• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

So I have a question, now that I've finished.

What exactly is the difference between spirits such as Nathan's family that Jodie can see and communicate with and the mean scribbles with teeth that come after you? Do they ever elaborate on this and maybe I missed it?

And are there others like Jodie? Was her mother linked to an entity, or did she just have special psychic powers? I remember the scene in the cave during the Navajo segment where there was a drawing that depicted someone that was linked to a spirit, but they never really went into detail on that.

I'm up to
The Dinner

So far I'm happy with my $0.86 investment. Although the chapter before it was goofy as hell.

really? you're happy with your $0.86 investment for this game? EmptySpace feels like he should just come out of the screen and slap you in the face repeatedly. what a fucking insult.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It's Dafoe. He's a badass.

There's nothing badass about being cavalier toward automotive safety. Video games have gotten away with inappropriate portrayals of proper vehicular precautions for far too long. When was the last time a video game protagonist checked their blind spots before departing? How often do games reward the player for maintaining a sufficient following distance and practicing respectful signaling protocol? Has anyone, in the entire history of the video game industry, ever sat down at a computer running Maya and modeled a goddamn tire pressure gauge?

I'm done giving games a pass on this. Buckle your damn seat belt, Dafoe. All that filthy video game lucre ain't gonna save you from a cracked melon when you go flying through the windshield during a collision.

There's nothing badass about being cavalier toward automotive safety. Video games have gotten away with inappropriate portrayals of proper vehicular precautions for far too long. When was the last time a video game protagonist checked their blind spots before departing? How often do games reward the player for maintaining a sufficient following distance and practicing respectful signaling protocol? Has anyone, in the entire history of the video game industry, ever sat down at a computer running Maya and modeled a goddamn tire pressure gauge?

I'm done giving games a pass on this. Buckle your damn seat belt, Dafoe. All that filthy video game lucre ain't gonna save you from a cracked melon when you go flying through the windshield during a collision.

M2RRmMS.gif

Hey, I was joking :D

I'm pretty sure the book
(the present) was just an excuse for Jodie to set the house on fire.
Nathan knew it. He wanted it.
He's pure evil.
I hope I'm not right because I haven't finished the game yet ^^

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, the ending stuff.

A lot to take in, but I actually really liked this overall. Especially a huge leap above Heavy Rain. Have to let it sink in and type up something more thorough.

Carl

Man, I have no fucking idea how any reviewer game this game a 4/10.

I think I'm at the end. I just
met my mother
. This fucking game, man. This game.
Novajo
was fucking insanely cool and creepy. And
The Mission
? Man i felt like such a colossal twat at the end of that :(

I don't want to finish :(

Man, I have no fucking idea how any reviewer game this game a 4/10.

I think I'm at the end. I just
met my mother
. This fucking game, man. This game.
Novajo
was fucking insanely cool and creepy. And
The Mission
? Man i felt like such a colossal twat at the end of that :(

I don't want to finish :(

You've got maybe 1 or two more hours to go.

And then you can replay it.

Zafir

Half way? wow, Heavy Rain was like 6-7 hours if I remember correctly.
I really like the story so far. The first 3-4 hours are somewhat confusing but now it starts to get interesting.

BTW: chapter 8 spoiler I think:
Homeless (is it called "homeless" in english?). Jimmy died in the fire because I wanted to rescue the baby first and...I don't like him lol. Is it possible to let everyone die/ rescue everyone?
I managed to rescue everyone. I dunno about killing everyone though... Probably mess around with choices after I've completed it once.

I really like how the trophies wait until the end of the chapter to pop up. Far less distracting. I do find it weird though that they don't register until after you quit the game.

Playing this now, not too far I think, but it's pretty good. Excellent atmosphere to it. I DO have this feeling that I'd be enjoying the story more if it was told chronologically rather than out of sequence.

Does the jumping around in time end up serving some purpose by the end?

Einbroch

Banned
The out of order story is just...not good.

Mid/late game spoilers:
I still don't know how/why she left the CIA, and I've played probably 5-6 chapters after she leaves the CIA. It's a huge hole in the plot that has been bugging me.

Carl

Oh its bad. Its super bad

Why is it "super bad" I thought it was pretty cool
and did a good job exploring the different "entities" of the world, showing how they come into this world and showing the possibility of others having a connection with entities

Mid/late game spoilers:
I still don't know how/why she left the CIA, and I've played probably 5-6 chapters after she leaves the CIA. It's a huge hole in the plot that has been bugging me.

