• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Well I teared up a bit when I packed up the teddy. That was pretty sad.

You should beat it with ease. Also it does fit in rather nicely.

Oh it isn't a challenge. I just hope the stealth/action doesn't ruin the pacing by overstaying within the flow of the game. It feels like that after Navajo, the narrative is on a rise and beginning to unravel things, so I really don't want anything to try and bog down on a particular mechanic showcase or a particular point for too long.

Maybe I'm just getting impatient because I put myself into one helluva backlog situation that was already overwhelming.

But that's good to hear though.

Ce-Lin

wow so many details I keep picking on my 2nd playthrough, and of course I concur the graphics are just insane, insane as you can't believe the PS3 hardware is rendering what's on screen.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can totally see why the reviewers are so split with how the story goes. I really liked it overall though, even if it has some missteps and oddities throughout.

Main things of note:
I found the most powerful scene was the entirety of the Homeless chapter. I also really liked the creepier turn some of the early child stuff had like My Imaginary Friend, or the various popups of Nathan's daughter/wife. I found the Embassy mission and The Dinner stuff fun to play and wish there was more exploration of that segment of her life. More sorta laid back missions or normal world stuff with Jodie and Aiden.

I'm surprised the earliest the game went is with Jodie already calling him Aiden and being aware of him. Is there ever an explanation on where the name came from? If so I must have missed it.

The Navajo segment is weird. I get why it's here but it really took awhile, and even at the very end(I chose Life) I didn't actually remember who Jay was at first. I never felt like Jodie really interacted much with the boys there. Overall it stands out a lot in the whole line of her life as some sort of crazy ministory, and I'm not surprised to see such mixed opinions on it.

The Mission itself was my least favorite to play. Most involved mechanically but considering all you can do it overstayed its welcome and I personally had a lot of kooky camera angles seemingly directing me somewhere then swinging around. This is the main time in the game the whole "you can't die" thing detracted for me, when in contrast to the Embassy thing which is more being stealthy using Aiden to mess around, being directly in the line of danger yet not really being in danger stands out. I saw her killing the kid's dad from a mile away when he was introduced/left, though the overall message of it traumatizing her was fine. But Ryan...

Ryan's character could have been done a lot better to me. He is introduced as basically an asshole to you, but during the Dinner she likes him. okay, time passed and they interacted more, but the player has no reason to like him. Then that scene after her mission where she hears about who she really killed, where he again acts like an asshole about it instead of being more understanding and talking it out.

After this stuff, I gave him the cold shoulder every time. Even during the dinner I didn't clean, ordered pizza, used Aiden to fuck it all up. The talk when they are reintroduced to take out the next rift, I was threatening towards him. Didn't talk during the interrogation and he lost an eye. The scene itself where you both escape and are nearly freezing, however, actually made me feel really bad for him. He asked if I was still mad, said of course, then he confessed his love. I still said no(and why does he love her?). Then he tries AGAIN later and I had her think about it this time. But then Cole/Ryan help her out of the room and during the run to the end he gives her the belt to protect her, he really did a lot around that point and in the end I actually ended up picking him during the ending. It felt the most right for her character imo...but goddayum. The initial CIA pickup is one thing, but the helicopter scene that ends up being the pivotal moment of Jodie's life is basically because of him handling things like an asshole. And I don't think it was really intended that way, as the game pushes you towards him a lot and during the later stuff makes you outright pity him. Now, someone might say "well if you picked him at the end they did an alright job", but it's partially because the other options seemed odd in the context of all that happened.

Nathan also, I am not super happy with. Once they started dabbling into what happened to his family I had a bad feeling he was going to be messing with the rift to bring them back and it was practically dead on. Now, is that a bad thing by itself? Not really. It started to lose me when he channeled Jodie in his ofifce, and you hear them screaming LET ME DIE, and he instead snaps and accuses Jodie of just saying that. This is after he saw firsthand how badly this stuff goes with the Conductor chapter, and his entire plan was completely moronic. I don't know how many options there are for what happens to him, but as Jodie I was always truthful to him and understanding, and he ended up committing suicide. I'm fine with that--but he was a smart guy and even if he was totally devastated by it, it didn't seem to fit with how he acted previously.

