• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

StuBurns

Banned
It only happens when she goes into trance mode (white eyes). In that mode she can see through Aiden directly. Otherwise she is relying on what he tells her. She does that because she needs to copy the documents. But it hurts her like hell, that's why she isn't doing it for most of the time. It presumably hurts Aiden too because of their connection, so she can use that to force him to do something. But since it hurts so much she uses it very sparingly.
She sees without doing that too, if you destroy the CCTV camera on one chapter, she will comment without having seen you do it.

Sorian

Banned
Okay, so that was 1 line of dialogue and an extremely vague visual explanation for something that is SUPER IMPORTANT. That revelation alone should had it's own chapter.
Especially when Aiden's toll on Jodie's body seems so random. At the embassy, she basically needs to get carried out of there by Ryan for flipping some papers and knocking over a coffee cup. In the next chronological scene, she infiltrates a hostile warzone, kills 3 dozen people using mindflay and position techniques, is doing sick military combat moves in the bed of a truck, ninja flips off that speeding truck with a child in her arms, then takes out the president of a country without so much of a chapped lip. And then there's the thing in north korea where Jodie feels pain after the guy that Aiden is possessing gets shot in the head. That never happened prior to that and I did that to more than a few guys.

It's also a distance thing. The farther he gets from her, the more affect it has on her body. For gameplay purposes, they did this so you couldn't scout out a whole area with Aiden but they did a good job of making a big deal of it whenever he had to move fairly far from her to do something.

Alison

Banned
I just played through a rather lengthily section that included a lot of "action" via QTE sequences. It ended
with me using my ghost buddy to make a helicopter pilot crash his helicopter after a lengthily chase from a train where I am wanted by police
. Does the game remain at this level of action because it was shitty and boring, I want to talk to people like the hilarious
birthday party
section.

Sorian

Banned
I just played through a rather lengthily section that included a lot of "action" via QTE sequences. It ended
with me using my ghost buddy to make a helicopter pilot crash his helicopter after a lengthily chase from a train where I am wanted by police
. Does the game remain at this level of action because it was shitty and boring, I want to talk to people like the hilarious
birthday party
section.

Eh, there will be a couple other sections that match up with both of the ones you just talked about. It may feel hammy in both regards but Cage did good mixing up the action and the mundane.

Does ANYONE know when and if they're releasing the full soundtrack?

I'm watching videos of the ending online and I'm tearing up because of this music. ;_;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFHZ7cOV08

It should be released on iTunes soon.

Does anyone know what the actually censored parts of the game in Europe is?
The Condenser.
The possessed doctor you fight (optional fight) gets impaled in the US version by a metal bar. In the EU version she just stabs him.

I can't believe they cut any nudity, isn't it the same rating as Heavy Rain? Which had actual nudity, not strategically placed towels nudity.

Speaking of bits in trailers, it's awesome that the most bad ass shot in any trailers was actually her taking a waz.
I have the EU version and there is no nudity despite getting both shower scenes. Can't notice any difference between the EU and US version either. It's just a side boob at one point. This isn't because of rating boards btw, Ellen Page has a strict no nudity policy and that probably extends to video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFHZ7cOV08

It should be released on iTunes soon

I have the EU version and there is no nudity despite getting both shower scenes. Can't notice any difference between the EU and US version either. It's just a side boob at one point. This isn't because of rating boards btw, Ellen Page has a strict no nudity policy and that probably extends to video games.
She must be super pissed with the images of the nude model circulating around the net.

She sees without doing that too, if you destroy the CCTV camera on one chapter, she will comment without having seen you do it.
Either she sees it happening in real life or Aiden tells her that he did it. He often talks, but you can't hear it over his ambient sounds very well. But he does. I think The Experiment chapter with the cards is supposed to show that Aiden can lie to her if he wants.
Also in the Korea section for example she asks where he is, because she is too weak to look directly through him.

StuBurns

Banned
Her nude model is strange. Just the fact it has areolae implies it was, at least at one point, intended to be seen in the game.

