• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

I also don't care for "it's not a game" comments. It's shares roots with graphical point and click adventure games. It has puzzles, but not in the tradtional sense. It also has way better production values than most of not all point and click adventure games.

David Cage's games could easily be translated to traditional point and click games with multiple outcomes. However, he has gone with an interactive movie presentation instead.

Bedlam

it seems like the people who have been playing it early have loved it.
I expect reasonable opinions in a few weeks or so. Right now it seems people are being enthusiastic about their newest purchase and there is certainly some confirmation bias going on as well - people wanted it to be good so it has to be good. Happens a lot.

I also don't care for "it's not a game" comments. It's shares roots with graphical point and click adventure games. It has puzzles, but not in the tradtional sense. It also has way better production values than most of not all point and click adventure games.

David Cage's games could easily be translated to traditional point and click games with multiple outcomes. However, he has gone with an interactive movie presentation instead.
Yeah, the production values are obviously through the roof but it looks kinda bad when that is what the creators rest their sales pitch on (see live premiere with the actors etc).

And most of the criticism is not "it's not a game" but instead that the gameplay is flawed. This game would probably be a better experience if they trimmed it down even more, focussing on decisions and exploration only instead of having half the game consist of annoying QTE action scenes.

The writing seems to be rather lacking as well (didn't like it in the demo and reviews seem to support my suspicion) which is a problem for a narrative-focused experience.

That said, even though I didn't really like the demo I will give the full game a try. Even if it's just because I'm curious about where the game is succesful and where it stumbles.

Psykotik

got my copy today earlier today! played through a few scenes.

HUw.jpg
the story is told in a non linear way. jumps back and forth.

liking what i've played so far.

i spent quite some time just messing around with the camera during this scene to get a better 'view'.

dat dress.

CHC

But how awesome was the fist fight on top of the train?

So so good! I flubbed a couple of QTEs and was getting pretty stressed, since I know there is no "game over" & retry. Graphically that shit was out of control, too. The reflections, the motion blur, rain. Pretty a staggering for PS3 when you think about it.

DeadcatXL

Banned
I've been trying to stay dumb about B:TS because i don't deal well with anticipation, but today i finally watched all the trailers and now i want it in my FACE.

Asking again for the new page, do I need to pre-order the game at gamestop to get the steelbook or will that be the only version offered?

That actor on the left was great (whether you like his character or not). His line delivery and face expressions were second only to Ellen Page's, perhaps even better than Willem Dafoe (who looks less like a psychopath than the real-life Dafoe). His acting looked so natural. He's not a famous actor but damn if he isn't a professional.

By the way, I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying this, but I was disappointed with Cole (the black guy from the demo). He's a typical Magical Negro*, in my opinion. That's one of the flaws I said I was willing to overlook: there always are some annoying clichés in Cage's writing (e.g. Mad Jack in Heavy Rain, who's a super-muscular, evil, working-class, idiotic black felon).

Magical Negro

tl;dr: Closer to Earth ethereal Black character existing only to help the White hero.

Long definition:

"Friendly black optimistic advice"
— A Trailer For Every Academy Award Winning Movie Ever

In order to show the world that minority characters are not bad people, one will step forward to help a "normal" person, with their pure heart and folksy wisdom. They are usually black and/or poor, but may come from another oppressed minority. They step (often clad in a clean, white suit) into the life of the much more privileged (and, in particular, almost always white) central character and, in some way, enrich that central character's life. If the Magical Negro (also known as Magic Negro or Mystical Negro) is from a society of Noble Savages, expect an Anvilicious Aesop about the failings of the protagonist's society — which usually leads to the protagonist "Going Native".