So my main issue with the writing is some character motivation/consistency stuff. I think the birthday party and homeless chapter have super exaggerated moments of this as well, as the whole idea of the guys who beat up Stan to then, apparently, follow them to this abandoned building, set it on fire, wait around at the scene, and then attacking her as she escaped is insane. Reading about her just outright getting knocked out in the building makes a lot more sense to me. The birthday party seemed to send a message about how fickle teenagers are with the guy playing you, but the pacing of the segment was ramped too extremely. They all just lash out after she gets a book as a gift, after just being shown and SCARED by the entity Jodie has. So let's burn a cigarette on her and lock her in a closet!

All that said, I was actually really surprised at the final twist. I didn't see the twin being stillborn at birth explanation coming at all. The overarching plotline to me was fine even if I suppose looking back I guess I would have preferred a more simple personal story instead of it going in a more epic direction, but I totally see why they did it all. Especially when it all loops around to her actual birth and why her mother was taken away. She was always being watched, even in her early home, was always destined to be the CIA's bitch to use Aiden and help them, then being tossed out when no longer useful. Not a huge fan of the very final epilogue scene, but eh.

On the tech side, like everyone is saying, game is gorgeous. The faces, especially after crying, look nuts. Can't wait to see what they can pump out on the PS4.

Control wise, I wasn't entirely sold on the changes even after beating it. It still has a lot of awkward just missed an interactive spot, has to slowly turn around and try to line up better. The white dot would be at odd angles at times where I would need to mess with the stick a bit to get it to work. The combat and evading sections are...eh. Heavy Rain combat was actually more engaging and tense to me and I think it was mostly due to the slowmo this uses instead of the actual right stick utilization, here it's constant and from my experience(sister and dad sometimes watching) it detracts from the moments when it's so rapid.
Running through the forest from the police having a lot of slowmo ducks and jumps made it hard to follow for them.

Overall, though, I did enjoy this a lot. It's much better than Heavy Rain was to me. Also this post is a goddamn unfocused mess and I'm sorry, lol. It's like 3:30AM and I have the effects of some painkillers on me, so my mind is all over the place.

Really? Wow. Definitely trying that on my next playthrough.
Yeah. I vaguely remember these two, but there are more:

"I can see you Aiden. I can see you."
"Jodie, do you really think it is worth sacrificing your life to save this crazy world!?"

Kinda foreboding actually. They can probably see flashes of the future too.

I'd say Navajo was the worst thing about the whole game,
some things there were more ridiculous than what was in Fahrenheit. I was waiting for Jodie to wake up thinking this must be a nightmare.
Yeah, at least it was properly explained unlike Fahrenheit. It uses some clichés of course, but it wasn't that bad. Chapter was just too long.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I dunno, other than the opening of the homeless chapter blatant logic flaw (which could have been so easily avoided if Jodie just told Stan to please not call 911) I really didn't find anything too bad and worth complaining about the plot yet. Yes, there's naiveté and exaggerations left and right, that are very typical of all his games, but IMO that somehow works well, and never bothered me. I have a bad feeling though that the game might collapse unto itself Fahrenheit style, seeing that so many people reviewing it didn't like it. If it holds this level it had so far, I really don't see why would anyone complain so much, considering how much TWD was praised, which from what I've played was nearly universally inferior to this game.

Weird. I thought that scene was really terrible.
"OMG, she got me a book, let's lock her in the closet." Blech!

Eh, different life experiences I guess. When I was growing up in grade school there was a game that we played, well a game that everyone else played, called dungeon. Basically, the goal of the game was too keep me inside the stairwell area behind the school cafeteria until recess ended. That actually wasn't that bad unless the fat kid in class decided to sit on my head. The bad part was when - well see we didn't really have a playground, it was an asphalt parking lot - we had the rummage sale. Basically a garage sale for the school. They'd block off half the parking lot, so if the classmates wanted to play dungeon, I got shoved down a proper stairwell, the one with like 20 or so steps leading to the basement where the janitor lived. Being locked in my father's shoe closet was also a fun game my older brother liked to play and, well, all my siblings liked to play Houdini, i.e put me in a sleeping bag and pad lock the zipper and count how long it would take me to get out.

