• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Spriig

Banned
Played this for an hour this evening and i really cant get into it at all. I feel as if I have no purpose in rapture what so ever, This hopefully changes further on in the game.

Solo

ChoklitReign said:
It was definitely not that long. It was approximately 12-13 hours if you explore. So this one is 3-4 hours shorter.

You are undershooting it and the other guy is overselling it. First game was about a 15-18 hour title w/ exploration.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
kamspy said:
So....about that Steam preorder sitting in my account with no favicon or preload.....

Sup?

What's the latest a Steam new release has ever been pushed back? I haven't preorder a bunch of stuff from them, but when I did it all worked out pretty nicely.

Shouldn't this be playable at midnight tonight? I thought that's how it worked. :|

Steam stuff is rarely playable at the exact moment people expect it to be released (see L4D2 breaking for a good hour or two), and given their track record I doubt this will be available at midnight.

That said I'm also surprised that there isn't even a preload option yet.

edgefusion

Pookaki said:
Yes, every little sister is accompanied by a big daddy.

And when you get all of them from a level be prepared to say hi to a Big Sister.

I'm nearing the end and I've been playing for about 12 hours. I've been exploring every nook and cranny (collected 100 audio diaries) and just generally soaked up the view. I don't know how you could spend a whole lot more than that unless you just really really enjoy looking at stuff.

Arnie

Solo said:
You are undershooting it and the other guy is overselling it. First game was about a 15-18 hour title w/ exploration.
I took my time and the game lasted 22 hours on my first play through.

Solo said:
Well hell, it was a while ago. Can't you measure the amount of time on one game in Steam?

burgerdog

edgefusion said:
And when you get all of them from a level be prepared to say hi to a Big Sister.

I'm nearing the end and I've been playing for about 12 hours. I've been exploring every nook and cranny (collected 100 audio diaries) and just generally soaked up the view. I don't know how you could spend a whole lot more than that unless you just really really enjoy looking at stuff.
12 hours sounds perfect. After the 45 hours I put into one playthrough of ME2 I'm ready for a short game.

kamspy

Campster said:
Steam stuff is rarely playable at the exact moment people expect it to be released (see L4D2 breaking for a good hour or two), and given their track record I doubt this will be available at midnight.

That said I'm also surprised that there isn't even a preload option yet.

Right, I'm not expecting midnight (though it would be nice in the for future games and would considerable affect how much stuff I preorder off Steam), but I would like to play the game when I wake up tomorrow.

I'm pretty new to Steam preordering. The only game I preorder on Steam before was L4D2.

I'm probably a little extra anxious because I'm off work this week.

bee

game was probably held back from pre load to stop 0day piracy..that failed miserably, preload now please

Muffdraul

Could someone please do us all a huge favor and photoshop the Big Daddy on the cover to get rid of those damn Bomberman eyes? Not a perfect AAA job to use as alt cover art, just something I can stare at for a while to hopefully allow my brain to unsee the damn Bomberman. I'm only half-joking here, guys.

farnham

Banned
looks like the whole inclusion of single player was a shot in 2k marins foot in the end.. this amazes me how great the decision of ken levine was for bioshock 1.. at that thime multiplayer was viewed as obligational (even metroid prime 2 had multiplayer :lol :lol ) without the whole multiplayer inclusion they probably could have made a better single player experience. not that the game turned out bad (it gets a 8 to 9 range across the board apparently) but man its disappointing considering how great the first one was..

Muffdraul said:
Could someone please do us all a huge favor and photoshop the Big Daddy on the cover to get rid of those damn Bomberman eyes? Not a perfect AAA job to use as alt cover art, just something I can stare at for a while to hopefully allow my brain to unsee the damn Bomberman. I'm only half-joking here, guys.

Yeah if anyone from 2k is reading this, what the hell were you guys thinking?! I just can't "un-see" the giant bomberman....:D

farnham said:
looks like the whole inclusion of single player was a shot in 2k marins foot in the end.. this amazes me how great the decision of ken levine was for bioshock 1.. at that thime multiplayer was viewed as obligational (even metroid prime 2 had multiplayer :lol :lol ) without the whole multiplayer inclusion they probably could have made a better single player experience. not that the game turned out bad (it gets a 8 to 9 range across the board apparently) but man its disappointing considering how great the first one was..
You know... except for the fact that 2K Marin had nothing to do with the MP since Digital Extremes worked on it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
farnham said:

1) two different teams worked on the single and multiplayer parts respectively

2) I think you and I have one thing in common, we both have yet to play the game ( just assuming here you might aswell finished it for all i know ) but what seperates us it that I'm atleast going to wait until tomorrow before commenting if the game is bad/ worse than the original / dissapointing / etc

sam27368

Banned
For anyone wanting to know about the Gametrailers review, I have two words, FUCK GAMETRAILERS. There was one spoiler in that review which was horrible, and they've included it for no other reason than to get this kind of response from people.

