• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Metalmarc

Enjoyed the demo played all the way through one got arrested first time, then tried again and found i could do it differently, awesome. Never got a chance to play heavy rain, i had seen my gf play through some of it though

Just finished playing through the demo and watching some trailers (refreshing myself).

Impressions:

Wow, Jodie's dad is hilariously a dick. "YOU'RE A MONSTER!" to an 8 year old girl. It's such a dramatic moment, but laughed and then felt bad for laughing but it was funny.

Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe seem to have pretty good chemistry. I think. It's hard to judge on so little footage, but I think Dafoe in particular seems really good. But then again, it's Willem Dafoe.

Soundtrack will probably rock.

The controls are taking me some getting used to. Got my ass handed to me several times at the CIA training thing cause I kept pushing the wrong stick or wrong direction. It's hard to tell sometimes which way to push the stick. Hopefully I'll acclimate quickly in the game.

Aiden's kind of a dick.

I guess this game is bendable like Heavy Rain, yeah? You can make choices and the story will play out according to those choices, leading you into different scenarios. I'm not sure if I botched the motorcycle chase or what, but I wound up in the police van. Can that be avoided? I don't know.

Those cops that run on a wet, rain-slick speeding train after Jodie are moronic. That is such a terrible idea.

The cops have iffy voice acting, but that's not such a big deal since they're so tertiary.

Wonder how much Sony paid Dafoe and Paige. I'm curious.

I really hope Cage's script for this is tight. Kinda seems like a riff on Stephen King's Firestarter from the trailers.
Cage mentioned in an interview that they got a rather modest salary for the amount of work they did. Games aren't as big as films when it comes to this and both Page and Dafoe, while great actors, are not in a position to have unreasonable demands. Besides, both seem to be doing only projects that interests them. Dafoe has done everything, so if he works on something it's probably because he is interested in it. Page is notorious for turning down roles in big movies and only works on something if the character is interesting to her. They both also participated in a lot of indie films with tiny budgets, so I can't imagine Sony paying them more than 100k each.

The rules are not to discourage discussion...absolutely that will not be tolerated either. The rules are to discourage shitty garbage trolling like "I don't think this is a game" (no one cares) or "David Cage doesn't make games and sucks" (again no one cares) and "I HATE QTES THIS HAS QTES AND BTW ITS NOT A GAME" (just go away).

I am a fair and impartial judge.

wnIUnyt.gif
Awesome GIF haha. Rules are perfect!

f3b9773e_o.jpeg

Snagged this one.
Beautiful. Looks almost 3D with the Dark Theme lol

Cage mentioned in an interview that they got a rather modest paycut for the amount of work they did. Games aren't as big as films when it comes to this and both Page and Dafoe, while great actors, are not in a position to have unreasonable demands. Besides, both seem to be doing only projects that interests them. Dafoe has done everything, so if he works on something it's probably because he is interested in it. Page is notorious for turning down roles in big movies and only works on something if the character is interesting to her. They both also participated in a lot of indie films with tiny budgets, so I can't imagine Sony paying them more than 100k each.

Oh, interesting.

I still can't get it throught my head why they put the actors' names on the front cover, or anywhere on the box for that matter. I know story is the emphasys of this game and these are well known actors, but at the end of the day, this is a game, and the real "heroes" here are the devs.

Cage mentioned in an interview that they got a rather modest paycut for the amount of work they did. Games aren't as big as films when it comes to this and both Page and Dafoe, while great actors, are not in a position to have unreasonable demands. Besides, both seem to be doing only projects that interests them. Dafoe has done everything, so if he works on something it's probably because he is interested in it. Page is notorious for turning down roles in big movies and only works on something if the character is interesting to her. They both also participated in a lot of indie films with tiny budgets, so I can't imagine Sony paying them more than 100k each.

Edit:
Interesting. Considering the amount of motion capture and dialogue put into this kind of game, I'd say they easily got more than 100k each.

So people see names they recognise and buy it.

Well, that's the thing, gamers are more likely to buy it because of the developer/publisher. Nolan North (Drake's voice actor) did the voice for the dude in the Capcom game, Dark Void, yet people didn't really rush to get that.

Just finished playing through the demo and watching some trailers (refreshing myself).

Impressions:

Wow, Jodie's dad is hilariously a dick. "YOU'RE A MONSTER!" to an 8 year old girl. It's such a dramatic moment, but laughed and then felt bad for laughing but it was funny.
That dude is a dick. Wouldn't even be surprised if it is just her step dad. I'm going to make his life miserable as Aiden :)

But then again, it's Willem Dafoe.
Indeed. His performance is going to be amazing. This GIF especially looks so emotional already, can't even imagine what will happen in that scene:

mocap5lix1l.gif

Soundtrack will probably rock.
Agreed.