But besides that they really got awkward slow dancing thing down in that scene. Reminded me of awkward grade school dances.

Papercuts

I dunno, other than the opening of the homeless chapter blatant logic flaw (which could have been so easily avoided if Jodie just told Stan to please not call 911) I really didn't find anything too bad and worth complaining about the plot yet. Yes, there's naiveté and exaggerations left and right, that are very typical of all his games, but IMO that somehow works well, and never bothered me. I have a bad feeling though that the game might collapse unto itself Fahrenheit style, seeing that so many people reviewing it didn't like it. If it holds this level it had so far, I really don't see why would anyone complain so much, considering how much TWD was praised, which from what I've played was nearly universally inferior to this game.

I am bewildered by the praise TWD gets yet the harsh magnifying glass others attempting similar things get, personally.

Carl

Also haven't had many problems with plot so far. Also not seeing how
Novajo was any more "ridiculous" than any other part of the game

Also haven't had many problems with plot so far. Also not seeing how
Novajo was any more "ridiculous" than any other part of the game

It was likely due to the cultural cliches. I know when the door opened and I saw who it was nationality-wise, I know I rolled my eyes a little.
Not necessarily a bad thing, but it was one of the more predictable and trope-ish sections of the game.

^And that sucks to hear. Hopefully it doesn't ruin your enjoyment. The worst I've come across was something to do with The Mission I think from un-highlighting the wrong post....

wow so many details I keep picking on my 2nd playthrough, and of course I concur the graphics are just insane, insane as you can't believe the PS3 hardware is rendering what's on screen.
Yeah the game has a lot of details. For example during
"My Imaginary Friend" you can find a picture that shows how Susan (fake mum) was pregnant for the first time and how her baby died after birth. That's why they were so desperate to adopt a child (Jodie).

Ryan's character could have been done a lot better to me. He is introduced as basically an asshole to you, but during the Dinner she likes him. okay, time passed and they interacted more, but the player has no reason to like him. Then that scene after her mission where she hears about who she really killed, where he again acts like an asshole about it instead of being more understanding and talking it out.
I think they did this chapter thing intentionally to make the player hate him. 2 years have passed, so she likes him again, but the player doesn't. Aiden also doesn't like him and this pretty much means the player has the power to fuck the date up. If they made him likeable or neutral before I think the majority of the players would have let her have her date and not try to destroy it to make her happy again. But this way it creates a conflict. I really had to fight to not interfere with Aiden, because I hated him too. I didn't want to fuck everything up for her, so I did nothing, but I still could sympathize with Aiden. There are many people who made a different choice I'm sure. This again plays into the conflict between Jodie and Aiden.

Now, someone might say "well if you picked him at the end they did an alright job", but it's partially because the other options seemed odd in the context of all that happened.
Zoey was/is the best option for me. Alone didn't feel right, because she just lost Aiden. Joey and Ryan are the cliché love endings and remind her of bad times or her past. Stan and his group cared for her, saved her, feed her and visited her every week for 3 months when she was in coma. They are the only ones that always cared for her without any bad intention. A new family. I thought about it for a while and ultimately came to this decision. I'd be lying when I say that my vision didn't get blurry when she stood in front of the door and Stan opened up.

Oh it isn't a challenge. I just hope the stealth/action doesn't ruin the pacing by overstaying within the flow of the game. It feels like that after Navajo, the narrative is on a rise and beginning to unravel things, so I really don't want anything to try and bog down on a particular mechanic showcase or a particular point for too long.

Maybe I'm just getting impatient because I put myself into one helluva backlog situation that was already overwhelming.

But that's good to hear though.
I just meant that you should be easily able to beat it tomorrow. You are pretty far. The Mission looks like it is going to drag on, but then it ends rather quickly, so I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome.