You don't find out til near the end.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's nothing badass about being cavalier toward automotive safety. Video games have gotten away with inappropriate portrayals of proper vehicular precautions for far too long.
What year would that be? Since the disco was selectable music on the stereo, I'm guessing 70s, maybe 80s. Back in the 70s no one pretty much cared about the seat belts. Maybe I'm wrong about the year entirely, but I was not under the impression that the game takes place in present time even when she grows older.

Speaking of driving in the game, the motorcycle scene is IMHO pretty much the best looking night-driving game there is.

krae_man

Upon further thinking I regret
Killing Jamal. I don't think Jodie would have went through with it. It makes more sense with her character and makes more sense with the way the story goes. Why am I wanted for treason when I did what I was asked and basically just went AWOL?

I don't feel too bad about it because I don't think the game gave enough proper hints that he might be good and never explained why they wanted it done in the first place. I was expecting something like "he would have been good for his people, but would have stopped selling oil to the US. The government wants him dead and replaced with a leader who will continue to sell us oil" or something more then "we were asked to do it" and nothing more.

If only his speeches in the flashbacks were subtitled(how does she not understand the language of the people she is infiltrating? Aiden being a universal translator would have been believable as well), I could have got a feel for the type of person he was before I made my decision. All you get is "these other militia types that look just like the militia types he keeps around him want him dead". How was I supposed to know he was the good guy?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What year would that be? Since the disco was selectable music on the stereo, I'm guessing 70s, maybe 80s. Back in the 70s no one pretty much cared about the seat belts. Maybe I'm wrong about the year entirely, but I was not under the impression that the game takes place in present time even when she grows older.

Speaking of driving in the game, the motorcycle scene is IMHO pretty much the best looking night-driving game there is.

It's gotta be somewhere around the 90's or early 00's. In
the dinner chapter there's a bottle of wine from 2001 which the guy says the dude at the store said was good, so I assume it's gotta be at least a couple years old.
That chapter can't be more than 10 years or so after the
birthday party chapter,
so it's gotta be relatively modern.

I was kinda trying to track the era by the TVs present in the various chapters, but it seems pretty hit-and-miss. In one of the childhood chapters Jodie's family has what appears to be some sort of rear projection TV, which seems kinda like a TIME PARADOX but maybe it was one of those old-school CRT rear projectors and not a DLP or similar.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Playing it last night btw, I have finally stumbled upon the first moment of (David)CageLogic, where all the Logic is in the Cage and screams to be let out. It's the Homeless scene. Why the hell would that homeless guy
take dying Jodie to his shelter and keep her there for days, instead of just calling 911 from that phone that was right there next to them, or yelling for someone to call the ambulance, or call the ambulance right after he's brought her to a warmth of his shelter or... anything other than keep potentially dying person in a place where none can really help her. He also didn't seem cookoo or anything, a pretty clear thinking man other than that. Maybe those weird flashbacks before she wakes up explain something, he seems to know after all that she's running away from someone
but I only started this scene before calling it a night.

Rhindle

So I have a question, now that I've finished.

What exactly is the difference between spirits such as Nathan's family that Jodie can see and communicate with and the mean scribbles with teeth that come after you? Do they ever elaborate on this and maybe I missed it?

And are there others like Jodie? Was her mother linked to an entity, or did she just have special psychic powers? I remember the scene in the cave during the Navajo segment where there was a drawing that depicted someone that was linked to a spirit, but they never really went into detail on that.
This never gets explained, as far as I can tell.

For most of the game, we're operating on teh assumption that the Infraworld is some sort of alternate dimension inhabited by the black squiggly monsters. Then it turns out that its also where dead souls go apparently. Then Cage completely muddles things up by introducing "beyond" as a textbook Judeo-Christian model of the afterlife, complete with blue skies and happy dead loved ones. And somehow that and the black hole infraworld continue to be one and the same.

HeelPower

So now that most people have played it, are the graphics/performances at least on par with TLOU?

The last of us looks better.Jodie's character model is obscenely good but I still find the last of us to be more impressive.

That's probably an art direction thing.I amnot much of a technical graphics person.

Upon further thinking I regret
Killing Jamal. I don't think Jodie would have went through with it. It makes more sense with her character and makes more sense with the way the story goes. Why am I wanted for treason when I did what I was asked and basically just went AWOL?