The controls are taking me some getting used to. Got my ass handed to me several times at the CIA training thing cause I kept pushing the wrong stick or wrong direction. It's hard to tell sometimes which way to push the stick. Hopefully I'll acclimate quickly in the game.
You have enough time to do it. Impulse reactions are a bad idea trust me. You have like 3 seconds. Read her movement, take your time and then move the stick relative to the camera to finish her move. A good thing to remember is that you only have to press up when she attempts to hit/block someone in front of her and the camera is behind her. You only press down when her hands go down. In every other case it is either left or right (is she moving towards the guy or is she attempting to dodge?).

Aiden's kind of a dick.
If you want him to. You could have just opened the door for the scientists and ended the experiment immediately :D

I guess this game is bendable like Heavy Rain, yeah? You can make choices and the story will play out according to those choices, leading you into different scenarios. I'm not sure if I botched the motorcycle chase or what, but I wound up in the police van. Can that be avoided? I don't know.
It can be avoided. You missed a huge town battle as the result. Watch it here: http://youtu.be/iF4vyEoVJ2w?t=15m9s

The full game has 23 endings.

I had no idea Willem Dafoe was in this game. As one of my favorite male actors (except for that Spiderman thing which we shall not mention again), this game immediately went from Not Interested to Hmmm Maybe!

I find it kind of weird that they made the digital avatars look like the actors. I can't remember another game that did this? I'm not sure I like it.

"A week before launch and Quantic Dream's new supernatural adventure thriller, Beyond: Two Souls, starring Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe has been leaked to torrents... all 25 gigabytes of it.

Persona7

Banned
I had no idea Willem Dafoe was in this game. As one of my favorite male actors (except for that Spiderman thing which we shall not mention again), this game immediately went from Not Interested to Hmmm Maybe!

I find it kind of weird that they made the digital avatars look like the actors. I can't remember another game that did this? I'm not sure I like it.

Onimusha 3, Mass Effect, L.A Noire

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game looks stunning, not long now
Also thought I'd share this with you guys my bro saw me playing the forest bit and said "oh she's grown up" so I looked at him confused
"its the girl from Last of Us isnt it, they made another one?" I had to explain the Ellen Page/Elle thing to him and that shes a real actor etc lol

Well, that's the thing, gamers are more likely to buy it because of the developer/publisher. Nolan North (Drake's voice actor) did the voice for the dude in the Capcom game, Dark Void, yet people didn't really rush to get that.
No casual gamer knows Nolan North. But they likely know Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. It's not like they don't use the name Quantic Dream and Heavy Rain as an advantage at all, they do. But having the actors as an addition surely can't hurt. Especially considering the amount of work they did and the fact that they lend their likeness to the game. Also this is a niche game that is hard to market, so the marketing department is probably using everything they could for this game.

"A week before launch and Quantic Dream's new supernatural adventure thriller, Beyond: Two Souls, starring Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe has been leaked to torrents... all 25 gigabytes of it.
Great. So 6 GB bigger than Heavy Rain. Sounds promising.

Hundreds of people work on film and television as well, but it still tends to be the actors headlining. I can sorta see where they're coming from.

When's the review embargo up?

That dude is a dick. Wouldn't even be surprised if it is just her step dad. I'm going to make his life miserable as Aiden :)

It doesn't help that the scene was hilariously overacted.

Indeed. His performance is going to be amazing. This GIF especially looks so emotional already, can't even imagine what will happen in that scene:

mocap5lix1l.gif

I have a feeling Willem Dafoe is gonna make me cry in this game.

While David Cage always tends to seem really pretentious, he's got my respect for at least trying to push narrative boundaries in video games. I really, really hope he's pulled it off here.

I'm worried about how he's gonna write Jodie. I dunno how good he is at writing female characters, especially a protagonist. Madison in Heavy Rain was incredibly superfluous. There was promise in the three male protagonists for sure, but the writing and acting was not up to snuff. I don't think writing a compelling female protagonist is difficult, but it's not done very well very often in video games.

Come on Cage, make me believe in you.

You have enough time to do it. Impulse reactions are a bad idea trust me. You have like 3 seconds. Read her movement, take your time and then move the stick relative to the camera to finish her move. A good thing to remember is that you only have to press up when she attempts to hit/block someone in front of her and the camera is behind her. You only press down when her hands go down. In every other case it is either left or right (is she moving towards the guy or is she attempting to dodge?).