There also was one good quote (good in the sense it's cleverly used) that the game felt sort of like a "straight to DVD release"

Spriig

Banned
farnham said:
Dude. You havnt even played the 2nd one. There is nothing "dissapointing" atm due to you not playing it. Unless you are dissapointed in the fact it exists?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ceebs said:
Anyone post the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review? No numbers at the end so you have to read.

but, how will I ever quantify the games aspects?

I want a 9.4 in funfactor and 9.6 in compellingness AT THE LEAST

also 9,1 sound

and 9,67 and 2/3rds in replayability

on a more serious note : any gaffers fancy teaming up and try out the team mp this weekend? T'would be nice to play with youz guyz

sam27368

Banned
Corky said:
but, how will I ever quantify the games aspects?

I want a 9.4 in funfactor and 9.6 in compellingness AT THE LEAST

also 9,1 sound

and 9,67 and 2/3rds in replayability

on a more serious note : any gaffers fancy teaming up and try out the team mp this weekend? T'would be nice to play with youz guyz

Yeh I've been after playing some Gaffers for a while, add me up xbox tag - samueljustice

Denzar

Corky said:
Sure, I'm not much of an MP player but I'll definitely give it a shot.

PS3 version here.

hednik4am

zero margin said:
8 hours on normal seems pretty standard, maybe 10 but regardless it's in the ballpark. Playing it on hard should put it up to about that not to mention the time spent with MP. Seems like decent value.

I spent 20+ on normal the first time through.

So Bioshock 1 pulled out what... a little under 800k in the first month last time around ? Anyone care to predict how they think it will do ?

Put me down for 650k 360 and 400k ps3

hednik4am said:
so Bioshock 1 pulled out what... a little under 800k in the firs tmonth last time around. Anyoe care to predict how they think it will do ?

Put me down for 650k 360 and 400k ps3

Sounds pretty good. I am thinking worldwide 2 million for their first month. I would probably put 360 a bit higher and PS3 a bit lower. FWIW, the first game sold 3 million LTD, I would expect this one to surpass that. 2k also projected 3 million, it should be able to do that I think.

8 hours on normal seems pretty standard, maybe 10 but regardless it's in the ballpark. Playing it on hard should put it up to about that not to mention the time spent with MP. Seems like decent value.

tenritsu

Banned
GamingVice BioShock 2 Review

They gave it a must-buy and thought the character work was extremely strong.

Roger @ GamingVice said:
"Now would probably also be a good time to mention that the story in BioShock 2 absolutely carries the pedigree of its predecessor. Not only is the story this time around much more engaging and easier to digest than the one in the first game but many of the characters are also much more interesting. When you think of the original BioShock, Andrew Ryan, Atlas and, arguably, Sander Cohen are the only characters that were strong enough to resonate with many players after their initial play-through. And, at the time, this was fine since no only really expected a horror-shooter like BioShock to have such strong character development. However, in BioShock 2, I finished the game with the words of Ryan, this game’s antagonist Sofia Lamb, plasmid-inventor Augustus Sinclair as well as that of a few of the extremely interesting characters you meet later on in the game, still resonating in my head. In addition to the forced dialogue however, audio diaries make a return in BioShock 2 to provide even more story for players who really want to know more about what happened to Rapture in the ten years since the last game, the Lamb family, and who Subject Delta really is. It’s also worth noting that the voice acting in BioShock 2 is absolutely divine. None of the various characters you encounter throughout the single-player experience sound forced in their performances and the sound clips in multiplayer are just enough to create atmosphere without distracting the player from blasting their opponents to bits. While Andrew Ryan once again remains a stand-out role ripe for monologuing, the performances of the Lamb family, Sinclair and one of the game later but most memorable characters (you’ll know who I am talking about once you play the game) also portray some top-of-the-line voice over work. Long story short, BioShock 2 will make you think with its story and characters but its story aspects won’t distract the player from the core gameplay experience."

farnham

Banned
oh well i wasnt meaning that i am already dissapointed at the game.. i was just disappointed at the fact that it didnt got universal acclaim like the first one.. which is... of course premature since there are a lot of games that got lower scores that i still enjoyed a lot..