It does get a bit crazier towards the end, but no Fahrenheit level and everything that needs to be explained is explained. Also it fits in with the entire plot unlike Fahrenheit.

Papercuts

Yeah the game has a lot of details. For example during
"My Imaginary Friend" you can find a picture that shows how Susan (fake mum) was pregnant for the first time and how her baby died after birth. That's why they were so desperate to adopt a child (Jodie).

I think they did this chapter thing intentionally to make the player hate him. 2 years have passed, so she likes him again, but the player doesn't. Aiden also doesn't like him and this pretty much means the player has the power to fuck the date up. If they made him likeable or neutral before I think the majority of the players would have let her have her date and not try to destroy it to make her happy again. But this way it creates a conflict. I really had to fight to not interfere with Aiden, because I hated him too. I didn't want to fuck everything up for her, so I did nothing, but I still could sympathize with Aiden. There are many people who made a different choice I'm sure. This again plays into the conflict between Jodie and Aiden.

Zoey was/is the best option for me. Alone didn't feel right, because she just lost Aiden. Joey and Ryan are the cliché love endings and remind her of bad times or her past. Stan and his group cared for her, saved her, feed her and visited her every week for 3 months when she was in coma. They are the only ones that always cared for her without any bad intention. A new family. I thought about it for a while and ultimately came to this decision. I'd be lying when I say that my vision didn't get blurry when she stood in front of the door and Stan opened up.

I should have mentioned in that post I haven't actually seen the other endings yet, I just did the Ryan one then Jay. I guess it was the super on the nose showing when you glimpsed into each side, the Life one straight up showed Ryan on the floor, Jodie talked about love and getting older, and he said "I love you Jodie"(though maybe this changes?). It did seem the most cliche and hammy, but I gave into it. :p

Tomorrow I'm going to see the Zoey and Alone ending and probably dig around a lot. I have no idea what happens on the Beyond side yet. Reading trophies sounds like the biggest stuff would be save all/kill all possible. Is Shimshami(or whatever) possible to save?

The last of us looks better.Jodie's character model is obscenely good but I still find the last of us to be more impressive.

That's probably an art direction thing.I amnot much of a technical graphics person.

Beyond is generally rendering a lot smaller environments with less interaction, but I would say the visual consistency is higher than in TLoU...I am only early in the game, but the scene when you are entering
the house where the teenager's party plays out
looks nigh on real. The heights this game hits are above anything this gen on a pure visual level in my opinion. Only GoW3 reaches the same peaks

There's nothing badass about being cavalier toward automotive safety. Video games have gotten away with inappropriate portrayals of proper vehicular precautions for far too long. When was the last time a video game protagonist checked their blind spots before departing? How often do games reward the player for maintaining a sufficient following distance and practicing respectful signaling protocol? Has anyone, in the entire history of the video game industry, ever sat down at a computer running Maya and modeled a goddamn tire pressure gauge?

I'm done giving games a pass on this. Buckle your damn seat belt, Dafoe. All that filthy video game lucre ain't gonna save you from a cracked melon when you go flying through the windshield during a collision.

He is Willem Defoe! One of the greatest actors of his generation. The GREEN GOBLIN can take a perfunctory attitude towards car safety, if he so chooses.

As for the game, I am still debating picking this up right away. I might wait for a price drop on this. $60 seems a bit too steep, but we'll see.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished, I think the game is pretty fantastic, but I have a little question.

During 'The Dinner', when Aiden tricks Jodie to leaving the apartment and locks her out, Jodie seems to be able to use 'Aiden magic' against his will, and it hurts her. I don't understand that.

EDIT: The thirty minutes of DLC took fifteen minutes.

It's not thirty minutes just because you put a clock in it, QD.

Mr. RHC

I'm a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far! I had quite a few impressive "feels" and the graphics are really amazing!

I'm still getting used to the time jumps, it's interesting if not a little distracting.
That particular mirror scene eh, damn it!