If you want him to. You could have just opened the door for the scientists and ended the experiment immediately :D

It can be avoided. You missed a huge town battle as the result. Watch it here: http://youtu.be/iF4vyEoVJ2w?t=15m9s

The full game has 23 endings.

Good stuff.

I'm sure this had already been brought up, but, in the demo, during the first segment in the facility, did one of the workers call Jodie Ellen?

No casual gamer knows Nolan North. But they likely know Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. It's not like they don't use the name Quantic Dream and Heavy Rain as an advantage at all, they do. But having the actors as an addition surely can't hurt. Especially considering the amount of work they did and the fact that they lend their likeness to the game. Also this is a niche game that is hard to market, so the marketing department is probably using everything they could for this game.

The Nolan North example was more in line with fans rather than casuals. Those who played Uncharted games knew him, but they didn't bother with the game.

I get what they're trying to do, but I just can't bring myself to accept that kind of approach for video games. Casuals aren't likely to buy the game just because those actor are lending their talend. This is more of a personal objection rather than a right or wrong scenario. I just want devs to have more selling power than "random" actors who may not even agree to do a sequel.

Holy shit this game is fucking detailed. I just played the demo again and looked around the environment a bit with Aiden. You can actually read most of the papers that are laying around and the notes on the bill-boards too.

One of them describes the room layout and where Jodie and Kathleen are supposed to sit:

Then right next to it there is some writing actually explaining the experiment with the cards:

That's why they make her do it exactly 3 times. Because it reduces the chance of it being luck under 1 percent. Then I googled "Zener Cards" and found out that this experiment is real lol (didn't even know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_cards (someone already updated it to include Beyond as an example rofl)

Damn. Some crazy attention to detail there. I love it.

When's the review embargo up?
October 8th unfortunately. So far we have three GAF opinions at least:

So I just finished, just about 13 hours or so (so over the 10 hours David Cage said).

It was an emotional rollercoaster ride. I felt angry and sad. Angry due to some shit people did in the game (wanted to kill those people) and sad (most of the time). I even cried about 4 times or so.

The story is nothing like Heavy Rain. It was good, very well (both exciting and emotional) and I had just a couple of pauses.

The game was awesome. Buy it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83962397&postcount=89

So cannot say anything about the game, but can say something about the embargo date: I'm very confident it's nothing to worry about. :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84406829&postcount=222

Haven't played the demo, but I was on the QA team.

without spoilng are u allowed to say if u liked it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84270466&postcount=810

I'm worried about how he's gonna write Jodie. I dunno how good he is at writing female characters, especially a protagonist. Madison in Heavy Rain was incredibly superfluous. There was promise in the three male protagonists for sure, but the writing and acting was not up to snuff. I don't think writing a compelling female protagonist is difficult, but it's not done very well very often in video games.
I thought Carla from Fahrenheit was pretty decent except for the ending. I think he is going to pull off Jodie well.

The Nolan North example was more in line with fans rather than casuals. Those who played Uncharted games knew him, but they didn't bother with the game.

I get what they're trying to do, but I just can't bring myself to accept that kind of approach for video games. Casuals aren't likely to buy the game just because those actor are lending their talend. This is more of a personal objection rather than a right or wrong scenario. I just want devs to have more selling power than "random" actors who may not even agree to do a sequel.
But Quantic Dream never does sequels. They are an exception to the rule. Also Naughty Dog has enough brand power to sell games just based off the developer name, but Quantic Dream isn't quite there yet. But trust me, they try. Also some casuals are indeed going to pick up Beyond, just because Ellen Page. Some of them are even on this board. Believe me, these people definitely exist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mocap5lix1l.gif

Fuck me. Dafoe is so fucking good, and he's gonna make me cry in this game.

mocap5lix1l.gif

Fuck me. Dafoe is so fucking good, and he's gonna make me cry in this game.
Yup. And Page couldn't hold back her tears in one of the sessions, so they had to constantly reapply the markers around her eyes, because they would just fell off all the time.

vlcsnap-2013-10-03-08gbufw.png

This game is going to be intense!

God Dammit why does this have to be exclusive :( (You don't have to say, I know why :p)

What is really surprising me is how Sci-fi/Mythical the story is presenting itself as. Heavy Rain disappointed me because it had these cool supernatural plot points (blackouts) that were just dropped, so this looks awesome!

When does the embargo lift?

