• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Zios

Banned
Regarding one of Jodie's parents
was there ever any details on her real father?I remember I was given an option to ask about her father when she was going to the psych hospital but didn't ask.

Grisby

So up and down with this game. I do know that I want more Dafoe than I'm getting. I kind of wish they would have had him as a second playable character and switched back and forth between the stories, with Jodie dealing with Aiden and Nathan trying to solve the 'mystery' so to speak.

I think I'm about 75% done, maybe closing in on the last big arc. The graphics remain insane and although there are still some engine hiccups here and there I'm surprised it's as smooth as it is.

Ryan and Nathan just seemed all over the shop as characters, especially playing it a second time and noticing
that Nathan after the scene where child jodie channels his dead child and wife, shows zero signs of going mad at that place in time and is still a very loving father figure type character. It's only after the CIA take her away several YEARS later he seems to go mad with sadness off screen and comes up with the bringing them back idea. The inclusion of wife and child dying scene right before the end chapter of the game seem like a cop out and excuse to write him as the villain for the climax, it is especially jarring as it happens during Jodie's childhood after I had already seen her grow up and seen no signs of insanity from him.

As for Ryan
I find he was written to two extremes, his introduction where he is an asshole with no symapthy for the awful shacked up life jodie has had to live, viewing her as a "moping adolescent child" to then in the next chapter hitting on her and asking her to a fancy dinner then in the next chapter TRICKING HER INTO COMMITTING AN ATROCITY completely at odds and unbelievable. It's a further head-scratching moment later on where he's telling her he loves her out of the fucking blue.

Look, I've done some mean things to the people I love, but lying to them about the political situation in another country (something I cannot believe she didn't look into before arriving) in order to instigate the continuation of a genocide and the death of a childs father IS KIND OF A DEAL BREAKER.
Nathan:
He wasn't really insane after Jodie let him talk to his daughter for the first time. He was lost and wanted to talk to her again, but he wasn't insane. He had Jodie. After the CIA took her away too (in that scene you see that he is still incredibly shocked by his daughter's and wife's dead) and he got promoted for the good work and the Pentagon started pumping money into his lab to build another Condenser he pretty much got obsessed with talking to them again. So he built the machine. Then after Jodie rejected him and he basically learned that they are suffering, because of his actions, he lost it. They wanted to be free, so he took that quite literally and wanted to set them free to his world.

Ryan:
Douchebag in the beginning. Still douchey during the Embassy, but already caring for her when he sees that she is hurt. She is showing affection for him too when he says that she looks good. The Dinner happens 2 years after she joined the CIA, so at that point their relationship is quite different. For his later transition I guess the conflict between doing his job and caring for her got in the way. I still don't like him and I don't think you were supposed to. I rejected him at every point and was glad that the option was there.

Grisby

I think I boasted a few times, I can't believe how good they are, hate to be that guy, but they look next gen to me.
No, I somewhat agree. Granted, a lot of the areas are rather small but there have been plenty of me gaping at the screen.

Wish I had a screen shot feature. One of the extended combat areas had me 'wowing' at the general lighting and movement of the level. Again, the camera was tight on Jodie and the game wasn't pushing a lot of AI, etc, but man it was still impressive. Linear as hell, but impressive.

So I have a question, now that I've finished.

What exactly is the difference between spirits such as Nathan's family that Jodie can see and communicate with and the mean scribbles with teeth that come after you? Do they ever elaborate on this and maybe I missed it?

And are there others like Jodie? Was her mother linked to an entity, or did she just have special psychic powers? I remember the scene in the cave during the Navajo segment where there was a drawing that depicted someone that was linked to a spirit, but they never really went into detail on that.
Spirits = Souls. Dead people. Everyone who dies becomes one.
Monsters = Entities. Lost entities that are not connected to anyone. Called death. Government wants to capture them and link them to human soldiers. Jodie was the test case.

Both live in the Infraworld. Government wants the entities, Nathan wants the souls.
There are others like Jodie (see Navajo). Also if you float into the rooms in the hospital where Nora is there are other "failed" experiments, who have gone insane too and can actually see Aiden and talk to you.

