• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

DC1

Thanks! Should be getting it soon.

The game is much more fluid than Heavy Rain.
The story is a little loose at times (with obvious wholes).,. however it is enjoyable.
The visual fidelity is absolutely amazing. Truth-fact: My wife (the candycrush, sleep deprived queen) walked by and asked if I was watching PS4 game play video. I smiled and said "no, PS3 game created by the devs that brought you Heavy Rain" by which she replied "Wow!".

Knowing what I know now, I would still picked this up day one.
I'm starting my second play though today

Grisby

Oh myyyyyy god I love the design of the (late game spoilers?)
underwater suit. Quantic Dream needs to give me an Abyss game.

I would walk around like that during the entire game if I could.

AkuMifune

Banned
Word to the wise. Don't even try to bring this game up over on The Wolf Among Us thread. It starts a barrage of David Cage hate. O_O
If Beyond was on Steam you'd see less of that for some reason I can't quite figure out.

Jerks.

Would love to have Heavy Rain on my PC though.

Nothing today. I'm actually not as pissed as I might otherwise have been thanks to Fables, but I'm not at all happy with Amazon. They've gone from absolutely, 100% reliable in getting me games on or before release day to being 50/50 and in some cases, games arriving a few days to a week later.

Not cool.

Mesoian

Finished, I think the game is pretty fantastic, but I have a little question.

During 'The Dinner', when Aiden tricks Jodie to leaving the apartment and locks her out, Jodie seems to be able to use 'Aiden magic' against his will, and it hurts her. I don't understand that.

EDIT: The thirty minutes of DLC took fifteen minutes.

It's not thirty minutes just because you put a clock in it, QD.

There is an implication that Jodie might have powers too as a result of being with Aiden for so long, but it is never properly explained and just comes off as confusing. It was probably a remnant of a different ending that was changed. There's elements of this in Africa as well when you take over the guard to kill the president and she keeps chanting "I can do this, I CAN DO THIS" when narratively, she's not doing anything, Aiden is.

If Beyond was on Steam you'd see less of that for some reason I can't quite figure out.

Jerks.

Would love to have Heavy Rain on my PC though.

Well I was just questioning how people give games like Walking Dead and Wolf Among us a pass in the gameplay department and not Beyond. Then the onslaught of "story/writing from David Cage sucks" began. lol

Oh well. :p

Mesoian

I'm curious as to how it's not received so well. Is it because it's a bit too on the nose and a cultural cliche? Or was it something else?

I'll explain.

Thematically, the game spends a lot of time equating the power of the Infraworld with religious ignorance. Any time people are spooked by Jodie and Aiden's powers, they equate her to devils or demons or witches, kneejerk reactions of declaring Jodie as evil because they don't understand what's really going on. Conversely, you have Nathan, Cole and Ryan being the voices of reasons, using technology and modern physical and mental training to allow Jodie better control of herself and the ability to withstand Aiden's influence on her body (which is a plothole in and of itself, but that's a different problem). It's modern science vs religious mumbo jumbo and how the good people are working to understand and harness the unknown, and the bad people are throwing their hands over their ears, crying in the corner and screaming about the devil. They spend 4 hours and use some EXTREMELY hamfisted scenes to drive this home (the birthday party especially).

So then you get to the desert, and suddenly, it's not about that anymore, technology has never mattered since you could get to the infraworld regardless, and all that religious mumbo jumbo is WAY more effective than the efforts of Nathan, the DPA or the military. It, literally, was just demons, and the rest of the game is good spirits versus demons. This entire scene is a hard left to what they spend almost 4 hours explaining to you and asks you to forget about a lot of the previous scenes. It's not something that you should have to force on the audience, there should have been allusions to it the whole time. But even when Jodie as a child complains about "the monsters" it's just the entities, not spirits or the lingering dead, just freaky "The darkness" aliens. It's incredibly hard to swallow and the entire chapter comes off as super cheesy. One minute, you're running from the government which wants to use you as a psychic super weapon, literally the next, you are fighting an ancient Navajo god of destruction. The themes of the story collide with each other and leave you with more questions then provided answers.

That and...Paul was stupid for staying. But the game tells you as much by killing him at the end of the sequence because "we just have to put up with this instead of trying to figure out why it keeps happening or moving away to a save place where we don't have to deal with the giant sand monster."