David Cage On Beyond: Two Souls and Non-Linear Narratives

I love that interview because David Cage talked about Beyond as the story of someone who wished to be normal then learns to accept her difference. For a long time I've felt different from other people (in a different way than Jodie's - I don't live with a ghost 24/7), which caused me years of suffering and depression. I almost felt like I should have apologized for even existing.
These days I've been starting to accept the fact I can't change who I am and would be much happier if I just embraced all aspects of my personalit, so what he said resonates with me. It's a long and still ongoing process so I hope the game will make me learn more about myself.

One more reason for me to like David Cage and be interested in Beyond.

"Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around." (Stephen King)
"What the public criticizes in you, cultivate. It is you." (Jean Cocteau)

What is really surprising me is how Sci-fi/Mythical the story is presenting itself as. Heavy Rain disappointed me because it had these cool supernatural plot points (blackouts) that were just dropped, so this looks awesome!

Supernatural plot points that are just dropped or wind up going nowhere are kind of a Quantic Dream specialty.

sure it wasn't Aiden?

I guess that's possible. This was the scene when she was being walked from the play area and every single person said hello to her. It really sounded like he said "Hi Ellen" to me. Do the other people know Aiden by name?

Edit- Ah! Figured it out. The guy bringing Jodie to the experiment is Cole. A man named Alan says hello to Cole. Cole says "Hi Alan" in return. For whatever reason, I thought the two lines of dialogue belonged to one person.

pizza dog

Banned
Was on blackout for this game and forgot about the release date. Pre-ordered it earlier today.

Lol same. I just caught a commercial on Comedy Central for it and went "holy fuck that's next week!", picked up the 'pad and preordered. Who says advertising isn't effective. I'll be back once I've started it!

Rand6

David Cage On Beyond: Two Souls and Non-Linear Narratives

I love that interview because David Cage talked about Beyond as the story of someone who wished to be normal then learns to accept her difference. For a long time I've felt different from other people (in a different way than Jodie's - I don't live with a ghost 24/7), which caused me years of suffering and depression. I almost felt like I should have apologized for even existing.
These days I've been starting to accept the fact I can't change who I am and would be much happier if I just embraced all aspects of my personalit,
so what he said resonates with me. It's a long and still ongoing process so I hope the game will make me learn more about myself.

One more reason for me to like David Cage and be interested in Beyond.

"Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around." (Stephen King)
"What the public criticizes in you, cultivate. It is you." (Jean Cocteau)

Off topic, but you should really play P4G if you have a Vita.

And Beyond seems to deserve commercial success, I hope they get it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Was the release event successful? Did many people show up?

By the way, Ellen Page supposedly is an ISTP, like me. Also, we share the same age (26) so that makes even more reasons for me to relate to Jolie and her story (Page, according to David Cage, said that she was similar to Jolie in several ways), whatever it ends up being.

Off topic, but you should really play P4G if you have a Vita.

And Beyond seems to deserve commercial success, I hope they get it.
I only have a PS3 and a PC :(

Sats

Banned
Who else actually really likes how unclear some of the combat prompts are?

I think it's more realistic.

Who else actually really likes how unclear some of the combat prompts are?

I think it's more realistic.

not in any way unclear. just look at where Jodie's hands/arms are going. do not try to predict what the movement is, but instead watch her limbs.

not in any way unclear. just look at where Jodie's hands/arms are going. do not try to predict what the movement is, but instead watch her limbs.

The train top fight sequence vaguely reminded me of Batman's combat style
Could we fuse Arkham and Beyond combat for the next Batman game?

Or is Beyond combat too.. simple for that?

Cheddahz

Banned
Alright guys, I'm going to drive up to UPS tomorrow and ship off my copy of Killer Is Dead so I don't have to pay much for this game

Z3M0G

beyond_901534.jpg

Please explain this image... you can play 2 players simultaneously while one plays from a smart device? There will be a day 1 app to download for this?

Edit: Nevermind, from the OP:

Use the BEYOND Touch™ app to control your BEYOND: Two Souls™ game on PlayStation®3. The app can be used on any iOS/Android device to replace your PlayStation®3 wireless controller. All you’ll need is for your PlayStation®3 console to be on the same WiFi network as your iOS/Android device and you’ll be ready to play the game with touch controls.

How it works - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RF_WwAsVc
Download the iOS App - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beyo...691908718?mt=8
Download the Android App - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...am.beyondtouch

This is amazing! I hope my GF will enjoy playing this with me!

Fjordson

I forgot this was about to come out. I'm actually pretty excited. Heavy Rain was an interesting experience despite some flaws.

Top Bottom