With such deep spiritual wisdom (and sometimes — though not always — actual supernatural powers), you might wonder why the Magical Negro doesn't step up and save the day himself. This will never happen. So enlightened and selfless is he that he has no desire to gain glory for himself; he only wants to help those who need guidance...which just happens to mean those who are traditionally viewed by Hollywood as better suited for protagonist roles, not, say, his own oppressed people. In fact, the Magical Negro really seems to have no goal in life other than helping white people achieve their fullest potential; he may even be ditched or killed outright once he's served that purpose. If he does express any selfish desires, it will only be in the context of helping the white protagonists realize their own racism and thereby become better people.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro

I expect reasonable opinions in a few weeks or so. Right now it seems people are being enthusiastic about their newest purchase and there is certainly some confirmation bias going on as well - people wanted it to be good so it has to be good. Happens a lot.

Yeah, the production values are obviously through the roof but it looks kinda bad when that is what the creators rest their sales pitch on (see live premiere with the actors etc).

And most of the criticism is not "it's not a game" but instead that the gameplay is flawed. This game would probably be a better experience if they trimmed it down even more, focussing on decisions and exploration only instead of having half the game consist of annoying QTE action scenes.

The writing seems to be rather lacking as well (didn't like it in the demo and reviews seem to support my suspicion) which is a problem for a narrative-focused experience.

That said, even though I didn't really like the demo I will give the full game a try. Even if it's just because I'm curious about where the game is succesful and where it stumbles.

I do have to agree that Cage's writing leaves a lot to be desired. I would also prefer more exploration and decisions rather than QTE action scenes. I guess he included those to get sales.

CHC

I think this game also should have dropped the "Two Souls" subtitle and just have been called Beyond, or The Beyond. If they are going to for a tasteful, cinematic presentation having that subtitle just makes it sound like such a clichéd video game. It's kind clumsy to say and doesn't really add anything.

kazebyaka

Banned
I've beaten the game a few days ago. I love Heavy Rain to death, I even finished HR 3 times, despite it's obvious problems and holes. But Beyond: Two Souls has nothing on Heavy Rain besides graphics. I'd give Beyond something like 6-7/10 just for graphics, without them it'd be a 4/10 game.

misteroms

Banned
I've beaten the game a few days ago. I love Heavy Rain to death, I even finished HR 3 times, despite it's obvious problems and holes. But Beyond: Two Souls has nothing on Heavy Rain besides graphics. I'd give Beyond something like 6-7/10 just for graphics, without them it'd be a 4/10 game.

Could you please give some reasons ? You're scaring me !

kazebyaka

Banned
Could you please give some reasons ? You're scaring me !
For example: the control scheme in Beyond is very dumbed down, you just flick right stick all the time to do stuff. I know people disliked the overly complicated controls of HR, but at least there you had something to do with your hands. Aiden gameplay is very simple too, you have too little options available and overall he grows old very very fast.

Story is also an unimaginative mess. It's a slice-of-life story with paranormal fillers in it. Many of the episodes in this story have nothing to do with the plot and they do nothing with the character too. It doesn't help that these episodes scattered chaotically, because it does nothing but confuse you and you have no way to connect with Jodie because of that. There's no plot, no tension in anything that happens. In any dire situation there is the Aiden to help you. You don't see the character grow slowly on you, again because of the scattered nature of episodes.

I can go on for hours about the game, but I doubt anyone wants spoilers.

CrazyDude

For example: the control scheme in Beyond is very dumbed down, you just flick right stick all the time to do stuff. I know people disliked the overly complicated controls of HR, but at least there you had something to do with your hands. Aiden gameplay is very simple too, you have too little options available and overall he grows old very very fast.

Story is also an unimaginative mess. It's a slice-of-life story with paranormal fillers in it. Many of the episodes in this story have nothing to do with the plot and they do nothing with the character too. It doesn't help that these episodes scattered chaotically, because it does nothing but confuse you and you have no way to connect with Jodie because of that. There's no plot, no tension in anything that happens. In any dire situation there is the Aiden to help you. You don't see the character grow slowly on you, again because of the scattered nature of episodes.

So it's just as bad in the story department as heavy rain was.