Alison

Banned
Eh, there will be a couple other sections that match up with both of the ones you just talked about. It may feel hammy in both regards but Cage did good mixing up the action and the mundane.

The "mundane" is what is actually fun though, because at least you get the illusion of direct influence. Being told to just go around finding the right spot to press buttons on isn't fun at all. I don't remember Heavy Rain having this much action, it was all funny stuff like QTEs to turn lights on and shit.

Her nude model is strange. Just the fact it has areolae implies it was, at least at one point, intended to be seen in the game.

Or that their staff like wanking to CGI.

I'm 2-3 hours into this and absolutely loving it.
The graphics are astonishing. I'm not a graphics whore in the slightest, but the realism and expression in the faces really counts for a lot in a game like this and really captivates me.
Even my mum, who usually actively dislikes videogames, stopped and watched for 15 minutes and very briefly thought I was watching a film.

I'm wondering - not caring about trophies on my first playthrough, but after that, can you just replay chapters to get the missing trophies, or do you have to replay the whole game?

Sorian

Banned
The "mundane" is what is actually fun though, because at least you get the illusion of direct influence. Being told to just go around finding the right spot to press buttons on isn't fun at all. I don't remember Heavy Rain having this much action, it was all funny stuff like QTEs to turn lights on and shit.

Calling it mundane doesnt imply its not fun, just trying to say separate it from the action. I like both type of sequences but thats just me.

Yeah maybe. I'm not too sure. Maybe they did it just for reference. Or the topic came up only later when the model was already finished. Or she changed her mind. Who knows.
Hope this doesn't upset her lol

I'm wondering - not caring about trophies on my first playthrough, but after that, can you just replay chapters to get the missing trophies, or do you have to replay the whole game?
Depends on the trophy. Most of them you can get this way, but not all.

I've been thinking and I can't figure out why
Jodie and Aiden were connected after his death in the womb. This presumably happens to thousands of children, what made Jodie so special? Was it the nature of her mother's powers or something else?

aristotle

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER! I've been thinking and I can't figure out why
Jodie and Aiden were connected after his death in the womb. This presumably happens to thousands of children, what made Jodie so special? Was it the nature of her mother's powers or something else?

That is NOT how you mark a spoiler. GAH!. Thanks.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm enjoying the game so far. I kinda wish it was in chronological order though.
A common complaint. I can't say I agree with it though. Jodie's life is a lot more action heavy as she gets older. The idea of playing a three hour section as a kid, then balls out action for five is pretty bad.

I wonder how loose the pacing testing was. It would appear the order you play these could have been constantly changed for play testing to tweak pacing.

hohoXD123

I would guess the fact that both of her parents were "special" had an influence, especially seeing as how this was pretty much unprecedented based on some of the researchers' words.

Both her mother and father were gifted (psychic powers). That was a first according to the scientists. We know it probably happened before, because of Navajo. I imagine after Aiden died his soul clung to the nearest living being around him, Jodie.

Zafir

Just completed this, was fun, want to see the other endings though.
Do you have to play through all the chapters again to make choices stick? In heavy rain you could just play the chapters which had the choice in to change what happened. My problem being, I didn't realise you could save Paul, but I want to go back and remedy that.

A common complaint. I can't say I agree with it though. Jodie's life is a lot more action heavy as she gets older. The idea of playing a three hour section as a kid, then balls out action for five is pretty bad.

I wonder how loose the pacing testing was. It would appear the order you play these could have been constantly changed for play testing to tweak pacing.

True, but I think they could have done it in a far better order which made sense, and split up action. I just felt the order they did put it in, didn't really do the game any favours, (Ending spoilers, don't read unless you've completed)
even though the game does explain why it is disjointed in the end

Sorian

Banned

THESE ARE ENDING SPOILERS

Anyway.....
They do mention that both parents were heavily gifted in their powers. I assume that this "pure" gifted bloodline is what made aiden special (I think he is the special one staying tethered to the real world, as opposed to Jodie)

Just completed this, was fun, want to see the other endings though.
Do you have to play through all the chapters again to make choices stick? In heavy rain you could just play the chapters which had the choice in to change what happened. My problem being, I didn't realise you could save Paul, but I want to go back and remedy that.