Also: child Jodie is SO fucking adorable. So many points where I just wanted to give her a huge hug.
Yup. Love her so much :D

Upon further thinking I regret
Killing Jamal. I don't think Jodie would have went through with it. It makes more sense with her character and makes more sense with the way the story goes. Why am I wanted for treason when I did what I was asked and basically just went AWOL?
CIA doesn't care about Jodie. She is a risk, because she knows secrets. So if she flees they obviously would want to capture and or kill her.

Regarding one of Jodie's parents
was there ever any details on her real father?I remember I was given an option to ask about her father when she was going to the psych hospital but didn't ask.
He died before the birth. Heart failure.

O_O!!! those pics....

anyway beat the game today enjoyed it very much I chose
the Ryan ending though I really wanted to chose the Zoey ending!! just when I thought the game forgot about them they bring it back!!!

the part the game that got me was
Salim/The Mission
I enjoyed the hell out of the part!! it was absolutely heartbreaking when
Jodie kills his father!!!

I wouldn't mind QD making a spinoff with Jodie and her CIA years; stleath, more gunplay and Aiden=MUST BUY!!!
Got the Zoey ending. Loved it and cried. Was so happy to see Stan again.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
He died before the birth. Heart failure.

Got the Zoey ending. Loved it and cried. Was so happy to see Stan again.

I was so angry when
those thugs came back set the fire to the biulding then bashed Jodies head in
I was hoping for some Aiden justice like
The birthday party

Yes,the concept and mythos are arbitrarily changed throughout.Do they ever even explain why her mother had a soul tethered to her ?
She doesn't. She just had psychic powers. Like many other people you can find in the lab with Aiden. They can actually see him and talk to him:

"I can see you Aiden! I can see you."
"Jodie, do you really think it is worth sacrificing your life to save this crazy world!?"

Kinda foreboding. They can probably see the future too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MOAR 2.4:1 if it means I get these graphics
Seriously. QD are wizards, this is just... I don't know. I now 100% trust them to have in-game graphics like that wizard demo on PS4. Crazy thing is that they didn't even have any kind of presentation about graphics, no boasting about it, nothing. And they are pretty much the first game to market to use physically correct shaders, have the most ridiculous looking particle engine, with some of the best textures I've ever seen on anything. It's crazy when they show the clothes or face closeups, and you can see the tiniest detail and it actually doesn't even look like a flat texture. They also have the absolute best looking character expressions, compared to even next gen games shown so far (IMO better than Infamous) and some of the best gameplay animation even, although as I said earlier, they don't have to worry about character interaction with environment for the most part.

On the other hand, 2.41:1 thing, I have literally never once thought about it while playing the game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
QA bugged it. They responded with "Too late in development. Not changing."

Along with the plethora of animation problems I found :/

Ah, this is wonderful.

The story, I mean. Not the driving without a seat belt thing. That's just terrible, a federal employee flouting safety laws like that. He oughtta lose his pension.

Einbroch

Banned
this game deserves more than $0.86. even the crappiest books out there don't sell for that price. calling that amount an investment to this game is an insult.
It was a tongue in cheek comment that you took as a personal insult, or something.

It was meant as "Damn, what a great game, and only $0.86!"

For whatever reason you feel upset at that comment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So how does getting endings/altering scenes work?

it seems like if I go back an alter something I have to replay from that point on, so I can't just go in a single scene, do stuff, save it and have the whole memory line anymore?

Seriously. QD are wizards, this is just... I don't know. I now 100% trust them to have in-game graphics like that wizard demo on PS4. Crazy thing is that they didn't even have any kind of presentation about graphics, no boasting about it, nothing. And they are pretty much the first game to market to use physically correct shaders, have the most ridiculous looking particle engine, with some of the best textures I've ever seen on anything. It's crazy when they show the clothes or face closeups, and you can see the tiniest detail and it actually doesn't even look like a flat texture. They also have the absolute best looking character expressions, compared to even next gen games shown so far (IMO better than Infamous) and some of the best gameplay animation even, although as I said earlier, they don't have to worry about character interaction with environment for the most part.

On the other hand, 2.41:1 thing, I have literally never once thought about it while playing the game.
Yeah, it actually didn't even surprise me when I learned that their Animation Director is a guy who worked as a senior animator at Dreamworks and their CG Supervisor worked at Sony Pictures before.
The most leads are also there since 1997, which is quite impressive. QD is an incredibly talented team, both from long-term experience and raw talent taken from various industries.