CoLaN

it seems to me that in some of those reviews the journalists are "overthinking" a bit, while for other games even faulty mechanics gets a free pass

hednik4am

i wouldnt say dissapointing but rather someone who wanted one game but got another so he thinks everyone should be disapointed.

I'm a few hours in. It's a great game, so far; the mechanics are far better than the first game, with the shooting feeling tighter. It looks lovely as well - again, a step up from the first, even though the art style initially suggests it's the same game. But it's FAR more shooter than Adventure; the bits when you protect the Little Sisters are super-irritating, because I don't want to be acting that way in this universe. I'm enjoying the story, I'm enjoying the feel, but I'm less enjoying how far it's wandered from the Shock template that Bioshock 1 casually imitated.

[Also, some of the voice acting is appalling. I have no idea who thought that this awful Southern accent was fine - you know, the one that sounds like Ewan Macgregor in A Life Less Ordinary - and the voice of
Eleanor on the tapes is horrific. Are there not enough young British actresses in the world that we need suffer through a bad approximation of the accent?
Ugh.]

Oh, and the writing is super good still; anybody who thinks Levine is missing for that aspect is grossly wrong.

EDIT: I just saw the RPS article. Yeah, that's absolutely right; the System Shock 2 mechanics have all but disappeared now.

jim-jam bongs said:
That RPS post was fucking depressing.
Yeah, it's kind of sad when the tone throughout the whole article is basically "THIS GAMES IS BENEATH US," and the arrogance is off the charts

whatevermort said:
I'm a few hours in. It's a great game, so far; the mechanics are far better than the first game, with the shooting feeling tighter. It looks lovely as well - again, a step up from the first, even though the art style initially suggests it's the same game. But it's FAR more shooter than Adventure; the bits when you protect the Little Sisters are super-irritating, because I don't want to be acting that way in this universe. I'm enjoying the story, I'm enjoying the feel, but I'm less enjoying how far it's wandered from the Shock template that Bioshock 1 casually imitated.

[Also, some of the voice acting is appalling. I have no idea who thought that this awful Southern accent was fine - you know, the one that sounds like Ewan Macgregor in A Life Less Ordinary -
and the voice of Eleanor on the tapes is horrific. Are there not enough young British actresses in the world that we need suffer through a bad approximation of the accent? Ugh.]

Oh, and the writing is super good still; anybody who thinks Levine is missing for that aspect is grossly wrong.

EDIT: I just saw the RPS article. Yeah, that's absolutely right; the System Shock 2 mechanics have all but disappeared now.

Holy fuck, dude. SPOILERS.

Dax01 said:
Yeah, it's kind of sad when the tone throughout the whole article is basically "THIS GAMES IS BENEATH US," and the arrogance is off the charts

As arrogant as making an official thread on a massive gaming board then disallowing skepticism about the game in said thread? Because that's pretty fucking arrogant.

jim-jam bongs said:
As arrogant as making an official thread on a massive gaming board then disallowing skepticism about the game in said thread? Because that's pretty fucking arrogant.
Disallowing what skepticism? All the OP basically says is that, if you aren't going to buy the game, don't post in the thread. How is that "disallowing" skepticism? That seems pretty reasonable to me.

whatevermort said:
That thing I referred to happens in the first half five minutes of the game, maybe. It's very unimportant, and was just referring to one of the many many many audio logs.
Sorry to practically bite your head off, but I know who
Eleanor is (the daughter of Lamb and the former LS to Delta, but that's it), and I wondering how she was going to be incorporated into the game. It's just something I would've preferred seeing for myself.

Again, sorry for biting your head off. Glad to see you're enjoying the game. :)

I found that RPS review pretty unreadable, honestly. It seemed to be more a vehicle for extolling the virtues of PC gaming rather than an actual review.

Kotaku review is up, and it is pretty glowing.
http://kotaku.com/5466745/bioshock-2-review-in-case-of-rapture

"I liked BioShock 2 more than I expected to, perhaps more so than the original thanks to its more satisfying game play. The been there, done that feeling wears off after not too long, giving players a chance to happily get lost in Rapture once again."

Oreoleo

The most depressing thing about that RPS article is reading that they still have the audio diaries in the game.

Rez said:
good write up on rps.

not seeing the 'arrogance' or inherent 'negativity', just honesty

Agreed. I think a few people in here are a little quick to try to defend a game they haven't played yet. If anything the RPS article made me more excited for BS2 just due to how much improved the combat is over BS1.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good write up on rps.

