• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wtf! Is that mocap pic a fucking spoiler?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ellen_page_shes_a_keeper-69419.gif

EmptySpace can feel it now. goty candidate.

THE FUCK? :lol

I can't decide to get this later & cheaper (easier on the wallet with the PS4 coming) or get the limited edition now from GameStop as I don't want to miss out in the extra half hour of story...

So do we know if david cage is using the same writers as heavy rain for this one?

Because if so, eesh.

Well then I wish all of you in this OT the best of luck with this. After farenheit and heavy rain I would think that bar a minor miracle this is going to be a joke compared to other "interactive films" like TWD.

Replicant said:
WARNING | Mods will be informed of those who trolls the thread.

2. This is not a thread to tell others that you are one of those special snowflakes who hate QTEs and David Cage. Spread your winter wonderland elsewhere and make your own thread.

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

Sn4ke_911

I'm sure plenty of people won't read the whole OP and will miss those rules.

I can see lots and lots of bans already.

TraBuch

Banned
I would kill for an open-world game where you could just walk around scaring the shit out of random people with Aiden.

I wonder if the US version will be region free? Tempted to import if it is...
It's just 10 seconds that even part of the development team feels are unnecessary to the game. They are not even removed, just slightly altered. I'm pretty sure you can't import the SE from US, so the additional 30 minutes of cool content would be far more important to me than 10 seconds of violence toned down.

I don't know, I like heavy rain's controls better as they clearly tells you which buttons u gotta press, here..there's some guessing around sometimes that are the wrong choices which it seems perfectly doable to me before the sequence is played out.

Too much smartphones swiping controls I think.
ps. Can you actually push cars and stuff towards where you want them to go, or is it just upwards?
You mean combat? You have some time to watch her movement. Impulse reactions are most of the time punished, because you didn't interpret her movement correctly. You have like 3 seconds to figure out the correct answer, so take your time. It's really not tricky not all.

And yes, there is a physic engine behind the stuff you do with Aiden. Some of it is scripted, but you can move certain objects freely around. Of course I don't know how far they go with this stuff in the final game.

Wtf! Is that mocap pic a fucking spoiler?
Since it was released 1 year ago by Sony PR I doubt it.

Do we know how the two-player thing works? My sister and I will be playing this together. :D
You can use 2 DS3 controllers, 2 smartphones/tablets or one of each. Just play with what your sister is comfortable with. Then just make sure that the PS3 and phone are in the same wireless network and you can connect using the app and adjust settings from the main menu.

Lenta.ru apparently just talked to some Sony reps and they said that the NA version is uncut and Russia would be getting the same version as the US (so uncut as well).

http://lenta.ru/news/2013/10/01/beyond/

So NA is uncut and EU has 10 seconds worth of edits that reduces some unnecessary and gratuitous violence (which the whole development team agreed upon). Sounds fine to me!

Translation(Russian is my native language).

"Sony reps told Lenta, that in Russia game will be released without any changes. Russia will be getting the same version as US. But game will be rated 18+"

So it's not confirmed that game is uncensored in US. I wouldn't be surprised that Russia will get fully uncensored version.

jtb

Banned
what is with slapping Hans Zimmer's name on everything? that shit really grates, especially since Zimmer is one of the worst composers around... ugh

ARE YOU HYPED!? :D

Awesome, let's get this hype train rolling.

It's weird, I don't know why, but I'm nowhere near as psyched for Beyond as I was for Heavy Rain, yet I'm convinced the former will be superior in every way. Maybe a noirish tone and murder mystery story appeals to me far more than... whatever the hell Beyond is. Plus I haven't seen a character as worthy to root for as the endearing Norman Jayden. I remember seeing that footage during E3 of him squaring off against Mad Jack for the first time and being obsessed with the game ever since. Nothing I've seen of Beyond has quite captivated me on the same level. Or maybe it's because, unlike Heavy Rain, Beyond is surrounded by other games and systems that are equally attention grabbing. Puppeteer and GTA V just came out, Rain is out today, the PS4 and all that comes with it is out next month.

Eh, whatever. Game will be ace once I start playing it I'm sure.
We both love Heavy Rain. I couldn't help myself and watched the beginning of Beyond. It hooked me immediately. You won't be disappointed I think.