Hey, you can PM me with your thoughts. I currently watching a walkthrough of the game myself. I like the presentation, but I feel like a more focused narritive would have helped a lot. In some parts, I almost wish they had gone with a traditional third person control scheme. I feel like the game is too contrained by it's cinematic trappings. Also, David Cage needs to hire a good writer. I just don't know.....

kazebyaka

Banned
So it's just as bad in the story department as heavy rain was.
No, at least Heavy Rain was intense against-the-clock thriller. There were bad writing and many holes, but at least it was suspenseful and exciting. Plot of Beyond happens in the last 30 minutes and ends with Mass Effect 3.

For example: the control scheme in Beyond is very dumbed down, you just flick right stick all the time to do stuff. I know people disliked the overly complicated controls of HR, but at least there you had something to do with your hands.
But what did that achieve in terms of meaning? If it's controls for the sake of having controls, it's just feature bloat, a useless distraction. It'd be like pausing a film and force people to manually push Play every time there's a cut in a movie. I say dumb that shit down or even get rid of it.

I'm befuddled by some of the acting and line delivery not coming out of the big name actors. Except for Jodie's love interest, all of the less important characters sound a lot like non native speakers, or they just come off as awkward.

misteroms

Banned
People freak out so easily in this thread. One wrong pixel and everyone goes OH SHIT MUST CANCEL MY PRE-ORDER. It's like you had little to no interest in the game to begin with

Hold your horses before making such assumptions pal, I was obviously overreacting over this...

Even if there are reasons to dislike the game, it won't stop me from getting it tonight...

People are easily judging each others in this thread don't you think ?

Andrew.

Banned
Praiseworthy was playing his good ol early copy as usual yesterday, so I hit him up on PSN to see how he was liking it.

He claimed it has already surpassed TLOU in the GOTG department.

I was like "Whaaaaaaaaat"

I'm befuddled by some of the acting and line delivery not coming out of the big name actors. Except for Jodie's love interest, all of the less important characters sound a lot like non native speakers, or they just come off as awkward.

Damn, was hoping they'd spent more time making sure this wasn't an issue in Beyond. At times it was hard to tell whether some of Heavy Rain's flaws were entirely the writing(I don't think they were) or some of the horrendous line delivery that completely took you out of the scene.

Praiseworthy was playing his good ol early copy as usual yesterday, so I hit him up on PSN to see how he was liking it.

TLOU I don't think can be trumped this gen.

kazebyaka

Banned
But what did that achieve in terms of meaning? If it's controls for the sake of having controls, it's just feature bloat, a useless distraction. It'd be like pausing a film and force people to manually push Play every time there's a cut in a movie. I say dumb that shit down or even get rid of it.
I am one of the people who think that overly complicated HR controls scheme adds to the tension of tense HR moments, it was brilliant stuff when it worked. Yes, it was overly complicated, but an opposite is not a good thing too, overly simplified controls ruin the enjoyment just as much, while adding nothing to the tense gameplay.

One thing I can say is that this game needed waaaay more choices imo.
Yes. I feel like there were less choices than Heavy Rain.

Alpha Protocol is still the undisputed king of meaningful choices and consequences in video games, along with one of the best dialogue systems ever.

Hold your horses before making such assumptions pal, I was obviously overreacting over this...

Even if there are reasons to dislike the game, it won't stop me from getting it tonight...

People are easily judging each others in this thread don't you think ?
Fair enough.

merrick97

Banned
Thanks to those who provided a good review of the game.

You have confirmed that I will wait until the game gets cheaper before I play it.

Not a Day 1 purchase.

Played for almost 4 hours straight and I'm about 1/3 through the story. Reviewers won't like this game period, but I'm having a blast. Keep in mind that this is pretty much a story that you play, if you don't like the subject matter, you probably won't enjoy it.