The navajo chapter was dumb. But it's representation of native americans was surprisingly good, the African level wasn't that bad either. THE NORTH KOREAN LEVEL THOUGH...HEY CASUAL RACISM! WHAT'S UP

Well I was just questioning how people give games like Walking Dead and Wolf Among us a pass in the gameplay department and not Beyond. Then the onslaught of "story/writing from David Cage sucks" began. lol

Oh well. :p

If the story in Beyond was better and supported the usage of the gameplay better, people would have less of a problem with it. The gameplay in TWD is extremely basic and doesn't do anything new, but it does what it does well enough where you never really get pulled out of the experience. The first time I played through TWD, there was a bug that made it so I couldn't get off the train and I had to reload. There are several instances in Beyond that aren't bugs but reduced my functionality in similar ways to that bug in TWD.

That and Beyond's disjointed chapters makes it feel almost episodic, so you spend more time piecing information together opposed to TWD which is more of an emotional roller coaster ride. Beyond is certainly more cerebral, but that makes it easy to punch holes in a lot of story elements. You can do the same in TWD but then it's more stuff like, "how did that child drag that grown ass man into the jewelry store by herself", small nitpicky stuff.

Sorc3r3r

So, just finished.

Magnifique.

Sometimes when playing i was saying myself:" Wow this is great, i wonder if this was in a traditional game, so many possibilities!"
Then reflecting i was like: "Hey this is already great!"

It's your take on doing videogames QD, and I respect that and best part is that I enjoy it.

Keep 'em coming. :)

hal9001

Banned
Can someone please make a Gif of Ryan's hilarious nod of approval during the montage chapter.

YaMdXU8.jpg

DC1

There is an implication that Jodie might have powers too as a result of being with Aiden for so long, but it is never properly explained and just comes off as confusing. It was probably a remnant of a different ending that was changed. There's elements of this in Africa as well when you take over the guard to kill the president and she keeps chanting "I can do this, I CAN DO THIS" when narratively, she's not doing anything, Aiden is.

There certainly was a transition that occurred.

As a child Jodie explained
that Aiden was like a lion and could not be controlled.

As an adult Jodie showed
that she had control over Aiden, to bend him to her will. Consider the dinner incident when Aiden locks Jodie outside of her apartment. At first Jodie pleads with him to open the door. Then, after frustration, she "forces" Aiden to open the door. This action (bending Aiden to her will) causes her nose to bleed.

Mesoian

There certainly was a transition that occurred.

As a child Jodie explained
that Aiden was like a lion and could not be controlled.

As an adult Jodie showed
that she had control over Aiden, to bend him to her will. Consider the dinner incident when Aiden locks Jodie outside of her apartment. At first Jodie pleads with him to open the door. Then, after frustration, she "forces" Aiden to open the door. This action (bending Aiden to her will) causes her nose to bleed.

Okay, so that was 1 line of dialogue and an extremely vague visual explanation for something that is SUPER IMPORTANT. That revelation alone should had it's own chapter.
Especially when Aiden's toll on Jodie's body seems so random. At the embassy, she basically needs to get carried out of there by Ryan for flipping some papers and knocking over a coffee cup. In the next chronological scene, she infiltrates a hostile warzone, kills 3 dozen people using mindflay and position techniques, is doing sick military combat moves in the bed of a truck, ninja flips off that speeding truck with a child in her arms, then takes out the president of a country without so much of a chapped lip. And then there's the thing in north korea where Jodie feels pain after the guy that Aiden is possessing gets shot in the head. That never happened prior to that and I did that to more than a few guys.

StuBurns

Banned
Her 'pain' is usually relative to her distance actually. That why the mission you're referring to hurts her the most, she is far further away than any other point.

Mesoian

Her 'pain' is usually relative to her distance actually. That why the mission you're referring to hurts her the most, she is far further away than any other point.

But that doesn't make any sense when I was taking out guys who were generally WAY FARTHER out in that mission. It might just be a storytelling vs. gameplay issue since, in those open areas, they don't do a great job of invisible walling you off like they do when you're inside a building but that kind of stuff never stopped being confusing. Considering all the stuff they over explain and flash back to throughout the story, a better explanation of why Jodie felt so much pain with Aiden using his powers at certain times versus other times would have been helpful to the audience.

I mean hell, in my playthrough, in the embacy mission, I switched back to Jodie as soon as Aiden left the bathroom and her nose was already bleeding. It's odd

But stuff like this is also why I would have liked dates and times for each chapter because that stuff could be explained away with "2 years and lots of phyiscal and mental training later..."

I'm still interested in knowing how much older Ryan is than Jodie.

Actually enjoying this alot more than I thought I would. I loved Heavy Rain but this is so much better so far.

I'm the kind of guy who plays through games like The Last of Us and goes through the action sequences as fast as possible to continue the story.

