• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Got it!!!!

gaf2rszn.jpg

Wow, the graphics and the performance capture feel so next gen. I think I played only one hour and I already feel connected with Jodie, in one of the scenes, I really felt sad for her, very moving stuff and is only the beginning of the game

The use of the right stick to interact is genious. My only complains so far are that some animations feel a little "gamy", I guess the didn't use the performance capture for everything. Also sometimes I feel like the white dot should be visible from more distance, but is not big deal.

Safe for the resolution and framerate, the game does feel somewhat next-gen (the animation is a big plus). I'm not so surprised when Quantic Dream said The Dark Sorcerer used pretty much the same engine from Beyond, except they just bumped rendering and texture resolution to native 1080p.

Also the smoke/blur and particle effects are impressive, especially in the last chapter.

RobbieNick

Got it from Redbox after leaving work at 1 AM. Played the first 90 minutes or so. Very interesting and different, but the fact that it's such an "interactive movie" per se makes me want to just Gamefly rent it rather than own it. But I do like how you get to basically direct it at times ending with very different results.
After the birthday party, I had the option of revenge or just leave. Decided to just leave I felt it would have been out of character for her to get revenge on the others. Still, I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if I had taken the other path.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Got Asia Director's Cut edition with pre-order bonus.
img_20131008_134412.jpg

The art book only have 30 pages....

The art book is only 30 pages as all they did was film people......I kid I kid, Can not wait. Mine is paid off. don't care what reviews say. it's going to be an interesting ride

Just replayed the scene they showed at Tribeca. Damn this part got me:
Finding out about Stan's wife and then letting him talk to her. Jesus that was sad. This game has a lot of side stories that you can miss.

Endo Punk

I do hope this game reviews and sells well. Say what you want about Cage but the guy has his own style, he may come off as smug but you just don't see that many games like HR and Beyond, especially from a AAA production. I don't just want indie's to take risk, AAA devs need to also push new experiences. QTE is the evolution of the point and click genre and I definitely don't want these types of games to go away because they don't feel "gamey" enough.

Now if Cage was the acting the way he did and made run of the mill shooter or linear action game #3421 then yeah the guy is an asshole. lol.

So how much variation in the endings is there for people that have played? Given Jodie can't die in the middle of the game I'd have to imagine it's considerably limited when compared to Heavy Rain.

ThankeeSai

Just changed my Shopto pre-order to the SE. Hope they don't pull a Wind Waker and deliver it a day late :(

Roll on Thursday! (hopefully)

Just changed my Shopto pre-order to the SE. Hope they don't pull a Wind Waker and deliver it a day late :(

Roll on Thursday! (hopefully)

My Wind Waker didn't arrive till yesterday!

Apparently there was an issue with the free keyrings, which is why they were sent out late.

Fingers crossed this will get shipped on Wednesday.

nib95

Banned
Tesco Direct has my order as "partially shipped". What does that even mean? Anyway, last time I order a big release from Tesco. Amazon or ShopTo only from now on, or HMV (retail).

nib95

Banned
I've finished the game and it was AHMAZING!

- it took me between 11-12 hrs, but I did not measure it precisely. I've cut one or two chapters to be shorter intentionally, but I've respected my choices, no going back :)
- best visuals on PS3, really really stunning in some parts. UI and gameplay were much better than in HR [especially Aiden]
- journalists trashed that military section in Somalia, but in my playtrough I EJOYED IT A LOT!!! They did not receive gameplay training required to play that section. It was really fun and tactical, and it had one action sequence manged to visually trash similar Uncharted section! [Team ICE was mentioned in ending credits :D ]
- technical problems were very minimal, they did not have impact on my experience at all - very rare texture streaming [UE3 fade in of HQ texture], slight fps drop during savegame icon when HDD was in heavy use [few secs]
- 2.33:1 ratio served the game really well, I barely noticed it.
- great music
- very streamlined story that kept me very engaged, Cage really knows how to keep player wanting for more, with perfect ups and downs in terms of intensity. Ending was... surprisingly epic. :)
- Page/Dafoe gave 110% percent, their characters were great. Some side-characters did not get much depth (those who appeared only in 1-2 chapters), but this game is fully focused on the story of Jodie. Page/kid actor delivered, year of strong female characters continues to shine.

What to say.... except that HR and Beyond are two very different game in term of style (dark noir tale vs exploration of one strange life), but Beyond managed to be better in every aspect I can think of... HR was one of my favorite games in PS3 1st party offering, and Beyond is better and way more accessible to non gamers. It has to be played by everyone.

And for the sake of everything holy GAF, try to avoid spoilers AT ALL COSTS!!! Ending and some other important aspects of the story are really easy to be spoiled.

Agree 100%. However, I do insist that the character called Ryan (he's in the demo) deserves recognition for his acting, too.

Awesome. Interesting that the two games are quite different, that's good to hear and shows that Cage isn't a one trick pony, and is up for some changes in dynamic and approach. These types of games are a rarity, so I hope they don't disappear. These days it's fps, fps, fps, action, action, adventure, racing, racing, followed by fps, fps, fps. So it's nice to have these type of game to mix things up a bit.

Zemm

Good job guys (especially Repli who did the OT). We managed to create a QD thread that didn't go to shit during the first 15 (or 30) pages. It's so focused in fact that the executive producer and co-CEO is actually able to enjoy the thread and garner honest positive/negative feedback without having to wade through bullshit:

neuebitmap59yuqi.jpg

Hopefully he doesn't read the review thread which is going to be a complete mess full of one line "zingers".

Tracking Information: Status: Not yet dispatched
Latest Event: Order Received - 27 Aug 2013 12:49:40
Description: We've received your order but we haven't started preparing it for dispatch yet.
Delivery estimate Friday 11 Oct 2013 Beyond: Two Souls Special Edition (PS3)
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Come on Amazon don't let me down!

elektrixx

Banned
Has anything more being said about a downloadable version? I'm Googling about but most of the articles are from a month ago and may be outdated.

Sanctuary

Might actually play this game just because of Page. Loved her before she was a household name too (the series ReGenesis and the movie Hard Candy).

Good job guys (especially Repli who did the OT). We managed to create a QD thread that didn't go to shit during the first 15 (or 30) pages. It's so focused in fact that the executive producer and co-CEO is actually able to enjoy the thread and garner honest positive/negative feedback without having to wade through bullshit:

neuebitmap59yuqi.jpg

Bonjour à M. de Fondaumière et à toute l'équipe de Quantic Dream, félicitations pour votre jeu ! Continuez comme ça :)

Ezio

Copy should be delivered today. I'll be playing this along with KH1.5 and GTA5 so who knows when I will finish, damn backlogs.

forgot this came out today: Redbox reserved! At least this furlough affords me the opportunity to lounge around like I did in my 20s and play games all day while the wife is at work.

ttocs

Really looking forward to playing this after work today. I hope my copy from Amazon comes while I'm at work so I can immediately start playing when I get home.

I hope I like this protagonist better. The thing I didn't like about Heavy Rain was Ethan Mars.

I hope this comes out on PSN. I am done with getting physical copies.

Top Bottom