• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

ColR100

So the game is out in 8hrs here, and still no Steam pre-load.

Totally regret even buying it through Steam now, and even at that discounted 4-pack price.

Last time I'll be pre-ordering things through there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lince said:
GAME Spain
I'll get my copy there later, but I just can't justify spending that much money on a CE.
ColR100 said:
So the game is out in 8hrs here, and still no Steam pre-load.

Totally regret even buying it through Steam now, and even at that discounted 4-pack price.

Last time I'll be pre-ordering things through there.
Wow, you talk like one of those Steam forums trolls.

So much drama.

ColR100

Brazil said:
I'll get my copy there later, but I just can't justify spending that much money on a CE.

Wow, you talk like one of those Steam forums trolls.

So much drama.
Really? I'm hardly against Steam, and would rather everything moved to download across the board.

First time I've pre-ordered anything through Steam though, but as a customer one should expect to have it playable at 12am.

Lince

Banned
Brazil said:

well the PC limited edition has been sold out for a while now, it was priced the same as the regular "vanilla" PS3/360 versions, 59 Euros instead of 87.

Dammit, GAF. Do I pick it up at midnight tonight (I work in NYC, have my LE pre'd at a store in Manhattan) and THEN go home to NJ? Or, do I kill time in the city and then pick it up at midnight. Choices, choices.

CoLaN

Just bought it from gamestop (PC version). I didn't try to install it yet, but a friend told me that it's not possible to activate it until the 9...

Thanks Games for Windows Live ;_;

SO FUCKING STOKED FOR THIS GAME!!!!

I am going to wait ~2 weeks to buy it until I can get my computer upgraded, as I really want to play this for PC. Hopefully a good giftcard/rebate deal comes out of Amazon/TRU

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ColR100 said:
Really? I'm hardly against Steam, and would rather everything moved to download across the board.

First time I've pre-ordered anything through Steam though, but as a customer one should expect to have it playable at 12am.
If it's your first time, that's one less point on the drama scale. But you should know that this isn't a recurring problem on Steam. I hadn't heard of a major release with late pre-load on the system before.
Lince said:
well the PC limited edition has been sold out for a while now, it was priced the same as the regular "vanilla" PS3/360 versions, 59 Euros instead of 87.
Oh, yeah? Never knew that.

But, yeah, regular PS3 version for me.

MMaRsu

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Street date broken?

"street dates" are bullshit anyway. If you have bought the game legally and it's in your posession they are keeping you from playing. Which is BULLSHITTTTTT, and it honestly pisses me off even though I don't play on PC anymore.

Smokey

Gamefly sent out my copy this morning! Should have it by at least Wed. I loved the first Bioshock. There doesn't seem to be as much hype for this one, but regardless I cannot wait.

On the fence about this one. Not sure if I should bite or not. Will wait for GAF impressions, might pick up Dantes Inferno or White Knight Chronicles instead.

glaurung said:
Thanks, ordered the Rapture Edition for the PS3.

Whoa, $104 for the same thing in the US? That's crazy.

It's not the same as the US collector's edition. Not even including the other extras ( box, vinyl, cd, posters, etc,.), the book that comes with the Rapture Edition is smaller by 70+ pages and I doubt it's hardcover (looks similar to the strategy guide that came with Demon's Souls LE).

Dyno

It doesn't happen much anymore but the old 360/PS3 question rears its ugly head for this game.

360 pros - lead console, did honestly look sharper last time around.

PS3 pros - free multiplayer (if it's good)

Any impressions? Are the two versions nearly identical, as is usual these days? How about the multiplayer? Tacked on poorly or Uncharted 2 level of quality (I'm not expecting COD level.)

Oyashiro

My friend got a copy yesterday from a mom n' pop shop here in California (he won't tell me where :| asshole) I went over to his house and spent the night there because I really wanted to finish the game. In case anyone cares, here's my quick impressions of the game:

First off, it's really short. The last time I played BioShock was... I dunno, more than a year ago. I certainly don't remember it being this short, but I could be wrong. Just to give you guys an estimate, I started playing at around 2PM, and at 10PM, I got the achievement for
either harvesting or rescuing all the Little Sisters
which I assume is a pretty good indication that I'm almost done with the game. Keep in mind that between those 8 hours, I had to run errands, take a shower, eat, etc etc. Also, I actually took my time to explore everywhere and collect stuff. I'd say the average playthrough for this game is gonna take anywhere from 8-11 hours.

To be honest, I'm really disappointed in BioShock 2. I think the problem is that I loved BioShock so much, and I thought it was so amazing, that I was expecting the sequel to rival the original. I know this hardly ever happens, but my hopes were up.