Music is good too, there are less prominent themes as in Heavy Rain but I'm really curious to find out which themes were composed by Corbeil respectively by Balfe/Zimmer.

nOoblet16

Finished it and while I liked the game. I can't help but feel like this is the most inconsistent, disjointed and stupidest of David Cage's game as far as writing is concerned. Yet the acting and atmosphere were the absolute best. Still I think Heavy rain had the most consistent story out of all his games with only minor plot holes because of him keeping away information from the players up until the very end.

Also he should stay away from paranormal stories, dude simply doesn't know when to stop once he starts with the crazies.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it and while I liked the game. I can't help but feel like this is the most inconsistent, disjointed and stupidest of David Cage's game as far as writing is concerned. Yet the acting and atmosphere were the absolute best. Still I think Heavy rain had the most consistent story out of all his games with only minor plot holes because of him keeping away information from the players up until the very end.

Also he should stay away from paranormal stories, dude simply doesn't know when to stop once he starts with the crazies.
Heavy Rain has a lot of plot holes still. Why does he black out? Why does he wake up in random places with origami in his hand? Is it even related to the antagonist's origami?

Heavy Rain was maximum stupid. This game is stupid in the way The X-Files is stupid, Heavy Rain was broken stupid.

hohoXD123

Just finished it, awesome game. Certainly doesn't deserve the some of the bad reviews it got. The whole timeline thing is stupid though,
they give a reason for it at the end but it's stupid and could have been taken out entirely with little effect

During 'The Dinner', when Aiden tricks Jodie to leaving the apartment and locks her out, Jodie seems to be able to use 'Aiden magic' against his will, and it hurts her. I don't understand that.

Don't think it's her using Aiden magic, it's just her telling Aiden what to do like the rest of the game, only this time Aiden tries to go against it, hence the whole nosebleed thing.

Ricker

The Dinner is the only chapter so far that I didn't like as much as the others...because I wanted her to wear some high heels(or any kind of shoes really) and never found them lol... ;)

Stopped at the Mission last night,going to start that soon,graphics at the start are amazing in that section.

nOoblet16

Heavy Rain has a lot of plot holes still. Why does he black out? Why does he wake up in random places with origami in his hand? Is it even related to the antagonist's origami?

Heavy Rain was maximum stupid. This game is stupid in the way The X-Files is stupid, Heavy Rain was broken stupid.
The black outs are not plot holes and so were the origamis, it's just never explained why they happen and even then you can guess it might have been because of his trauma of losing Jason. They do nothing for the story outside of him losing the sight of his son.

A plot hole would be something that causes inconsistency or gaps, like the Antique shop scene in Heavy rain or (Beyond final mission spoiler)
showing that Dawkins has been slowly driven into lunacy and delusion because of Jodie helping him communicate with his family.....and they do this just before the final level, there's a time frame of 15 years between these two chapters in which the majority of the game is set and nowhere do we see any signs of this.
. Or (mid story spoiler about The mission)
A CIA operative not even aware of the current happenings of the world and needs TV News to tell her that she just assassinated a democratically elected president. Or the fact that CIA is after her pretty much because she went AWOL.
Or (end game spoilers)
Small things like why exactly did she have the option to die or choose life when the explosion itself was instantaneous.
or (early story spoilers)
Where do the monsters in the early years come from? If they were always there then what difference did creating a rift make? And why do these personal monsters of her go away when someone's around? When the same kind of monsters who came from the rift later in the story ended up killing everyone. The only special ability Jodie has is her connection to an entity and that's about it, outside of that there is nothing special about her, she's obviously not a psychic or someone who has the power to communicate and see the dead on her own.

StuBurns

Banned
The black outs are not plot holes and so were the origamis, it's just never explained why they happen and even then you can guess it might have been because of his trauma of losing Jason. They do nothing for the story outside of him losing the sight of his son.
I completely disagree. They're used as red-herrings, so to not explain them was a plothole.