Everything in this game is breathtaking. Blankets actually behave realistically for the most part. Fluids look really good, even when the characters are drinking. Water, snow, rain and fire rendering is insane. Amount of particles is crazy at times. Lighting is beautiful. Faces are incredible. Some sections have textures so high quality it seems absolutely impossible it would fit into the PS3's memory. And if they do streaming they do it pretty fucking well considering the final chapter (or any chapter pretty much) has no pre-rendered cutscenes and blackscreens are never longer than 3 seconds. Welcome to the CIA does insanely fast scenery switches. Loading times between chapters after the first one are also very short, I have barely enough time to read the timeline.

Their engine is absolutely incredible. They will surpass Dark Sorcerer, almost sure of it.

DukeBobby

Yeah, it actually didn't even surprise me when I learned that their Animation Director is a guy who worked as a senior animator at Dreamworks and their CG Supervisor worked at Sony Pictures before.
The most leads are also there since 1997, which is quite impressive. QD is an incredibly talented team, both from long-term experience and raw talent taken from various industries.

Everything in this game is breathtaking. Blankets actually behave realistically for the most part. Fluids look really good, even when the characters are drinking. Water, snow, rain and fire rendering is insane. Amount of particles is crazy at times. Lighting is beautiful. Faces are incredible. Some sections have textures so high quality it seems absolutely impossible it would fit into the PS3's memory. And if they do streaming they do it pretty fucking well considering the final chapter (or any chapter pretty much) has no pre-rendered cutscenes and blackscreens are never longer than 3 seconds. Welcome to the CIA does insanely fast scenery switches. Loading times between chapters after the first one are also very short, I have barely enough time to read the timeline.

Their engine is absolutely incredible. They will surpass Dark Sorcerer, almost sure of it.

Yep, it's pretty phenomenal.

Jim Sterling must have played a different game. There is no way this is just 'okay to look at".

NJShadow

Finished it earlier this morning...absolutely fantastic. Ben Kuchera's review is just...bad.

The whole way Kuchera handled that was just embarrassing. PlayStationLifeStyle called him on it, and his response made me sick to my stomach to know that people like him are actually looked to for their opinions.

Yep, it's pretty phenomenal.

Jim Sterling must have played a different game. There is no way this is just 'okay to look at".
This is what makes me sad. He makes some good points in his review (even if I don't agree with them), but then he drags it down by saying this. It comes across as a lie he felt he needed to do to justify the score, because there is no way anyone can seriously believe that. So I'm not able to agree with this review as I did with his HR one. It doesn't help that he does sound kinda bitter at times and he started his review again with the shitty film-maker comparison. Hated that in his HR review and he learned nothing.

I think he went into it hating it already. Too bad.

So how does getting endings/altering scenes work?

it seems like if I go back an alter something I have to replay from that point on, so I can't just go in a single scene, do stuff, save it and have the whole memory line anymore?
You have to replay from that point, because otherwise the later chapters loose their integrity.

I wonder if the reason for making us play the game in non chronological order is because they fear that playing all the young Jodie chapters first will turn off some players, becasue the slow pace.

I personally I don't have any problem with the structure but I guess they wanted to mix the slow pace chapters with the more action orientated chapters.

I wonder if the reason for making us play the game in non chronological order is because they fear that playing all the young Jodie chapters first will turn off some players, becasue the slow pace.

I personally I don't have any problem with the structure but I guess they wanted to mix the slow pace chapters with the more action orientated chapters.
You don't have to wonder, Cage actually said that this is the reason. Pacing would have been terrible if you had to play as child Jodie for 3 hours, then 2 hours teenager, then 3 hours non-stop action scenes as adult Jodie. I think I would have quit at adult.
Beyond as a chronological game would need serious changes to the plot and scenes to make it work. It does work alright now, but they made some mistakes unfortunately. I think it gets better towards the end of the game though. Mostly just reveal after reveal without filler.

Also there is obviously a story reason that the game plays out this way:
Her memory is fractured after loosing Aiden, so she writes all her memories down in random order.

Dat party chapter
Just picked this up tonight after finishing GTAV the other day. Holy shit. I was kind of on the fence after the reviews came out, but said fuck it. I'm glad I did. I think that's the most interesting scene I've played in a video game this year. It was like my entire junior high and high school years encapsulated in that entire scene. There was also a later scene:

The snowball fight. The first girl I ever fell in love with was called a witch and everyone hated her.(she was sexually abused and distant to most people) So much feels with that scene. It brought so much feels back. This was an awesome girl that was super smart and awesome, but everyone made fun of her and thought she was a witch. She was honestly the only person I have ever considered proposing to. Alas, she got away. Oh well, such is life..