StuBurns

Banned
But that doesn't make any sense when I was taking out guys who were generally WAY FARTHER out in that mission. It might just be a storytelling vs. gameplay issue since, in those open areas, they don't do a great job of invisible walling you off like they do when you're inside a building but that kind of stuff never stopped being confusing. Considering all the stuff they over explain and flash back to throughout the story, a better explanation of why Jodie felt so much pain with Aiden using his powers at certain times versus other times would have been helpful to the audience.

I mean hell, in my playthrough, in the embacy mission, I switched back to Jodie as soon as Aiden left the bathroom and her nose was already bleeding. It's odd

But stuff like this is also why I would have liked dates and times for each chapter because that stuff could be explained away with "2 years and lots of phyiscal and mental training later..."

I'm still interested in knowing how much older Ryan is than Jodie.
It's not consistent, but there were a few times where I'd try and do something as Aiden, and she'd yell for me to come back because I was too far away, only when trying to interact though, I could always move as far as I wanted as long as I didn't do anything.

DC1

Okay, so that was 1 line of dialogue and an extremely vague visual explanation for something that is SUPER IMPORTANT. That revelation alone should had it's own chapter.
Especially when Aiden's toll on Jodie's body seems so random. At the embassy, she basically needs to get carried out of there by Ryan for flipping some papers and knocking over a coffee cup. In the next chronological scene, she infiltrates a hostile warzone, kills 3 dozen people using mindflay and position techniques, is doing sick military combat moves in the bed of a truck, ninja flips off that speeding truck with a child in her arms, then takes out the president of a country without so much of a chapped lip. And then there's the thing in north korea where Jodie feels pain after the guy that Aiden is possessing gets shot in the head. That never happened prior to that and I did that to more than a few guys.

I don't see anything in your rebuttal that counter points the example that I provided
However, I do want to note that everything you brought up is absolutely true :).

The issue here is inference (something that Cage relies heavily on) and contextual writing (one of the major criticisms attributed to Cage).

Mesoian

I don't see anything in your rebuttal that counter points the example that I provided
However, I do want to note that everything you brought up is absolutely true :).

The issue here is inference (something that Cage relies heavily on) and contextual writing (one of the major criticisms attributed to Cage).

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't correct, I'm saying it's underdeveloped, easy to miss and too important to the story to be glanced over as it is.

Did anyone get
the scene (supposedly) in The Mission where Jodie holds a gun to her chin? If so, how? I want to go through the levels differently next time and I didn't get that one in my first playthrough

DC1

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't correct, I'm saying it's underdeveloped, easy to miss and too important to the story to be glanced over as it is.

Then we are in complete agreement. I apologize for missing your point.

Please accept this internet hand shake of mutual infra-cage-world enlightenment.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't believe they cut any nudity, isn't it the same rating as Heavy Rain? Which had actual nudity, not strategically placed towels nudity.

Speaking of bits in trailers, it's awesome that the most bad ass shot in any trailers was actually her taking a waz.

And then there's the thing in north korea where Jodie feels pain after the guy that Aiden is possessing gets shot in the head. That never happened prior to that and I did that to more than a few guys.

To be fair, this gets a bit of explanation in that very scene:
"You could've warned me first." All the times when Aiden shoots the body he's inhabiting, he's presumably prepared. Maybe he leaves the body just before the actual gunshot, or maybe he can just resist the pain more. Either way, I didn't think it was a big deal.

Pretty sure you can get out of there without
Salim shooting you; when I played through that section Jodie got shot by some random dude on the street while trying to escape.
But yes, after that sequence.

That's where I was kind of confused, I
didn't get shot by him, but I knew it was possible. I got shot by someone on the street as well.

Since she sees through Aiden that's probably just her making herself feeling better, because Aiden is doing it for her. I don't think she has any real powers.

That and...Paul was stupid for staying. But the game tells you as much by killing him at the end of the sequence because "we just have to put up with this instead of trying to figure out why it keeps happening or moving away to a save place where we don't have to deal with the giant sand monster."
I think you are over analysing that scene a bit too much. The Condenser is still more powerful, because it can keep the rift open. The other ones are just temporarily and rather small. Also you can save Paul.

It only happens when she goes into trance mode (white eyes). In that mode she can see through Aiden directly. Otherwise she is relying on what he tells her. She does that because she needs to copy the documents. But it hurts her like hell, that's why she isn't doing it for most of the time. It presumably hurts Aiden too because of their connection, so she can use that to force him to do something. But since it hurts so much she uses it very sparingly.

Top Bottom