Atrophis

Got the game yesterday, found out my PS3 is no longer reading discs. Good job I already planned to buy a slim off a friend. Picking it up tonight and then time to marathon the game.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
This game is shocking ona super slim, they should be embarassed at how loud this game is on that machine. My mrs was trying to get into it with me, she gave up and just complained about how loud the drive is

I think the unlock-able video, "The Dark Sorcerer" is more entertaining than most of Beyond. David Cage should really try his hand at comedy and leave the heavy handed, emotionally torturous, political statement making plot-lines to the professionals.

nOoblet16

I completely disagree. They're used as red-herrings, so to not explain them was a plothole.

But then not all red herrings need to be explained, for eg. the Totem in inception is a red herring (Cobb's totem works the opposite way compared to other characters and all) and it's never explained why, but isn't necessary and it doesn't causes a plot hole. The way cage pulled it was poor writing but it surely wasn't a plot hole in my opinion at least..

StuBurns

Banned
But then not all red herrings need to be explained, for eg. the Totem in inception is a red herring (Cobb's totem works the opposite way compared to other characters and all) and it's never explained why, but isn't necessary and it doesn't causes a plot hole. The way cage pulled it was poor writing but it surely wasn't a plot hole in my opinion at least..
In no way is Cobb's totem a red-herring. The whole point of Inception is to display creators abilities to plant a seed in your mind, to perform inception. Cobb used his wife's totem to perform on inception on her, and Chris Nolan used Cobb's totem to perform inception on the audience.

She goes into her trance mode where she can see through Aiden (like during the embassy) and inflicts pain onto herself (nosebleed). Since this hurts Aiden too he willingly cooperates.

showing that Dawkins has been slowly driven into lunacy and delusion because of Jodie helping him communicate with his family.....and they do this just before the final level, there's a time frame of 15 years between these two chapters in which the majority of the game is set and nowhere do we see any signs of this.
Because there are not many chapters where we see him after his family died, so it happens off-screen. During separation it is strongly hinted at by the fact that Jodie expresses concern to Cole about Nathan's condition and that he likes to keep her till late at night to make her stare at objects (that belong to his family). It is also mentioned that he desperately tries to raise money for the lab. This already shows his obsession and it only gets stronger when the CIA takes away Jodie, the only thing stabilizing him.

Or (mid story spoiler about The mission)
A CIA operative not even aware of the current happenings of the world and needs TV News to tell her that she just assassinated a democratically elected president.
Not everyone is aware of every news. They could have put her into lockdown mode long before the mission to prepare her and not give her any access to news.

Or the fact that CIA is after her pretty much because she went AWOL.
They are after her because she is dangerous. She knows secrets. She is a failed experiment that needs to be taken care of. They put a lot of resources into her, so they obviously have a keen interest in bringing her back.

Or (end game spoilers)
Small things like why exactly did she have the option to die or choose life when the explosion itself was instantaneous.
or (early story spoilers)
Where do the monsters in the early years come from? If they were always there then what difference did creating a rift make?
It's a supernatural story. She died and was torn between the two worlds with the ability to choose. It doesn't have to make sense. The entities were always there. Like Navajo showed rifts were always created for one reason or another bringing entities into the world. A Condenser just makes it permanent and a lot more effective, since the rift is permanent and bigger.

I'm at the Condenser chapter and I'm not really enjoying this very much. Heavy Rain is one of my favourite PS3 games - I played through the whole thing in two sittings - but I'm struggling to muster up some enthusiasm to play Beyond. There's no tension to proceedings. I know from reading impressions and reviews that failing QTEs doesn't really punish the player, so they're not the high-octane, button-mashing fests they were in HR, where failing one input felt like a step closer to death. And maybe it's too early to complain about this, but the narrative is too fragmented to generate much in the way of drama or consistent atmosphere. The timeline jumping around with every chapter just feels detrimental as a whole.

It's not as interactive as HR either. I had no qualms with that game being labelled an "interactive movie", but Beyond feels like Quantic Dream are pushing too far in that direction this time. Flicking the right stick to mirror Jodie's on-screen action is growing tiresome already.