I don't feel too bad about it because I don't think the game gave enough proper hints that he might be good and never explained why they wanted it done in the first place. I was expecting something like "he would have been good for his people, but would have stopped selling oil to the US. The government wants him dead and replaced with a leader who will continue to sell us oil" or something more then "we were asked to do it" and nothing more.

If only his speeches in the flashbacks were subtitled(how does she not understand the language of the people she is infiltrating? Aiden being a universal translator would have been believable as well), I could have got a feel for the type of person he was before I made my decision. All you get is "these other militia types that look just like the militia types he keeps around him want him dead". How was I supposed to know he was the good guy?

I don't think you can't NOT do it. I believe they wanted it done because he would have created stability, and therefore, the CIA and other such agencies would have less work and less funding. I dunno.

Finally got the game today, few hours into it.

• Visuals are like wow. If the rumoured PS4 port did ever see the day it would be mind blowing

• Ellen Page is a very solid actress. Dafoe is Dafoe

• Have issues with the pacing and the structure in terms of timeline which I think is a bit unsettling at times

• Some ropey writing. I think if someone like TellTale had this graphical tech it would be fantastic given their talent for pacing and writing dialogue

• Disappointed in the leaner choice of dialogue options. They seem thinner than a Heavy Rain or Walking Dead

• It's not a terrible game by any means in my opinion, certainly not a 4 or 5/10 but I do hope for QD PS4 project some fresh perspective is brought in for better writing, gameplay options and more conversation options for the player

Overall I've not finished the game and I obviously have some issues but I'm glad I bought it as I believe given some improvements QD could be up there with recent TellTale stuff

Started playing this tonight.
Up to the Homeless chapter, really liking it so far.
Graphics are superb, and the animation and overall quality is a big step up from Heavy Rain.
One complaint so far is the linearity, I feel like I have less actual freedom in the environments (despite having apparent free roam as Aiden) I think the game is way too restrictive in this regard. Heavy Rain gave you a lot more freedom to explore (i.e club scene/ scene in the police station etc) Conversely, in scenes where it doesn't need to be non-linear, I think it works really well, such as in the CIA welcome montage stuff, jumping from one bit to another was awesome.

Favourite thing so far is Page as Jodie, the acting + facial animation is really realistic.

For most of the game, we're operating on teh assumption that the Infraworld is some sort of alternate dimension inhabited by the black squiggly monsters. Then it turns out that its also where dead souls go apparently. Then Cage completely muddles things up by introducing "beyond" as a textbook Judeo-Christian model of the afterlife, complete with blue skies and happy dead loved ones. And somehow that and the black hole infraworld continue to be one and the same.

Why do I have a terrible feeling he'll use DLC to explain this?

Also, for everyone having issues with pacing, I did too. It takes a bit, but once you get going with the really juicy stuff, you'll find yourself hardly noticing the non-linearity.

vehn

End game spoilz

where exactly in the timeline does the prologue take place? Is it after hunted? I kept thinking the prologue was at the very end of the game but realized it wasn't after beating it.

HeelPower

Yes,the concept and mythos are arbitrarily changed throughout.Do they ever even explain why her mother had a soul tethered to her ?

SRTtoZ

Mid/late game spoilers:

It will all make sense.

Rhindle

End game spoilz

where exactly in the timeline does the prologue take place? Is it after hunted? I kept thinking the prologue was at the very end of the game but realized it wasn't after beating it.
No, it takes place after
Homeless. At the end of Homeless she gets bashed on the head by the street thugs and lands in the hospital. The CIA men in black then show up to arrest her, and escapes out the window and somehow ends up in the woods picked up the sheriff.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
O_O!!! those pics....

anyway beat the game today enjoyed it very much I chose
the Ryan ending though I really wanted to chose the Zoey ending!! just when I thought the game forgot about them they bring it back!!!

the part the game that got me was
Salim/The Mission
I enjoyed the hell out of the part!! it was absolutely heartbreaking when
Jodie kills his father!!!

I wouldn't mind QD making a spinoff with Jodie and her CIA years; stleath, more gunplay and Aiden=MUST BUY!!!

xillyriax

Something really bugged me a lot in the
birthday party
chapter. Willem Dafoe totally just drives off without his seat belt on.

Click it or ticket, dude. You're supposed to be a role model.
QA bugged it. They responded with "Too late in development. Not changing."

Along with the plethora of animation problems I found :/

Top Bottom