Translation(Russian is my native language).

"Sony reps told Lenta, that in Russia game will be released without any changes. Russia will be getting the same version as US. But game will be rated 18+"

So it's not confirmed that game is uncensored in US. I wouldn't be surprised that Russia will get fully uncensored version.
Thanks. Google Translate indicated to me that it said it would be uncensored. But I still think that the German retailer is full of shit and US will be uncut.

what is with slapping Hans Zimmer's name on everything? that shit really grates, especially since Zimmer is one of the worst composers around... ugh

Well, the original composer die ( he did Heavy Rain), Lorne Balfe is working on the soundtrack too, and he is quite decent in my opinion. So far the soundtrack looks pretty good, at least to me.

Sulik2

I have had zero hype for this game, but all of a sudden I am seeing positive buzz around. I hope my PS3 still turns on, I am gonna have to give this a go. Heavy Rain was great for the first couple of hours until the story fell completely apart, hopefully Beyond doesn't nose dive either.

I've been on a media blackout ever since the first trailer. At this point, i don't have a clue what this game is about. I've read some snippets about first person and shooting/army bits combined with supernatural and dodgy controls. I loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain but i'm not sure how excited i am for this one. I guess i should play the demo to have a better understanding of what the game is about.
Seems like you read the wrong snippets. It's more like HR than you think.

How long is the game supposed to be?
10-15 hours according to the gameplay lead. GAF reviewer took 12 hours.

There's no chance we'll be stuck with a
necessarily crappy
French dub if we were to buy the French version, right ?
Nope, all EU versions have English audio.

Game is leaked on the net. Watch out for spoilers.
Fuck. Ok no more YouTube for me.

Thanks. Google Translate indicated to me that it said it would be uncensored. But I still think that the German retailer is full of shit and US will be uncut.

It's actually very strange that Russia will get US version. All Sony titles was Europe version.Last of Us, God of War:A, Twisted Metal. But game releases in Europe on October 11th, but in Russia on October 9th.
I just got answer from my internet store, I asked them about cuts in US and EU and they said: Both versions, EU and US, has been cut.
It's very respected store. They are official partners of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. And they NEVER answer any question if they are not 100% sure. But at the same time they are saying what their distributors/Sony contacts told them.

Astery

You mean combat? You have some time to watch her movement. Impulse reactions are most of the time punished, because you didn't interpret her movement correctly. You have like 3 seconds to figure out the correct answer, so take your time. It's really not tricky not all.

And yes, there is a physic engine behind the stuff you do with Aiden. Some of it is scripted, but you can move certain objects freely around. Of course I don't know how far they go with this stuff in the final game.

Yup I guess I have to set myself in a different mind set as to "follow her punch direction/ dodging direction" etc instead of what I'm used to in say an action game. There's still some inconsistency with all that tho that's just weird, say most objects you interact by moving the right stick to the right, but sitting on the chair is moving the right stick towards the chair (left down). If it follows the movement motion, then opening the door should be moving the stick right then down, and picking things from floor should be just down? It's just weird to me.

And the physics engine is also part of the inconsistency problem then, I don't know which ones allow free movements and which doesn't, I only get to flip almost everything upwards in the demo. I would except to be able to flip cars to about where I want them to land when the SWAT teams are approaching Jodie in the demo for example.

Silky

Banned
I just finished the demo....did anyone get any technical issues regarding Jodies face textures? For like 5 minutes her entire face went black. :l

Otherwise, I was kind of digging the demo. Love that Ghost Trick/Geist vibe the game had to it. Gonna wait for a price drop tho.

EDIT: Ellie and Jodie are two cute chicks and I get them confused, sue me

Sn4ke_911

I just finished the demo....did anyone get any technical issues regarding Ellie's face textures? For like 5 minutes her entire face went black. :l

No i had no problem in The Last of Us.