Low point thus far? The Party chapter, that was unintentionally hilarious. It was so badly executed, all of it.
"You bought me an old book as a present, I hate you! Let's lock her under the stairs!" I'm usually a saint in games with moral choices, but burning down the house just seemed oddly fitting with the scene. So that's what I did. I knocked everyone out with furniture and then I burnt down the house, lol. Showing Carrie how it's REALLY done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Really? I think "completing her actions" with the right stick is a huge advance from combat scenes in previous Cage games and I think I am actually a bit exhilarating when you're in the thick of it.

I'm surprised you thought the party scene was heavy handed though. Teenagers are absolute cunts. I bought every single line of that. Damn kids.

Ricker

I think the unlock-able video, "The Dark Sorcerer" is more entertaining than most of Beyond. David Cage should really try his hand at comedy and leave the heavy handed, emotionally torturous, political statement making plot-lines to the professionals.

I found my first Bonus,wasn't sure what it was, in the ''The Mission'' chapter lol...started watching it but stop because it was kinda spoilery and I haven't finished the game yet...

Cool that you enjoyed it. There are very valid criticisms to be have about the game itself, but I can't take anyone seriously that disagrees that Beyond is Cage's best written story by far. If you personally enjoy the story is another question entirely and I don't have any problem with someone who prefers HR more in this regard. However, purely factual, Beyond is better written. Less clumsy, less obvious plotholes, no borderline stupid moments like Press X to Jason and the story actually takes the time to explain stuff to you and where character motivations are coming from, unlike Heavy Rain. It's supernatural sure and that allows him to take some shortcuts, but it's still much better. The better dialogue and acting helps too of course.

Especially nice is the fact that the environment is actively used this time to convey story information and there is a lot of optional content you can find expanding on the characters.

I'm at the Condenser chapter and I'm not really enjoying this very much. Heavy Rain is one of my favourite PS3 games - I played through the whole thing in two sittings - but I'm struggling to muster up some enthusiasm to play Beyond. There's no tension to proceedings. I know from reading impressions and reviews that failing QTEs doesn't really punish the player, so they're not the high-octane, button-mashing fests they were in HR, where failing one input felt like a step closer to death. And maybe it's too early to complain about this, but the narrative is too fragmented to generate much in the way of drama or consistent atmosphere. The timeline jumping around with every chapter just feels detrimental as a whole.

It's not as interactive as HR either. I had no qualms with that game being labelled an "interactive movie", but Beyond feels like Quantic Dream are pushing too far in that direction this time. Flicking the right stick to mirror Jodie's on-screen action is growing tiresome already.

Low point thus far? The Party chapter, that was unintentionally hilarious. It was so badly executed, all of it.
"You bought me an old book as a present, I hate you! Let's lock her under the stairs!" I'm usually a saint in games with moral choices, but burning down the house just seemed oddly fitting with the scene. So that's what I did. I knocked everyone out with furniture and then I burnt down the house, lol. Showing Carrie how it's REALLY done.
Too bad. I loved the party chapter just as much as any good scene from HR.
My Imaginary Friend was so awesome too because of all the optional interactions: Playing with barbies, applying mothers lipstick, learning about her past by having a flashback looking at a picture, messing with Dad, grinning into the bathroom mirror, stealing a cookie etc.

The story becomes much better towards the end fortunately. There are some action scenes that lack tension, however that nothing has any consequence is wrong.
If you fail at the Condenser Jodie fails to close the rift and leaves the building.

Zafir

Really? I think "completing her actions" with the right stick is a huge advance from combat scenes in previous Cage games and I think I am actually a bit exhilarating when you're in the thick of it.
I agree, though, I'm not much of a fan of the way they do the QTE's in this game. I mean I get they got rid of prompts for it to be more cinematic, however on some occasions you have to kind of guess what way you should be moving. Especially with the brightness issues I have. I either turn the brightness up on the TV, and the game looks worse because of it, else I keep it where it is, and I miss QTEs because I can't see what she's doing(
Example being in the forest when running away, just couldn't see some of the branches thus missed the QTE's
).