Anyway. I'm in this for the story and so far it's delivered. It just really appeals to me because I'm different in the physical sense. I can really relate to Page's character during the scene where she was in the hospital as a kid with a bunch of experts watching her every move. I'm still early in, but aside from joining the CIA and having a ghost as a best friend, this is basically like my early childhood.

On a random side note that is kind of funny, when I picked the game up tonight the girl that was working at WalMart (yeah, I know I shop at Walmart) started going crazy when she saw that Ellen Page was in a video game.

She must have told like five people that worked with her that "Hey, did you guys know that Ellen Page is in a video game? She's beautiful even in a video game. I love her!"

NJShadow

Dat party chapter
Just picked this up tonight after finishing GTAV the other day. Holy shit. I was kind of on the fence after the reviews came out, but said fuck it. I'm glad I did. I think that's the most interesting scene I've played in a video game this year. It was like my entire junior high and high school years encapsulated in that entire scene. There was also a later scene:

The snowball fight. The first girl I ever fell in love with was called a witch and everyone hated her.(she was sexually abused and distant to most people) So much feels with that scene. It brought so much feels back. This was an awesome girl that was super smart and awesome, but everyone made fun of her and thought she was a witch. She was honestly the only person I have ever considered proposing to. Alas, she got away. Oh well, such is life..

Anyway. I'm in this for the story and so far it's delivered. It just really appeals to me because I'm different in the physical sense. I can really relate to Page's character during the scene where she was in the hospital as a kid with a bunch of experts watching her every move. I'm still early in, but aside from joining the CIA and having a ghost as a best friend, this is basically like my early childhood.

On a random side note that is kind of funny, when I picked the game up tonight the girl that was working at WalMart (yeah, I know I shop at Walmart) started going crazy when she saw that Ellen Page was in a video game.

She must have told like five people that worked with her that "Hey, did you guys know that Ellen Page is in a video game? She's beautiful even in a video game. I love her!"

Thanks for sharing, man. Not really a spoiler, but I gotta' say
the "packing" scene where Jodie is getting ready to leave for the CIA really struck a chord with me. The music plus the utter sadness of the scene was just... beautiful in some way, because a lot of people have had lows like that. I think I may have dragged out that scene too, because I'd pack something, walk around crying again, pack another thing, sit on the bed, walk around some more, just stand there, etc.
That scene really stuck out in an amazing way. It's a shame they didn't include the score from that scene in the soundtrack, because I really wanted it.

And yeah, I think whether you are a guy or a gal, you can really put yourself in Jodie's shoes and relate to what she's feeling in many of the scenes.

Einbroch

Banned
Just beat it.

I thought it was alright. Not great, not bad, just fine. I guess if I'd give it a score I'd give it a 6/10.

But the graphics. Holy cow. I was blown away. I could not believe that this eight year old piece of hardware was producing what I was seeing.

I'm on the Mission right now, which is an interesting change of pace. I just hope it doesn't drag too much with the stealth and ties in the narrative a bit better.

Hopefully I'll clear it tomorrow if I don't get too caught up with Pokemon X.

definitely for gameplay pacing purposes.

playing all the young jodie chapters will turn off players as much as playing all older jodie chapters. the jumping around was there to break up the gameplay.

Mesoian

Dat party chapter
Just picked this up tonight after finishing GTAV the other day. Holy shit. I was kind of on the fence after the reviews came out, but said fuck it. I'm glad I did. I think that's the most interesting scene I've played in a video game this year. It was like my entire junior high and high school years encapsulated in that entire scene.

Really? I'm sorry.

bender

What time is it?
Dat party chapter
Just picked this up tonight after finishing GTAV the other day. Holy shit. I was kind of on the fence after the reviews came out, but said fuck it. I'm glad I did. I think that's the most interesting scene I've played in a video game this year.

Weird. I thought that scene was really terrible.
"OMG, she got me a book, let's lock her in the closet." Blech!

I know the voice work in Heavy Rain was bad but at least it was consistent which made getting over that flaw easier. Beyond is really a mixed bag in the voice work and character model department. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's awful. The juxtaposition is a little jarring.
Any scene with the father makes me cringe.