Don't get me wrong; BioShock 2 is a great game. But it's not the game I was expecting. The story is definitely not as... Well, I dunno what the word I'm looking for is, but it doesn't really grab you and hold your attention. It seems to be a bit all over the place, too. The new characters that you encounter are definitely not as crazy, well-developed, and entertaining as some of the ones from BioShock (Andrew Ryan, Cohen, etc)

The graphics are pretty much the same. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but don't expect to be amazed. Also, I think the "set pieces" (Oh God don't shoot me) are not as stunning as in BioShock. Hell, I hardly even remember the places you go through in this one. Nothing really caught my attention except for one place in particular. On the contrary, I can probably name every place you visit in BioShock.

I'm not gonna go into detail about the music because I think everyone knows that it's great. I'm not sure if I like the soundtrack more or less than the BioShock soundtrack, but it's pretty good.

I think the only thing I can say was definitely improved is the gameplay. I wouldn't say there's any HUGE changes, but there are some really nice "tweaks" here and there. The ability to wield both a plasmid and weapon, being able to hack things from a distance, and even the weapons themselves. I found all of these things to be overall a bit more fun and came together to present a better experience. One thing I do want to point out, though, is that the camera is still a pain in the ass to use. Yeah, it's less annoying... but it's still annoying.

So, to wrap up this poorly written impressions post (I just woke up and my head hurts like a bitch, don't judge me D:) here are my final thoughts:

Is BioShock 2 a good game? Yes, it's a great game.
Does it live up to the BioShock name? I think this question is one that you have to answer for yourself. However, in my opinion, I'm gonna go ahead and say no.
Should I buy it at launch? Well, for me, 60 dollars is a lot of money. Like I said earlier, I estimate that one playthrough probably takes about 8-11 hours. Unless you really care about the achievements, you'll probably only play through it once or twice. Please note, however, that I did not play ANY of the multi-player at ALL!To be honest, I'm not interested in the least, so I just avoided it. But if you're someone who really enjoys the multi-player experience, then I suppose it's worth it. If you're just in it for the single player, I'd say wait for a price drop.

A word of advice: don't get your hopes up too high. BioShock 2 is more like a BioShock 1.5, so be prepared for that.

wRATH2x

Banned
hednik4am said:
from what ive read at least.... the litle sister will heal the big daddy back up again once you die. So There isn't a die and then come back to finish him off tactic anymore
So I can't breeze through the game anymore?

hednik4am

If this was not Bioshock 2 , as if we'd never seen Bioshock, a sequel to the most unique shooter in the past what 10 years would the doubters still not want to play it ?

Is 2k hoping that this will be another fluke hit like Borderlands or do they realy think that a demo isnot necessary to build the hype ?

I just really don't get it. I saw that terrible commercial for Dante's Inferno last night and wondered how Bioshock could have been so much better suited for that slot...

Wrath2X said:
So I can't breeze through the game anymore?

I don't know... I've never breezed through a game. I take my sweet time with every game I play. Cany give any concrete impression until tomorrow. I believe thi might help

http://www.bravenewgamer.com/2010/02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-bioshock-2/

Dyno said:
It doesn't happen much anymore but the old 360/PS3 question rears its ugly head for this game.

360 pros - lead console, did honestly look sharper last time around.

PS3 pros - free multiplayer (if it's good)

Any impressions? Are the two versions nearly identical, as is usual these days? How about the multiplayer? Tacked on poorly or Uncharted 2 level of quality (I'm not expecting COD level.)

All impressions that I have read is that the two versions are identical. I have read some posters on here say that that the PS3 uses lower-res textures that are upscaled but I am not sure where there has been officially confirmed. The PS3 does have a 5 gig mandatory install though.

The reviews for multiplayer have surprised me by how positive they have been. It's not CoD as you said, but it has been pretty universally praised.

CozMick

Banned
Pills Here said:
Actually it was pretty spoiler-free! Their best review in a long time.

I wasn't going to get it but now... :lol

Care to share the score?

Pretty please :D

Spoiler it if you like.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Xater said:
Sounds like what I expected. A good addition in the gameplay department but not really when in comes to the story.

Following Levine was always going to be a tough mountain to climb.

it's weird.. i loved the first one, played it on both consoles.. but i just don't feel the need for a sequel.. i watched gameplay, the GT review.. and i am SURE it will be a very very goor game.

but i'm not sure i will buy it.. not NEW in any case.. i'll probably buy it a few months later.

eg7llj.jpg

Alright let's pop this baby in ! I still need help with the Vinyl rip, I need my Flac/mp3's :lol

Xater

Always-honest said:
it's weird.. i loved the first one, played it on both consoles.. but i just don't feel the need for a sequel.. i watched gameplay, the GT review.. and i am SURE it will be a very very goor game.

but i'm not sure i will buy it.. not NEW in any case.. i'll probably buy it a few months later.

I feel the same way but I ordered it anyway because I could get it cheap.

Top Bottom