It is my understanding that for a decision to stick, you have to play that chapter and then continue the game from that point on until the ending. Correct me if I'm wrong and sucks if true :/

Zafir

THESE ARE ENDING SPOILERS

Anyway.....
They do mention that both parents were heavily gifted in their powers. I assume that this "pure" gifted bloodline is what made aiden special (I think he is the special one staying tethered to the real world, as opposed to Jodie)

It is my understanding that for a decision to stick, you have to play that chapter and then continue the game from that point on until the ending. Correct me if I'm wrong and sucks if true :/
Yeah that's what I read, but I was trying to find out for definite.
Not sure if I want to do that long ass assassination stealth mission again just yet, lol.

aristotle

You're correct.

Not directed at you, but for other people asking trophy questions: I have no idea why more people here don't use PS3trophies.org. It literally will give you step by step guides for every single game. There's even a 360 sister-site.

Zafir

You're correct.

I have no idea why more people here don't use PS3trophies.org. It literally will give you step by step guides for every single game. There's even a 360 sister-site.
Not everyone wants to be sat at a desk reading a guide to play a game to make sure they don't miss anything.

aristotle

Not everyone wants to be sat at a desk reading a guide to play a game to make sure they don't miss anything.

Uh....then why ask how to get a particular trophy/achievement? There is at least one poster here who has asked the same question several times about a trophy.

StuBurns

Banned
True, but I think they could have done it in a far better order which made sense, and split up action. I just felt the order they did put it in, didn't really do the game any favours, (Ending spoilers, don't read unless you've completed)
even though the game does explain why it is disjointed in the end
Some of it is actually very interestingly placed, if it's intentional or not. The first time Jodie meets Ryan chronologically, she hates him, because he's taking her away, but next time we see him, she's attracted to him, but we (or at least I), still disliked him, which put me much more inline with Aiden's character for that chapter.

Zafir

Uh....then why ask how to get a particular trophy/achievement? There is at least one poster here who has asked the same question several times about a trophy.
I didn't ask about a trophy, I asked about choices for endings on replays. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone plays games for trophy's.
Some of it is actually very interestingly placed, if it's intentional or not. The first time Jodie meets Ryan chronologically, she hates him, because he's taking her away, but next time we see him, she's attracted to him, but we (or at least I), still disliked him, which put me much more inline with Aiden's character for that chapter.
Well I was talking more about at the start really. I mean it's kind of difficult to care at the start of the game when it's constantly swapping between different periods.

I'm convinced that this is absolutely intentional. Otherwise 99% of the players would root for Jodie in that chapter. By doing them in this order it creates a conflict and makes the scene way more interesting. Do you want Jodie to be happy or get rid of that douchebag?

The monsters are handled in a similar intentional way. First Interview teases them, My Imaginary Friend shows them and during Condenser you fight them. Then in Homeless they come back. This was definitely the most effective order to deal with them.

Well I was talking more about at the start really. I mean it's kind of difficult to care at the start of the game when it's constantly swapping between different periods.
Yeah it is hard to get into it. When you do though it becomes really good. I think many will quit or give up before reaching that point unfortunately.

aristotle

I didn't ask about a trophy, I asked about choices for endings on replays. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone plays games for trophy's.

Just like with Heavy Rain, the trophies are (for the most part) related to the decisions & endings. There is an exact correlation even if you didn't realize it. I was just trying to be helpful towards you and at least one other poster who had questions about the different endings and how to get them and if you needed to replay each chapter individually or start from a particular chapter and finish the game to get something in particular.

Sorry if my post came across as aggressive. I'm stuck at work and in a fair amount of pain.