Yup I guess I have to set myself in a different mind set as to "follow her punch direction/ dodging direction" etc instead of what I'm used to in say an action game. There's still some inconsistency with all that tho that's just weird, say most objects you interact by moving the right stick to the right, but sitting on the chair is moving the right stick towards the chair (left down). If it follows the movement motion, then opening the door should be moving the stick right then down, and picking things from floor should be just down? It's just weird to me.
Oh you misunderstood that. Read the OP. There is a tutorial created by me. For Jodie's interactions what the movement is doesn't matter. You just have to press the right stick towards the white dot realtive to the center of the screen.

Astery

Oh you misunderstood that. Read the OP. There is a tutorial created by me. For Jodie's interactions what the movement is doesn't matter. You just have to press the right stick towards the white dot realtive to the center of the screen.

oh wow that's even weirder than I thought it is lol. Still digging HR's control more than this game tho, HR is just more...immersive imo.

Alchemist

Not quite sure why I doubted this game being in the minority that loved Heavy Rain. Thoroughly enjoyed the demo and I can't wait to play the full game next week.

antipod

It's actually very strange that Russia will get US version. All Sony titles was Europe version.Last of Us, God of War:A, Twisted Metal. But game releases in Europe on October 11th, but in Russia on October 9th.

It is released here in Sweden on the 9th though. At least that is what Webhallen, where I ordered it from, has as release date. Also seems that is the same date in Germany (the game is damn expensive on amazon.de though). So, seems it is only the UK where it is released on the 11th, having friday releases as usual. UK != Europe :)

oh wow that's even weirder than I thought it is lol. Still digging HR's control more than this game tho, HR is just more...immersive imo.
I think it is really simple once you figure it out. It's more immersive to me than HR, because I don't have to see these giant button prompts all the time and do weird motions (that you can fuck up easily leading to funny but immersive breaking results). In Beyond you just do what feels natural and to me that's really cool (especially since it works).

Here are some quick and dirty examples using the pictures from the OT:

1. You press up
2. You press down-left. The game is very lenient and also accepts the approximate (which is just down or left)
3. You can press right for the door or down-left for the trunk (or just left)

As you can see it makes perfect sense. I suggest playing the demo again with this new knowledge.

Gertso

Neo Member
I'm confused by the rules. Are we only allowed to shower the game with praises and can't say anything objective about David Cage or the game? That seems rather silly that we can't offer up any constructive criticism, even if we still like the game. It all seems rather...boring. David Cage is a blowhard, terrible writer, and delusional about how revolutionary his games are but I still greatly enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain despite both being deeply DEEPLY flawed.

I just finished the demo....did anyone get any technical issues regarding Jodies face textures? For like 5 minutes her entire face went black. :l

Otherwise, I was kind of digging the demo. Love that Ghost Trick/Geist vibe the game had to it. Gonna wait for a price drop tho.

EDIT: Ellie and Jodie are two cute chicks and I get them confused, sue me
Nope, had no problems on 4 runs. How are the loading times for you? If they are too long you might get streaming problems in the full game resulting in these kind of glitches. You should rebuild the PS3 database in that case, at least it helped for me once.

I just got answer from my internet store, I asked them about cuts in US and EU and they said: Both versions, EU and US, has been cut.
It's very respected store. They are official partners of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. And they NEVER answer any question if they are not 100% sure. But at the same time they are saying what their distributors/Sony contacts told them.
Mhm, man that sucks.

I didn't even know the demo was out... my God, I am behind the times.

Downloading right now.

I really hope the story and acting for this game is better than Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain had a great concept and great individual scenes, but was such a massive failure on the narrative front... but it still was an interesting experiment, so I don't regret trying it. Have high hopes for Beyond. I hope Cage has written a better script this time around. Plus, how can Dafoe ever disappoint?

Ithil

I'm confused by the rules. Are we only allowed to shower the game with praises and can't say anything objective about David Cage or the game? That seems rather silly that we can't offer up any constructive criticism, even if we still like the game. It all seems rather...boring. David Cage is a blowhard, terrible writer, and delusional about how revolutionary his games are but I still greatly enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain despite both being deeply DEEPLY flawed.

The rules are don't walk into this David Cage thread to tell everyone all about how you hate David Cage and won't be playing this.

DukeBobby

You just can't say stuff like "it's not a game" or "David Cage should do movies instead."

Criticism is welcome.

Top Bottom