Dax01 said:
Disallowing what skepticism? All the OP basically says is that, if you aren't going to buy the game, don't post in the thread. How is that "disallowing" skepticism? That seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm sure it seems reasonable to you; after all, you wrote it. However, it's in no way reasonable to dictate that the terms of a public discussion be within your acceptable limits. If people have decided that they aren't buying the game for whatever reason, or that they are still on the fence, that's a worthwhile discussion to have. Far less worthwhile discussions happen on GAF all the time.

By all means disregard that and continue acting as the unpaid marketing department for 2k Games if you so choose.

Dax01 said:
Sorry to practically bite your head off, but I know who
Eleanor is (the daughter of Lamb and the former LS to Delta, but that's it), and I wondering how she was going to be incorporated into the game. It's just something I would've preferred seeing for myself.

Again, sorry for biting your head off. Glad to see you're enjoying the game. :)

No, that's fine. It was just one of those things that I knew as well - I think it's pretty much common knowledge from the trailers - so I didn't count it as something that could be spoiled. I wouldn't dream of putting anything that was secret or unknown outside brackets; I hate spoilers myself...

eXistor

I've just played for about 3 hours and I have to say it's better than I expected. It's still in a lot of ways an easy sequel in that it's basically Bioshock with some minor added features (for better or worse). That's not to say it's a bad thing, but I was always disappointed to pretty much know after finishing Bioshock 1 that Bioshock 2 was gonna be more of the same, even when it's super obvious they could make a whole different game and genre set in Rapture. Oh well easy money is alluring I suppose.

For what it is it seems a great game, easily on par with the first game. Hacking is so much better now and the attention to detail is as good as it's ever been. Reading this page it also seems to be a shorter game, which is great because Bioshock 1 was about 2 hours too long. Then again, it was only too long because the last few levels sucked.

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm sure it seems reasonable to you; after all, you wrote it. However, it's in no way reasonable to dictate that the terms of a public discussion be within your acceptable limits. If people have decided that they aren't buying the game for whatever reason, or that they are still on the fence, that's a worthwhile discussion to have. Far less worthwhile discussions happen on GAF all the time.
There's such a thing called "off-topic." The purpose of this thread is not to discuss your reasons for not buying the game, but to have a discussion with other people who want to play the game/have played it. What's the reasoning in posting in a thread about a game you have no intention of buying? Absolutely none. I have no interest in Beyonetta, but you don't see me posting in that thread - saying why I'm not going to buy the game.

You want to go make a thread to discuss the reasons why people aren't buying the game? Go ahead, have at it. But leave this thread for the people who want to discuss the game with others who have played it.

eXistor said:
I've just played for about 3 hours and I have to say it's better than I expected. It's still in a lot of ways an easy sequel in that it's basically Bioshock with some minor added features (for better or worse). That's not to say it's a bad thing, but I was always disappointed to pretty much know after finishing Bioshock 1 that Bioshock 2 was gonna be more of the same, even when it's super obvious they could make a whole different game and genre set in Rapture. Oh well easy money is alluring I suppose.

For what it is it seems a great game, easily on par with the first game. Hacking is so much better now and the attention to detail is as good as it's ever been. Reading this page it also seems to be a shorter game, which is great because Bioshock 1 was about 2 hours too long. Then again, it was only too long because the last few levels sucked.
That's great to hear.

Rez said:
good write up on rps.

Perhaps I was being a bit too harsh, but the way it opens and ends just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and kind of sours everything in between.

Rez said:
good write up on rps.

Agreed. The first couple paragraphs smack of PC elitism, but read the entire review and you'll see it's quite even handed. I really like the idea of huge trap filled playgrounds. I think at this point it's clear the direction they've taken is more action/shooter oriented, or maybe a better term would be mass effect "2'ing" it.

Spookie

tuco11 said:
ouch!

How long was Bioshock 1 I forget?

For comparison Bioshock 1 took me about 13-15 hours. I loved it and still count it as one of my Top 20 games.

sam27368 said:
There also was one good quote (good in the sense it's cleverly used) that the game felt sort of like a "straight to DVD release"

Totally agree with that statement. No idea why this is getting good reviews. Choo-Choo all aboard the hype train! I've given up with reading reviews after the farce that was MW2. I'd rather get games via word of mouth.

Xater said:
That sounds really harsh. Basically if you wanted Bioshock 2 to go back to the System Shock route, you will hate this game. Shit, I kinda wanted that :(

This game devolves in to Quake by the end. All suspense removed in exchange for akward clunky action scenes. The new enemies all follow the same archetype. Big hulking fuckers who charge and beat you about. While I'm on such a negative roll: The whole defending the little sisters while they harvest adam is tedious too.

Top Bottom