Here are my full impressions covering every aspect of the game:

• Graphics are excellent, best of PS3 IMO
  • Definitely some framerate stutter, especially when the game is auto-saving. I'm assuming it's because of the heavy disc streaming
  • Music is phenomenal, best of the year I think
  • Very depressing story. Jodie has a miserable life
  • Despite that the game is beautiful too. Not only the graphics, but the game as a whole
  • Cage still masters lulling you in and then making a scene instantly intense
  • Voice acting is fantastic throughout and shits all over Heavy Rain
  • The actress for child Jodie is adorable, goodbye French kids
  • Some spotty dialogue lines here and there, but nothing even remotely as bad as many sections in HR
  • Have zero issues with the writing so far. Spoiler from the first hour of the game:
    Many seem to have problems with the writing of the Birthday scene. For me it worked. Dumb teenage morons acting and talking like morons. Seemed fine to me. On top of that it made me feel uncomfortable as fuck, which seems intentional considering what happens next. Obviously this is completely lost when watching the game on YT
  • The switching between child Jodie, teenage Jodie and adult Jodie is weird at first. They should have put some transition dialogues there. But you get used to it after 2 hours. You have to accept that you are pretty much playing vignettes, striking scenes of the life of a character. Like photographs, the scenes are very isolated at first and there is not much of an overarching plot going on for the first hour. It is a weird and interesting concept and many will hate it. I like it though
  • Beyond does some very impressive instant scenery switches without a loading screen
  • The big tutorial section is indeed excellent. Incredibly odd at first, but then it becomes cool
  • Stealth sections are really fun. The QTEs almost transform into persistent mechanics, that actually work and are more dynamic that I thought they would be. Got my ass handed to me twice. Would like to see more of them. This scene alone proves that Beyond is very much a game
  • For DukeBobby: There are house scenes like in Heavy Rain. Not as many interactions as in HR, but the ones that are available are very drawn out, pointless and fun
  • Much exploration possible with Aiden, some very big and detailed sets
  • Walking is awkward at times. Not as bad as in Heavy Rain though
  • Combat works perfectly
  • No technical issues

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE EMOTIONS?

In only 4 hours the game managed to gave me strong chills in one scene and made me tear up in another. The story, acting and music came together so beautifully for just 5 seconds that it was impossible for me to hold it back. For comparison, Heavy Rain never made me tear up despite making me feel very sad at times. Only cried once during The Last of Us.

GreyWind

Played for almost 4 hours straight and I'm about 1/3 through the story. Reviewers won't like this game period, but I'm having a blast. Keep in mind that this is pretty much a story that you play, if you don't like the subject matter, you probably won't enjoy it.

Here are my full impressions covering every aspect of the game:

• Graphics are excellent, best of PS3 IMO
  • Definitely some framerate stutter, especially when the game is auto-saving. I'm assuming it's because of the heavy disc streaming
  • Music is phenomenal, best of the year I think
  • Very depressing story. Jodie has a miserable life
  • Despite that the game is beautiful too. Not only the graphics, but the game as a whole
  • Cage still masters lulling you in and then making a scene instantly intense
  • Voice acting is fantastic throughout and shits all over Heavy Rain
  • The actress for child Jodie is adorable, goodbye French kids
  • Some spotty dialogue lines here and there, but nothing even remotely as bad as many sections in HR
  • Have zero issues with the writing so far. Spoiler from the first hour of the game:
    Many seem to have problems with the writing of the Birthday scene. For me it worked. Dumb teenage morons acting and talking like morons. Seemed fine to me. On top of that it made me feel uncomfortable as fuck, which seems intentional considering what happens next. Obviously this is completely lost when watching the game on YT
  • The switching between child Jodie, teenage Jodie and adult Jodie is weird at first. They should have put some transition dialogues there. But you get used to it after 2 hours. You have to accept that you are pretty much playing vignettes, striking scenes of the life of a character. Like photographs, the scenes are very isolated at first and there is not much of an overarching plot going on for the first hour. It is a weird and interesting concept and many will hate it. I like it though
  • Beyond does some very impressive instant scenery switches without a loading screen
  • The big tutorial section is indeed excellent. Incredibly odd at first, but then it becomes cool
  • Stealth sections are really fun. The QTEs almost transform into persistent mechanics, that actually work and are more dynamic that I thought they would be. Got my ass handed to me twice. Would like to see more of them. This scene alone proves that Beyond is very much a game
  • For DukeBobby: There are house scenes like in Heavy Rain. Not as many interactions as in HR, but the ones that are available are very drawn out, pointless and fun
  • Much exploration possible with Aiden, some very big and detailed sets
  • Walking is awkward at times. Not as bad as in Heavy Rain though
  • Combat works perfectly
  • No technical issues

