• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

I'm really hyped for this. Been on blackout since the original long trailer and only caught glimpses of the military trailer. Having really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, I'm all in for any David Cage game.

I played the first hour and a half of the game sooooo amazing

The Party during middle aged ellie
I was talking to the guy at the part and he put his hand on my ass, so I moved them up but gave him a kiss because I thought it was sweet how he didn't make fun of my link with Aidan. Then he called me a slut and said I was following him like a puppy dog. . . .
So I threw some pots and pans at him then a convection oven at him. He stopped moving and I said "Oh shit I killed him." I left and he was still alive I kind of felt disappointed and happy at the same time. . . .

I love this game already.

Edit: I misspelled spoiler and had a panic attack when I tabbed back and it wasn't in spoiler tag. . .

A related video about games.

Fix your spoiler tag please :) edit: and you already did :)

I don't get to judge though because I was a hot mess accidentally in the Last of Us thread.

Sorry :(. I just get all flustered when i think about that kiss :p

Leeness

Fix your spoiler tag please :) edit: and you already did :)

I don't get to judge though because I was a hot mess accidentally in the Last of Us thread.

Wishing I still had friends working at GameStop. Wait, I think I still do, but not anywhere near my house... grrr.

Oh well, I'll just do all my errands before 10am and then be at my GameStop when the doors open (San Jose, CA)

Excellent, managed to hold a copy for pickup via Redbox down the street. New games aren't really in the budget for a bit, looking forward to playing though!

HardRojo

Some friends of mine already got their copies here in Peru, I'm jelly.
599374_731785656847894_2007743591_n.jpg
I would get it here but I'm not too fond of the Spanish in the boxart even though I'm Peruvian myself, I've grown way too accustomed to English, I do all my gaming in that language :(

calder

Ah boo, I just went to go buy it on the Store but it's not a Day 1 Digital title? Weird.

I really doubt I'll pick it up in stores tomorrow, if it's not on PSN I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

Ah boo, I just went to go buy it on the Store but it's not a Day 1 Digital title? Weird.

I really doubt I'll pick it up in stores tomorrow, if it's not on PSN I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

Hopefully all of Sony's promises with the store and digital content for the PS4 pan out. There really isn't an excuse for a first party title to not be offered Day 1 digitally.

Edit: Actually, I think the store will update later today for Beyond and also to provide SoC to PS+ members. So technically Day 1, but the timing is still sort of weird since it won't be until around 4 pm, and then all the downloading and installation.

Lemstar

Hopefully all of Sony's promises with the store and digital content for the PS4 pan out. There really isn't an excuse for a first party title to not be offered Day 1 digitally.

Edit: Actually, I think the store will update later today for Beyond and also to provide SoC to PS+ members. So technically Day 1, but the timing is still sort of weird since it won't be until around 4 pm, and then all the downloading and installation.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/27/last-chance-to-pre-order-beyond-two-souls/#comment-902207

David Cage had a live interview with the readers of 20 Minutes newspaper (in French), yesterday: http://www.20minutes.fr/vousinterviewez/1232181-20131004-interviewez-david-cage-createur-jeux-video

He talked about working at Quantic Dream, QD's next game on the PS4, making video games in France, QTEs, playing Metal Gear Solid, Fumito Ueda, making games for PC, not making sequels, etc. I'll translate later if people are interested.

David Cage said:
There are so many stories and emotions to create that it's difficult for me to revisit things I've already developed

Oh God yes! That's the best way to create things. Thanks, David.

I also agree that the supernatural is not the main point of Beyond. It's a literary tool to ask philosophical questions about life and death (and tell. While I'm not a fan of fantasy or science fiction (I have no interest in monsters, magic or robots, as I'm interested in human beings and their lives, their joy and suffering), using supernatural elements in Beyond has freed David Cage -creatively- to get his point across more efficiently. The problem with Heavy Rain is that it's (almost) strictly realistic so they had to do whatever they could within this frame. In the end, we got a crime story/drama, which is nice, but felt to me like 'just another genre story'. However, once you allow yourself to write things that wouldn't be possible in the physical world, everything is possible. It's easy to over-indulge in the supernatural and just write mindless escapism (Game of Thrones is cool, but does it tell anything significant about life and the human condition?) but Cage seems to have always kept his point in mind. He used only what was strictly necessary in Beyond.