Zafir

Just like with Heavy Rain, the trophies are (for the most part) related to the decisions & endings. There is an exact correlation even if you didn't realize it. I was just trying to be helpful towards you and at least one other poster who had questions about the different endings and how to get them and if you needed to replay each chapter individually or start from a particular chapter and finish the game to get something in particular.

Sorry if my post came across as aggressive. I'm stuck at work and in a fair amount of pain.
Fair enough my apologies.

I have actually used guides from ps3trophies.org/ps3trophies.com in the past to get the most amount of trophy's on the first play through, but honestly, some times I feel as if it just takes the fun out. Sometimes I just want to lie back and play a game without checking my computer screen every so often to make sure I haven't missed something.

You're correct.

Not directed at you, but for other people asking trophy questions: I have no idea why more people here don't use PS3trophies.org. It literally will give you step by step guides for every single game. There's even a 360 sister-site.

I had a brief look there, but I was worried I might see spoilers.
I'm not looking for a full guide right now, just curious as to how easy it is to mop up the trophies on subsequent playthroughs.

hal9001

Banned
Can someone please make a Gif of Ryan's hilarious nod of approval during the montage chapter.

I can play around with this, first attempt:

BeyondTwoSouls_RyanCIA.gif

Wow good job, thanks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished. Loved it overall. I understand why it's divisive but it was a great ride. Will write up something longer later, most likely in the spoiler thread.

Hellix

Great game. Some of these fight scenes were kicking my ass because I had no idea what direction to push the right analog stick. The chapter
Homeless
was definitely the most memorable for me.

Cheska

So many emotions during these chapters :( I only just finished one of the semi early ones
Homeless
and it's definitely been the shining moment thus far.

Really loving this. Wasn't a massive fan of Heavy Rain. Finding the gameplay and story very interesting so far.
Just finished chapter called
‘The Condenser, which upto this point have been my favourite chapter. Not sure if I've got to the sections which are supposed to poor and had disappointed the reviewers, but cant wait to see how this progresses. Can anyone confirm [without spoiling anything if I haven't each that point yet], if I have passed the chapters which the game is "supposed" to degrade?

Really loving this. Wasn't a massive fan of Heavy Rain. Finding the gameplay and story very interesting so far.
Just finished chapter called
‘The Condenser, which upto this point have been my favourite chapter. Not sure if I've got to the sections which are supposed to poor and had disappointed the reviewers, but cant wait to see how this progresses. Can anyone confirm [without spoiling anything if I haven't each that point yet], if I have passed the chapters which the game is "supposed" to degrade?
If you have enjoyed it so far, there is a high chance you will still like it at the end. What you played so far is already considered poor by some reviewers. IMO it gets even better from your current point onwards. You just have to get ready for some supernatural and sci-fi stuff. But it is well explained and there is almost nothing wrong with the ending. So keep going.

Grisby

Finished. There were some parts of the ending I liked but christ did it ever feel linear near the end. Felt like there was way less interaction than Heavy Rain. Less button prompts and more holding the left stick 'up' Have to write something more later.

Fake edit- Alright, the very last part, (major ending spoilers)
"Still here." got a smile from me.

RIP Normand Corbeil, :(

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Err.... What is the actual plot of this game? I have been playing a few hours and I have no idea what the actual Story is bar girl with ghost friend does scenes

Finished. There were some parts of the ending I liked but christ did it ever feel linear near the end. Felt like there was way less interaction than Heavy Rain. Less button prompts and more holding the left stick 'up' Have to write something more later.

Fake edit- Alright, the very last part, (major ending spoilers)
"Still here." got a smile from me.

RIP Normand Corbeil, :(
It might be linear, but you can still fail getting the ultra shitty ending :D

Ending Spoiler:
Also pick Zoey next time. Best ending IMO.

This is pretty apt actually lol

Kydd BlaZe

Been playing this for a few hours now. Really digging this game so far. Always a huge fan of Quantic Dream's work.

For those that have already completed it; how long is this game?

Top Bottom