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE EMOTIONS?

In only 4 hours the game managed to gave me strong chills in one scene and made me tear up in another. The story, acting and music came together so beautifully for just 5 seconds that it was impossible for me to hold it back. For comparison, Heavy Rain never made me tear up despite making me feel very sad at times. Only cried once during The Last of Us.

Thank you so much for this, I can't wait to play the game.

sub_o

Quick observations:

-German version includes a manual
-Installation is bare-bones unfortunately
-Music in XMB and menu is changed from the demo, but still excellent
-No gamma options or audio level adjustments (weird)
-Two difficulty levels: Easy/Hard
-Hard is the same as the demo
-Easy shows you which direction you need to press during fight scenes (red arrow) and automates Aiden a lot

I see you got the German version, is it in German ? Does it have English subtitles ? And what's being censored ?

Blader

People freak out so easily in this thread. One wrong pixel and everyone goes OH SHIT MUST CANCEL MY PRE-ORDER. It's like you had little to no interest in the game to begin with

What does that matter? Initial interest in a game has nothing to do with whether you like or dislike it in the end.

DukeBobby

I'm pretty sure he says that about every game.

[*]For DukeBobby: There are house scenes like in Heavy Rain. Not as many interactions as in HR, but the ones that are available are very drawn out, pointless and fun.

Yeesssss, gimme that pointless stuff.

That actor on the left was great (whether you like his character or not). His line delivery and face expressions were second only to Ellen Page's, perhaps even better than Willem Dafoe (who looks less like a psychopath than the real-life Dafoe). His acting looked so natural. He's not a famous actor but damn if he isn't a professional.
I like him too. He nails every line so far.

Asking again for the new page, do I need to pre-order the game at gamestop to get the steelbook or will that be the only version offered?
You have to pre-order at GS to get the SE if you are living in the US yes.

Anyone knows when will the 16 track music score will release?
On iTunes. October 8th.

Damn, was hoping they'd spent more time making sure this wasn't an issue in Beyond. At times it was hard to tell whether some of Heavy Rain's flaws were entirely the writing(I don't think they were) or some of the horrendous line delivery that completely took you out of the scene.
I don't have this impression at all. I'm not American, but I noticed a lot of the British actors in Heavy Rain. Beyond seems fine so far (4 hours in).

GreyWind

I like him too. He nails every line so far.

You have to pre-order at GS to get the SE if you are living in the US yes.

On iTunes. October 8th.

I don't have this impression at all. I'm not American, but I noticed a lot of the British actors in Heavy Rain. Beyond seems fine so far (4 hours in).

Thank you! Also the track 'Jodie's Suite' is beyond amazing!

Does anyone know the install size of the game?
2.6 GB (says the box). Installation is fast.

Did you try the app controls?
No smartphone atm sorry. I heard that they are pretty decent though.

I see you got the German version, is it in German ? Does it have English subtitles ? And what's being censored ?
Yes. Has German/English/French/Spanish audio and subtitles. Only 10 seconds of violence are censored, doesn't matter at all.

synce

Almost finished my second playthrough... I can't believe the two greatest games of this generation released in the same year on the same console. It's tough to decide if Jodie or Ellie is the most awesome girl in the history of videogames.

Top Bottom