had those slow-motion sequences. Also, while Heavy Rain had several QTEs when you had to press four or five buttons at the same time, I can only remember a couple of those from Beyond.

Thanks. Sounds great to me.

Actually from what we heard so far Beyond is pretty much a combination of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. That's a love letter to us, but reviewers won't like it. Screw them. Beyond even has stealth sections like Fahrenheit, but they are actually decent. Can't wait to play..

Oh man, the 'stealth' section in Fahrenheit was an abomination. Just awful.

Good to hear. I trust your opinion on the matter. With the insane number of endings, I was wondering whether the quality between them would have suffered or whether there was any meaningful variation between a good chunk of them. I still can't get over Cage's comment of "something special happens when you die," and am very curious to see where he takes the story. Are there any "making of" segments on the disc when you complete the game? I'm a real sucker for that type of stuff
There is a bonus section apparently. The SE has a ton of making of footage at least. Don't know what the regular edition has.

MoosiferX

Tried the demo last night. My gut reaction is that I prefer the button prompts for my quick time events rather than the slow motion "I PUSH in your general direction!" method.

Also, maybe I'm just dumb, but the game had to literally tell me to
blow up the helicopter
towards the end of the demo. She kept yelling at me to stop them, but I guess I just didn't make the connection.

That being said, I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually. Didn't leave as strong of an impression as when I played the Heavy Rain demo way back when, but who knows! It's just a demo.

Oh man, the 'stealth' section in Fahrenheit was an abomination. Just awful.
Yup. Kinda funny. We recently talked about how a Fahrenheit sequel would never happen, but here we are getting a spiritual one. It's like he went back and fixed all the issues. Maybe he wasn't done with it yet mentally. It's not what reviewers want, but I can live with it.

sarcoa

Are there any
rape or attempted rape scenes? would like to avoid the game if there is
Jodie gets the living shit kicked out of her regularly but I don't think attempted rape is ever implied, unless I didn't 'get' that particular sequence somewhere along the way.

Are there any
rape or attempted rape scenes? would like to avoid the game if there is

Yes but you can avoid it (I haven't seen it in my playthrough and I've heard about it by reading the spoiler thread)

ESRB Rating:

Content Descriptors: Blood, Intense Violence, Sexual Content, Strong Language, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

One prolonged bar sequence depicts three men attempting to rape a woman

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33065&Title=

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Beyond definitely has a lot less QTEs than Heavy Rain and they don't require you to do hand yoga either. The slow motion scenes on the other hand will require some getting used to but they aren't that intrusive.

netguy503

you can only return it for a full refund if you don't open it...

Is that a new rule? I've beaten games in a week and returned them back to gamestop and got all my money back quite a few times before. Haven't done it in the last few months though. Trick is they only give you store credit so you are still using money on them and giving them a game back to resell.

Lemstar

Is that a new rule? I've beaten games in a week and returned them back to gamestop and got all my money back quite a few times before. Haven't done it in the last few months though. Trick is they only give you store credit so you are still using money on them and giving them a game back to resell.
No, their return policy's always been the same. If your location accepts opened games for returns, that's decidedly nonstandard.

Squishy3

It's absolutely a rule for new games. If someone is doing that for you, they can lose their job. Used games are free reign returns within 7 days, but new games have to be sealed to get a return on them, unless it ends up defective but then they only give you another copy of the game.

vladdamad

I'm on the fence about this. If I'm playing solely for the story, will I be satisfied? I haven't seen much in terms of trailers, but I ventured into the spoiler thread briefly, and saw
that there is some sort of twist
, and general positive impressions which made me kind of interested.

netguy503

It's absolutely a rule for new games. If someone is doing that for you, they can lose their job. Used games are free reign returns within 7 days, but new games have to be sealed to get a return on them, unless it ends up defective but then they only give you another copy of the game.

Wouldn't it be a used game if I played it. Wakka-wakka.

I'm on the fence about this. If I'm playing solely for the story, will I be satisfied? I haven't seen much in terms of trailers, but I ventured into the spoiler thread briefly, and saw
I don't know why you would play Beyond for something other than the story. I've found the story satisfying but it depends on your tastes.

The only reason to play Beyond is for the story/experience. If you are going to like it depends on you, watch some trailers and see if it intrigues you.

Wouldn't it be a used game if I played it. Wakka-wakka.
He means used games you bought from them.

vladdamad

I don't know why you would play Beyond for something other than the story. I've found the story satisfying but it depends on your tastes.

I guess it's just the nature of the element of what I spoilered in my previous post that I found most intriguing, as I usually love that kind of stuff. And I love good stories in games in general, may give it a go then

Top Bottom