• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Pimpbaa

Hope we get some comparisons on the 360 and PS3 differences before it comes out. I would prefer to get this for PS3.

netguy503

DancingJesus said:
Game Informer 8.3

If your interest lies solely with the single-player experience - and let's be frank, this is why we counted down the days until BioShock 2's release - I walked away from it pleased, but also unfulfilled. BioShock 2 eventually becomes the sequel I hoped for, but spends too much time getting there. [Issue#203, p.82]

:/

This sounds bad. :(

Looks like I'll be spending my money on HEAVY RAIN this month.

Thanks for the JTV links though darksydephil will be playing this in HD this week and it's going to be a riot knowing that clown.

sam27368

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Hope we get some comparisons on the 360 and PS3 differences before it comes out. I would prefer to get this for PS3.

From what I'm gathering (baring in mind this is just taking into account various posts about the PS3 version) it might be a lower res version upscaled.

speculawyer said:
I guess that wins. :lol

Send a friend invite to Speculawyer on Steam.
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks! That's a pretty darn swell thing to do. I'll be on Steam shortly!

EDIT: Give me a few minutes. Installing iPhone 3.2 SDK and burning a DVD...

Pimpbaa said:

I imagine it will be much the same as the first game as the 360 is still the lead dev platform.

Neiteio

edgefusion said:
It is most definitely not running at 1080p on the PS3, it doesn't even look like 720p.
The first BioShock looks fantastic on PS3 if you force the system to output in 720p. That's what I intend to do with BioShock 2.

Anyone know when pre-orders from Gamestop's web site are supposed to ship? I pre-ordered the Special Edition kind of late, so I'm hoping I was actually able to secure one.

Psy-Phi

Neiteio said:
The first BioShock looks fantastic on PS3 if you force the system to output in 720p. That's what I intend to do with BioShock 2.

My TV generally switches to 720p when I play most PS3 games. Don't have Bioshock on PS3 as I own it on PC. Why would manually setting it matter? Does Bioshock PS3 try to upscale itself somehow?

Neiteio said:

I tried it but it looked much the same to me. It still had that seemingly up-scaled blurriness that the 360 version didn’t have. It still looked good, but it wasn’t on par.

Neiteio

Psy-Phi said:
My TV generally switches to 720p when I play most PS3 games. Don't have Bioshock on PS3 as I own it on PC. Why would manually setting it matter? Does Bioshock PS3 try to upscale itself somehow?
Yep. It upscales itself to 1080p if the TV supports 1080p, and I recall 2K saying at their message boards that the reason for this is some TVs don't support 720p but they support higher, and they don't want to hurt this minority.

But forcing the system to output in 720p yielded a 720p image, which looked sharper. I'm hoping the same trick works here, if necessary.

edgefusion said:
God damn Big Sisters are hard work, it doesn't help that their approach is nothing short of terrifying either.
Sounds like they're intense to fight. Which is good to hear. You enjoying the game? It sounds like it.

Jigsaw

Banned
JordoftheDead said:
I tried it but it looked much the same to me. It still had that seemingly up-scaled blurriness that the 360 version didn’t have. It still looked good, but it wasn’t on par.

this was because of the blur filter,i heard they released a 200mb patch later to disable it and upgrade textur quality...though i never tried it as i was done with the game already

Wiggum2007

I look forward to going into this game without much hype or expectations, I'm excited to see what surprises come along. I'm currently playing through ME2, and while I love the game and doubt Bioshock 2 will top it for me personally, I followed ME2 way too much pre-release and spoiled way too much for myself, such as knowing every single of the party members. Going into a game you know you'll enjoy without having an preconceptions about what you're going to experience is great.

Jigsaw said:
this was because of the blur filter,i heard they released a 200mb patch later to disable it and upgrade textur quality...though i never tried it as i was done with the game already

The game was substantially patched but the blur is the same as always. The patch fixed some really low-res textures, specifically on Big Daddies, otherwise it looks the same.

Also, a review from the Sydney Morning Herald. Pretty crap, but may contain some info:

Summary: Most certainly one of the best titles of the year.

Ups: A significantly improved combat system, much smarter AI and a wider range of plasmid abilities make for much more engaging action. Carefully realised settings, fantastic audio, the right balance between scripted events and unscripted action. A new cast of compelling characters and a narrative that has much better pacing. Particular passages of play that are sure to leave an indelible mark.

Downs: We know Rapture: some mystery and awe has been lost. The much-hyped ocean floor levels add nothing but a slow walk.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/review-bioshock-2-20100208-nluu.html

Got my 360 CE yesterday; haven't tried it yet, though.

Mass Effect 2 is keeping me busy. Tomorrow as soon as I get home from work I will jump right on it.

I really hope that the opening of the game succeeds in conveying that "welcome back to Rapture" feeling.

Oh man, that multiplayer looked fun. A match in the Kashmir Restaurant was just underway when the game stopped and this message appeared "Content from this channel removed at the request of the copyright holder. This channel will be accessible again in 24 hours", lol.

edgefusion

I just found a lovely little easter egg, highlight only if you're not concerned by non-story related spoilers or just like to read about easter eggs.

Searching through a frozen section where there are many areas to melt I de-thawed a lump of ice to reveal a frozen cat, hovering the reticule over it reveals its name to be "Schrodinger". A reference to "Shrodingers cat" a theory that is best explained by Wikipedia but rather pertinent to a frozen kitty which could be either alive or dead.

EDIT: And to answer someone's earlier question, yes I'm enjoying it very much and yes Big Sisters are an intense fight!

So, still no solid confirmation on any possible "downgrades" to the PS3 version. I haven't been able to really find any direct feed PS3 stuff, if there is some that I missed can someone post some links?

AgentOtaku said:
DL last months Qore episode. Lots of direct feed footage.
Or Watch this walkthrough...
Well, from that walkthrough it doesn't look like it is too far off. I just wish developers weren't so cagey about releasing footage from the PS3 versions of their games. Even when there aren't any issues with the PS3 version developers seem to like to hide them away in the corner.

darkressurection said:
Well, from that walkthrough it doesn't look like it is too far off. I just wish developers weren't so cagey about releasing footage from the PS3 versions of their games. Even when there aren't any issues with the PS3 version developers seem to like to hide them away in the corner.

Thought I heard that one reason is that it's super easy/cheap/convient to capture 360 footage, whereas PS3 footage takes a bit more effort. That and 360's have easily detachable HDDs that devs take with them, not entire PS3s.

AgentOtaku said:
Thought I heard that one reason is that it's super easy/cheap/convient to capture 360 footage, whereas PS3 footage takes a bit more effort. That and 360's have easily detachable HDDs that devs take with them, not entire PS3s.
I guess that makes sense, but you would think that the piece of mind it gives customers would be worth the extra effort. But anyway, back on topic if any PS3 players want to add me for some MP action my PSN is monkyofdoom.

ahhhhh totally missed out on the free bioshock with bioshock 2 and the four pack discount

Anyone still want in on a four pack?

twdnewh_k

Ice Monkey said:
ahhhhh totally missed out on the free bioshock with bioshock 2 and the four pack discount

You can still get it alone for 45 and free bioshock 1.

Steam preloading hasnt started yet ugh

Firestorm

Ice Monkey said:

If you're willing to lead there are lots of people who still want in I think.

Top Bottom