I got sucked into Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain right away but Beyond just hasn't grabbed me yet. Maybe the Pulp Fiction structure is throwing me off.

Thanks for sharing, man. Not really a spoiler, but I gotta' say
the "packing" scene where Jodie is getting ready to leave for the CIA really struck a chord with me. The music plus the utter sadness of the scene was just... beautiful in some way, because a lot of people have had lows like that. I think I may have dragged out that scene too, because I'd pack something, walk around crying again, pack another thing, sit on the bed, walk around some more, just stand there, etc.
That scene really stuck out in an amazing way. It's a shame they didn't include the score from that scene in the soundtrack, because I really wanted it.
Well I teared up a bit when I packed up the teddy. That was pretty sad.

I'm on the Mission right now, which is an interesting change of pace. I just hope it doesn't drag too much with the stealth and ties in the narrative a bit better.

Hopefully I'll clear it tomorrow if I don't get too caught up with Pokemon X.
You should beat it with ease. Also it does fit in rather nicely.

Spirits = Souls. Dead people. Everyone who dies becomes one.
Monsters = Entities. Lost entities that are not connected to anyone. Called death. Government wants to capture them and link them to human soldiers.

Both live in the Infraworld. Government wants the entities, Nathan wants the souls.
There are others like Jodie (see Navajo). Also if you float into the rooms in the hospital where Nora is there are other "failed" experiments, who have gone insane too and can actually see Aiden and talk to you.

Really? Wow. Definitely trying that on my next playthrough.

eival

so wheres the outrage and headlines about this games torture scene?

oh thats right, this game didnt sell 20 million within 2 weeks, so there wasnt as much incentive to create clickbait articles as there was with GTA. lets just have any google search, even the games title and "torture" still just return a bunch of GTA related stuff as if its the only game that has it and was anywhere near as detailed graphically as this game is where you can see the blood trickling out of his wounds in a lifelike fashion, all of which you're indirectly controlling if you dont choose to "talk"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just beat it.

I thought it was alright. Not great, not bad, just fine. I guess if I'd give it a score I'd give it a 6/10.

But the graphics. Holy cow. I was blown away. I could not believe that this eight year old piece of hardware was producing what I was seeing.

I'm right here with you. I was go as low as 5/10 though. It's painfully average to play through for me. I didn't connect with any character and Jodie was just there. The timeskip nature of the game made it very difficult to connect with her on any level.

Visually, it's pretty nice. It should look nice. There's nothing else going on behind the scenes to detract from the graphics.

This...just didn't jive with me. It wasn't exciting, I couldn't connect with it and I was bored. =/

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
so wheres the outrage and headlines about this games torture scene?

oh thats right, this game didnt sell 20 million within 2 weeks, so there wasnt as much incentive to create clickbait articles as there was with GTA. lets just have any google search, even the games title and "torture" still just return a bunch of GTA related stuff as if its the only game that has it and was anywhere near as detailed graphically as this game is where you can see the blood trickling out of his wounds in a lifelike fashion, all of which you're indirectly controlling if you dont choose to "talk"
Um.. ah..
YOU are not the torturer in Beyond
, you don't see the difference?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'd say Navajo was the worst thing about the whole game,
some things there were more ridiculous than what was in Fahrenheit. I was waiting for Jodie to wake up thinking this must be a nightmare.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Every once in a while there's a stroke of genius in what Cage does in his games. Moments that just make you not care for any of misfires you saw beforehand. Little Jodie's First Night chapter, when they ask her to go to bed,
I walked around a bit more, spotted her luggage that was there on the chair, and I thought to myself, "I should try opening that, what if her stuffed bunny rabbit is in there, she'd want it when sleeping, to remind her of home she just left, you know". Bunny rabbit was in there, she hugged it, and I wanted to tear up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've read a few of the negative reviews, and I do agree that Cage is clumsy as fuck, but what I really took from this game is the little moments in this girl's life that you get to insert yourself into. I think Gone Home gave me the same vibe, like when you have to pack or when you figure out how to make money when you need it most, or cooking dinner. This is interesting to me not because of the garbage plot, but the bigger focus on this character's life, the big picture of how Aiden affects her and the little moments. You can of course say the game has a bad plot and no tension/meaning and I might agree, but I was feeling her internal predicament big time.

Top Bottom