Einbroch

Banned
I agree, though, I'm not much of a fan of the way they do the QTE's in this game. I mean I get they got rid of prompts for it to be more cinematic, however on some occasions you have to kind of guess what way you should be moving. Especially with the brightness issues I have. I either turn the brightness up on the TV, and the game looks worse because of it, else I keep it where it is, and I miss QTEs because I can't see what she's doing(
Example being in the forest when running away, just couldn't see some of the branches thus missed the QTE's
).

One of my biggest complaints, right here: the brightness. When it's dark, I can't see a damn thing.

hal9001

Banned
I am having one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. I have just completed the Condenser chapter and I am absolutely in love with it. This game is incredible. The soundtrack is so beautiful and very emotional. The graphics and animation are at next gen" level.

Anyone still hesitant about this game should go and play it as soon as they can. This is one of those games you have to see for yourself and really is one of the most unique experiences you will ever have.

(edit: oh, I missed the spoiler thread, should probably have written this there - nothing spoilery here though)

Another dump of feelings after the end.

Overall, a really impressive experience - but holy shit, it was a sad and depressing trip despite the reasonably happy ending I got, and I don't really feel like playing it again (mission accomplished there, Mr. Cage). If anyone has recommendations for a nice fun feelgood game to cleanse my palate, I'll take them.

The writing had some problems and the timeline bouncing was a bit much, even with the story justification for it. The slow-motion QTEs were sometimes ambiguous and in some scenes I was lost as to what the game wanted me to do or where I was supposed to go, but in retrospect it wasn't too bad. The worst moment was in the Navajo chapter when
I had to look for the forked tree that I wasn't even paying attention to in the cutscene. Yeah, it technically only required riding along the road, but I was thinking too much and wandered all over the first open field for ages.
Other than that, I actually liked the Navajo part - and the
homeless
chapter was really, really touching.

The immersion, writing and acting of the more successful and (relatively) down-to-earth parts was so good that I'd like this style of movie gameplay to be used for other genres. I already thought about this with Heavy Rain, but I'd honestly want to see a drama or even a sitcom with this style. Now _that_ would be experimental.

One of my biggest complaints, right here: the brightness. When it's dark, I can't see a damn thing.
Yeah where is the gamma option. Weird to exclude it. I turned up the brightness on my TV a little bit and it was much better while still looking good.

If anyone has recommendations for a nice fun feelgood game to cleanse my palate, I'll take them.
Probably the most depressing game I ever played. I recommend Octodad for some fun :D

Carl

Yeah that...wasn't the reason they
locked her in the cupboard
at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They had this on Ginx 'the first hour'. Looked kind of interesting, and kept my wife entertained which is unusual for a game. Getting tempted to pick it up just for that alone (I'm constantly keeping an eye out for something that'll make my wife even slightly interested in games. Closest so far is her beating the crap out of me in Wii boxing)

They had this on Ginx 'the first hour'. Looked kind of interesting, and kept my wife entertained which is unusual for a game. Getting tempted to pick it up just for that alone (I'm constantly keeping an eye out for something that'll make my wife even slightly interested in games. Closest so far is her beating the crap out of me in Wii boxing)
I can't speak for your wife of course, but every girl that I know loved Heavy Rain. Reaction to Beyond seems to be about the same.

Yeah that...wasn't the reason they
locked her in the cupboard
at all.
Yeah, it was the trigger. But not the reason.

Zafir

This is a game where I had to go from my calibrated picture mode to the game preset. I did it during the Navajo mission because the house and barns were just too dark.

The annoying thing for me, is I'm having this issue with game mode on.

Just gunna have to put up changing brightness for QTEs in the dark. >.<

Keihart

Just finished it, awesome game. Certainly doesn't deserve the some of the bad reviews it got. The whole timeline thing is stupid though,
they give a reason for it at the end but it's stupid and could have been taken out entirely with little effect

Don't think it's her using Aiden magic, it's just her telling Aiden what to do like the rest of the game, only this time Aiden tries to go against it, hence the whole nosebleed thing.

I think that scene was to show why Jodie was in so much pain at the star of the game in the undercover mission with Ryan. Maybe she was forcing Aiden to help her with the mission.

Top Bottom