• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

stupei

Not very far in yet, but I'm happy so far. I like the new hacking mechanic much more than the old one, and enjoy that it doesn't take you out of the action so you have to be a bit strategic about that too. It's not even big enough to be considered a minigame for hacking so it's not likely to get old the way planet scanning did recently in ME2.

Storywise, the start feels a bit off. It feels too compressed, introducing you to one character after another. I think this is at least partially because some of these things are covered in the original Bioshock so they assume a sort of shared knowledge and go from there, but it's hard to know exactly how much your character is meant to know or remember and so far people aren't giving a very clear point of reference in their communications with him. Overall, though, I think the story and atmosphere is playing out okay, if sometimes a little jarring. It's still Bioshock. It's still beautiful and occasionally creepy.

Two things setting related very early on:
I really love the altars set up for Lamb all around Rapture and similarly I just love Ryan's amusement park ego trip and the narrated displays. At that point I knew I was going to be willing to forgive the game a lot if it has even just a few more sections like that.

Truant

Thinking about getting the PC version also so my GF can play the 360 version. I read that the animation bug still isn't fixed in this? Something with the amount of frames in the animations don't sync up with the framerate of the game or something? Could be wrong here, just going by what I've heard.

Oh god, that Limited Edition looks really sweet, hopefully my pre-ordered copy of the game is still there, I would be really mad if I miss out on the Limited Edition.

Truant said:
Thinking about getting the PC version also so my GF can play the 360 version. I read that the animation bug still isn't fixed in this? Something with the amount of frames in the animations don't sync up with the framerate of the game or something? Could be wrong here, just going by what I've heard.

I believe your talking about how the physics system was locked at 30fps. So if your running the PC version at 60+ fps, it's pretty ugly whenever something would die, get knocked over, etc. This was never fixed in Bioshock. Waiting to hear if they fixed it in Bio2.

Truant

AgentOtaku said:
I believe your talking about how the physics system was locked at 30fps. So if your running the PC version at 60+ fps, it's pretty ugly whenever something would die, get knocked over, etc. This was never fixed in Bioshock. Waiting to hear if they fixed it in Bio2.

Yeah, could be that. My friend just confirmed that it looks just as shitty in BS2. Could there be some workaround in one of the .ini files? UE3 is tweakable as hell, so there might be hope. Thinking I'm going to stick with the 360 version if not :(

EDIT: Here's what he said, just to be clear.

yeah, everything is really choppy even tho fraps tells me im running it at 60 frames. especially the enemies, corpses and regular items that fly around in combat. its even worse if u turn off vsync

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im at 24% :D

neoism said:
Damn shame ... no 360 pad support, what a stupid decision!:((((

You *ARE* joking....right???

noisome07

Banned
isamu said:
Im at 24% :D

You *ARE* joking....right???

alborghetti21zj.gif

Truant

And here I was thinking 'Hey this Circus of Value machine is awfully quiet. KEN LEVINE CONSPIRACY OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

Good to know it was a bug. I loved that stuff in the first game.

I'm about to get the fire plasmid and until now it feels more like Bioshock 1.2 than 2. :/

I mean it's nice to continue playing in an awesome world like Rapture, but it's not that different to the first game..

Yes this feels like Bioshock 1.2, but I'm having fun and that's what matters to me. The hacking minigame is SO much less frustrating than the first one, because in retrospect the pipe game was pretty horrible

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Got back from the midnight launch about an hour ago.
The guys from 2k Marin were there and I had parts of the team (whoever was there) sign my LE....FREAKIN AWESOME! :D totally worth having to wait an extra hour for the bus.

91jl02.jpg

2rell5k.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
the collectors edition has to be one of the best collector editions for a game on 360, I love it soo happy I got one

Firestorm said:
90% but I should be going to sleep now :lol

Shit son, go to bed NOW. Enjoy the game atleast for a day...

I shouldn't even be saying this, I played MW2 for a day straight when it came out :lol

wenis said:
The guys from 2k Marin were there and I had parts of the team (whoever was there) sign my LE....FREAKIN AWESOME! :D totally worth having to wait an extra hour for the bus.

http://i50.tinypic.com/91jl02.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2rell5k.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
That's really cool. Ugh. I want my LE right now! I'll be picking it up in a couple of hours.

Firestorm

sweetvar26 said:
Shit son, go to bed NOW. Enjoy the game atleast for a day...

I shouldn't even be saying this, I played MW2 for a day straight when it came out :lol
I just watched the intro. Going to sleep now. That would have been amazing if it weren't for the terribad compression. What the crap, 2k?

wenis said:

91jl02.jpg

2rell5k.jpg

Me really jealous now.

Facism

I need some help. My 360 red ringed a month ago, and i can't remember what bloody email adress i used to sign up to Live with -_- I thought it was my usual email account but that's apparently not the case.