Cage also said 'It's a pretext to tell the life of someone who has to accept his/her difference and accept him/herself as he/she is'.

I totally agree and that's why I identified so much with Jodie*. I'm not a girl, I don't live with an entity, but I am a person who's been struggling with accepting myself, for different reasons. I think any person who's in the same situation can identify with Jodie, if only in a metaphorical way.

*(not to mention I have known loneliness, hostility from my parents, thoughts of giving up and commit suicide, and I've even experienced being homeless for a very short period of time and that kind of thing can traumatize you)

So excited, I will have the game in one hour. I don't have anything to do today but play the game :)

Let's hope I love it as I love HR.

Ceebs

Just grabbed this from a local Redbox and have the day off tomorrow. Lets see if I can power through it in a day.

Good job guys (especially Repli who did the OT). We managed to create a QD thread that didn't go to shit during the first 15 (or 30) pages. It's so focused in fact that the executive producer and co-CEO is actually able to enjoy the thread and garner honest positive/negative feedback without having to wade through bullshit:

neuebitmap59yuqi.jpg

Kolma

I'm so excited to pick this up tomorrow after work!
Well have gf pick it up at least since she works right next to the gamestop where I'm getting it from.
Never played Heavy Rain nor Indigo Prophecy so this will be my first Cage game.
Loved the demo and love Ellen Page so I'm hoping 1+1 = awesome experience.

Replicant

Good job guys (especially Repli who did the OT). We managed to create a QD thread that didn't go to shit during the first 15 (or 30) pages. It's so focused in fact that the executive producer and co-CEO is actually able to enjoy the thread and garner honest positive/negative feedback without having to wade through bullshit:

neuebitmap59yuqi.jpg

I'm just grateful that the mods, especially Y2Kev and Kagari, are watching over the thread. Without them, this thread would be a big mess.

Also, my game is finally shipped! But knowing EB Games' shipping time, I won't get it until Friday. :/

EHQlVcO.png

DieH@rd

Banned
Can't say I agree with that. The gameplay mechanics in Beyond are consierably more complicated that HR (in particular, all the Aiden mechanics) I got a bunch of my casual/non-gamer friends to try out HR with reaosnable success. I can't see that happening with Beyond.

Beyond is going to suffer from being too complex for casual gamers, and not being enough of a "real game" for "core" types.

Aiden gameplay is indeed more complicated than anything in HR, but causals can play Aiden or entire game [aiden+jodie] with phone/tablet touchscreen. So there's that...

jackb2424

Banned
Holy crap I just checked the redbox by my place on a whim and Beyond was there. I've been on blackout since last E3 and I hardly ever do that. I love these types of games. I hope its awesome!

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just put in my reservation for the game at Redbox (brand new one just opened in the good part of town--smallish town too) gonna pick it up tomorrow morning.

JESUS the music in this game is beautiful. No way Balfe did this by himself. There is probably a fair share of Corbeil in there or Zimmer lend a hand, because it trashes his work on AssCreed 3.

Very cool. Any word if the DLC is going to be available to buy on PSN right away? or is it exclusive content for a while? Not sure if I'll be able to get a Limited Edition version.

Have you played it yet?
Nope. Bought the regular edition. Will trade it in towards GTA V after I'm done and will play the DLC as soon as I get my SE (that I will keep) together with you folks. However, there is already a link to the PSN store mentioning the DLC in the menu, so you can probably buy it soon as well.

Got it!!!!

gaf2rszn.jpg

Wow, the graphics and the performance capture feel so next gen. I think I played only one hour and I already feel connected with Jodie, in one of the scenes, I really felt sad for her, very moving stuff and is only the beginning of the game

The use of the right stick to interact is genious. My only complains so far are that some animations feel a little "gamy", I guess they didn't use the performance capture for everything. Also sometimes I feel like the white dot should be visible from more distance, but is not big deal.

Top Bottom