Mygamertag is LiveFeed1982. I'd love to be able to use it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just bought a 10GB data block so I can download the game from an international content server and I still can't get past the install phase. :lol

Mafro

Just got my collector's edition, it's definitely one of the best collector's editions I own. Very well put together and doesn't look cheap.

Also got a free Little Sister figure which is actually a proper model with articulated joints and stuff, not just the shitty piece of plastic I was expecting.

MMaRsu

Man I sure am loving this game.. sure it's not as great as the first game, but few hours in and I'm loving it regardless. Judging the game on it's own : It's an amazing game.. the gameplay is fun and I'm enjoying the story. Playing on hard and it's HARD.

Truant

Does it get better? I had to quit right before the first proper level
Ryan Amusements
and it was pretty lackluster.

Sidzed2

So far, 2 hours in and it is not impressing me much.

The visuals (PS3 version) are blurry and unimpressive despite the fantastic art direction and the plot and recycled elements make this feel like an expansion pack rather than a full-fledged sequel.

Hope things improve.

MMaRsu

Truant said:
Ryan Amusements

I think it's good, but I can't judge that for you personally..

Truant said:
Ryan Amusements

Well, yeah. You've only done what is essentially the tutorial bit.

Truant

whatevermort said:
Well, yeah. You've only done what is essentially the tutorial bit.

Yeah, I figured as much. What I really did like was how lived-in all the environments felt. Lots of stuff growing everywhere, items scattered all over the place. They definitely did a good job on that.

Denzar

Loving the game so far. Great atmosphere, great story, great gameplay refinements and I play with the helmet ON.

Somehow it does not bother me, and it adds to the experience of being a Big Daddy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any PS3/360 comparisons yet? I'm dying to hear how the PS3 port turned out this time around.

Lakitu

st5fu
Received my copy just now :D Will start to play later this afternoon. Will post impressions of course. Can't wait, the first is one of my favourites.

dark10x

There was a link to a comparison some pages back. It was really close.

http://www.videogameszone.de/aid,704...Bildergalerie/
Thanks.

Hmm, surprisingly, the PS3 version looks sharper. The 360 shots look like the PS3 shots of the original. What's up with that? Almost seems like they got them reversed or something (which they didn't, as you can see button prompts on certain shots).

The big question for me is framerate. The PS3 version of Bioshock 1 could not hold a stable framerate, unlike the 360 version.

Take a look...

PS3 on top, 360 on the bottom
BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox_36.jpg

BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox-1.jpg

Truant

dark10x said:
Thanks.

Hmm, surprisingly, the PS3 version looks sharper. The 360 shots look like the PS3 shots of the original. What's up with that? Almost seems like they got them reversed or something.

Take a look...

They definitely got them reversed. It looks like the top image on my TV, on 360. The one below looks like a joke. There is some DoF/blur stuff when you first start the game. Could be that.

dark10x

Truant said:
They definitely got them reversed. It looks like the top image on my TV, on 360. The one below looks like a joke. There is some DoF/blur stuff when you first start the game. Could be that.
I thought they did, but no, that's not true. The other shots have the same differences, but you can see 360 button prompts on the blurry shots. All of the 360 shots are blurrier.

One thing I do see is that particles seem to be half resolution on PS3 (which is very common) to save bandwidth. That suggests that they took framerate more seriously this time.

Anyone play the PS3 version yet? I must know how smooth the framerate is (especially compared to the shitty original port).

Solo

Picking my copy up at noon. Looking forward to playing some of this tonight. Hopefully my many fears can be quelled.

Denzar

Don't forget that the PS3 version has a 5 gig install. That could make some difference. In any case it's not a HUGE difference.

I'm playing the PS3 version, and like the previous game you have the choice to lock or unlock you framerate. I'm playing locked, and up until now the game has not had any issues. I dropped noticably one time, with SHITTONS of action going on (A big Daddy, Big Sister and a Splicer were al hammering down on me while shit was blowing up and on fire and Security bots were defending my tin ass), but even then it remained playable (my guess was that the FPS were in the high 10's).

Overall it's a way more technically polished experience on PS3 then the first foray into Rapture on Sony's console.

dark10x said:
Thanks.

Hmm, surprisingly, the PS3 version looks sharper. The 360 shots look like the PS3 shots of the original. What's up with that? Almost seems like they got them reversed or something (which they didn't, as you can see button prompts on certain shots).

The big question for me is framerate. The PS3 version of Bioshock 1 could not hold a stable framerate, unlike the 360 version.

Take a look...

Well, I must have the special Jesus edition of Bioshock 2, as my 360 copy looks like neither of those. It's clean and crisp and not even close to blurry.

Solo

If you had the 360 version of the first, which was superior, dark10x, why not just get the 360 version of the second?

Denzar

That site does not seem to reliable to me.

Digital Foundry is working on a Face-Off. That should answer our questions relatively soon.

Top Bottom